Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Respect a transgender person's desired names, pronouns and identity: Readers sound off

Readers respond to Jay Keck's column, "My daughter thinks she's transgender. Her public school undermined my efforts to help her," about his child's transition.

"In April 2016, my then 14-year-old daughter became convinced that she was my son. In my attempt to help her, her public school undermined me every step of the way.

Throughout my daughter’s childhood, there were no signs that she wanted to be a boy. She loved stuffed animals, Pocahontas and wearing colorful bathing suits. I can’t recall a single interest that seemed unusually masculine, or any evidence that she was uncomfortable as a girl.

The only difficulty she had was forming and maintaining friendships. We later learned why: She was on the autism spectrum. She was very functional and did well in school, helped by her Individualized Education Program (IEP), a common practice for public school students who need special education.

At her high school, my daughter was approached by a girl who had recently come out at school as transgender. Shortly after meeting her, my daughter declared that she, too, was a boy trapped in a girl’s body and picked out a new masculine name.

She first came out as transgender to her school, and when she announced that she was a boy, the faculty and staff — who had full knowledge of her mental health challenges — affirmed her. Without telling me or my wife, they referred to her by her new name. They treated my daughter as if she were a boy, using male pronouns and giving her access to a gender neutral restroom.

When her mother and I first found out, our feelings of helplessness and astonishment made it difficult to get through each day. But I feel my daughter is a victim more than anything else.

In an IEP meeting just after she told us about being a boy, I told the school that our wishes are to call her by her legal name at all times. The social worker present at the meeting stated that we have that right to make that request, so I assumed school staff would follow our directive. I followed up that meeting with an email, but later learned that my request was ignored and school staff continued to refer to her by the male name.

We met with the school district’s assistant superintendent, who told us the hands of school personnel are tied and that they had to follow the law. But there was no law, only the Obama administration’s “Dear Colleagues” letter of May 2016 that said schools need to officially affirm transgender students. Just three months later, in August 2016, a federal judge in Texas blocked the guidelines from being enforced. And in February 2017, the Trump administration rescinded the Obama-era guidelines, leaving it to the states to set their own policies.

I also learned that the ACLU has sent threatening letters to schools stating that it is against the law to disclose a student’s gender identity, even to their parents. But this letter appears to misunderstand federal law. The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act requires that schools allow parents to “inspect and review” their child’s education records as long as the child is under 18.

My daughter told me that the school social worker was advising her about halfway houses because he thought we did not support her. The social worker confirmed this when I scheduled a meeting with him to discuss it. This felt like a horrifying attempt to encourage our daughter to run away from home.

We had our daughter evaluated by a psychologist approved by the school district. He told us that it was very clear that our daughter’s sudden transgender identity was driven by her underlying mental health conditions, but would only share his thoughts off the record because he feared the potential backlash he would receive. In the report he submitted to us and the school, he did not include these concerns that he would only share in person.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 10:21 PM

In my attempts over the past several years to get help for my daughter, what I have learned has shocked me.

The National Education Association has partnered with the Human Rights Campaign and other groups to produce materials advocating automatic affirmation of identities, name changes and pronouns, regardless of parents’ concerns. In 18 states and the District of Columbia, including in my home state of Illinois, there are “conversion therapy” bans, which prevent therapists from questioning a child’s gender identity. No wonder my daughter’s therapist would only speak to me off the record.

Some agencies, like the New Jersey Department of Education, warn school districts to “be mindful of disputes” between children and their parents over gender identity. The department's “Transgender Student Guidance” document refers educators to the state’s "Child Abuse, Neglect, and Missing Children" webpage, suggesting that school staff might be encouraged to report parents if they disagree with their child transitioning.

When parents are willing to go along with their child’s transitioning, the process can move at a frightening pace. Doctors with the Endocrine Society rewrote the guidelines for treating young patients who say they are transgender in order to give hormone treatments to children younger than 16 years old. Even more concerning, surgeries such as mastectomies and orchiectomies (the removal of testicles) are performed on teenagers.

