Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tanya Tucker is ALIVE!!!

Brandi Carlile has written and produced an album of songs for the baddest ass burnout of country music, Miss Tanya Tucker. She literally revived her career. It may or may not set the charts on fire, but it's one of the best albums you've heard in years son. The New Yorker thinks so too. But some of us already love Tanya. "While I'm Living" is epically gorgeous and resonant and sad and profound and true. Kicks ass too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 2, 2020 3:24 PM

Tanya sings the title song for Loretta Lynn. Brandi on the piano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2019 10:09 PM

She always had a gutsier, more intriguing voice than Dolly, Loretta, Tammy ... all those frilly square dance queens.

I'm glad she's still making interesting music and isn't just an embalmed relic, like so many singers turn into.

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2019 10:11 PM

Is she partly Jane Jane Fonda and partly Jane Austen?

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2019 10:12 PM

The New Yorker raved about the album.

The pink hair is an interesting look.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2019 10:14 PM

Seeing her at the Troubadour in LA!

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2019 10:16 PM

On her cover of Lambert's The House That Built Me she gives that great song the elegiac voice it deserves. Like she's dead and gone, but inside your head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2019 10:16 PM

Does she still live in Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2019 10:17 PM

R2 There is no reason to disparage Dolly, Loretta, or Tammy, like Tanya, each is unique and legendary.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2019 10:18 PM

I think this will get her a Grammy. They love a hipster and old tymey country star comeback, see Lorretta’s Jack White album.

This is what Reba needs to do. Her last album was okay, but a couple bad songs and was too slick.

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2019 10:25 PM

Tanya is a Hard Luck girl. I love it. Brandi Carlile gave her some great gifts with these song and the immaculate production. It ain't autotune and Tanya sounds rough and fanfuckintastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2019 10:26 PM

The New Yorker article here. She is coming to NYC in September.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2019 10:29 PM

[quote] Tanya Tucker is ALIVE!!!

An' Skippuh is DAID!!!

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2019 10:33 PM

A Grammy, sure why not? But give her some respect. Tanya earned it. The album is excellent and her interpretations are authentic AND beautiful. This song would top any country chart any other era. I hope it does now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2019 10:35 PM

R9 But Reba, doesn't really need to, at least not at this time. She has never gone away, her albums continue to sale and she continues to earn awards, including a Grammy in 2018 for her Gospel Album. She can't really do a comeback, because she has never faded away, much like Dolly. Neither of them might be at the top of the charts anymore, but they have both managed to remain in the spotlight and public consciousness. Loretta, Johnny Cash, and now Tanya, are different in that they largely were out of the public's minds for awhile, before attempting a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2019 10:38 PM

[quote]r8 There is no reason to disparage Dolly, Loretta, or Tammy. Like Tanya, each is unique and legendary.

It's just that to northerners particularly, that cooing, sequined doll approach most of those girls cultivated seemed so fake. I guess to southerners, it's seen as "womanhood", and something recognizable.

Tucker sounded much more like a real human being. Her voice has far more dimention.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2019 10:38 PM

R15 None of those three sounded alike, at all. Also, it is dimension, not dimention, and all three of them had it, especially Tammy. Her voice has been praised by people for years, because of her unique teardrop voice. Dolly is the only one who you could accuse of a "cooing, sequined doll approach," but she cultivated it as part of her campy charm. Loretta's musical persona was always as the fiery mountain girl.

Not to mention Tanya, would probably scratch your eyeballs out for saying anything against those three.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2019 10:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2019 10:56 PM

Dolly had the most musical talent. Her voice is like a little girl's, but she is a superb musician (one of the best bluegrass guitarists alive).

Loretta did not have a greatly musical voice, but it had tons of character.

Tammy had a very powerful voice--much more powerful than Loretta's or Dolly's.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2019 11:08 PM

Maybe it's a generational thing - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2019 11:16 PM

Loretta was of course the only one who sang a song about fisting, so she is forever a gay icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2019 11:20 PM

I just listened to every track, and I love every song on the album! Much better than that album she put out 17 years ago.

