Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people here hate royalty?

I think it will be a sad day when they are no more. It’s as if you people want to strip all the beauty and mystery from the world. “Oh, they’re just like everybody else.” Isn’t that a sad outlook?

Are you just a bunch of bolsheviks?

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2019 3:58 PM

Because they're wealthy layabouts who in many cases have put their own interests above those of their countries.

Because they owe their positions to lucky sperm, not personal accomplishment.

Because their time has come and gone.

"Above all things our royalty is to be reverenced, and if you begin to poke about it you cannot reverence it…Its mystery is its life. We must not let in daylight upon magic."

Walter Bagehot, [italic]The English Constitution[/italic]

Except they've poking at it for years. They are hardly the source for much, if any, of the beauty and mystery of the world. The sunlight his dispersed all the mystery except why you keep paying for their lazy asses.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2019 3:55 PM

"They've been poking"

And Andy's been poking 17 year olds if Ms. Giuffre is correct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2019 3:58 PM

I like them just fine in a burlap sack with a couple dozen heavy rocks.

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2019 4:02 PM

R1, it sounds like basically you’re just jealous. Why does wealth and position have to be tied to accomplishment? You sound like a Communist.

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2019 4:07 PM

I don't think they do, OP. I once made a thread that trashed the Queen, and DL went in on me like I'd never seen before, she is very loved here. I for one, don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2019 4:10 PM

[quote]Why does wealth and position have to be tied to accomplishment?

I don't see how I'm going to make it through the summer.

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2019 4:10 PM

R4 and you sound like a troll...

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2019 4:12 PM

Why not? They're a bigger than normal target, they have freaks like Charlie the tampon, Real Bill, Waity Katy, MEgain, and Randy the Pedo. Camilla can be amusing. I'd vote to keep her, but only for all official visits into the future.

I eagerly await the fruition of little George's dance career.

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2019 4:13 PM

Just look at the House of Windsor to understand, perhaps not hatred, but the belief that monarchs and royalty are anachronisms in the 21st century and are long past their expiration date.

The Prince of Wales wants to reincarnate as a tampon in the trousers of his now wife. He travels with favorite pictures and mattresses. His valet squeezes the tooth paste for him. His ideas on architecture and homeopathic medicine are an embarrassment. He has access with his nutty ideas to government ministers that the average Briton cannot imagine.

The Duke of York is a boorish, snobbish, self-important imbecile who accepts graft, gifts, and greed from foreign dictators and their ilk. Must I mention Jeffrey Epstein?

Their father was lauded for his humor and for speaking his mind a few years ago. In reality, the Duke of Edinburgh was a penniless prince thrust upon the world stage through marriage. His humor and his outspokenness highlights the fact that he is a racist imbecile. I suspect that the Duke of York owes his lack of intellect to his father. The man is also a bully.

The brood is a lot of inbred boobs, whose only interests are horses, dogs, and hunting!

Notice my moniker. I may have an axe to grind against that dynasty!

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2019 4:15 PM

R9, to me, that makes them seem fun. Even more reason to love them! Why begrudge people wealth and luxury?

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2019 4:19 PM

They inherited it and who cares, R10? Just because their toilets are gold does not make them less likely to have a case of the shits.

It's their appalling lack of good manners by placing themselves above others, and the generally bad behavior that accompanies that attitude, that merits scrutiny and contempt.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2019 4:24 PM

This place is crawling with queens and princesses who are anonymous, with nothing and no one to rule.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2019 4:39 PM

R4 is on the TROLL PATROL.

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 4:43 PM

I don't hate royalty, I find it fascinating. But the people here tend to treat royalty as if we're in the middle ages. The world has changed and royal families, for the most part, have changed with it. They are just people, but the posters here want to keep them locked into ancient rules and traditions that no one gives two fucks about. And half that shit that is reported on royals is just not true or blown up to sell news or designed as a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2019 4:58 PM

The French and the Russians had the right ideas, end the royals in a spectacular way that would enshrine them in history and make people wary of establishing those lines of rule again.

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2019 5:02 PM

The DL hates everyone on some level. Also being mean/bitchy is more fun than being kind, even though it corrodes your soul over time.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2019 5:03 PM

People resent royalty when they (royals) are bankrolled by working people's taxes. If you are looking for beauty and mystery, there are lots of other places to look.

by Anonymousreply 17August 30, 2019 5:03 PM

Because we’re not monarchists. This isn’t the 16th century. We live in a time of great wealth inequality and the concept of hereditary monarchy snd aristocracy is disgusting to most of us. People who worship these parasitic relics are the real problem.

