Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DNC likely to raise polling threshold for November debate, sources say

[quote]In November the DNC, which is increasingly under fire for its handling of presidential debates, is likely to raise the polling requirement above 2 percent, according to multiple sources involved in the process who spoke to Yahoo News about internal deliberations on the condition they not be identified.

[quote]What’s not clear — and seems to be unsettled still — is how high that number will go. Even if it went up only 2 points to 4 percent, it would put major stress on candidates like Beto O’Rourke and Cory Booker. Neither has received more than 3 percent in any qualifying voter survey yet. Other candidates, like Amy Klobuchar and Julián Castro, have hit 4 percent only once so far. It’s also unclear whether the DNC will continue to make small-dollar donations a criteria for entry into the debates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2019 4:58 AM

Beto and Booker are both just too odd. They need to go back to their day jobs. (or get one.)

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2019 3:26 AM

It looks like show biz entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2019 3:27 AM

r1 Booker has such youthful presence to him, though.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2019 3:29 AM

Tulsi was getting too much attention. Can’t have that, now.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 3:30 AM

Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris. There you go. That's the only group of candidates that anyone is really looking at.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 3:32 AM

These fucking Democratic debates are clown cars. Just a joke.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 3:33 AM

r5 Harris has crashed in the polls recently, so your definition of who people are "really looking at" seems to be on shaky grounds.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 3:34 AM

They need to cull the field now cuz the Democratic Party has a bizarre nominating process. No one needs a brokered convention.... I'm sticking with Kloubochar. She will breakthrough.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 3:39 AM

It is all his testosterone r3.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 3:42 AM

why are people and the news media being so dramatic about this? I agree there are too many candidates now but look at the repubs in 2015. Didn't they have about 16 to start with? and I know they had many debates with more than 8 people. It seems like people are making a bigger deal of the Democrats now than they did to repubs in 2015/2016

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 4:00 AM

Do people expect the Democrats to just let everyone stay in forever? I respect Inslee. Beto, Hickenlooper, and Bullock need to follow his classy example, exit the race they are never, ever going to win, and start running for Senate in their respective states.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 4:02 AM

yes r10. The republicans even had those humiliating pre-debates where the few really low polling candidates had their own little debate.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 4:05 AM

Tulsi = TRASH

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2019 4:15 AM

I still hold hope for wildcard- Marianne Williamson.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2019 4:15 AM

As long as it includes Pete, I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 5:23 AM

[quote]Booker has such youthful presence to him, though.

But he's a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 5:52 AM

[quote]I respect Inslee. Beto, Hickenlooper, and Bullock need to follow his classy example, exit the race they are never, ever going to win, and start running for Senate in their respective states.

R11, I guess you missed the news.

Hickenlooper withdrew from the race days ago, and announced today he is running for Senate:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2019 5:54 AM

Biden, Warren, Buttigieg, Sanders, and Harris are the top 5. Beto, Booker and Klobaucher should be in it as wellNo one below that.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 6:00 AM

The ones below the top 5 are a waste of time. Like, what does Klombuchar bring to the discussion?

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 6:08 AM

Why the Dem party has refused a candidates debate just on climate is depressing - and telling. There's no hope for the country until the Pete/AOC generation takes over. Say, in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 6:21 AM

Klobuchar brings Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin into the discussion. Crucial states if y'all wanna win the presidency

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 6:22 AM

Beto O’Rourke, Cory Booker, Gillibrand, Amy Klobuchar, Julián Castro and anyone else not named Joe, Kamala, Elizabeth, or Pete needs to drop out.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 6:28 AM

R22 Pete can do that easily. Much more charismatic, and smarter. You need star power to win.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2019 6:30 AM

sadly Bullock won't run for Senate in Montana. He said he's an executive and not someone who has to debate and fight in legislature clearly he's got a big ego

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2019 6:35 AM

Bullock would be the perfect candidate because he's a Democrat from a red state, but so damn boring.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2019 6:40 AM