Through all this, I’ve learned that I’m not alone. Many parents just like my wife and me are often afraid to speak out because we are told we are transphobic bigots, simply because we do not believe our children were born into the wrong bodies.

When our daughter returned to high school to finish her senior year, I contacted the principal to let him know I expected her legal name to be used at graduation. Once again, the school refused to honor my request.

Now, thanks in large part to my daughter’s school, my daughter is more convinced than ever that she is a boy, and that testosterone may be necessary for her to become her authentic self.

She turned 18 in late June and life-altering, dangerous testosterone injections are just one “informed consent form” away. She can turn to any one of Illinois’s 17 Planned Parenthood clinics for cheap and easy access. No extensive mental health assessment will be required, and there will be nothing I can do to stop her.

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 7:34 PM

Letters to the editor:

[quote] Victoria M. Rodríguez-Roldán, J.D. , senior policy counsel, National LGBTQ Task Force; Washington

Keck's column would have you think that only he can know whether his son is transgender or not. But the reality is, transgender people come to terms with their own identity in a journey that only they can walk.

When Keck denies his son’s identity and criticizes his son’s school for affirming it, his behavior not only harms his son but also harms transgender children around the country. Survey after survey has shown that one of the greatest preventatives of suicide attempts among LGBTQ youth is family acceptance of their child's identity.

Respecting a transgender person's desired names, pronouns and identity is key to their happiness and mental health. Likewise, attempts at changing a youth's gender identity have been discredited at large by the medical community; many states have banned the torture known as conversion therapy.

I hope Keck can one day learn to unconditionally love and accept his son for who he is.

[quote] Scott Sitner; Birmingham, Mich.

As a parent who has addressed these same issues in the last year, I have real concerns about the extent to which Keck went to usurp his child's wishes at what is a critical phase of any teenager's life.

I don't profess to understand how someone is transgender, although I believe it is an inherent part of who they are and not a choice, because why would someone make that truly difficult choice in this society? But as a parent, one of our jobs is to support our kids, to work with them and to get them ready to be adults.

Maybe Keck is unhappy with his son's choice, maybe he is confused, maybe he is angry — I understand that. But by denying his son the ability to make his own life decisions, and by denying the possibility that his son is transgender, Keck is effectively calling his child a liar or fraud.

Parents should act rationally in the face of the hard or shocking things our kids do. When we don't, we are telling them we don't believe in them and we don't trust them. In fact, we should be supporting them almost unconditionally.

I would hope that even in the face of disagreement on this issue, Keck could've made better choices in how he dealt with his child, and not become a child himself. Our kids expect more from us.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 7:36 PM

[quote] Jasmine Groom; Hinsdale, Illinois

While I’m sure Keck genuinely believes he is doing what is best for his son, he is actually stripping him of his agency and right to explore his gender identity.

Keck expresses anger at the school, suggesting it confused his son, but school officials did what he had failed to do: be there for his child as he explored something deeply personal. They supported his new pronouns, his new name, his right to explore his gender.

Keck considers his son a victim of the system, but he doesn’t speak of any attempts to understand where his child is coming from. Keck decides that he knows better. His son is an adult now, but Keck seems to still view his son as incapable of understanding himself.

There is no line in the sand in the trans experience that says you can't turn back if you change your mind. People who respect you are willing to refer to you as your preferred pronouns, however many times you change them.

If someone decides to explore their gender identity, and then decide they’re trans, they have found a comfortable identity. No matter the situation, their lives are that much richer, and they understand themselves that much better. To act like it's "just a phase" is to ignore that there are very few pieces of ourselves that last from birth till death. We grow, we change, and the human experience is phases.

[quote] Aden Wilke; Norcross, Ga.