We need another revolution. Now.

by Anonymousreply 18August 30, 2019 5:30 PM

R10 is amused by snobby racists? Pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 19August 30, 2019 5:34 PM

I detest them all except for Queenie, Anne and Phil the coffin dodger. The latest generation trying to show the “common” touch and “we’re just like you guv’ really” storylines really is a step too far to stomach.

by Anonymousreply 20August 30, 2019 5:43 PM

Well, Napoleon just rose to the “hottest” in the early 19th century monarch thread. The Christmas Moose is currently in second place but was leading all morning. I think George III looks a lot lime Prince William today. Poll at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 30, 2019 5:56 PM

The Scandinavian royals, especially the Norwegian RF, are very down to earth people. They also have the least amount of wealth. It’s always been like that. Maybe that’s why they’re so nice?

by Anonymousreply 22August 30, 2019 5:58 PM

R20 ______ the coffin dodger is my new favorite phrase for very old people, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 23August 30, 2019 6:01 PM

There are Royals who understand noblisse oblige and others who exploit their positions. Too bad the BRF has become too much of the latter with the accompanying condescending attitude of the totally ungrateful.

by Anonymousreply 24August 30, 2019 6:07 PM

"Why begrudge people wealth and luxury?"

Because they have far more wealth and luxury than they need (and as others have pointed out, haven't earned). But more importantly, there are people who toil their entire lives doing hard, physical labor and never even come close to obtaining a small fraction of the wealth and luxury these parasites have had handed to them on a silver platter.

by Anonymousreply 25August 30, 2019 6:22 PM

[quote]Because they have far more wealth and luxury than they need (and as others have pointed out, haven't earned).

Isn’t part of the definition of wealth and luxury that it’s far more than one needs? What’s this obsession with “earning” everything? The glorification of work seems awfully Puritan/Communist.

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2019 11:04 PM

Fuck you OP. Fuck you in your Brit ass. We hate Brits and we hate you. We don’t care about your goddam royalty so fucking go cry your filthy crocodile tears to someone else. We don’t have time to think about your royalty like you think we do. Stay in you own shit hole country with all your refugees that have ruined it and all the fatties that eat all your junk food. I hope you get aids and your teeth fall out and then you have diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 27August 30, 2019 11:09 PM

Op, because most people would love to be them. Unlike Bezo's children or other titans of industry, Royals are well known and visible targets. They also have ceremonial roles yet find time to still complain about their luck in life, often forgetting that everyone else has to go to a job that may be less than desirable. Their idea of "work" is on par with the social diary of a Park Avenue trophy wife.

By birth these people have the ear of the government, they are waited on hand and foot, have dazzling jewelry, 1st class travel & accommodations, along with homes so grand that even modern billionaires would think twice about owning. So yeah, people have a few bones to pick with royals.

That said, DL does not hate royalty. We love the drama and glamour of it all. I mean this is a site that argues over the correct way to strain your noodles, Talking about royal precedence and attire is like catnip for many people on DL. What we hate are the trolls that have taken over the royalty threads, conveniently after a particular bi-racial person joined the Brits, to spread their thinly veiled racism and sexism. If we could go back to talking about royals without turning every thread into stan wars between the Cambridge vs Sussex's then DL would be a better place.

by Anonymousreply 28August 30, 2019 11:13 PM

Two things about royalty:

They have quality and beautiful clothing. I’d like to touch some of their stuff, it must feel grand. Everything fits, is not faded, and not worn.

And, I bet someone changes their bed linen daily, and I am jealous about that.

by Anonymousreply 29August 30, 2019 11:19 PM

Americans have a love/hate relationship with royalty. They look down on those born into enormous wealth and privilege yet their own 0.01% are de facto royalty.

by Anonymousreply 30August 30, 2019 11:25 PM

r30 Americans do not look down on royalty. If anything their own subjects are more critical of them than we are. We have this curiosity with the entire institution because it's just free entertainment. We don't have to pay for any of them or hear about them unless breaking news occurs. It's really the best of both worlds.

We had a royalty thread about the BRF a couple of months ago. It was actually a really pleasant conversation like we used to have on DL. Given the time of night in the States, our British brothers were likely asleep. But once it hit 8 or 9 am in the UK, the thread turned into another toxic waste dump site.

by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2019 11:32 PM

I don't hate them. I like the gossip especially about that colored Markle girl.

