Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dogs may be a bigger threat to wildlife than birds

"Fernandez and Silva wanted to learn more. They set up cameras and discovered dozens of dogs in the forest. They estimated more than 100 dogs were in the park — not residents, it turned out, so much as frequent visitors, tracking in from nearby favelas.

“These are people who are very poor,” said Silva, who has six dogs at home. “They don’t have money to build walls. . . . When the owners leave for work, the dog leaves, too, and only returns when the owner comes back to the house from work.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 12:26 AM

How are birds a threat to wildlife?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 11:24 AM

It's always the fault of poor people

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 1:19 PM

Nat'l Geographic:

Three billion birds have been lost in North America since 1970

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2019 6:46 PM

The problem with dogs is dog owners - nobody thinks THEIR "fur baby" is ever a problem.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2019 7:05 PM

It's not the dogs. It's the attitude about "oh it's fine, they can run free and reproduce freely-- spreading whatever disease" -- it's not the North American or European way of owning a dog. Latin Americans don't treat their dogs very well IMO.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2019 7:10 PM

They rarely spay or neuter them, also. But dog owners everywhere are insufferable. The inability to see their own furry angel as aggressive, even when they are; their excusal of every bad behavior - it's always another animal's or person's fault.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2019 7:17 PM

It IS the dogs - because they're inexorably tied to the human race. We overpopulate and destroy the environment. So do they. We suck, and they follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2019 7:18 PM

My best friends German Shepherd killed a deer, last year. I believe the neighbor called the Wildlife Refuge and they picked up the deceased deer. My friend was told next time there will be a fine. Although, the deer came in to his fenced property. I hope I’m remembering correctly. It was very sad.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2019 7:20 PM

This is Pro-Cat Propaganda since there have been a spate of articles on how feral cats kill millions of birds.

#DontBlameDogs

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2019 7:20 PM

They do, R9, but nowhere near the same number of birds as pesticides are killing. The NYT was explicit about it.

From the above article - "Grassland species have suffered the biggest declines by far, having lost 717 million birds. These birds have probably been decimated by modern agriculture and development.

“Every field that’s plowed under, and every wetland area that’s drained, you lose the birds in that area,” Dr. Rosenberg said.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2019 7:25 PM

What gets me about dogs, even domesticated, not-feral dogs, is that they kill for sport, not food.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2019 7:26 PM

R11 truth

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2019 7:26 PM

Not true, r11. It's cats you're thinking of -- they kill from instinct, and toy with their prey before it's dead, too. And -- at least in North America and Europe -- dogs are far less likely to be out alone, running around killing wildlife than cats are.

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2019 7:48 PM

I guess my experience with dogs is different than yours, R13. From what I've seen, dogs get the run of the property while cats are kept in the house.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2019 8:09 PM

Dogs are pack animals. Cats are solo hunters. And evil.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2019 11:00 PM

[quote]The problem with dogs is dog owners - nobody thinks THEIR "fur baby" is ever a problem.

Could not have said it better!

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2019 11:04 PM

Dogs, they're animals.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2019 12:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!