Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Think Meghan Markle Realizes The British Monarchy Is Doomed?

Is that why she is so focused on creating her own brand and bucking royal traditions?

Does anyone really believe that Britain will accept King Charles and Queen Camilla?

What if the Queen dies during the middle of the social and economic chaos that will inevitably follow Brexit?

by Anonymousreply 172September 4, 2019 4:22 AM

Monarchies only end after wars or revolutions.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2019 1:56 AM

Charles is not going to be King. If only because of the public dislike for him and his little pony. William will be the next and probably last monarch.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2019 2:01 AM

Thanks to Elton and Ellen, the British public will realize how wrong they've been and demand that Harry and Meghan be put on the throne.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2019 2:05 AM

I think Meghan doesn't care one way or the other.

But, if the survival of the Monarchy means she has to do without a single luxury or that she has to miss a single opportunity to virtue signal, gain attention or make money off her newfound status, you can bet she'll do all she can to help tear the Monarchy down to the ground, even if she has to use her bare hands to do it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 2:10 AM

It would be a surprise if Meghan realises much of anything.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 3:13 AM

Why should she give two fucks about the archaic institution?

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 3:48 AM

Maybe she will somehow usurp the throne and have Kate Middleton beheaded.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 3:51 AM

Perhaps because, r6, it's "the family she never had"?

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 3:57 AM

Of course Charles will be king whether you like him or not.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 4:36 AM

R8, they were the family she never had until they turned into the family she always had.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 12:42 PM

Meghan is probably aware of Prince Charles's plans to streamline the royal family into a smaller, more cost-effective monarchy. Prince Charles is aware that the royals come under frequent criticism for how they spend their money, and as time moves on, he apparently would like to preside over a unit solely made up of those directly surrounding the throne: William, Kate, their children, and Harry.

Andrew's daughters no longer receive funds from the Sovereign Grant after they graduated from university in 2011 and 2012. Archie will probably receive the same fate once he comes of age, hence, the reason that he was not given a royal title. This might explain the recent sour faces of Andrew and Harry at the Trooping the Colour.

Meghan reminds me of Andrew and Fergie who are constantly finding ways to make money so that their daughters could live the life that they were accustomed to.

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2019 2:03 AM

^^^Prince Charles plans to streamline the royal family into a smaller, more cost-effective monarchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2019 2:08 AM

[quote]Does anyone really believe that Britain will accept King Charles and Queen Camilla?

No. But if he abdicates (a real possibility) and hands it over to Wills, I think the British public would eagerly accept King William and Queen Kate.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2019 2:31 AM

I don't know if they are the family she never had, but she's certainly demonstrated she's very much part of the family she came from.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2019 2:33 AM

Charles will be king. The throne passes in an instant. He'll be fine. And with that daughter in law single handedly clear cutting her way to opprobrium he'll probably be reasonably well received for as long as it lasts, which won't be long.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2019 2:47 AM

So did she finally pay them off or what? her family hasn't been making much noise lately...maybe the queen paid lol.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2019 2:49 AM

I think someone anonymously sent the father pictures of Epstein hanging in his jail cell and he got the message.

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2019 11:28 AM

She doesn't care! Know why?? She was sent by Satan to destroy it!

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2019 11:32 AM

r1 is so, so naive.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2019 11:36 AM

Megs is Wallis Simpson reincarnated, returned to avenge her appalling treatment at the hands of the Windsors. The more havoc she can wreak, the bigger her smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2019 11:48 AM

Basically, r20.

We'll see the end of the monarchy as a whole unless these two are not brought to heel.

She won't, because her skills are in stillness, not action.

And so, because of an L.A. grifter, the British Monarchy will come to an end within the next twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2019 11:54 AM

This is how monarchies end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2019 12:24 PM

Remember what happened when Queen Victoria died. Her eldest son Albert Edward became King Edward VII. He was 59 when he became king. He ruled for only 10 years but became the most popular king.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2019 12:29 PM

Look at the body language in the shot at R22... says it all about her.

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2019 1:12 PM

God! Let the bitch live.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2019 2:50 PM

I think MM was snubbed and humiliated by her new family when they refused to be taken in by her bullsh---err, her special brand of wokeness and now has no fucks left to give. Scorched earth, baby! May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, right?

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2019 6:52 PM

This isn't the 1800s where the British Monarchy actually matters, OP. When the Queen dies the Brits will be sad for a while and then Charles will be crowned figurehead-King, and no one will care all that much.

You're making far too much out of not very much at all.

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2019 6:58 PM

I think the BRF and the aristocracy did not like her from point it became clear Harry intended to marry her. In cases like that you have two choices; kiss ass or tell them to kiss your ass. Megs did the latter and they hate her for it. They really expected her to grovel for acceptance by trying to emulate them as if they are somehow better than she because of birth and social position. That nastiness around the Moor broach confirmed the nastiness and pettinss from the BRF.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2019 8:58 AM

I agree that the aristos did not like MM from the start, but I do not think it was solely because of her race, if at all. They don't like anyone who is not one of them; they sneered at excluded Kate for a long time and probably still do. Wills has gone to his friends' weddings on his own. But I think they especially disliked MM because of her background as an American and an actress, plus her dodgy past, ie yachting and casting couching. It is said that Harry's friend Tom Inskip knew her from yachting. She couldn't win with his circle but I think she could have been accepted by the BRF if she tried hard to fit in. I think the Tindalls and Yorks would have been welcoming for Harry's sake. But the $75k dress, letter to the press and VF article worked very hard against her and from a certain point, she had nothing left to lose.

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2019 9:48 AM

[quote] I think she could have been accepted by the BRF if she tried hard to fit in.

That's it, right there.

Is this a poor reflection on Charles? Increasingly it's his show and come the day he is King, then the buck stops there. Why doesn't he rein her in?

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2019 12:19 PM

OP = LatiShA, who is so deranged with jealously of Markle that she should be put on an MI5 watch list.

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2019 12:26 PM

I look forward to watching Harry squirm as he is dragged into every gaffe his wife makes.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2019 12:35 PM

I think she's the one dooming it but also exposing the BRF as myth and nothing more. HM is an ostrich sticking her head in the sand. She has never ever controlled her family, particularly when it comes to them exploiting their position for financial gain. MM, who is a basic grifter and not interesting in her own right, is just flagrant about it. Her PR pumps out daily arguing she has every right to do it.

Tumblr - I know, but some of the stories that leak out are amazing. For example, Prince Charles has "commandeered" the homes and yachts of his friends. "Clear out of your Tuscany villa - I want to stay there." Harry has tried to pull the same thing. One item had his people asking around for a yacht to "borrow." The story was told by friends of the yacht owner. They volunteered their yacht but indicated they were coming along. The Prince's people were, "oh no no no." The friends were, "Oh yes we are - it's our yacht and we're paying for the petrol besides." They came but PH barely spoke to them - pretty fucking entitled since he didn't know them and they were providing free use of their vessel. And naturally Harry has gone to bars, been raucous, run up massive bills, come up with no cash because for whatever reason royals don't carry cash (idiot rule - the queen fine, but the other royals should carry cash), and once tried to pay with his army credit card. The bar, as Harry doubtless expected, comped the billin the end. Steve Wynn comped his debauchery in Vegas. The queen? Radio silence.

It's one thing for eager friends to offer the use of, it's another for the "order" to come from the royal in question. Nobody can compel the other person to comply, but still, very very bad habits.

In contrast, when Will and Kate chose the Seychelles for their honeymoon, the honeymoon was somewhat delayed as someone else was in the villa they chose and they didn't want to boot them out. It helps of course that the Middletons have $$ and property, and, as family, are able to provide. But then again, in one of the bar stories, Chelsy Davy was with Harry. Chelsy is loaded and she never offered to pay the bill.