As a teacher, I’ve seen parents reject many of their children’s choices. Funny enough, the same explanations for why their child shouldn't go against their wishes usually is that they're "too young to know," "someone put ideas in their head" or "it'll ruin them," the same sentiments Keck suggested. But we forget that being a young adult means they are discovering themselves beyond the family unit.

If Keck’s son has known for years that this is his identity, especially with the affirmation from his school, he is not misguided. He knows exactly who he is, more so than any of us.

Lastly, as someone that is autistic myself, it wasn't kind that it was used as a reason why Keck's son couldn't understand himself and his actions. Autism makes it harder for us to communicate to others and read social cues, but it in no way hinders how we see and understand ourselves.

[quote] Elizabeth Fischer; Valley Cottage, N.Y.

I am autistic and transgender. Being autistic comes with real challenges, but we are real people. Keck seems to suggest that capable autistic people should be denied agency over their own health care, just because their parents disagree with them. There is no "national policy epidemic" of schools calling kids by the name they request. The real epidemic is trans-autistic youth who are made homeless and suicidal by hysterical parents. I hope this parent reconsiders before he permanently destroys his relationship with his son.

[quote] Jessica Stallsmith; Middletown, Pa.

I am a transgender woman. When I was 13 years old, I knew that I was a woman trapped in a man's body. But not knowing that I could go on hormones, I moved on. I am now 37 and only transitioned two months before my last birthday. Since then, my life has completely changed. Throughout my entire adolescence and adult life, I've suffered from anxiety, depression and an inability to function in society. I have tried multiple medications to deal with these problems: None worked.

Then I went on hormones. I was terrified. I didn't know how exactly I was going to change, but I didn't want to live the way that I was living. Since then, I feel that I am now running on all cylinders. My anxiety and depression are largely gone. I have my good days, I have my bad days, but I feel more even-keeled than I ever have. I entirely attribute this to my transition.

My transition helped me become the person that I always wanted to be, always knew I could be, a fully functioning member of society.

[quote] Olive Cooke; Kansas City, Mo.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 7:39 PM

It was heartbreaking to read this fearmongering masquerading as a parent's love for his child. Nothing in the piece suggests there was an actual problem with his son transitioning — for anyone other than the parents.

Letting kids transition may seem counterintuitive, but studies suggest it is a way to prevent suicide or a lifetime of depression. I struggled for decades to come to terms with myself and to come out. I wish so much that our society and institutions had been able to accept and support me when I was a teenager. I lost many years to mental health issues that have been largely resolved thanks to my transition. I have the support of my friends, family and colleagues, and I am happy.

This young man who has been publicly insulted and humiliated, in a materially dangerous way, is so much braver than I can imagine for being himself, despite his father's refusal to accept him. He has a chance at the life that I and many, many others wished we had, and he will be an inspiration to the next generation of trans kids.

Trans rights are human rights.

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2019 7:39 PM

Too FUCKING long. DID not read. This is trolling for cheap humourless snark.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2019 7:42 PM

R5, you seem very angry.

You should lower your dosage.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2019 7:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 7:44 PM

There is much that we have to learn about transitioning at this point. Jumping to the conclusion that just because a kid says "I'm trans" they are is idiotic and irresponsible. Lives can be irreparably altered by impulsive non-thinking.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote] Respecting a transgender person's desired names, pronouns and identity is key to their happiness and mental health.

Respecting my innate desire to be known as an 18-year-old white twink (forever and ever) is also "the key to my happiness and mental health". Especially on dating apps.

If someone dares mention that I'm actually biologically an 81-year-old Asian eldergay - I'll become suicidal and blame cruel society for denying my 'true identity'.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2019 7:47 PM

R4 Could you share long term peer reviewed research into the effects that the opposite sex hormones have on pubescent bodies. Thanks in advance

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2019 7:49 PM

[quote] Letting kids transition may seem counterintuitive, but studies suggest it is a way to prevent suicide or a lifetime of depression.