After Diana, Sarah, Duchess of York is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2019 1:16 AM

God save the queen The fascist regime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2019 1:27 AM

I don’t hate royalty. I do hate the American 1%. Things would be better if the executive officers of the ten largest banks faced the guillotine in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2019 1:33 AM

…….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2019 1:34 AM

It's Datalounge, what don't we hate?

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2019 1:35 AM

Because we're American.

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2019 1:38 AM

Lloyd Blankfein from Goldman.

Jamie Diamond from JO Mortgage.

Mr. Logan from State Street Bank.

B of A, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Wachovia, Merril Lynch, etc.

Chop, chop, chop.

Remember the audacity of all those in the banks paying their regular, huge employee bonuses immediately after their banks got bailout money? The government should have taken the banks, and refused to pay those bonuses.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2019 1:38 AM

R27 seems to have no idea what it does to itself with such harsh, ugly speak. Bad energy!

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2019 1:38 AM

OP, here's the thing, people who claim to be superior beings should act the role. Superior beings don't get divorces, bother teenagers for sex, or want to be a tampon.

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2019 1:39 AM

America was founded in part, in objection to Royalty and vast, inherited wealth. That’s one reason why we need a large inheritance tax.

But most monarchies today are democratic. This wasn’t true in 1776.

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2019 1:40 AM

Friends of Jeff Epstein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2019 1:41 AM

America is pretty much a Cuntocracy these days, r41. However we started it's pretty much rule of Rich Cunts these days, whatever we say about The Glorious People or Our Glorious Heritage. We're generally always lying about that.

by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2019 1:44 AM

R39, I think that Black-Business-Woman is a joke account. She responds like that to everything.

Hey, R27, Black-Business-Woman, what do you think about raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens?

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2019 1:46 AM

Prince Andrew was part of Epstein's inner circle. Seen here with Epstein's madam, Ghislaine Maxwell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2019 1:48 AM

Aww, Prince Andrew, or Randy Andy, was hot during the Falkland Islands war. He got so old!

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2019 1:49 AM

that's a very middle class, even puritanical view of Aristocracy r40. Once you decide there are Superior People, there is nothing to stop them from getting divorces, hitting on teenagers or pretending to be tampons. Nothing in superiority implies you have to act like a Victorian bourgeois ideal of how everyone should act.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2019 1:54 AM

R41 I think you mean the United States.

Cuz when push comes to shove, I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2019 1:55 AM

Interesting hat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2019 1:59 AM

I semi-hate the royal family, mainly because they have cool stuff and I want it, and they’re stupid lazy shitheads who are too dumb to work.They should be doing better things with their wealth and position but they aren’t, mainly because they are so damn stupid. I don’t actually hate them because they don’t seem to do active harm. They’re like pet cats.

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2019 2:07 AM

In fairness, i'm not sure what they are supposed to do r50. If they express any political opinion, there will be shrieks and howls from all sides. So what? Another Art Gallery? Sponsor a Broadway Show? Royal Knockabout? (wasn't that a thing, Brits?) What exactly should they do with all that wealth?

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2019 2:11 AM

" It’s as if you people want to strip all the beauty and mystery from the world. "

You have a bizarre concept of beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2019 2:22 AM

As an American, I resent how much money QE2 and her fam spend marketing their family in the United States. I had a friend who told me they had publicists who draft stupid stories to keep the family in American's minds. Elizabeth still thinks she can somehow take back America. Ugh.

The two guys are fugly as hell. One is bald and anemic looking. The other is a balding ginger.

I met and worked with Meghan Markle MANY years ago in LA before she got Suits and she did calligraphy for an event I had to put together. I hired her for more after, as she was super easy to work with and really friendly. She is crazy as a fox but smart as hell. There is no doubt in my mind that she has some crazy scheme in mind. Like, literally, I have no doubt that if she TRULY wanted it, she could succeed Elizabeth. Meghan was all vision boards and LoA Hollywood shit, so there's no doubt in my mind that she didn't have a pic of the ginger on a piece of cardboard with a picture of her next to it. That crazy half-black American bitch will probably be ruling Britain/commonwealth countries in 15 years.

I will bet my entire networth that she has a vision board somewhere with a QE2 crown on her fucking head.