Do the Swedes to this? Do other Western European royals do this? I've heard it said that once the Queen is gone, the monarchy is basically done. In her waning years, she's exposed herself. The soul of duty, but unwilling to control the grifting tendencies of her kin.

Meghan is just a reflection on them, a lowest common denominator version who doesn't dress it up. Of course she's extremely self-important and grandiose in public, which the royals try to avoid conveying in their public persona.

by Anonymousreply 33August 27, 2019 8:18 PM

Seriously get some help.

You people are obsessed and sound crazy.

by Anonymousreply 34August 27, 2019 8:20 PM

Meghan would have done what she's doing if the BRF had co-signed it all or not. Probably the only way she feels thwarted is they weren't given a grand house, nor has she extracted a Diana-sized payout. She's well on her way to Duke and Duchess of Windsor status, trading minor royal status for perks like private jets and someone else's villa.

Her PR is pretty amusing. To follow, you always have to understand her self-importance and inflated ego. These South Africa stories are one of two things. Implicit and ridiculous blackmail - if you don't fund our total independence to do exactly what we want, we will LEAVE and my God, won't you be worry since we're your biggest asset and global rock stars (meanwhile her popularity is in the single digits and his is fading not to mention it was never what HIS PR wanted us to believe in the first place). The alternative is the South Africa stuff is, "You can't fire me - I'm leaving!" Every time these two are set back on their heels they spin that it was their decision. My favorite is the recent story she floated that Kate has set too high a standard and it's unfair to expect Meghan to live up to it. What standard that is goes unmentioned, but we all know what it is. Kate doesn't monetize being Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan and Harry are all about monetizing being Sussexes. They want their asses kissed and their titles respected and they want the funding, but they chafe at the expectation they deliver on royal responsibilities in return or respect rank and titles higher than their own. And as is now almost a slogan, their privacy demand is simply a demand to be free from criticism. But I also think - and especially around Archie - they're hiding a lot of shit.

by Anonymousreply 35August 27, 2019 8:24 PM

It's funny to me that all Meghan's pr is focused on America when it's Kate America loves. Kate never experienced the criticism in the American press she experienced in the U.K., and for the most part the U.S. public interested in royalty fangirled all over her. Meantime I am not very far from where MM had her baby shower and even the daily tabloids had trouble mustering up interest.

by Anonymousreply 36August 27, 2019 8:27 PM

Oh Poo!

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2019 8:37 PM

R6 - Because without it she goes back to being the former Suits girl who's now married to a has-been prince, no HRH, no celebrity fawners, no Frogmore Cottage, no photo ops in carriages or on the balcony of Buck House, no curtsies and bows and bouquets, no more taxpayers contributing to her lifestyle, no more "dress fund" from Papa Charles . . . the Clooneys et al waving goodbye as she and Harry are forced by the Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell to move into a two up-two down flat on a council estate in Bradford?

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2019 10:56 PM

R34 - Reading closely, then, are we?

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2019 11:00 PM

Meghan got the ring, the big wedding, the baby, and more fame and fortune than her acting career would ever have rewarded her with.

She’s secured her financial future so I doubt she cares one way or another what happens to them. It’s all gravy now.

by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2019 11:02 PM

Sparkle and her 401K

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 27, 2019 11:03 PM

R40 - Oh, but she hasn't secured her financial future, not at the level she initially imagined. Harry isn't nearly as rich as she probably supposed, and the thing is, without that HRH and the cachet of the BRF, no one will be interested in her trendy twaddle. She'll have to start hustling for TV spots and cheap celebrity dos because Harry isn't going to get that big of a settlement and couldn't earn his living on his own if the Fate of the Known World rested on it.

Even Diana was left somewhat high and dry after she left the BRF, and Diana was a real star. That's how she ended up in the arms of that pathetic toy boy, not to mention dead.

Once you no longer bask in the glow of the Sunne in Splendour . . . it's never quite the same.

by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2019 11:10 PM

Rein her in? What is she a horse. Meghan is a grown woman who can and should do exactly what she wants. obviously she did not want to fit in with those hypocrites. So she used to yacht. Fergie is whore; Andrew probably a pedophile; Charles waxed potic about wanting to be a tampoon in Camilla's cooch and the Moor wearing bitch is a lazy slut living off the good graces of the Queen and British people. Those assholes are no better than Meghan.

by Anonymousreply 43August 27, 2019 11:10 PM

Charles and Camilla will do perfectly fine as King and Queen. People who hate the monarchy will hate them like they always have, people who adore the monarchy will love them, and most people will be ambivalent... maybe getting briefly excited about a close encounter with a Royal, but otherwise being generally indifferent towards the whole thing.

Frankly, I think the long-term survival of the monarchy beyond William DEPENDS upon Charles being king for at least a few years to impress upon William his own sense of duty and show him how to be a proper king. As it stands, William doesn't really WANT to be king... he just wants to be a normal rich person. His treatment by the public after his mother's death scarred him, and his dad has been working overtime ever since to try and heal the damage. William is reconciled to going through the motions of being king someday if he has to... and will, if only for the sake of his kids' futures... but his dad has some serious work ahead of him to get William EXCITED about becoming king someday.

by Anonymousreply 44August 27, 2019 11:25 PM

R44, I think that was true at one time but I think William bery much wants to be king. I think this desire to be king is partly what lead to the split with Harry because I bleive William became a pompous ass. So no it did not markle for a sister-in-law because it was going reflect poorly on him.

by Anonymousreply 45August 27, 2019 11:49 PM

The Cambridges have left Balmoral which suggests the Sussexes are due (via discount airline again, courtesy the Daily Maul.) Not at the same time. Seems the twain shan't meet.

by Anonymousreply 46August 27, 2019 11:53 PM

II doubt very much MM is secured in her financial future. Frogmore cottage (where reports are it's deserted so where the hell are they actually living) signals exactly the style in which the BRF think these two should be accustomed. I do believe she thought she'd swoop in, become hugely popular as an "American princess in the BRF" and monetize it six ways from Sunday, including a huge Diana payout from the BRF.

I don't think she has money. She has some connections hoping to benefit from being royal adjacent who'll make their assets available - villas and private planes and yachts - but that's not the same as having your own villa, private plane and yacht. She has Archie, presumably, with all the weirdness around that, so she won't starve. There's always an idiot with $$ who wants to be close to anything royal, but that's a miserable way to live as the royal adjacent person, in this case, MM, is reliant on the "kindness" of those weirdos for whom her status matters.

She played this all wrong. Before you can capitalize on being royal you have to behave as a royal. Nothing about her is royal, starting with her initial engagement appearances, onto the wedding and since. The most royal thing she did was that first appearance in a McQueen blazer, cropped trousers an stilettos. A little bit OTT but her hair looked good, it was a "worthy" sort of engagement, particularly as it was raining, and she seemed off to a good start.

You can't refuse to behave royally, refuse to dress royally, refuse to acknowledge protocol, refuse to respect titles and status higher than your own, and simply use your platform to convince others you are A list, while insisting people kiss your ass, give you the highest security and respect "protocol" towards you and YOUR title at all times and be royal. When you do that you're a trashy reality show joke.

by Anonymousreply 47August 27, 2019 11:53 PM

R47, do you recall who Meghan invited to the wedding? Do you recall the celebrities that supported her over planegate? The girl got what she wanted which is to rub elbows with celebrities not some dull aristocrats. The Harkles do not care about monarchy or the British aristocrats which is why the bald eagle and his frau hates them.

by Anonymousreply 48August 28, 2019 12:19 AM

If they did divorce she won’t have Fergie’s issues. Fergie was actually handed a few opportunities but she wasn’t really suited or interested in diet lifestyle branding. Meghan started in that world and can easily return there except now she’s friends with Beyoncé and is a household name she would out GOOP Gwyneth

by Anonymousreply 49August 28, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote]Megs is Wallis Simpson reincarnated

Wallis was still alive when Megs was born.

by Anonymousreply 50August 28, 2019 1:36 AM

This got so messy so fast.

by Anonymousreply 51August 28, 2019 3:20 AM

Of course the Queen will pop her clogs during the Brexit unrest, because the Brexit unrest will go on for decades.

by Anonymousreply 52August 28, 2019 3:42 AM

>>>My favorite is the recent story she floated that Kate has set too high a standard and it's unfair to expect Meghan to live up to it.

