Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Stand Back" - Is this Stevie Nicks best solo song? Its an underrated GEM of a song

I know Edge of Seventeen is her most famous and popular, but this is my favorite song by her. I LOVE IT. It is absolutely hypnotic and sounds like a beautiful dream mixed with a nightmare happening. It's haunting, catchy and fun.

Such an underrated GEM of a song.

I also like the video with those gay dancers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2021 5:13 AM

The 2019 Remaster

She looks gorgeous in that photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2019 10:55 AM

The "Tracy Takes You Home Mixshow" is brilliantly fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2019 10:58 AM

Love this song

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2019 3:36 PM

Were the vocals toward the end hers? They sounded different.

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2019 2:18 PM

I love this remix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2019 2:30 PM

YES!! I remember buying the 45 vinyl single years ago when it came out and I loved it. Her best!

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2019 2:36 PM

Yes, Stevie didn't have many good songs, this song, Enchanted and Edge of Seventeen were about it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2019 2:37 PM

Best! The Prince-inspired synth still raises goosebumps.

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2019 2:40 PM

God, I love this song. And yes, r8 - the Prince-synth is sublime. I never knew until a couple of years ago that he was in the studio with her and was the one who nailed that sound.

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2019 2:51 PM

I love the Prince backstory and the fact that they were able to create spontaneous magic together that seems almost mythic the way Stevie describes it. It feels very much of its time, but still timeless. Wonderful song and a sad reminder of how bleak pop music is in 2019 by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2019 3:00 PM

I prefer If Anyone Falls- but Stand Back is great, too.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2019 3:03 PM

She had a lot of songs on movie soundtracks in the 80s that should have been hits.

Blue Lamp (Heavy Metal)

Battle Of The Dragon (American Anthem)

Violet and Blue (Against All Odds)

Sleeping Angel (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2019 3:26 PM

"a sad reminder of how bleak pop music is in 2019 by comparison."

dear lord, aint that the truth.

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 3:27 PM

This could be a good song if it was given to a singer who didn't sound like she needed a hole to smoke out of her throat and that tacky two note synth arpeggio before the guitar solo was eviscerated. Sounds like a mediocre Siouxsie song actually.

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2019 3:35 PM

This is one of my all-time favorite songs. This and “My Neck, My Back”.

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2019 7:16 PM

This song was playing in Stevie's limo when she KICKED MY DAUGHTER IN HER POONANNY!!!!!!!

Rendering her BARREN and she is also now only 4 feet tall!!! (Her top half collapsed on her bottom half when her Vagina Bone was shattered)

FUCKING BITCH!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2019 7:46 PM

And those keyboards on this song are so hot and sleek. THAT makes the song. Stevie's vocal is -okay- and her goat voice fits the song very well..

I love this Instrumental version of the song. Again those first keyboards are just awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2019 3:17 PM

Great song although Stop Draggin' My Heart Around was her biggest hit here, and I Can't Wait was more underrated.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2019 4:15 PM

My favourite solo of hers is “If You Ever Did Believe”.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2019 4:20 PM

And my FAVORITE part of this song is

YOU COULD BE STANDIN' IN!!!!

You could be standin in!!!!!!

The MOST NONSENSICAL lyric ever, that JUST WORKS!!!!

Its so fucking awesome. Especially live.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2019 8:58 PM

How many threads can be devoted to this old bag? She must be second only to Barbra Streisand among DL obsessives.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2019 9:22 PM

R21, After that Fleetwood Mac/ Lindsey shit, I think this had is a CUNT. However, I LOVE this song, and I LOVE Stevie circa 1977-1983. I own that.

But yes, I have criticized Stevie before, and this place WILL. NOT.HAVE. IT.

(Like her voice has been SHOT since 1989. Despite some on and off moments from 97-2011 or so)

SHOT!!!!! Streisand actually sounds WORSE than Stevie, which is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2019 9:26 PM

Sorry, fucking Mac. "I THINK THIS HAG IS A CUNT"..

