Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grade inflation

David Hogg couldn't get into college with a 3.7 GPA.

So what are GPA scores like nowadays? In my high school the valedictorian didn't even have a 3.7. So everyone else was lower than that. (one kid went to Harvard and some others got into Ivy leagues with I'm guessing 3.5 GPAs.

I had like a 2.8 or so and got into everyplace except the one Ivy I applied to. (this was the late 80s)

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2019 10:12 AM

OP=Freeper Cunt Fuck

[quote]David Hogg couldn't get into college with a 3.7 GPA.

Hogg had been accepted to several universities including the University of California, Irvine, but decided to take a year off before starting college to work on the 2018 mid-term elections.[21][22] In December 2018, he announced that he had been accepted by Harvard University and planned to start courses there in fall 2019.[12][23] Hogg reportedly had a 1270 SAT score and 4.2 weighted GPA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 1:54 AM

r1 got triggered

Why would I lie and make his GPA lower? This only makes my question more pertinent. 4.2 and he got turned down by at least UCLA and I think some others. I should have said he couldn't get into a school he wanted to go to.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 1:58 AM

Nonsense. Hogg is at Harvard. Go home with your nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 2:02 AM

It’s hard for people to get into UCLA from outside California.

A big disadvantage he had is he was coming from a wealthy area. That school had tons of competition and colleges don’t accept many from the same high school.

He would have had a much better chance if he was from Arkansas. Colleges like to accept students from as many states as possible

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2019 2:02 AM

R3, Hogg got into Harvard because he became famous, not because of his GPA

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2019 2:03 AM

[quote]Why would I lie and make his GPA lower?

Why use David Hogg as your example, Freeper Cunt Fuck?

I'm not triggered, I'm accurate.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2019 2:04 AM

And? There he is, and there he’ll stay. Might as well whine about something else you suck at.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 2:04 AM

I got into a top university with maybe a 3.7, but it might have been a fluke. GPAs weren't weighted. I had done better towards the end of high school, and I was academically well-rounded. I was also a complete nerd, which probably appealed to my specific university a lot. Classmates with better grades than I had were rejected or waitlisted.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2019 2:05 AM

r6 uses the word cunt. Pretty much all we need to know about him. NEXT.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2019 2:06 AM

r3 He got in to Harvard after a year off. The first year he applied he applied to UCLA and a bunch of other CA schools and got turned down. Even more shocking with a 4.2 GPA. Who gets into UCLA if a 4.2 student can't?

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2019 2:08 AM

[quote]Hogg reportedly had a 1270 SAT score and 4.2 weighted GPA

He also has a severe case of Resting Bitch Face.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2019 2:08 AM

R9=cunt

NEXT

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2019 2:10 AM

Hogg got into college OP, you trog. He wanted to go to a state university in California but didn't get accepted. He got accepted into Harvard, a college which routinely admits C and D legacy students if their families donate enough money.

Has anyone here who wasn't a legacy gone to Harvard? I have always wondered if non-rich legacies get much of there tuition paid for by Harvard grants and things. In other words, do the dumbass legacies and bribers get to go to Harvard because their families basically pay the tuition of the students who got in through academics?

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2019 2:11 AM

You poor thing . You’ve been badly wounded by someone else’s success, haven’t you? The world isn’t fair. Let’s see. Could it possibly be that ... he was admitted after demonstrating significant leadership in the wake of a horrific mass shooting at his school. Despite his underwhelming academic record, his outstanding skills showed he had a great deal to offer?

That’s the problem when spoiled children think only one factor matters and that everything should be skewed for the factor they want to swing their way. That’s life. It won’t work your way. You’re not getting the school you want, the job you want, the boy/girl you want - on *your terms*

Suck it up, buttercup. Put on your big girl panties. Other people win. This is how to grow up. Deal with shit like not getting your way.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2019 2:12 AM

A 1270 SAT score is middling, if good enough for the average state school. Typically 700+ in each section (=1400+ total with the new format) is seen as competitive for top schools.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote]Could it possibly be that ... he was admitted after demonstrating significant leadership in the wake of a horrific mass shooting at his school. Despite his underwhelming academic record, his outstanding skills showed he had a great deal to offer?

He got in because he’s high-profile and will bring a lot of publicity to the school. It’s the same reason Harvard admits a lot of mediocre celebrities and children of celebs.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2019 2:15 AM

Kids can take AP (Advanced Placement) courses for college credit while in high school, and can (and do) take "Dual Enrollment" courses held at community colleges for which they receive college credit while still in high school.