Where is this please? I don't believe it. If she admired or respected Kate, she wouldn't have done the opposite of what Kate has.

by Anonymousreply 53August 28, 2019 3:47 AM

R53, maybe hse did not plant the story. At the point I venture to think Meghan does not care about the support of the BRF loyalist that hate her. Meghan is believed to be a grifting , opportunist who uses people then ghost them, If all of this is true, I think she has moved past the war with the Cambridges and moved on to what was propably her plan A along which is living life among the celebrity rich and famous. She may have missed a grand opportunity to get on Geffen's yacht via Oprah and Gail but I venture to say she will not miss that opportunity again. The Harkles are giving double birds to the BRF, the aristocracy and to their supporters of both. Loyalist to the monarchy keep reporting on theHarkles misteps. It is only a mstep if they were still courting the British people; they are not. They are living their best life to the tune of me and you against the world.

by Anonymousreply 54August 28, 2019 4:49 AM

Meghan Markle has a rich husband and they seem to be in love. I bet they have a great sex life.

She's fine, and sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 55August 28, 2019 5:02 AM

I think MM may have initially wanted to fit into the BRF and Harry's aristo circle, but on her own terms, namely to be a wealthy global celeb making woke speeches and promoting hip causes. She expected to receive adulation and was horrified and hurt at the opposite reaction she got. You can see how much her confidence level has diminished at public events. Her smile is like a beauty pageant contestant who has just lost. She and PH are now onto Plan B, which is to carve their own private little niche within the BRF for the time being, and pave the way for their future exit by cultivating celeb contacts.

by Anonymousreply 56August 28, 2019 5:48 AM

Oh my god, you fraus are obsessed. Round and round you go, thread after thread, while MM gives zero fucks.

Make your minds up about FC! Either it had 3m renovation or it was a punishment. You can't have it both ways. They wouldn't have spent 3m on Kp, had they stayed there.

by Anonymousreply 57August 28, 2019 6:02 AM

R55 These haters live for Meghan. She's the best thing in their pitiful lives. Imagine the multiple threads they make devoted to her. I can't imagine what they would do without her in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 58August 28, 2019 6:03 AM

[quote] "American princess in the BRF" and monetize it six ways from Sunday, including a huge Diana payout from the BRF.

Little does your hateful heart knows. Diana didn't walk away with a huge payout.

by Anonymousreply 59August 28, 2019 6:05 AM

R57 and R58, what are you chiding schoolmarms doing in a thread specifically about MM?

by Anonymousreply 60August 28, 2019 6:06 AM

Will you fuck off, R60? You are suffering from monomania and need a psych script asap.

by Anonymousreply 61August 28, 2019 6:32 AM

You fuck off, R61 and take R57 and R58 with you. Have you got nothing better to do than lecture people posting in a thread about a topic which displeases you?

by Anonymousreply 62August 28, 2019 6:55 AM

'There would be a huge funeral but holding a grand coronation ceremony for Charles? the public won't stand for the expense. Then the idea that he'd only reign for a few years before he too dies and William becomes king, another funeral ceremony, another coronation. The taxpayers will revolt. This won't happen. Why would a coronation and another funeral be seen as something to revolt over? The tax payers don't get their tax increased those months to pay for it. If they didn't object to Eugenie's big televised wedding (what is she, 15th in line to the throne?) why would they care about a coronation?'

You seem very naive. Many Brits relish public events and fanfare. Any government who even suggested jettisoning a thousand year old monarchy, the most famous in the world, would be voted out at the next opportunity. It's not as if people would see a tax cut in return for them all being cut off.

And Brexit isn't going to ruin the economy. You do have some bizarre ideas. Barely anything will change. Norway isn't in the EU and it does fine.

—Anonymous 1 reply 1

by Anonymousreply 63August 28, 2019 11:01 AM

I don't she realizes it is doomed (which it isn't.). She hasn't got that level of understanding of the institution, its place in the life of the nation, or its history, She thinks she's married an English version of the Bushes or the Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 64August 28, 2019 11:56 AM

The government will make the coronation of Charles palatable to the nation by giving the populace an extra bank holiday to mark the occasion. We Brits love nothing more than time off work. William was praised to the roof tops when he gave us all the Friday before his wedding off, so we had a four day vacation. I used the opportunity to have a short break in Mallorca.

by Anonymousreply 65August 28, 2019 12:16 PM

R59 - Actually, Diana did take Charles to the cleaners. He had to liquidate most of his private holdings to give her the eight figure lump sum payout which she later used to set up the two trust funds for William and Harry.

Fergie got amazingly little, as will Meghan in the event. Charles is notoriously tight with money and Harry isn't nearly as rich as his father. I don't see Charles dipping into his private funds to help Harry pay off a grifter that the entire family warned him about.

Meghan will get more than she came in with, but she's married to the sixth in line, and the mother of a nonroyal, let alone a future King.

She won't get what Diana got.

by Anonymousreply 66August 28, 2019 12:49 PM

R43 - As a matter of fact, no: this is one game where you can't do exactly what you want because you're on other people's payroll.

By marrying in, she accepted implicitly that she was going to work for the people who turned her into an A-Lister. That's how it works. You get perks paid for by other people, you pay them back by doing what's best for the institiution whose cachet you wanted so badly you could taste it.

Biting the hands that feed you is not only not "independence", it's bloody stupid, which is what she is.

Yes, she needs to be reined in so that she doesn't kill the goose laying the golden eggs.

It's actually a fairly simple equation: you get this for doing that. You don't want to do that? Fine: take off, leave your title and taxpayer funded home renovations and bows and curtsies and limos and million dollar wardrobe behind.

Meghan appears to be too bad at maths to understand what the correct answer to the equation is.

by Anonymousreply 67August 28, 2019 12:58 PM

QEII will be a real tough act to follow. Consummate monarch, leader and much beloved. Charles is well aware that he has no where to go but down in the monarch game and, while pulling out all the stops for his mum's funeral, will keep his coronation rather low key. I don't believe any of the Queen's heirs to the throne are looking excitedly to their future.

by Anonymousreply 68August 28, 2019 1:01 PM

It needs to end anyway, r21.

by Anonymousreply 69August 28, 2019 1:57 PM

Diana got 25 million pounds in her divorce settlement, Fergie got 3 million (not adjusted for inflation). I’m guessing that when all is said and done Meghan will get 5 - 7 million in her divorce settlement.

by Anonymousreply 70August 28, 2019 2:03 PM

The queen just approved BoJo's prorogation request. Parliament will be suspended next month before resuming shortly before the BREXIT deadline.

Granted she had no option except to approve but I think she could've faked being ill so as not to meet with him to give Parliament a chance for a vote of no confidence.

oh, r63? Google "Operation Yellowhammer" and see what the UK Treasury thinks could happen when the UK crashes out (vs Norway which has all her trade agreements and customs regulations signed and sealed, all tidy like) and then ask yourself if the British public is going to be in the mood for ceremonies with massive security costs.

by Anonymousreply 71August 28, 2019 2:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen lives for another full decade. Her mother lived to be 101, and her mother was a straight-up drunk who stayed pickled until the day she died.

by Anonymousreply 72August 28, 2019 3:41 PM

Oh, what's it to Meghan? Do you really think she cares?

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2019 4:18 PM

[QUOTE] ask yourself if the British public is going to be in the mood for ceremonies with massive security costs.