Love you, Meghan. You had the best hand of all my scripters I hired and you were so easy and interesting to work with.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2019 2:22 AM

Why exactly do you resent that, r53? You actually seem perfectly at ease in the bullshit world of Hollywood publicity and nonsense. Why would that bother you specifically when it comes to the nonsense of royal marketing? And honestly, seriuously, you think Queen Elizabeth II thinks she can "take America back" whatever that is supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2019 2:26 AM

R51 What Broadway show did the BRF produce? And how was King George III received when Hamilton played the Westend Brits?

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2019 2:27 AM

I don't think they ever produced any, R55. I was answering r50, wondering what the modern British royals are supposed to do with their money and fame? He seemed to indicate they are wasting it, but it seems like they pretty much have to waste it, the way things are set up these days. Seriously, if you or any of you were a British Prince or Princess, what would you do with your money and fame? I have no idea since every avenue seems to be a Big Problem, unless you just want to do the most bland and useless events.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2019 2:32 AM

R54 - with Hollywood marketing, they're promoting a product that several thousands of people were involved in creating, all of which (to some degree) reap the rewards of working on a successful project.

Elizabeth's promotion of her family in the United States through pre-written tabloid pieces and "awww, aren't they cute" puff pieces are designed to keep American minds on that freakish German family with a predisposition to premature balding, who took over the British throne. No other royal houses in existence are as intent on garnering American attention on them.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2019 2:33 AM

There'll always be drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2019 2:33 AM

I’m told that General Benedict Arnold was not treated well in England, after the war, proving that nobody likes a snitch. Oh, and thanks for burning my hometown to the ground, Benedict.

In the future, kids may not know who Benedict Arnold was, as he will have been eclipsed by DJT.

by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2019 2:34 AM

People who love the Royals are regressive right wingers with no self-worth. They are anti-democracy and anti-equality. They are homophobic and racist.

That's why everyone is so fucking nuts on those Meghan Markle threads.

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2019 2:36 AM

The funny thing is that Americans don't seem to realize that they essentially have the same thing in their own land. Class and wealth is what it boils down to.

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2019 2:37 AM

sorry but what the hell are you talking about r57? Again, I'm sure you don't mind pre-written tabloid pieces and awww, aint they cute puff pieces for dingbats and clowns and fools and assholes that just happen to be movie or TV celebrities, so why suddenly be pissed if they are about royalty. and yeah, marketing the royals probably benefits a lot of nonroyals too. There's a whole group of servants and hangers on there, just like every Hollywood celebrity. And the British royal family doesn't have to work on garnering American attention. it just happens. We like it. there is no particular logic to it, except some vague historical connection. But seriously, it is no different. there is no reason to care about the latest star either. it just happens.

by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2019 2:38 AM

R57, it worked well for the Windsors, and Britain, in two world wars.

There have been lots of German settlers in the US, and the German Bund had a Madison Sq. Garden rally that was well attended, (Feb, 1939). I think our alliance with The UK is explained in part because of our shared language.

by Anonymousreply 63August 31, 2019 2:40 AM

r62 - maybe you're right, but that as an American I feel like Elizabeth and her fucked up German family have no place on our continent and as much as I dislike Trump, I adored him and Melanoma for not bowing to her like Barry and Michelle (who I voted for twice) did.

by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2019 2:42 AM

ok fine, you're not obligated to like anything or anybody r64. I can't imagine liking the cunt Trump or the cunt Melania for any reason, but YMMV. They seem the ultimate in useless celebrity that has no business being liked on any continent in any planet. But maybe that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2019 2:45 AM

r65 - I agree with you, but I just like how they didn't bow before foreign royals.

But I guess he bows before russian oligarchs. Fuck, I'm just stupid. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2019 2:52 AM

You're not stupid. I'm just in a really bad mood. But I do think celebrity and royalty is so mixed up these days that I don't know why some people like celebrity and are offended by royalty. But I'm being meaner about the whole thing than I need to be, because my country is falling apart because of a shitstain allegedly running the place.

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2019 2:55 AM

[quote]R5 I once made a thread that trashed the Queen, and DL went in on me like I'd never seen before, she is very loved here.

Not really.

She’s a plain faced frau who doesn’t even wear clothes well.

She’s done nothing extraordinary (aside from staying upright all these years ... has no particular talent beyond keeping a straight face (and bleeding her country dry thru Welfare handouts).

Why she’s held up as something reverential I’ll never know.