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2019 9:27 PM

On repeat

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2019 3:08 AM

Brilliant song. Not underrated though.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2019 3:22 AM

This is my favorite of her solo efforts. I remember being entranced by the TV whenever it came on Night Flight, or later, MTV.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2019 3:29 AM

One of my favorites

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2019 3:57 AM

The opening keyboard and the melody "la la la la la la la" is just so perfect and has never gotten old in 35 years. That synth is just perfection. THAT'S a HOOK.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2019 4:03 AM

Is it underrated? I remember it was played endlessly when it came out and the Prince connection has kept it on people’s radars more than most of her other solo hits.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2019 4:05 AM

YES. Totally. Music, lyrics, and her delivery are aces.

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2019 4:06 AM

R21- Shaad Up. You cunts with the “old bag” shit. Barbara, Stevie Nicks, and a plethora of others greats are iconic, and earned their due. Yes, their old now; is that their fault? It’s going to happen to you Mary; hopefully sooner rather than later.

Go fuck yourself deeply, with a white hot poker, you shallow, insignificant, dweeb.

r 30

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2019 4:14 AM

Saw her a few years ago. She starts on time. She opened with Stand Back and we missed it. She just stands there and sings. Fabulousity.

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2019 4:33 AM

In my heart of hearts, this is favorite solo song of Stevie’s. I didn’t that Prince laid down the synthesizer tracks until reading this thread, but it makes perfect sense.

My sister caught me singing along to Stand Back at maximum volume in my bedroom, and has never let me forget it since.

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2019 5:49 AM

Prince is a genius and is sorely missed. They made a hell of a song. Prince always worked well with female artists.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2019 6:15 AM

I think it's one of those songs that I loved from the first minute I heard it. It had such a cool, sleek vibe that was totally distinct from Fleetwood Mac. I played the 45 endlessly as a kid and tried to imitate Stevie's twirls when nobody was looking.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2019 6:51 AM

She sounds kind of like she has a stuffy nose, and also took a blast of helium.

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2019 7:05 AM

I love Stand Back.

This song too, is fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2019 7:15 AM

It's my fave. Gives me goosebumps

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2019 7:20 AM

[italic]In the middle of my room I did not hear from you.”[/italic]

Wut??

Would the acoustics have been better if she were standing in a corner?

by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2019 7:23 AM

Great song. But agree with others - it's not underrated. It was a big hit at the time and she still performs it in concert and I believe she sings it even when touring with Fleetwood Mac.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2019 7:34 AM

This song could come out today, right now, and be a hit.

Guys, good music knows no time. It doesn’t care if everyone is singing absolute shit pop.

If Stevie were a 19 or 20 yo ingenue TODAY, and came out on some stage, somewhere, or in some music video on YouTube, dressed in her flowing skirts and feather laden roach-clips attached to her hair, while twirling around, she once again, become a HUGE star.

The song is fantastic. It’s a hit, which is why we have yet another thread on Stevie’s work, which was created, because Stevie Nicks is a fucking STAR.

Props to F-Mac, particularly Buckingham, who in my estimation, is one of the BEST guitarists of the last century, and one of the most talented musicians to ever come out of the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2019 7:57 AM

There was always something kind of pugfaced and tacky about this singer - -

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2019 8:20 AM

She seems messy but I love this song.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2019 12:24 PM

What R41 said. Truth!

r 30 & r 31

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2019 12:33 PM

This is her best song

by Anonymousreply 45March 18, 2020 10:17 PM

I swear this woman sounds like a bleating goat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2020 10:29 PM

OP, just to be clear: would you characterize it as, say, an underrated GEM of a song?

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2020 10:31 PM

Not only did Prince play the synth parts in one take live, Stevie wrote the song based on hearing Little Red Corvette for the first time.

The verse melody of Stand Back is basically the verse melody of LRC. you can sing either over either music.

She called him up and asked him if it's ok and she gave him 50% of the publishing

(for those who don't know the whole story)

by Anonymousreply 48March 18, 2020 10:32 PM

Stand Back and If Anyone Falls are classic.

by Anonymousreply 49March 18, 2020 10:33 PM

r46, that goat stole Stevie's hairdo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2020 12:54 PM

Stevie and Whitney!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2020 12:58 PM

Her diction makes Patti LuPone sound like Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Underrated? Hardly. It's a great song, but Talk To Me, If Anyone Falls, The Wild Heart and Gold & Braid are fantastic songs that barely get recognized.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2020 5:04 PM

The social distancing anthem.

by Anonymousreply 54April 7, 2020 1:16 PM

R52 - Excuse me? I’m Juilliard trained, with 2 Tonys, motherfucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 7, 2020 2:12 PM

This is my fav song of hers

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2020 4:05 AM

Supposedly she filmed two videos for it. She hated the first one and had it scrapped. Had a second video made from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2020 5:08 AM

Her singing this last year. The crowd was so thrilled when she came out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 1, 2020 6:06 PM

I love this song but I always think she is saying, "Like a weirdo, I can bend," when I know it is "willow."