You really must be American. The average English person is not sitting stewing and fuming about the royals, or wondering how much of their tax bill went to Meghan's wardrobe. Our tax remains the same whether or not they have a big coronation or funeral. We're not in the 16th century with King Henry Viii levying tax after tax to fund wars and excesses.

by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2019 4:43 PM

The EU wants 39bn for any kind of Brexit deal, so the UK may be better off with no deal and keeping the 39bn.

by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2019 4:45 PM

Fergies' divorce settlement was Worth £3 million, but she didn't £3 million straight up. She got:

$20,000 a year from the royal family, given $660,000 in cash to buy a new house, about $1.8 million to start trust funds for Beatrice and Eugenie, another $462,000 in cash, and an agreement that Prince Andrew would pay for their daughters’ education.

That isn't much. And Andrew was the monarch's second son. Harry is the monarch's grandson and sixth in line. Andrew, at the time of his divorce, was fourth in line after Charles, William, and Harry. And Andrew has his own trust fund and is worth about $50 million. Fergie got royally stiffed.

I wouldn't put my own hard cash on the "royal family" shelling out its own funds to make Meghan Markle rich; they might agree to up a baseline offering to shut her up after she leaves, but even that increase by today's standards won't leave her better off than she would be staying in and having Charles pay for all the extras that her husband's relatively modest wealth doesn't.

As any barrister will tell you, precedent is a dangerous game. The BRF, I suspect would try to walk a fine line between shutting her up and not looking too punitive, but also not seeming to reward bad behaviour.

That's assuming, of course, that we're talking about a divorce and not both Sussexes walking the plank, in which case they'd always have Harry's £300,000 p.a. to live on.

Kate and William will look on with amusement as they start sweeping in the revenues from the Duchy of Cornwall, one day to be replaced by the revenues from the Duchy of Lancaster when William becomes King.

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2019 4:49 PM

Does anyone else here notice the insanity of a poster is in direct correlation to the leeeeeeeeeeength of their post?

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2019 4:57 PM

[QUOTE] And Andrew was the monarch's second son.

As Harry will be if they divorce. Divorce isn't guaranteed at all. You all act as if it's a definite in the next two years. And you are absolutely fixated on the phrase 'sixth in line'. Utterly obsessed with hierarchy. I see you as a Boston dwelling wannabe WASP. Far more bothered about status than anyone in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 78August 28, 2019 5:04 PM

R77, yep. The Essay Troll who pretends she knows every single detail of royal expenditure down to the last 20p is so exhausting. Endless paragraph free posts.

by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2019 5:07 PM

To keep it short, and sane:

#FuckBigLiz

by Anonymousreply 80August 28, 2019 7:16 PM

R49 but Fergie, as a personality, was popular in her own right. She was trashy, game, brash, good-natured, seemingly good-tempered, not the brightest, candid, good-humored, and yet royal! Had a big Westminster Abbey wedding and balcony appearance, not only attended Trooping, Ascot, etc., but believably interacted with the rest of the royals, including Diana. Maybe Phillip and much of the media had the knives out for her, but in the US she was well-liked. Her very personality told why the BRF went sour on her - before all the grift surfaced.

Meghan doesn't have a discernable personality, for one. Video of her actually interacting and being heard while working or out and about are rare, and one of those videos is the execrable banana slogan stuff. She may have the grasp, avarice and drive of some monster creature, but the personality is basic and flatline. Nothing to build a brand on.

by Anonymousreply 81August 28, 2019 11:54 PM

I wonder if MM really believes her own bullshit, ie, her 'woke' agenda, or if the whole thing is a cynical con?

by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2019 12:20 AM

R81. Sarah grew up with the royals. She was well-liked and had an engaging personality. She knew the royal ways as much as any outsider could, and even she had a very difficult time since the family basically ignored her at the beginning while Andrew was in the military. Sarah wanted to go live with him in military housing but was denied. Thankfully, Sarah and Diana were very good friends from their teen years and could lean on each other during turbulent times.

This is not the case with Markle. She knows nothing and thinks she knows everything. Sarah, Duchess of York was and is far and away ahead of that Markle girl in likability and getting along with others. Also, keep in mind, Sarah and Diana knew their royal roles were the jobs at hand, and they dove right in and did them from the very start. Markle wants the perks, but for some reason doesn't appear to want to work (maternity leave aside) and always seems to rub people the wrong way. Sarah and Diana understood both the monarchy and relating to the common person. Markle seems to want nothing to do with the entire institution and its requirements--and if she does, she doesn't show it. The girl just doesn't know her place or her role in this highly structured organization.

by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2019 12:41 AM

The Duchess of Sussex, ambitious, skilled climber that she is, now needs to shift her gears into neutral.

Better for her to want what has, than have what she wants.

It's too late for her to have what she wants. Any grandiose notions she has that, if the marriage tanks, she'll be scooped up by a hedge-fund billionaire, are minimal; she does not have Lauren Sanchez game. Hell, Wendi Deng bows down to Sanchez.

Sure, The Duke of Sussex, when the Queen and Phillip die, will receive a grant from their estate, as their other grandchildren will.

And, assuming Harry survives Charles, both he and William will receive a hefty chunk of change, probably at least several millions, from Charles estate, but, relative to the mega-billionaire tech and hedge fund club, the Duke will not have their level of dough-ray-mee.

Duchess Markle better stabilize her marriage, take direction on how to right the ship, and get over herself. She's at summit of her position and money and, without her marriage, her status is diminished.

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2019 12:50 AM

"The girl (n!@@er) just doesn't know her place"

What it really boils down to with Meghan haters.

by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2019 1:20 AM

Fergie is many places below Meghan in the popularity polls, and always will be.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2019 1:34 AM

r85, a substantial amount of Meghan haters are bigoted racists. Anybody who denies that isn't to be taken seriously.

One can know that and still be correct that the Duchess of Sussex HAS made mistakes; self-inflicted ones.

As for "place", as archaic, antiquated and anachronistic as it is, that's exactly what the BRF is about, beginning with embryonic order of birth. Within that structure, of course "place" matters, and within that hierarchical mode of family, Meghan Markle isn't excepted.

Of course, it's all inherently ridiculous. Markle, nevertheless, signed up for a place in that ridiculous institution, apparently with the equally ridiculous notion that the BRF would adjust to her rather than her adjusting to it.

These threads contain a lot of nonsense; foremost being that Markle will cause the "downfall" of the BRF. That's laughable. They'll be around long after Markle, if she doesn't straighten up, is the extra divorced woman at a "D" list dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 87August 29, 2019 1:39 AM

R87 - You're right, Della - A hierarchical monarchy is all about lanes defined 1) by birth order, and 2) by the need to ennsure the suvival of the show. The issue of telling Meghan Markle to stay in her lane is picked up and then touted as white folk telling the black girl to know her place. The two dresses wear the same label, but one is totally wrong for the occasion. If Kate were behaving like Meghan, she'd be taking the same flak, and, in fact, it was the inability to realise what lane they needed to stay in that was eventually the downfall of both Fergie and Diana. And the latter was holding more cards than the other two women combined: young and astonishingly photogenic, classic English Rose looks, a title of her own, charismatic . . . and she overestimated how far she could go, too, before the institution stepped in and said, "Enough."

I am old enough to rememer the rapturous receptions Diana received on those early Welsh and then the Australian tour when William was about one. It came close to hysteria. The Cambridges and Sussexes could wait a century for numbers and screams and adoration like that.

Diana started to believe her own press, that she was invulnerable, that the BRF wouldn't dare to touch her because of her global stardom and public adoration -and she did the Morton book. Overreach is far too weak a word.

And, yes, Meghan may manage to tarnish the brand, but it will outlast her. If it got past the Wales debacle (remember, Charles wasn't sixth in line but Prince of Wales and the next monarch) it will get past Meghan Markle, whose estimation of herself as another Diana is either pathetic or hilarious depending on your point of view.