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote]People who love the Royals are regressive right wingers with no self-worth. They are anti-democracy and anti-equality. They are homophobic and racist.

That's a gross generalization You don't know me to assume that I'm any of those things. And I don't 'love' the Royals. I read about them because I find them an interesting piece of social history.

I neither love nor hate Royalty. In my case, I'm speaking only about European constitutional monarchies. There are monarchies elsewhere in the world (Asia, Africa and Oceania), but I know too little about them to discuss them, although I would read with interest any threads started about them. And my sense of Royalty isn't confined to the British royals. But I do notice that the European constitutional monarchies have been among the more progressive nations, with rights for gay and Lesbian people, unlike many of the republics which share the continent. Being American, I certainly never grew up having much respect for the traditional aristocracy, but in the current age, I find I have more respect for a Princess Anne who dutifully cuts ribbons, unveils plaques and meets the public, then goes home to help muck out the horses stalls. In the US, our aristocracy seems to be based solely on wealth, but most people can tell there's a difference between someone like (the late) Brooke Astor versus a newly minted billionaire like Kylie Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2019 3:45 AM

Why is your answer so long, r69? It makes you look fanatically invested.

I’m not wading thru that.

Make your point, and move on.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2019 3:47 AM

honestly, I think the Queen is respected for constantly doing her job, whether she wants to or not, while most famous people just seem to be dicking around doing nonsense and stupidity. I think she is generally liked and respected for doing a job, even if most people don't particularly like the job or care about the job, but just doing the job she inherited to the best of her ability. that is actually kind of noble, however you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2019 3:49 AM

QEII owns like 600 Leonardo’s, she could sell them and support her family for years rather than taking all that money from the people of UK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2019 4:18 AM

maybe someday the entire Royal Family will separate from all of you Brits, r72, but do you truly want that, truly?

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2019 4:21 AM

"I am you king!"

"I didn't vote for you."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2019 4:30 AM

every queen wants her crown

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2019 4:36 AM

It would be kind of fun to do a TV show where the BRF is deposed and sent to exile in Manitoba and living on welfare. It could be called Lizzie on Assistance.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2019 4:48 AM

[quote]Op, because most people would love to be them.

I have a feeling many, if not most, of us here would prefer our immense wealth with a healthy dose of anonymity.

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2019 6:31 AM

The monarchy is fine until they face a constitutional crisis like QE2 today.

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2019 10:18 AM

For R76

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2019 11:06 AM

The royal family, for all its issues and all its problems, makes the whole United Kingdom matter a little more. It's not the tourism. That's always been a silly answer. It's the fact that people around the world care about this family, and therefore the country, more than they otherwise would. People still want that invite to Buckingham Palace more than a White House invite or a Kremlin invite or whatever the hell they get in China.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2019 1:32 PM

I think the Queen plays the role of benevolent grandmother to the nation. Even though she is quite human and not saintly, she seems that she is. She certainly is a model of decorum in a vulgar age. We’ll see lots of histrionics when she goes, even though she’s lived a full and rich life.

[quote] R72: QEII owns like 600 Leonardo’s, she could sell them and support her family for years rather than taking all that money from the people of UK

I once heard something similar about the riches of a Catholic Church in Mexico. They could remove all the gold leaf off of the church as well as the Church’s artwork, and sell it, then use the proceeds to benefit the poor. The response to that is that the poor (then) had the Church as a refuge. A place to go to escape their dreary lives. The church lasts for generations, too, in theory. I can speak from experience when I stumbled into Notre Dame as a tourist and they were having a special mass. The chorus was so incredible, I stayed for the whole thing.

I hope Will builds a museum for his excess artwork, someday. It does seem a shame that it’s stored away.

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2019 1:48 PM

There is a difference between what the Queen owns personally and what is owned by the Crown.

Sounds as if the DaVinci's are part of the Royal Collection which would mean they are owned by the Crown.

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2019 2:13 PM

They are vile parasites and not like everyone else, they are scum, grifters, the worst of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2019 2:22 PM

R81, R72 I believe people deserve beauty in their lives and churches definitely provide that for many. But I’m all for dismantling and selling off the contents of the Vatican Museum for the Catholic church to live up to its supposed mission of charity and helping the poor.

In June a lost Caravaggio went for an estimated $170 Million dollars, if they put theirs, which is one of his major works, on the market imagine the money that could be used to support the world’s needy. And that is just one painting and not dismantling the ones they hold in situ. All the art could go and in its place a shelter and soup kitchen could be set up with unlimited funding from the sale as well as hundreds like it the world over and hardly deplete the funding.