Letting people "self-identify" their age will also "prevent suicide or a lifetime of depression" for many. Many people experience chronic, debilitating depression and crippling anxiety about their age and get panic attacks when being called "middle-aged" or "old".

If we just let everyone state their "preferred age" and their "preferred age adjectives" (the age that people FEEL they are) and let people change their age on their official documents and social media (to anything starting from 18 and upwards) - it will alleviate the chronic pain so many marginalised, suicidal people suffer in this cruel, ageist society.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2019 8:00 PM

I am sympathetic to the father, but I’m not sure what he expected the school to do (other than informing him, and it’s pretty messed up that they didn’t).

If a child claims a certain nickname teachers are usually willing to use it. When people are present you usually refer to them by name, not using a male or female pronoun. If I were a HS teacher, I’d just bend over backwards to avoid pronouns and always use a child’s name. I can’t tell from the letter if the school went out of its way to affirm the male gender identity, or simply did the bare minimum to not publicly contradict the child’s assertion of their maleness.

The school should have communicated what was going on to the parents, but using a child’s name preference and allowing access to a gender neutral bathroom (since one was available) doesn’t seem like a big deal. I also have to wonder how the child was dressing. If they abruptly went from wearing girl’s’ clothes to boys’ clothes, how did the parents not notice? If they had been wearing boys clothes all along, then there WAS a sign. I realize clothes for teens can be pretty androgynous, but they are not identical. And they are sold in different departments.

I also question why the parents didn’t witness other children referring to their child as male. Did they attend school events, did school and neighborhood friends come over?

I can understand the father’s outrage, but I think there is also an element of trying to blame someone for the situation. Why couldn’t everyone just agree on a gender neutral nickname and tell the kid to “stop thinking in binary terms” or something like that? Then get additional support for any underlying issues and wait and see. Instead of totally alienating the kid and the school.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2019 8:11 PM

Tranzing kids = child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2019 9:10 PM

It's not child abuse but sometimes it's completely irresponsible and ignorant. When I was a kid I wanted to be a woman, now for the life of meI'm grateful that I didn't. I love my cock, my masculine body and my deep voice.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2019 10:08 PM

[quote]Throughout my daughter’s childhood, there were no signs that she wanted to be a boy. She loved stuffed animals, Pocahontas and wearing colorful bathing suits. I can’t recall a single interest that seemed unusually masculine, or any evidence that she was uncomfortable as a girl.

[quote]The only difficulty she had was forming and maintaining friendships. We later learned why: She was on the autism spectrum. She was very functional and did well in school, helped by her Individualized Education Program (IEP), a common practice for public school students who need special education.

[quote]At her high school, my daughter was approached by a girl who had recently come out at school as transgender. Shortly after meeting her, my daughter declared that she, too, was a boy trapped in a girl’s body and picked out a new masculine name.

Setting aside the absurd gender stereotyping, your child had difficulty making friends with other people. Then, immediately after finally making friends with a T, decides to become transgendered.

Oh no, there are no red flags in this situation. None at all.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2019 10:12 PM

Are all trans kids autistic? Seems that way. Face it, mom and dad. You've got bad DNA. That's your fault. Not ours. It's not up to the rest of the world to wrap your botched spawn in cotton wool for the rest of their lives. We've got our own lives to worry about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2019 10:18 PM

I say good luck to any people wanting to transition. One of my friends started to live full time as a woman just as I met her. She started taking hormones a short time before that. Pronouns are the least of it. I used to sometimes slip up but she never took offence. I don't now and I don't think anyone else would either. Transitioning is a slow process, but now everything in appearance and pronouns match. She recently went through a period of unemployment and depression, but is now employed and happier. I hate to think how much worse her unhappiness would have been if she hadn't transitioned. I see one of her main problems is how men see her as an exotic dalliance but not someone they would take to meet the family. That feeling of always being cast aside is a hell of a lot more painful than someone saying 'he'.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2019 11:12 PM

It's be one thing if it's as simple as adhering to the child's preferred gender names and pronouns. However it's not as easy as that, there are other factors at hand that make this problem a difficult one with both sociocultural and biological/ health implications.