The lower polling candidates should start debating amongst each other. It doesn’t have to be hosted by a major news network but it would be great to see some of these people talking about issues in greater detail and talking about big new ideas for the future, and if one or two of em find new fans and money (or have a moment that goes viral) maybe someone could break out. I would watch Amy Klobuchar and Beto talking about prison reform for a half hour

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2019 6:57 AM

Amy Klobochar is gonna be Senate Majority leader one day. But what if she's the most prepared out of everyone? I dunno. She may LBJ from the get go

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 7:05 AM

If the lower tier candidates want to stick around, they have to do their own debate and it will involve a swimsuit-clad, mud-covered death match round. As much as I hate Tulsi Gabbard's bullshit background on gay rights, I must say, I wouldn't mind watching her in that fight. Anyone else think she could kick Beto's ass?

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2019 7:05 AM

[quote]Klobuchar brings Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin into the discussion. Crucial states if y'all wanna win the presidency

Yes, those are important states. But where's the evidence that Klobuchar is the one who can win them against Trump? She can hardly get any support from Democrats right now.

One of the top tier Democrats will have to win those states for us.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 7:49 AM

If Pete's and AOC's generation doesn't take over for 20 years there might not be any hope for the country left, or indeed the rest of the world. 20 more years of ignoring climate science is not going to end well.

The big problem the Dems have in culling their field is that the top 3 are all well past normal retirement age. I guess if that's what the people want, but let's hope there are young VPs in the wings.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 9:32 AM

The DNC needs to cull the weaklings now as they will drag down the strong ones.

And bitchcunt Susan Sarandon needs to shut up or re-direct her bitching towards Trump.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 9:55 AM

These articles are ridiculous and they're going to get worse as the months go on.

Falsely claiming the entire DNC is constantly "under fire" and using vague "involved people" as sources, just to stir up the old BernieBro trope of the DNC rigging the election.

All I can do is hope people aren't as stupid and gullible as they were in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 10:11 AM

People are getting worse. The race to the bottom continues. People are even more binary and tribal in their thinking. They seem to have less and less information literacy. Trump has manufactured a lot of this by undercutting respect and faith in everything.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 10:27 AM

[Quote] If Pete's and AOC's generation doesn't take over for 20 years there might not be any hope for the country left,

Yes r30 it doesn't look very hopeful. Is not just the leading dem candidates. Look at Nancy and Chuck too.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2019 7:38 PM

Uh, as usual, what about us?

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2019 12:06 AM

What have you Xers done lately, I mean, ever?

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2019 12:16 AM

We're busy innovating, r36...

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2019 12:30 AM

#yanggang

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2019 12:36 AM

You keep doing that r37. Just remember your innovations are founded on government pure research so make sure you pay your fair share of taxes. No handouts, corporate or otherwise! No cheating!

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2019 3:03 AM

"The Democratic Party is proving to be wholly inadequate to facing the crisis America is mired in. That much was demonstrated Thursday, when the Democratic National Committee voted down a resolution, brought forward by longtime DNC member Christine Pelosi, calling for a presidential debate focused solely on climate change. This caused a group of young climate activists to start singing "Which Side Are You On?"

"This isn't just a moral failure to refuse to center the most important problem facing not just the country but the planet. It's also a symptom of a larger disease afflicting the Democratic Party, which is giving into a politics of timidity and risk-aversion that, ironically, is only increasing the chances of another loss to Donald Trump and the Republicans in 2020."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2019 8:07 AM

All that would happen if they had a debate solely on climate change is that every single other cause would start whining about not getting their own debate. It's a ridiculous idea that would just open a huge can of whiny worms. And, there wouldn't even be a debate. The Democratic candidates would all just stand on stage agreeing with each other for an hour or two.

by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2019 6:35 PM

It would be great, though, if one of the debates between the two candidates for the Presidency itself could be exclusively on climate change. An hour or so of properly researched questions, to reveal in detail how very little Trump knows about the topic. In fact, a whole debate on any topic at all would expose him in the same way.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2019 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!