Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any actors ever study with one of the legendary acting teachers (Uta, Stella, Strasberg, Meisner)?

What was it like?

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 3:47 PM

One of my best friends studied with Meisner for two years. Said he was an insufferable son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2019 3:34 AM

No actors ever studied with one of the legendary acting teachers.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2019 3:39 AM

What are you talking about, r2?

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2019 3:43 AM

I know several who studied with Uta Hagen and a couple with Stella Adler.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 3:44 AM

I went to HB Studio my freshman year of college on a whim. Within a few months, Uta said I was barking up the wrong tree and asked Frances Grille to meet me, at Click. That helped put me through college! My first job was in private banking. After a few months my boss told me I was barking up the wrong tree and called his friend at the new Musée d'Orsay, where I found my place for a few years. Seasoned pros used to be kind and helpful to young people. Is it still true?

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 3:49 AM

Didn’t Marilyn Monroe study with Strasberg?

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 3:49 AM

Yes r6. In that movie My Week with Marilyn they show Starsberg's wife accompanying her to London and trying to get her through the film.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 3:51 AM

oops Grill

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 3:51 AM

What was Click?

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 3:52 AM

Click the modeling agency?

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 3:54 AM

I think Mark Ruffalo studied with Stella Adler.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 3:54 AM

Many actors have studied with all of those people.

Have you always been that directionless and whimsical, r5?

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 3:54 AM

Stella must have been scary. I saw a talk with Betty Buckley and she said she just audited the class. She was too scared of Stella to get up and work in front of her., She said she was sort of abusive to students. (and you must be scary if Betty Lynn is afraid of you!)

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2019 3:54 AM

I meant actors on DL not actors in general.

Obviously actors studied with them.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2019 3:56 AM

I think OP is hoping for dirt on the teachers.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 3:56 AM

Meisner was abusive to the students as well, according to my friend.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 3:56 AM

r14, Hagen could easily have taught some the eldergays on DL.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2019 3:58 AM

Lots of interviews on youtube of Holland Taylor talking about her studies with Stella.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 4:00 AM

Stella Adler taught until she was half dead.

All that Method/Meisner crap seems so outdated and somewhat laughable to me now. Those actors espousing it were good already and likely added a layer of "studied dullness" to their work studying this gibberish.

I used to think I had to be a heart-lung transplant surgeon to be a decent actor, and I NEVER worked! One day I sort of saw through it and did lots of improv and sketch stuff, and never worried about pleasing that voice again. What happened? I work all the time, of course!

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 4:01 AM

Matthew Modine talks about Stella a lot. Amanda Peet and Sarah Paulson (I think) talk a lot about Uta.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 4:01 AM

Uta Hagen spent a summer in Collected Stories at the Stratford festival. In her spare time, she would give free acting lessons to members of the festival acting company who asked.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 2:38 PM

A lot of the older actors at the Actors Studio are disciples of Strasberg. Burstyn, Pacino etc

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!