Her mixed race background has clouded realistic discussion of her unerring instinct for creating drama where there is none (cf. Wimbledon and the truly farcical Secret Birth and Secret Godparents scenas) and making any project she undertakes more about her than any particular cause. The sloganeering cupcakes of recent cringeworthy memory is her speed.

There is an old story (yes, it's me again with older stories about long dhe ead royals) that one day Queen Mary took young Princess Elizabeth to some official but minor event, an exhibition, I think. When it was time to leave, Queen Mary prepared to take her granddaughter and asked to be escorted out a side door. Elizabeth said, "Oh, no, Grannie, think of all the people outside who will be waiting to see us!" Queen Mary immediately had them both escorted out back.e i

The recognition of the danger of blurring the line betwee royalty and celebrity are not new, and were impressed upon the present Queen that young - the difference between Then and Now. The Sussexes (both of them, the blame does not reside solely with Meghan) represent the failure of the Queen to convey the concept of royalty and the danger of mere celebrity as she was taught it, down the line.

I'm just not sure why she failed at it, as HM embodies it so completely.

by Anonymousreply 88August 29, 2019 12:53 PM

The problem I see with Meghan Markle is that she really seems to be a very grasping, unpleasant woman.

by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2019 1:13 PM

I love that abolish the monarchy is trending directly because of the Queen’s ceremonial actions and support of her pedo son...goes to show that no one ever gave a damn about Meghan and her avocados except the crazies.

by Anonymousreply 90August 29, 2019 1:53 PM

Whatever happens, I’ll be watching with mild amusement.

by Anonymousreply 91August 29, 2019 2:43 PM

I disagree that a “ substantial amount” of Meghan haters are “racist bigots”. It’s her behaviour that’s the issue.

I don’t hate MM, but I do dislike her, and that arose solely based on how she treated her father. As more information leaked on how she treated those near to her, she just came across to me as a cold user.

by Anonymousreply 92August 29, 2019 6:10 PM

I don't remember anyone from the acting world badmouthing her before the wedding. Did turning royal make her a monster?

by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2019 8:19 PM

R93 - That's because she was a nobody for most of her acting "career". People don't bother to badmouth nobodies - after all, who would bother to quote them?

by Anonymousreply 94August 29, 2019 8:36 PM

So she only became friends with Oprah, Serena, and Amal AFTER the wedding?

by Anonymousreply 95August 29, 2019 10:01 PM

If Meghan and Harry split up, it would be a shanda for the neighbors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 29, 2019 11:21 PM

Big Liz looks like my Uncle Ernie in that gif.

by Anonymousreply 97August 29, 2019 11:31 PM

'Yes, she needs to be reined in so that she doesn't kill the goose laying the golden eggs.'

And yet again the ugly Welp Troll reiterates her ridiculous point that Meghan is somehow capable of bringing about the fall of the British monarchy. This isn't One Direction, Welpy! Just fuck off, you stupid Larrie.

by Anonymousreply 98August 30, 2019 12:01 AM

That gif at r96 makes me cringe so hard. The grifter is just so out of her depth it's not real.

by Anonymousreply 99August 30, 2019 12:19 AM

So you keep saying R99.

by Anonymousreply 100August 30, 2019 12:26 AM

r96 lol after a certain age you just stop pretending to give a fuck in order to be polite, one of the few perks of being old is not giving a fuck anymore.

by Anonymousreply 101August 30, 2019 2:06 AM

What also threatens the royals is Meghan Markle is American.

She can smell all their bullshit a mile off, and knows their system is inherently ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 102August 30, 2019 5:37 AM

> She can smell all their bullshit a mile off, and knows their system is inherently ridiculous.

But is it, really? QEII's official job is to be Britain's ceremonial head of state. By most objective standards, she's done a fantastic job in that role. Most non-Britons have a positive impression of her. I mean, for god's sake, she's had American politicians curtsy to her. Name one... ONE... world leader besides her who can say that even AMERICANS look up to them. That ALONE wins ten thousand bonus points for her, because it DIRECTLY translates into increased influence for the UK.

If Betty called the White House, they would ABSOLUTELY put her call through (once they were satisfied it was really her)... and the President would answer... instantly... and take her seriously. That's something no other world leader on EARTH can claim. The Bush family adored her. The Obama family & Clinton family respected her. Even Trump sees her as a half-step below Ivanka... which is the highest ANYONE who is neither Trump nor Ivanka can get in his sphere of influence.

Make no mistake... Queen Elizabeth's reign will forever be known as the Second Elizabethan Era. She might wield little formal power, but she's arguably one of the most influential politicians on earth, PRECISELY because she's seen as being above politics.

I feel sorry for Charles. He knows, deep down, that the best he'll EVER achieve is recognition that his mother would have been proud of him as king... but he will NEVER equal, let alone surpass, her real-world influence.

by Anonymousreply 103August 30, 2019 6:26 AM

Word for word with r103 and I write this as the poster who has, in previous posts, described the BRF as "inherently ridiculous."

I surmise Charles dreads his mother's death.

by Anonymousreply 104August 30, 2019 11:52 AM

R99 the queen replies to her smiling just a few seconds after this gif ends.

by Anonymousreply 105August 30, 2019 12:02 PM

"She can smell all their bullshit a mile off, and knows their system is inherently ridiculous."

Takes one to know one, sweetie. The difference between Meghan Markle's brand of bullshit and the British Royal Family's brtand of bullshit is that the latter comes with class, status, money, privilege, and a 1,000 year old hiistory. Meghan Markle's brand of bullshit is stuff like the TIG blog and a stint as a Suitcase Girl on Deal or No Deal.

With the shallow bullshit packed into Meghan Markle's "Suitcase" she's no one to be calling the thousand year old monarchy of Great Britain ridiculous.

And man she couldn't wait to become a beneficiary of their bullshit.

You should always stick to a bargain you made presumably in good faith, even if its with a hereditary monarchy.

They ler her in in good faith; her paying them back in bad faith, no myatter what the argument for and against monarchy are, still make her a shitty grifting ingrate.

by Anonymousreply 106August 30, 2019 12:23 PM

R103 R104 - In agreement with both.

Charles was very much liked until the Diana Debacle. He never quite recovered, and then came the Spider Memos, which further eroded public trust in his ability to carry out his future position as required. He said last year that of course he would not be a "meddling King" but no one believes him any longer. I would have loved to have heard the discussion between Her Majesty and her Heir when that came out.

Then Wyilliam married Kate and she started having adorable babies, and then Harry brought in Meghan Markle, who proceeded within one year to separate the two brothers, bring down incessant bad PR about taxpayer support and luxury lifestyles partly funded by UK taxpayers when she's only married to the sixth in line, churn the pot in the wrong direction . . . .

And the Queen now finds herself, after 68 years of honouring her commitment as she understood it, staring at the Grim Reaper, with the next Heir but one and his brother not on speaking terms, the family again tarnished with the brand of shallow celebrity and avaricious living, her second son and allegedly favourite child a source of profound shame . . . I shouldn't wonder if she's shrugging her shoulders and mumuring, "It's out of my hands, let Charles clean up the mess."

Only Charles won't do any better than she did with his relations, including his sons, and into the bargain will make a far less admirable steward of the monarchy, because that's what they are: the stewards of the institution.

My own fantasy is that Charles unexpectedly is raptured before the Queen, and William spends a couple of years as Prince of Wales with the shadow of the throne falling across his every step, and Harry and Meghan petrified as they know that with their last known semi-ally gone, LaCa really seems more and more attractive.

At this point, whatever their other flaws, William and Kate are a much better deal for the monarchy than Charles and Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 107August 30, 2019 12:39 PM

Oh please r106, she worked for and earned her her brand of bullshit. That's not easy to do, even for a white person. Their brand of bullshit comes from being squeezed out into the world from a lucky pussy.

