Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The inimitable Karen Black

This slightly boss-eyed eccentric is without a doubt my favorite batshit $cientologist in history. I can't help it—she was just fantastic on screen. Her performance in Five Easy Pieces is still heartbreaking. Even when her career went down the route of bad indie flicks in the '90s, I still adored her in everything I saw her in. She was a real workhorse when you look through her filmography. She had an insane number of film credits, and always made weird choices. A lot of them were failures, but her successes outshone the trash. She was basically a $cieno version of Margot Kidder. I'm still sad she's not around anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2019 9:52 PM

She was a product of her time. Sure she was good but only in the late 60s / early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 8:22 AM

I would add the early 80s for Come Back to Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean on stage and in the film version.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 8:52 AM

In Concert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 9:00 AM

"Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean," is set in Texas.

KAREN BLACK: That was a very-very difficult role. And I hope to never do it again. When I was sent the script, they first offered me the Kathy Bates part. But I was ecstatic to do Joanne. I first thought of her as a transvestite. But she’s a transsexual, which is not the same at all. So I studied these women. The more you researched, the sadder it got. My character was disappointed with her change. I cried a lot while making that because it was so painful. Because people would have their entire bodies replaced to chase that pot of gold at the end of that rainbow. But when they got there, the pot was empty. There are suicides — and a lot of sad statistics. A transsexual helped me. She’d show me about sitting, smoking and crossing my arms. She’d correct me and say, “No, no, no. That's not right.” It was a difficult Broadway play. I was happier onscreen because Joanne is a quiet person — she thinks a lot. The index of her personality is really not in her behavior, but rather in her perception. So a closer camera suited the character better. And that was a relief.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2019 9:32 AM

They really don't make 'em like Karen anymore, do they? She was offbeat, one-of-a-kind, and brilliant in a way that was similar to her peer Shelley Duvall. I can't think of a modern-day equivalent. I always thought it was weird that she was a Scientologist, although I suppose it makes sense given that they prey on people who are a bit mad/off-kilter, espousing all their seemingly 'practical' solutions to the problems of life. Was she actually an active Scientologist up to the end? I recall reading rumors that she'd left some time in the 2000s, but she never really talked about it—come to think of it, she never really discussed it, ever.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2019 10:00 AM

r5 A modern day equivalent would be Chloe Sevigny.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2019 10:54 AM

Chloe is a fantastic comparison, R6—I don't know why I didn't think of her. She is really the only one today who seems to exist in that same sort of space. I'm a fan of both hers and Karen's for essentially the same reasons—both take/took risks and aren't as calculated and measured as bores like Jessica Chastain or Sandra Bullock. Even when the risks don't pan out, at least something interesting/unusual was strived for.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 11:12 AM

Karen Black is the only person in history who has worked with the likes of Robert Altman and Alfred Hitchcock, AND appeared in such things as Rob Zombie flicks and Death Grips music video. The polarities there are almost too extreme to fathom, and Karen deserves to be heralded as an icon for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2019 11:18 AM

She always reminds me of a B picture Faye Dunaway, but much more likable.

I think the level of crazy is about the same. Faye's just meaner.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2019 11:45 AM

You're right, R9, although I've never read any accounts of Karen having been mean in the slightest. She seemed like a nice, albeit inarguably kooky, lady. Faye, on the other hand, is a vainglorious cunt who, unlike Karen, will not be the subject of fond DL threads such as this one, but rather threads that rehash all of the innumerable ways in which she was a vainglorious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2019 11:53 AM

That is a brilliant analysis of her character, Joanne is JIMMY DEAN (and amazing her perception as to why creating the character was much more suited to the camera's scrutiny, rather than the size of a Broadway stage. It also says much about the never allowed to be spoken danger of transitioning. We'll read a lot about this disappointment in the years to come.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2019 11:56 AM