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2019 2:23 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda not for selling off all the art treasures of the world, including at the Vatican. Just so they disappear into some rich asshole's attic or basement? The Vatican Museum is an international wonder. I'm glad it's there.

I'm all for a real wealth tax on everything though, profit, nonprofit, religious, nonreligious. You own something great and valuable, you pay a wealth tax that goes into a general fund for the poor and hungry.

by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2019 2:26 PM

You people are so tiresome.

My only complaint about the Royal Family is that I'm not part of it. I want to be rich-rich-rich for doing absolutely nothing except being born. THAT was enough. Or should have been..

by Anonymousreply 86August 31, 2019 2:43 PM

Half the rich in America have that these days r86. Not that there is no price to pay. Sometimes you have to be a Trump, which is a hell of a burden. But really, a lot of times it's just son or daughter of some doofus who struck it rich for some stupid ass reason and voila, there you are.

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2019 2:45 PM

[Quote] It's the fact that people around the world care about this family, and therefore the country, more than they otherwise would

That's one way of putting it.

Monarchies exist in countries with feudal legacies. Therefore they encapsulate, symbolize, and represent the cultural and historical heritage of the people.

To serve this role well - or to make people continuing to care to use r80 terms - the institution had to be configured at regular intervals, from every few decades to a few centuries, to continue doing this with successive systems or eras, such as industrialization, capitalism, socialism, or post-colonialism.

History will soon tell if the Queen has served this function this time, or has simply moved with the times to keep up with a British society that has different values.

by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2019 3:17 PM

It comes across as a curse. Just looking at the Brits, Charles couldn't marry who he wanted. Neither of his sons really want it and who could blame them, it drove their mother insane and eventually killed her. Prisoners have more freedom.

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2019 3:25 PM

R89 Not unusual in royal families.

by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2019 3:33 PM

I think that in William's case, he is making sure that his own family with his wife and children is not fucked up. So that if the monarchy ends either before he is king or after, that he will not have sacrificed a loving family to that institution.

Princess Anne, who rejected a title for both her (first) husband (second as well) and her children, appears to be close to them and her grandchildren.

And Andrew for all his faults, seems to really love his children. Same appears to be true with Edward & Sophie.

The Queen lost out on her early married live and the early days with her first 2 children because she was thrust into the position of Queen at a very young age. With the exception of Charles & Diana, her children appear to have benefited from her experience. And the beneficiaries are the Queen's grandchildren and great grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2019 4:19 PM

I don't think Americans should have any input into how other countries feel about their royalty. I'm an American, and from looking on the outside, it seems to be an exasperation with the royalty and aristocracy tradition. England is full of these landed aristocrats who jump in the line for schools, jobs, and the social world just because of a title.

It's shocking that up until recently, the other half of their parliament (House of Lords) was primarily just inherited positions. Imagine if the US Senate seats were handed down generation after generation with no votes and no litmus test of the person's abilities.

Now, as far as royalty go, the question is - what the fuck do you do with these palaces and everything without a royal family? It's not really a great job - you're effectively life-time diplomats and you have no choice. The second tier of royalty need to get fucking jobs. Nobody is calling for Princess Eugenie to be anywhere.

But the aristocracy? That shit should go.

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2019 4:41 PM

You know I'd settle for Princess Eugenie over Donald Trump in pretty much any situation that requires the illusion of empathy or interest. In fact, that whole think that royalty does, showing up in a crisis to at least pretend to care, that is something we could use these days. Can we borrow a princess now and then UK?

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2019 5:14 PM

Royals are a bunch of lazy freeloaders who should be tossed out with the rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2019 5:45 PM

[R87] Of course you're right....I forgot to mention that I also want to wear a crown and be swathed in MAJESTY for doing absolutely nothing. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2019 7:00 PM

As far as Will and Harry not wanting the crown; they want the wealth, I bet. I don’t think they’d trade their current situation for that of a shop-bottom who worries about making his rent payments, or whatever. They’d have to shed the connections somehow, too. I know there are poor royals that still hobnob with the jet set, somehow.

So, they get no pity from me. We all are born into unique situations, and theirs is pretty posh. My last job was 7 x 24, and I didn’t have anyone to do my laundry.