Class? Tell that to Camilla's walking tampon. Liz is the only one in that family with class.

by Anonymousreply 108August 30, 2019 1:14 PM

Charles never said he wanted to be Camilla's tampon. He said he wanted to live inside her trousers. Camilla joked, as a pair of knickers? He then said it would be just his (terrible) luck to come back as a tampax.

by Anonymousreply 109August 30, 2019 3:20 PM

Oh, that's class!

by Anonymousreply 110August 30, 2019 3:29 PM

[quote]r103 If Betty called the White House, they would ABSOLUTELY put her call through (once they were satisfied it was really her)... and the President would answer... instantly... and take her seriously.

Like the U.S. President wouldn't extend this courtesy to ANY reigning UK monarch?

You give Big Liz faaaaaaaaar too much credit.

[quote]r103 for god's sake, she's had American politicians curtsy to her.

Nancy Reagan didn't courtsy to the old Welfare-sucking heiffer - probably the only admirable thing she ever did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 30, 2019 9:22 PM

'My own fantasy is that Charles unexpectedly is raptured before the Queen..'

You sound so damn stupid and archaic when you rant on about people being 'raptured'. Plus, Harry is still more popular in Britain than grim looking William, so any move to pack him off anywhere would be incredibly unpopular. Harry and Meghan will have more status than they have now with Harry's father or his sole sibling on the throne.

by Anonymousreply 112August 31, 2019 12:24 AM

Is dislike for Camilla equal across British demographic groups, or is there a class bias to it? For instance, do chavs LIKE her (as someone they can relate to), or see her as a mere pretender?

Truth be told, for all the Camilla hate, every time I've seen her in public, she seemed to be on good behaviour & didn't come across any worse than the wives of most American politicians.

by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2019 8:09 AM

Years ago my sister's friend was driving in central London. Pulled up at red lights. Saw a woman in the car next to hers she vaguely thought she knew. She waved. Woman smiles and waves back. Both drive off. The girl later realises it was Camilla.

I personally think she sounds like a good old stick. And she really hasn't put a foot wrong in all the time she's been with Charles publicly.

by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2019 8:23 AM

The BRF's problem isn't that it's particularly doomed. All the monarchies of Europe since the end of WWI have been poised at the edge of an abyss. What it needs to do is realise that it has to cut down severely on the number of HRHs on the royal gravy train. Spending $4 million of public funding on a luxurious home for the sixth in line was ridiculous and bad optics. William is the King but one and Kensginton Palace is a London landmark. No tourists are going to visit Frogmore Cottage, it isn't going to return a farthing of revenue through the Crown Estates back to the Treasury. Who told the sixth in line he was entitled to an "official residence"?!

The UK government needs to do what the Danish government did, and inform the BRF that from a particular date onward, only the Sovereign and her heir get any direct public funding (or "appenage" as it is called in Denmark). Most of those patronages except for the very largest and highest profile, like Save the Children and the National Theatre, are mostly unknown by the public, who just don't care.

It needs to be pruned so that the incessant bad optics of married in grifters like Meghan Markle, and essentially meaningless royals like Harry, don't keep reminding the Great Unwashed how fabulous their lives are on other people's money. Harry's income after taxes wouldn't cover more than 25% of how he lives.

His father got rich on the public purse, his grandmother got rich on the public purse, they should be taking care of everyone behind William in the line of succession. In Denmark, even Crown Prince Frederik's younger brother and Frederik's younger children aren't going to get government support. Prince Joachim's kids and Frederik's younger kids are going to have to carve out lives for themselves. True, they'll have trust funds and backup, but they aren't going to get the kind of perks that Harry, way down at sixth in line, is getting.

If the BRF want to survive, it's precisely the Harry, Meghans, Andrews, Fergies, York girls, Kents, and Gloucesters, that have to go. And soon.

by Anonymousreply 115August 31, 2019 2:18 PM

^and further, Crown Prince Frederik's younger brother and his pretty French wife, Marie, don't seem to be eaten up with resentment at their more minor roles, and carry out annual programmes of official work for the Danish monarchy without garnering the remotest bad press. Marie seems to get that she's bloody lucky to have landed where she is, and she doesn't get out of bed in the morning trying to figure out how to show up her sister-in-law, Crown Princess Mary.

by Anonymousreply 116August 31, 2019 2:22 PM

R113 - Retired British academic, and I like Camilla. She seems down to earth, a good sort, and as if she doesn't take herself too seriously. I admired Diana's beauty and charisma, but unless you were blind, you could tell she and Charles were mismatched from the start. I was shocked but not surprised as their "fairy tale" spiralled downward so spectacularly. It was as they say, a perfect storm of bad timing for Charles and Camilla, and a seemingly perfectly sensible choice of compromise with a nice arista who should have worked out much better. I don't think Diana's mental issues were grasped outside the BRF for a very long time. Camilla must have seemed like an oasis for Charles after a short time of having Diana scream at him day in and day out for not fulfilling her fantasies of what marriage should be like.

by Anonymousreply 117August 31, 2019 2:29 PM

[quote]What it needs to do is realise that it has to cut down severely on the number of HRHs on the royal gravy train.

This is apparently what Charles is going to do when he's king.

by Anonymousreply 118August 31, 2019 4:03 PM

From 2012:

"In a way, it was the public’s dismay at hearing the details of the Waleses’ marital break-up, coupled with the refusal to meet the cost of Windsor Castle’s refurbishment [afer the fire], that forced the pace of change. The Queen instigated the “Way Ahead” group, a secret body of advisers and members of the family that met twice a year. It was in this forum that she and Prince Philip agreed that they should start paying income tax. The “minor” royals were taken off the civil list and forced to find salaried work or live off their private fortunes. (That the Way Ahead group no longer meets or even exists is testament to the fact that its work is done.)"

Done and dusted.

by Anonymousreply 119August 31, 2019 5:51 PM

I have mixed feelings about Harry-vs-sixth-in-line. Yeah, he'll probably never be king unless there's a horrific tragedy during a family vacation for William, but he IS "the spare", even if he's not "the heir". It would be a pretty horrible shock to grow up as #2, only to get unceremoniously kicked to the curb financially the moment your older brother/sister had a kid.

It would (in the long run) also jeopardize the safety OF the heir and his/her family. Palace Intrigue is supposed to be a thing of the past, and the best way (historically) to avoid it has been to keep "the spare" entertained, happy, and harmless... aware that if they DID become king/queen, they'd lose their carefree lifestyle and have to really WORK for it.

I think the present compromise is reasonable... supporting anyone who literally grows up in the palace as a prince/princess, but limiting it beyond that.

There's another aspect... do you think the UK would really WANT royal family members to go out and actively leverage their connections to earn money? In many ways, that would be perceived as 'corrupt' and WORSE than merely being wealthy on the public purse, but otherwise not participating in (or attempting to influence) the nation's economy for personal gain. Sure, you could try to minimize it with aggressive laws & oversight... but at some point, it's cheaper to just pay a half-dozen people to be idle playboys and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 120August 31, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote] So she only became friends with Oprah, Serena, and Amal AFTER the wedding?

r95, I don't know but what I think happened here is that Oprah, Amal Clooney and Serena took notice and interest based upon Markle's relationship with Prince Harry. And then hmmmm, this bears watching, and perhaps explored developing a friendship with her as her relationship with Harry deepened.

While it's possible that she was friends with them in her capacity as a 34 years old, "C" list star on a cable hit show, and ran in their circle, somehow, I doubt it.

Again, I've enjoyed observing The Duchess' climb. Nothing succeeds like excess, er, I mean success. I give the now Duchess of Sussex her due.

But still, she has not managed her new position and status astutely and appropriately.

How so? I'll indulge in a daydream here, much to the eyerolls of some, I'm sure.

If I, from the moment she curtsied to QE II ( and, based upon some of the DoS behavior, you'd think she saw QE II curtsy to her after she stated vows to her grandson) were an advisor to the Duchess of Sussex, here's what I'd have told her:

You, as a 34 years old, pretty, once-divorced American with African ancestry, educated at an elite university, semi-famous actor, caught "the most eligible bachelor in the world", nonsensical as that phrase is, a member of the BRF, grandson to QE II, and son and brother to future Kings of the UK. You're now a member of that family.