If you read interviews with her, it's clear she was a very adept, intellectual woman. She had a nutty aura about her that might have made her appear otherwise, but I believe she was highly intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2019 12:04 PM

Karen reportedly did not get along with Cher on Jimmy Dean.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2019 12:14 PM

Really, R13? Never heard this before. I can't necessarily blame her.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2019 10:20 PM

Karen claimed for years that Day of the Locust ruined her career; not because of her performance, but because apparently there was some sort of squabble within the studio involving her. She never stated what was said about her or the "gossip" she claimed was circling around her, but she alleged that it ended in her being blackballed by major studios. The timing does add up, because after 1975 she started doing horror flicks and random indies and international films. It's sad that Day of the Locust was such a bad experience, because she is absolutely fucking brilliant in it. I am a massive fan of the Nathanael West novel—I even wrote my M.A. thesis on it—and she captured the character of Faye in a way that was uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2019 10:25 PM

I know she always bucked the horror icon title, but she really was incredible in Trilogy of Terror. She was one of those true character actors that disappeared into roles, and in Trilogy of Terror we got to see her do it three times in one movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2019 10:29 PM

She had a strange haircut in Henry Jaglom's Can She Bake a Cherry Pie? and did a cameo for him in the generally unwatchable Hollywood Dreams, where she has a funny scene with Melissa Leo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2019 11:05 PM

I always hoped that Connie White in Nashville was just Rayette from Five Easy Pieces who had gone on to success with her singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2019 11:24 PM

Love her as Rayette. She had a lot of heart and a lot of hair! Her look was so specifically late 60’s. DL should have a thread about 5 Ez pieces, so much about class and culture it is. The scenes at the old family home were so bizarrely WASPy eccentric yet oppressed.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 3:52 AM

She was a little nonplussed when she found out that a band had named themselves after her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 4:48 AM

R13 where did you hear she did not get on with Cher?

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 4:57 AM

This interview definitely highlights her eccentricity. I think she was possibly playing it up more for the camera, but maybe not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 5:36 AM

I loved her in “The Strange Possession of Mrs. Oliver.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2019 5:41 AM

R21 In "Robert Altman: The Oral Biography", Cher says, "Sandy and I were really close friends. Karen and I never got along." (page 378)

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2019 5:46 AM

R24 It just goes to show what an illusion Hollywood is because if you google pics today them together, they look like good friends.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2019 5:48 AM

I often hear people comment on how homely she was, but I've always regarded her as having had a strange beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2019 5:57 AM

Here is a photo of Karen with Sandy, Cher, and Robert Altman. Cher looks like the only person excessively happy to be there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 6:00 AM

Sandy looks pretty there.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2019 6:02 AM

Cher's friendship with Sandy didn't stop her from claiming she had the lead role in the film and deserved the Oscar nomination, when it is hoped that Sandy would get one.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 6:02 AM

Karen in Jimmy Dean. Pauline Kael wrote that Karen did her best screen work to date in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 6:04 AM

I thought she was exquisite in The Great Gatsby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 6:05 AM

Did she ever play a 'normal' character, like a suburban mom or a district attorney or something?

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 6:13 AM

"The stewardess is flying the plane!!!"

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 1:42 PM

She was attractive R26, the problem was that she appeared to have one eye in the center of her forehead...

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2019 1:58 PM

An incredible, iconic actress. So iconic there was an incredible band named after her, The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2019 2:20 PM

She is so articulate and intelligent and funny in her late career interviews. Saw her at The Castro when they showed Jimmy Dean about 8 years ago. Even on her deathbed, she gave an interview with a friend which is sad but made me think she would be a great friend.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2019 2:26 PM

She had terrible teeth.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2019 7:29 PM

Another great interview shortly before she was diagnosed with cancer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2019 9:27 PM

She had the best role in Jimmy Dean and gave a great performance. The other characters seemed like exhausted cliches pirated from Tennessee Williams and William Inge to me.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2019 9:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!