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2019 9:25 PM

If I meet the Queen, or Will, not that I ever will, but as an American, do I bow my head? That seems wrong, as we fought a war against all that represents, but what to do?

by Anonymousreply 97September 1, 2019 12:42 AM

You shake their hand. Only their subjects are required to bow or curtsy.

by Anonymousreply 98September 1, 2019 12:45 AM

RE: shaking hands, I do recall that you should wait for the Queen to extend her hand first, . Only if she does, do you shake it. It’s similar to that business where you don’t speak to the Queen first. She must initiate the conversation. Also, you don’t propose marriage to the Queen, were she single. She proposes to you. I learned that last one from the “Victoria” show on PBS.

Actually, outside of business, aren’t men supposed to wait for a woman to extend their hand, to shake?

by Anonymousreply 99September 1, 2019 12:57 AM

You're expected to start deepthroating their shoes, apparently. And thank them afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 100September 1, 2019 1:20 AM

Have you seen this country lately, r97

by Anonymousreply 101September 1, 2019 1:30 AM

Gay monarchs of Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 1, 2019 4:54 AM

R97 - no, don't bow to foreign monarchy if you are American.

Yes, they WANT you to do so, but you're under no obligation and as an American, you really shouldn't because the nation is founded on not having monarchy.

Trump and Megalomania not bowing/nodding etc to QE2 was absolutely the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 103September 6, 2019 2:59 PM

[quote] You sound like a Communist.

Go to bed, Liz, you should rest - you don't have too many days left in front of you.

by Anonymousreply 104September 6, 2019 3:03 PM

Why should I bow in front of some parasite loser dog who owes everything he has in life to the fact that he was spurted into a breeding sow's vagina by an equally useless penis.

I'll bow in front of someone who manages to cure cancer or bring about world peace but not for some low-IQ crowned head.

by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2019 3:06 PM

Hot off the press: Twin Girls and "We'll Name One Diana"

This will make up for that Brexit crisis thing!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 14, 2019 1:29 AM

Sarah Ferguson is the one that I cannot stand. Greedy and homely.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2019 2:03 PM

Some Americans (like me) detest the UK royalty because the "royalty" spend TONS OF MONEY promoting the royalty in the United States. The Queen STILL thinks she can take back the United States. Not now. Not in her lifetime. But she still wants dominion over us. She wants Americans thinking of "the royalty" constantly.

Lots of other countries have royal families, many with far more attractive guys than Wills and Harry (DL guys, give us a listing of the hot royals). But these Royal Houses are NOT promoting themselves in the U.S. like the Windsors.

Don't give your mind to a fake German house.

by Anonymousreply 108October 5, 2019 2:11 AM

Because they're a needless leach on society, and are generally uninteresting people without merit, unworthy of headlines.

by Anonymousreply 109October 5, 2019 2:15 AM

Hate royalty? on DL? there are only a half dozen threads on the subject moving around in the top thread index on any given day here.

We LOVE royalty here, and endlessly talking about all aspects of it even when critical.

by Anonymousreply 110October 5, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote]The Queen STILL thinks she can take back the United States. Not now. Not in her lifetime. But she still wants dominion over us. She wants Americans thinking of "the royalty" constantly.

Yes, you are definitely American. Your education shines through.

by Anonymousreply 111October 5, 2019 2:25 AM

"shines through"?

by Anonymousreply 112October 5, 2019 2:26 AM

I don’t respect royalty anymore because their gene pool is often degenerated and produces oddly deformed, low-functioning members like the British royal family.

by Anonymousreply 113October 5, 2019 1:26 PM

[quote] r99: Actually, outside of business, aren’t men supposed to wait for a woman to extend their hand, to shake?

Miss Manners asked me to step in as she is unavailable for comment. You are correct, r99. Also, a gentleman takes his gloves off to shake hands in the Continental US and Hawaii. A gentleman does not visit Alaska and therefore need not be concerned with shaking hands there.

by Anonymousreply 114October 5, 2019 1:36 PM

People here hardly hate royalty. Someone in another thread keeps trying trying to make the late Queen Mother happen, despite the fact the elderly lush has been dead (at 102) for seventeen years.

Some people worship their supposed betters. I cannot for the life of me understand why.

by Anonymousreply 115October 5, 2019 11:49 PM

I like them. Like zoo animals like them.

by Anonymousreply 116October 6, 2019 12:18 AM

Queen Mum was an ardent racist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2019 3:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!