Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hot Guys in Space

Yuri Gagarin was pretty damned cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2019 2:49 AM

Sizzling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 5:05 PM

Jack Swigert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 5:10 PM

Ben. He was only play-pretending, but close enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 5:11 PM

Major Matt Mason

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2019 5:23 PM

John Young, who looked even better with age and silver hair, imo.

Woof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2019 5:28 PM

Roger Chaffee was a cute farm boy but sadly never made it to space. He died testing Apollo 1 and I believe that would have been his first space flight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2019 5:31 PM

If Ben counts, so does Keir Dullea!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 6:59 AM

Young Neil... what a cutie pie!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 7:07 AM

One of my fave pics of Neil... amazing smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 7:10 AM

R3 That's a nice picture of young Ben but his uneven nostrils make me think he's got a deviated septum.

He probably snores.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 7:15 AM

Another astronaut who died in the Apollo 1 fire (January 1967) was Gus Grissom. He wasn't particularly handsome, but he had a nice, trim physique and a hairy chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 8:03 AM

John Young, who served in the Gemini and Apollo programs and also piloted the Space Shuttle was a nice-looking man. Here he is in 1965, when he was 35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 8:16 AM

R11 Gus would have had my vote.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2019 10:30 AM

Gus Grissom, Gordon Cooper, Elliot See, and Neil Armstrong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2019 6:05 PM

Hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 7:32 PM

R15 it may have been 52 years ago but it’s still too soon... If you ever heard the Apollo 1 audio... it’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 11:47 PM

Major Don West!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2019 12:10 AM

Kirk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2019 12:12 AM

Jack Swigert was a cutie in his prime, and widely assumed to be gay—his obituary noted that he was "devoted to his mother" and never had time to date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2019 12:21 AM

yep doll face, so cute. grew to be a strapping handsome man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2019 12:24 AM

He was, OP. He was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2019 12:27 AM

Gagarin looked like a Shar Pei.

by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2019 12:31 AM

John Chrichton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2019 12:38 AM

It didn't work out so well for Yuri. They refused to let him fly to space again because he was a national hero, so eventually he trained as fighter jet pilot and died in a test flight of a MiG. He was Christian and the Soviets weren't happy about that.

I created this thread because I watched American.Experience - Chasing the Moon - which is a fantastic documentary that is both sardonic and hero-worshipping. After 6 hours, I was left with basic unanswerable questions about how magnificent the engineering was but also how silly a lot of it was. The documentary is full of great clips of all the American astronauts and their wives and families.

I grew up during this "space race" and I don't remember learning ANYTHING at all about the russian side - brief mentions but no personalities, no "heroes".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2019 12:41 AM

He was hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2019 12:46 AM

Yuri had a great smile and was very good at public appearances, which became his job. He had an everyday boy next door Russian face but that was his charm. During WWII Germans took over his family house and the family lived in a mud house in the garden. The French wiki is a bit more graphic than the English, in the gory details of how that family suffered.

En 1941, la guerre avec l'Allemagne nazie éclate. Youri, qui est le troisième des enfants Gagarine, a alors sept ans. Le village est bombardé, ses ressources épuisées par les réfugiés qui affluent à la suite de la première bataille de Smolensk puis, fin 1942, est occupé par les troupes allemandes avant que la famille n'ait eu le temps de s'enfuir. La brutalité des occupants nazis ne connaît pas de bornes. Le cadet de Youri, Boris, subit un début de pendaison avant d'être relâché à moitié mort à cause des supplications de sa mèreN 3. La sœur de Youri est blessée par un Allemand avec une faux et son père est si gravement battu après avoir tenté de saboter un moulin qu'il reste définitivement invalide. La famille est expulsée de son isba par les soldats allemands et doit creuser un abri primitif dans lequel elle est obligée de vivre. En 1943, Valentin et Zoya, ses frère et sœur aînés, sont déportés dans un camp de travail forcé en Pologne par les SS ; là-bas, ils parviennent à survivre, puis à s'échapper avant de rejoindre les troupes soviétiques. Les parents n'apprendront qu'ils sont toujours en vie qu'à la fin de la guerre. La famille de Youri survit sous les bombardements et la famine. Malgré les risques,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2019 12:54 AM

Ilan Ramon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2019 2:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!