She's definitely in need of a makeover though.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2019 5:40 AM

Well, Tattooed Eyebrows Carlile isn’t the person to help her with a makeover.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2019 10:32 AM

I'm in love with her Miranda Lambert cover. It's the best country song written in years and Tanya makes it better. Because she can sing. In some interview she said she didn't want to sniff around this song - that it's already been done right. True. But they talked her into this rough version and Brandi Carlile convinced her to put it on the album. Great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2019 10:32 PM

Miss Tanya's been in for a tuneup. She looks like a burned out Dolly P. But the song and the singing are fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2019 1:11 PM

How does someone become a Tany-yuh or a Tahn-yuh?

I like that Brandi is devoting this year to making Country Music gayer.

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2019 8:11 PM

R25 it’s Tan-Ya like “boi I’m fittin to tan ya hide.”

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2019 8:15 PM

Wow. She is a HARD 60 years old. The new record is great.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2019 10:28 PM

She's only 60?....

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2019 10:32 PM

She pretty much had crow's-feet when she was a kid, but I still fucking love her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 7, 2019 4:06 AM

"Spotlight on Tanya Tucker

(yeah, yeah)

Well, now, wouldn't you like to ----

Be in her new video?"

by Anonymousreply 30September 7, 2019 4:24 AM

This is a great song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 7, 2019 4:26 AM

10 Grammy nominations and NO win. This should be her Lucci year.

by Anonymousreply 32September 7, 2019 4:29 AM

She's only 46, hope she's over her addiction issues.

by Anonymousreply 33September 7, 2019 4:38 AM

^^^ She's 60, and she'll probably clean up at the CMAs and the Grammys this year, and not just on account of the Miranda cover.

Between TNT, Brandi C. and that OTHER producer, Shooter Jennings, they know everybody in the bidness. And Carlile is white-hot right now, especially after duetting with Kristofferson at the recent Joni M. tribute concert, AND with today's release of her supergroup Highwomen CD.

And EVERYBODY loves a comeback, especially after 14-year-old Tanya was touted in the mid-Seventies as The Next Big Thing in country, but then had the bad manners to chase a career as a rock 'n' roll chick. Not to mention all of the drinking and doping and having her and Glen Campbell fucking their eyeballs out and just about killing each other a bunch of times, oy.

Oh, all that and the fact that the new album is a killer.

by Anonymousreply 34September 7, 2019 5:25 AM

So what's her sordid story?

by Anonymousreply 35September 7, 2019 10:52 AM

This fun song was constantly playing on the radio back in '91.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 8, 2019 8:08 PM

who’s her gf?

by Anonymousreply 37September 8, 2019 10:43 PM

Tanya likes men. A lot of men.

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2019 12:05 AM

She got impregnated by her first boyfriend, an actor named Ben Reed, who was hot as hell. Anyhow, she had two kids with him, and then they broke up sometime later, I'm not sure who she had her third kid with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2019 12:47 AM

Here she is with Ty Herndon, and her daughter giving him a kiss on the cheek. I'm not sure who the girl on the left is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2019 12:53 AM

She's a wreck, but old drinkers can go on forever. She sounds good. That voice is lived in and she goes further than she wants to. Tanya is like some old rock god at this point. She's TOO real for modern country music = perfect for the Bowery Ballroom. We had a blast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2019 7:27 AM

I was so surprised to see her on WWHL this past week but she seemed to have a lot of fun. She's gotta have one of the last authentic voices in music (period.), if there's any autotune you can't really tell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2019 10:18 AM

I’m late to the party but love this.

CMAs come on this week. Wednesday maybe.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2019 7:37 PM

So happy for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2019 6:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2020 12:46 AM

Helen Reddy will now do a cover of the lead song and turn it into a pop hit.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2020 1:18 AM

Bob Schieffer got choked up when she sang a little bit of "Bring My Flowers Now" in the interview above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2020 1:29 AM

That CBS Sunday Morning interview is on again this morning

by Anonymousreply 48August 2, 2020 3:03 PM

I love that Brandi said the first song she sang as a kid was something by Roseanne Cash. She has good taste.

by Anonymousreply 49August 2, 2020 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!