But it was one of my first favorites when I was getting into Top 40 in the early 80s

by Anonymousreply 59October 1, 2020 8:52 PM

The full Prince story as I've read it is: Stevie wrote this song after becoming enamored of Prince's "Little Red Corvette," especially its synthesizer sound. But she worried after writing "Stand Back" that it could be seen as a ripoff of Prince's song, so she got word to Prince that she planned to record a song that she considered to be inspired by "LRC."

He sent word back offering to play synthesizers on the song. And he showed up at her studio late one night, laid down the track in one take and disappeared. Stevie says no one has ever been able to exactly replicate what Prince did even though she's performed the song probably thousands of times.

by Anonymousreply 60October 1, 2020 9:18 PM

I do like that song a lot

by Anonymousreply 61October 1, 2020 9:19 PM

Addendum to the story at r60 -- the following year when Prince wrote and recorded "Purple Rain," he realized that the title song had the same chord progression and a similar sound to Journey's "Faithfully." So he called up Neal Schon from Journey and played "Purple Rain" and Schon was like, no problem man, it's great, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 1, 2020 9:23 PM

I love the song and I watched the video, but she didn't kick anyone in the cuntbone.

by Anonymousreply 63October 1, 2020 9:55 PM

One of the worst songs ever recorded. She sounds like a goat, the lyrics are stupid, cheesy 80s synths, and it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can from across a stadium.

by Anonymousreply 64February 28, 2021 9:12 AM

Take me home!

I also love Blue Lamp, someone mentioned it earlier up thread. Such an amazing guitar tone in the beginning. But Stand Back slaps. Wah-ah.

by Anonymousreply 65February 28, 2021 9:24 AM

I Will Run to You is such a great underrated example of how great she was with Tom Petty. That he starts the song is startling. The amount of cocaine they must have enjoyed together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 28, 2021 9:35 AM

Are you fucking kidding me?

What human did NOT twirl around in a black shawl or towel or blanket to this tune? I knocked over a candle and frightened my cat the first time I danced to this video. Plus, if you sang along, you just strummed your throat while you sang.

You people disgust me. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 67February 28, 2021 9:39 AM

October 1985---Stevies Follow-Up---->>>Talk to Me.....Highest charted song from her "Rock a Little Album...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 28, 2021 9:41 AM

"I can't wait"---another gem from "Rock a Little".........Lyrics = "Am I wasting my time while you make up your mind"....Sounds like another Lindsay B. shout out song...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 28, 2021 9:53 AM

I'm old enough (47 years old) to remember hearing "Stand Back" on the radio back in 1983. It got a lot of fanfare at the time; single, video(s), album, tv appearances, live concerts etc. It is my all-time fave Stevie song.

by Anonymousreply 70February 28, 2021 10:08 AM

Her backup dancers inspired my convulsive moves on the dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 71February 28, 2021 10:13 AM

[quote] I'm old enough (47 years old) to remember hearing "Stand Back" on the radio back in 1983. It got a lot of fanfare at the time; single, video(s), album, tv appearances, live concerts etc. It is my all-time fave Stevie songm

Mine too. I’m ten years older and this is the song I always associate with the rise of MTV , since it was playing constantly when I got the channel. It’s not only my favorite Stevie song, but remains one of my all-time favorite songs period.

But as a HUGE Prince fan, how have I NEVER heard this story of his connection to the song? I soaked up everything Prince related at the time, but somehow missed this entirely.

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2021 6:42 PM

You all have bad taste. Awful song.

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2021 3:17 AM

Fun song!

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2021 3:22 AM

Dreams, Landslide and Rhiannon are her gratetes achievements as a songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2021 5:12 AM

Unintentionally funny video. She does sound like a goat. And why is she on a treadmill?

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2021 5:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!