The problem with acquiescing to young children's wishes is that children's brains are not fully developed yet. Full cognition including executive functioning doesn't develop until mid to late teen years, coinciding with a time where we learn to ponder difficult or crucial life decisions. Hormones play a huge role in cognitive and emotional development. There are no longterm studies that show hormone blockers to be safe in healthy pediatric population; hormones may be used to treat or augment therapy for those with endocrine disorders. But healthy pediatric population, no longitudinal studies exist to my knowledge. Because children lack the full extent of cognition, is it safe and in their best interest to let them make medical decisions that have serious, irreversible side effects?

I currently have three patients who identify as transgender, two of them are also diagnosed with bipolar disorder and the other one has schizoaffective disorder, all three have anxiety disorder. It's not unusual for transgender people to carry dual or multiple diagnoses.. Concomitant disorders do merit more scrutiny from medical and psychological standpoints. It has nothing to do with human rights and agency, and everything to do with ensuring the physical and psychological welfare of the child.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2019 11:31 PM

I have a problem with the drugs used to help Trans-kids. The long term effects on the kidneys, liver, lymph system and neurology are not yet known, and it's seriously dangerous to jeopardize your health with new to market drugs.

There should be layers of safety nets for candidates who are seriously considering this. Not to mention that schools kowtowing to the 'self identification ' of kids without having a candid discussion with the child and parents at the same time is just stupid. I can't help but think of how the IRS is the only agency in this country to decide whether a 'church ' is a legitimate religion.

Why aren't young people who are identifying themselves required to do some kind of INDEPENDENT of school and family, a certain amount of psychotherapy so that instead of facing judgement or jumping in feet first they can have some time and space to consider the gravity of what they're actually doing.

It just seems like the gaping holes and problems galore in the way that this entire subject is evolving should be addressed sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 12:58 AM

And herein lies the difference between being gay/lesbian and being trans. If you think you may be gay, you get to try it out - if it's not for you, you will know.

But, you don't know what it is like to be another sex until you've gone through some serious, long-term treatment. You can't waffle on your decision, lest you be judged as being wishy-washy or that it was a mistake or a phase.

You can walk away unscathed as a man who has sucked a dick. The gay community isn't going to put a gun to your head and say that you have to keep sucking a dick. For trans, it seems like it is all about absolutism. And the internet echo chamber reinforces it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 1:14 AM

too long for a useless topic

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 1:37 AM

[quote] Transitioning is a slow process

“Transitioning” from a full-cocked male into a castrated eunuch male.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 4:33 AM

Planned Parenthood provides Trans hormones? Isn't that sort of outside their purview?

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2019 4:43 AM

In this particular case it is very unlikely hormones or hormone blockers were administered. Regardless of what schools do, medical providers follow the instructions of parents until the age of 18.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2019 12:15 PM

No one "transitions" from male to female. They simply replicate socially-accepted demeaning female stereotypes. There is no reason to alter pronouns, driving licenses, passports, etc. because they are still and will always be MEN.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2019 12:23 PM

Back in the dark ages - and I have never told this to anyone - I sat at the dining room table and - omg this is embarrassing looking back - I told my whole family I was actually from another planet!!!. My parents played along and humoured me for a while until it all blew over.

I was very into science fiction and, because I didn't fit in, it was a wonderful escape for me. We all try to find our place and often experiment with ideas to figure out why we are different. I was as much an alien as this young woman is a man.

You are what you are.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2019 12:38 PM

I wanted to wear a slinky, polka-dot dress with a tight bust and long train. I wanted to wear ringlets in my hair and snarl at men. I wanted to join the Jose Greco dance troupe and to snap my castanets.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 10:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!