No more than those facts, and no more performance on your part, is needed to elicit attention and curiosity from the public. Their is built-in interest in you already. Therefore, you must swim against every instinct you have to seek public attention, other than appearances you're asked to make in your new duties. Learn. Don't set a foot wrong. Be discreet.

If you do that, your public appearances will have that much more impact; less is more will never be more apt.

Take my advice and act on it, and your stardom will be through the roof. Not in competition to Kate, but in CONTRAST to it. She knows meeting and interacting with celebrities isn't the job; it's a PART of the job, another duty. Absorb that reality and behave accordingly. You're not a celebrity anymore. They wait to meet you, not the other way around."

*daydream ends, abrupt awakening*

But no. The reality is that she started off with that superfluous, unnecessary, disastrous "A" List Celebrity Show Folk Trash NY City Shower and still hasn't recovered.

*sigh* I'll stay tuned...

by Anonymousreply 121August 31, 2019 6:00 PM

More from the 2012 article in the New Statesman:

In those pre-New Labour days, you had to be a friend of the Firm or a senior military officer to work for the monarchy. That cosy establishment was a barrier to transparency, and also prevented the Queen from picking up a sense of the public mood. Her press team – such as it was – lived at taxpayers’ expense in grace-and-favour royal apartments. The institution cost the nation £80m a year back then. Now it is a mere £30m....“It was flabby and inefficient, run by the establishment and its friends for the establishment and its friends. It’s transformed because it’s now run by professionals.”

by Anonymousreply 122August 31, 2019 6:01 PM

Lastly:

One journalist who has spent time with the [Harry] says: “He has the gift of his mother – he is a natural. He writes his own script from natural instinct. No one told him that cheating in a race against the world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, would be a golden television moment. He just did it. It was hilarious. Anyone else trying it would have looked cringe-making.”

There's more if you care to read it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 31, 2019 6:06 PM

(Now having watched a video of the "race", I have NO idea what the reporter is talking about.)

by Anonymousreply 124August 31, 2019 6:25 PM

Camilla seems like she'd be a blast to sit down and get hammered on G&T's with. Once a party girl, always a party girl. I've never had any ill will towards her.

by Anonymousreply 125August 31, 2019 8:14 PM

'If the BRF want to survive, it's precisely the Harry, Meghans, Andrews, Fergies, York girls, Kents, and Gloucesters, that have to go. And soon.'

Yep. And of course your favourite Charlotte is the Harry of her generation, so she should be cut off asap too, as should Louis.

by Anonymousreply 126September 1, 2019 12:08 AM

Camilla is unforgivably ugly and unglamorous. Literally, a trout face as we say here. She will never be forgiven for having an affair with Charles when he was married to Diana, who always topped popularity poll, ahead of the queen. That's why Camilla will always be far below Meghan on any poll.

by Anonymousreply 127September 1, 2019 12:10 AM

Louis is so adorable. He'll be petted and spoiled and will marry a European princess for love and have six kids.

Charlotte will grimly take up where Anne leaves off.

by Anonymousreply 128September 1, 2019 12:14 AM

r127, but seriously, how many royals *are* genuinely attractive? At Camilla's age, almost ALL non-Hispanic women end up being kind of frumpy. Even Diana would have been looking kind of haggard by now. If anything, Camilla started out kind of frumpy, then held on to her looks & improved slightly while others aged past her, so she's NOW slightly ahead of the game.

by Anonymousreply 129September 1, 2019 12:19 AM

OP's tripping. The Royals might be doomed but that's not something we'll see in our lifetimes.

And even if it were, Meghan Markle, of all people, would have no insight into that. She's an actress, not some sort of political science genius, you doofus.

She's "bucking" tradition because she's an American outsider know-nothing, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 130September 1, 2019 12:25 AM

Northwestern is an “elite” university?

by Anonymousreply 131September 1, 2019 12:26 AM

continuing r129... and "hispanic" specifically means "upper-class women from Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela, where plastic surgery is commonplace and EXPECTED".

by Anonymousreply 132September 1, 2019 12:26 AM

How in the world could the renovations have cost $4 million? Frogmore Cottage isn't a palace, it's not a big place by Royal standards. That's an astounding amount of money.

by Anonymousreply 133September 1, 2019 12:44 AM

Yes, r131. The Ivys aren't the only elite American colleges and universities.

Northwestern is a highly selective private school that is located in the same region of the country that another non-Ivy university is that some consider more selective than Harvard - the University of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 134September 1, 2019 12:47 AM

I should clarify that the University of Chicago Law School is regarded as more selective than the Ivys.

by Anonymousreply 135September 1, 2019 12:48 AM

Louis is clearly the charming extrovert of the three and would make the most charismatic king, just like Harry is more charismatic than dour William. George looks miserable and fey.

by Anonymousreply 136September 1, 2019 12:49 AM

R129, Camilla looked ugly as hell in her 30s too. And Kate and Meghan are still going to look attractive in their late 60s or however old Fugmilla is.

by Anonymousreply 137September 1, 2019 12:52 AM

Poo on my shoes is what I say to this thread

by Anonymousreply 138September 1, 2019 1:04 AM

The Welp Troll runs this thread.

by Anonymousreply 139September 1, 2019 1:23 AM

[quote]George looks miserable

eye roll

by Anonymousreply 140September 1, 2019 1:27 AM

Northwestern is a very good school. So is St Andrews. That said, one of my friends, whom I know tangentially as an academic because he worked in publishing (at a large well known publishing house) had several Ivy League men on staff there, and murmured to me once that he didn't know why, but they all seemed to have the same way of striding down a corridor excitecdly with their ties flying over their shoulders, and then when you actually heard what they had to say, it was entirely forgettable.

Being good at schools isn't quite the same as being deeply perceptive. I'll grant that getting a double First in a high end arena at Oxbridge takes some amount of brains, but lots of morons graduate from good schools.

by Anonymousreply 141September 1, 2019 12:50 PM

R140 - I know we would all be interested in where you did your post-graduate work on pediatric mental health, and where you're getting your vision checked, as your eyes seem to have missed those charming, laughing photos of George taken by his mother on his birthday.

by Anonymousreply 142September 1, 2019 4:18 PM

George needs to be confident in public situations, not just at home with his mother. At the moment, he looks sulky and awkward, whereas his younger two siblings are to the manner born.

by Anonymousreply 143September 2, 2019 12:00 AM

This thread should have been entitled, "Do You Think Meghan Markle HOPES The Britrish Monarchy Is Doomed?"

Not during Charles's reign, she still needs too much for him, but just in time to wreck everything the Cambridges were aimed toward.

By then, she knows she'll be a dumpt 60 year old boring Duchess married to the now 7th, 8th, or 9th in line whose twaddle-peddling no one pays attention to any longer. She'll have enjoyed 20 years of status, privilege, built up her jewellery collection, Charles will have left Harry another trust fund, Archie and Maybelle will have done most of their schooling on the taxpayers' backs, the family will be spending most of its time outside the UK, and she can sit back and smile with satisfaction at the Cambridges' demise.

by Anonymousreply 144September 2, 2019 12:12 PM

^*needs too much FROM him

by Anonymousreply 145September 2, 2019 12:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 2, 2019 1:55 PM

R143 it's to the MANOR born! As in Manor House.

by Anonymousreply 147September 2, 2019 2:09 PM

[quote]Besides being fat and old and not wealthy, what exactly were her father’s terrible crimes?

Being white?

by Anonymousreply 148September 2, 2019 2:32 PM

Her husband is white - that ‘sin’ is forgivable if enough money is involved.

by Anonymousreply 149September 2, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote]Two husbands and her live-in b/f are white - that ‘sin’ is forgivable if enough money and opportunities for advancement are involved.

