Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Neighbors To "Friends" /..... Go Away

In celebration of the 25th anniversary of the sitcom’s debut, producer Warner Bros. Television hopes to temporarily install a replica of the iconic orange sofa from the show’s Central Perk coffee shop, on a sidewalk near 90 Bedford St. — the exterior of which was used as the home of Monica, Rachel, Joey and Chandler.

“From what I understand, Warner Bros. wants to put a couch in front of 90 Bedford so fans can sit on the couch and take a picture with the building in the background,” said Joey Campanaro, owner of The Little Owl restaurant that is located at the address.

But locals view the publicity stunt, scheduled to begin Sept. 21, as The One That Shouldn’t Happen.

“That block [at the corner of Bedford and Grove] already gets too many tourists and it’s not capable of containing large crowds,” Joe Gallagher, a Greenwich Village resident and Community Board 2 member, told The Post.

“We have at least 400 tourists a day coming to look at that building. They take pictures all day and all night. I come outside and there’s 20 people hanging out on my stoop or taking a pee around the corner,” said Bedford Street resident Rezar Skoda. “To close off the street or a section of the sidewalk would make it crazy.”

Warner Bros. filed an application with the city’s Street Activity Permit office for a full sidewalk closure of Bedford between Barrow and Grove streets — but company reps were a no-show at the Aug. 12 Community Board 2 meeting.

Instead, seven local residents attended and expressed grave couch concerns. One West Village resident called it a foolish and disruptive proposal. They argued the sidewalk is too narrow to contain the throngs of sofa-gazers.

Gallagher delivered an even worse diss to “Friends” fans: “There’s no real significance to that building . . . for it to disrupt the residents and businesses on that block.”

“The fact that they didn’t show up to the community board meeting is disrespectful to the neighborhood,” said restaurant owner Campanaro. “I’m glad the show is so popular. Good for them. I just don’t want them to do anything ­pirate-style, without a permit.”

A resolution to deny the event permit was unanimously ­adopted at the board meeting.

“We are excited to celebrate the 25th anniversary of ‘Friends’ in Manhattan next month,” a Warner Bros. Television spokesperson told The Post. “We were not aware of the community board meeting . . . or we would have absolutely been there to discuss the proposed event. We are hopeful we can still move forward with the permit and create a unique experience for fans.”

CB2’s denial of the event permit is only advisory; the application could still be approved by the Street Activity Permit office.

And if not, Campanaro has another idea: “I reached out to [Warner Bros.] and offered use of the interior of my restaurant.”

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 1:28 PM

As a neighbor, I agree. It’s ridiculous that a corporation is using an already tourist-overcrowded public street to promote their product. It’s fine if people want to take a picture but enough with the corporate capitalist BS.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2019 4:03 PM

There's already a Central Perk replica at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour (in Burbank.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2019 10:10 PM

There's already a Central Perk replica at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour (in Burbank.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2019 10:11 PM

I thought we were on a break.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2019 12:09 AM

I didn't even realize that was the "Friends" building until the other day while eating at The Little Owl. Someone at a neighboring table asked why all the people were taking photos and explained it. I thought they were all taking photos of the wooden house across the street.

I hadn't been to the Little Owl in a few years. Still good quality good and friendly staff. They used to have a laminated menu years ago which turned me off. They've replaced it with a paper menu in leather holders now feels better to me.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 12:54 PM

Put your stupid couch at 30 Rock with a digital background that could be anywhere. ; /

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 1:05 PM

Everyone loves when tourists spend money in their neighborhood but they don't actually want tourists to enter their neighborhood. I'm unsure about how that would work. Can we build a wall?

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 1:19 PM

R5 House across the street is for sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 1:44 PM

R8 -- Wow. Yearly taxes over 50,000 USD. More than some people make in a year. Maybe renting out the shed in back would at least pay the property taxes, but then you've got no garage.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2019 11:24 AM

Even Courtney Cox has visited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2019 10:48 AM

I find that house really appealing. A wood-framed 19th century house with wide plank floors plopped down in the west village... it's kooky. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2019 11:01 AM

Neveer in my life did I watch that zombie show. where are there really people like the asshole plastic fuks who are on those shows and spout them dumb shit lines????

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2019 1:09 PM

Put a couch on the street and hope that a homeless person stretches out on it and refuses to get up. Fuck weirdos who need to insert themselves into a stupid show they love.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2019 1:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!