These credits are added into their GPAs and that's what makes the GPAs go above 4.0.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2019 2:20 AM

" It’s the same reason Harvard admits a lot of mediocre celebrities and children of celebs."

Unlike Wharton.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2019 2:46 AM

Honors/AP students get their grades bumped up a letter grade so the highest possible GPA is no longer 4.0 but 4.5 or 4.6 or something. So even lazy bad students want to take honors courses because they know their grades will magically convert to one letter grade higher. I was a college professor before I moved to prep school and I was SHOCKED that it's this way now. It's BULLSHIT. I'd bet good money Admissions does not look at GPA so much as SAT/AP scores, which are not padded.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2019 2:50 AM

[quote][R6] uses the word cunt. Pretty much all we need to know about him. NEXT.

And also the word "freeper." But that R9 ignored. Cunt. NEXT.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2019 2:51 AM

Great post, r14. You are 100% right.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2019 2:55 AM

I got into Harvard. Fucked a sophomore in his dorm then left. I dropped out of HS but I have a 10-inch dick and a Camaro.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2019 3:03 AM

[quote] R5: [R3], Hogg got into Harvard because he became famous, not because of his GPA.

He was admitted to Harvard after he became famous, due to his activism. It’s not like he’s a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2019 3:06 AM

I had SAT scores of 640 English and 640 science. I think it was science. I know I definitely took trig. That was a score beating 98% or 99% of other students. I tested well.

I went to a state college for an inflation adjusted $12,000 per year in 1978. This covered room and board, and classes.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2019 3:13 AM

[quote] I definitely took trig

r24=probably not Beth

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote]Honors/AP students get their grades bumped up a letter grade so the highest possible GPA is no longer 4.0 but 4.5 or 4.6 or something.

That's pretty similar to the way things were when I was in school although it was kind of tricky.

Our school had three different "course levels." Normal kids went into "mainstream" (Highest 4.0), smarter kids went into "honors" (Highest 4.5) and then the smartest went into "Advanced" (Highest 5.0.) AP was treated separately and there were also three levels to that: AP, AP Honors and AP Advanced. However, the school had to rank all the kids together for practical reasons and just treated the "weighted" grade as a bonus.

So my 3.7 was "actually" an Advanced 4.7 with AP classes and colleges got both grades with a general explanation of the scale used and the kind of coursework we did. My ranking was like 30 something unweighted but 8 out of somewhere around 300 weighted? The college got an explanation of that and both numbers.

[quote]So even lazy bad students want to take honors courses because they know their grades will magically convert to one letter grade higher.

I'm not sure what was going on at the school you were at but "lazy bad students" couldn't get into honors curriculum at my school and they probably wouldn't have wanted to when they could have sat in mainstream and did nothing. There were probably about 40 of them out of 300-ish senior year.

The Advanced curriculum required an IQ test with an IQ minimum of 130 to get in and they made you see a therapist once a quarter to make sure you weren't snapping. There were 300 kids in my graduating class and 18 of us were in that program. I got into every single college I applied to. When I went and didn't have 6 hours of homework a night it was a breath of fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2019 4:02 AM

R13 - there are 100 rich schools that have so much money they provide all the financial aid necessary to any admits who needs help. The admissions office doesn't look at the ability to pay. They do, however, look at legacy and they also receive a list of students from the Presidents office of VIP kids they are encouraged or ordered to admit.

This is called "need blind admissions"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2019 10:08 AM

Your school might have had rigorous selection policies for honors courses but that is not the norm. There is a lot of parental pressure to put kids in advanced classes who don't belong there and it's very hard for schools to resist it. It's not just high school. The mediocrity of "honors" students is the same at the undergraduate level where kids who feel in their hearts they are honors get tracked into the honors classes they want. Universities push these programs as selling points. This continues in non-elite graduate programs, especially masters programs, which are moneymakers for universities. If anything I was even more unimpressed with honors students at the university level than high school. The best students I ever had were prison inmates. They worked hard, could read and wanted to read, and they had interesting things to say.

As for Hogg, his leadership skills certainly earned him a place in a top university, regardless of GPA/test scores.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2019 10:10 AM

Mandatory IQ tests? Wow. Did you go to Hans F. K. Günther Gymnasium?

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2019 10:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!