Closer to the mark.

by Anonymousreply 150September 2, 2019 2:39 PM

R148 - Surely you jest. Being white was the best thing her father ever did for her besides paying her way through Northwestern. With her abysmal lack of any visible dramatic talent, the only thing she was able to leverage by straightening her hair and getting that nose job was being, as the casting directors say, "racially ambiguous". She looked exotic instead, and played that card for all it was worth.

She's always leant white. Just ask the sistahs on Lipstick Alley. And she's made damned sure her offspring are as white as possible, too. She wouldn't have had children with a real man of colour. Her aim was the top of the social pyramid, which is still, especially in Britain, overwhelmingly white.

She wants to be one of them, although she'd die before admitting it.

by Anonymousreply 151September 2, 2019 2:39 PM

But - as I think DL Hughly once said - being white and poor is a waste of whiteness.

by Anonymousreply 152September 2, 2019 4:46 PM

R121 - Della, Meghan was off to a bad start long before that PR disaster of a baby shower in New York. She'd already pissed the Queen off with Tiayragate and the reaming out of the chef in charge of the food at her wedding reception, then she wore a series of disastrous outfits with hefty price tags (the de la Renta at the Spencer wedding comes to mind) by non-British designers, and then the Maternity Coat Stunt at the Queen's granddaughter's televised wedding, and there werer quite a few missteps on the tour Down Under, as well - the leaked reports of abuse of staff, Melissa Tabouti quitting as soon as they got back and the BRF hastily putting out a press release praising Tabouti in order to keep the woman from trumpeting what she'd seen, heard, and been subjected to by the Duchess, another parade of mostly really bad but expensive outfits, and of course the endless bump cradling . . .

Her PR was bad by the time the baby shower rolled around, and she piled Pelion on Ossa with the absurdity of the mystery birth, secret godparents, and "private" christening, the Wimbledon Diva Act, whingeing about things being made "difficult" at the Lion King premiere and that horribly badly fitting but very expensive black dhress, and then the private jet fiasco.

In fact, if you want to be really accurate, she started out by threatening the UK press and then nailed her I Wanna Be Famous flag to the mast with the Vanity Fair cover, which she never would have gotten in a lifetime on her own merits.

Did I forget to mention the really cringe-inducing aphoristic cupcakes? Sired by the Aphoristic Bananas?

Face it, Della: she's a grifter and her inability to grasp certain realities has ended by her depleting the social capital and good will (and there was plenty of both, including from the BRF) in a remarkably short time.

She's her own worst enemy.

by Anonymousreply 153September 2, 2019 4:47 PM

Thomas ran out of $, thus was tossed off the sled. He also knows truths that are contrary to her victimhood PR, thus he must be discredited and silenced.

by Anonymousreply 154September 2, 2019 4:48 PM

He became off brand, simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 155September 2, 2019 4:49 PM

Harry should visit Thomas in Mexico. I'm sure he could hook Harry up with some local hookers.

by Anonymousreply 156September 2, 2019 4:57 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 2, 2019 5:12 PM

Viscountess Weymouth is the first biracial viscountess in the United Kingdom. Her children's paternal grandmother, The Marchioness of Bath, is banned from visiting the children due to her racist remarks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 2, 2019 6:15 PM

Viscountess Weymouth, Emma Thynn, and her 2 children

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 2, 2019 6:43 PM

Yes - but that's aristocracy, not royalty. People often forget that by the rules, Diana Spencer was a commoner. Anyone under the rank of HRH isn't royal but common, no matter how aristocratically pedigreed. The Viscount and Viscountess of Weymouth are Very High Aristocracy - but not Royalty. Thus, Meghan married higher up. That said, her son, a mere earl without royal standing because he was not given an HRH by the Queem, will rank among aristos as lower than the future Marquess of Bath, as a Marquess ranks higher than an earl.

The Queen, by withholding an HRH from Archie, made him a commoner with a royal father. I still see Archie occasionally referred to as a "prince", or Meghan referred to as the mother of a prince, but he isn't and she isn't. She's a royal Duchess by virtue of marriage and mother of a commoner.

By the time Charles gets to the throne, no matter what the technicalities are, Archie will undoubtedly continue on as he was at birth. Those things are rarely changed years on. And with taxpayer unrest rising about funding people so far down the line, it's unlikely Charles will want another HRH on the taxpayers' payroll and decree that Archie continue to be known Archie Harrion Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton. Any daughter will continue as Lady Betty Mountbatten-Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 160September 2, 2019 6:43 PM

^*Archie Harrison (not Harrion)

by Anonymousreply 161September 2, 2019 6:44 PM

Stop talking to yourself DR

by Anonymousreply 162September 2, 2019 7:32 PM

I do not think Meghan ever wanted to be part of the aristocracy. No matter how white she may be, she knows she will never be white enough for them. That deadbeat bitch Prince Michael let Meghan know just where she stood. It is my belief that Harry and her were always planning to escape the UK because she never intended to let others tell her what to do. I think the BRF tried to tolerate her because of Harry but he has chosen his wife and son. Unless Meghan tosses him aside they are Bonnie and Clyde. I also believe she wanted her son to be a "commoner" because now the BRF can not dictate how or where he is raised.

by Anonymousreply 163September 2, 2019 11:51 PM

'Besides being fat and old and not wealthy, what exactly were her father’s terrible crimes?'

The father gave sit down interviews to the Sun and US publications for money, that's the main reason why they've been estranged.

by Anonymousreply 164September 3, 2019 12:00 AM

' Della, Meghan was off to a bad start long before that PR disaster of a baby shower in New York. She'd already pissed the Queen off with Tiayragate and the reaming out of the chef in charge of the food at her wedding reception, then she wore a series of disastrous outfits with hefty price tags (the de la Renta at the Spencer wedding comes to mind) by non-British designers, and then the Maternity Coat Stunt at the Queen's granddaughter's televised wedding, and there werer quite a few missteps on the tour Down Under, as well - the leaked reports of abuse of staff, Melissa Tabouti quitting as soon as they got back and the BRF hastily putting out a press release praising Tabouti in order to keep the woman from trumpeting what she'd seen, heard, and been subjected to by the Duchess, another parade of mostly really bad but expensive outfits, and of course the endless bump cradling .'

The autistic hyperfixation of R153 is actually terrifying. She takes Daily Express stories as gospel truth and never forgets a single one. As if anybody except for R153 is offended by 'bump cradling'.

You are mentally ill. Stop lecturing other people, and make that appointment with a psych doctor today.

by Anonymousreply 165September 3, 2019 12:06 AM

Will the people in this thread please read the “Identifying a Poo Shoes Post” and move the on with your lives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 3, 2019 12:27 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 3, 2019 1:29 AM

Isn't that the same PR firm she's had all along?

by Anonymousreply 168September 3, 2019 1:37 AM

I believe it was her PR firm before she married. The BRF hired their PR teams after marriage.

by Anonymousreply 169September 3, 2019 1:43 AM

Is Harry about to be hit with a #MeToo scandal?

by Anonymousreply 170September 3, 2019 2:13 PM

[quote]By the time Charles gets to the throne, no matter what the technicalities are, Archie will undoubtedly continue on as he was at birth. Those things are rarely changed years on.

Charles will issue a new letters patent to clarify precedence (Kate won't be curtseying to the blood princesses any longer, whether William's around or not) and presumably that could include a rewrite of the sons of the sons of the sovereign are princes bit. Restricting royal titles to the children of the heir aligns with Charles' alleged slimmed down monarchy. Though I bet these days Charles is seeing his sister and youngest brother in a new light.

by Anonymousreply 171September 4, 2019 4:21 AM

^ in that respect he could change the table of precedence such that descendants of sons of the sovereign outrank non-royal dukes and downward.

by Anonymousreply 172September 4, 2019 4:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!