Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg will win it all

Grab your tissues ready for he touches us with his incredibly moving and iconic speeches on DNC convention and as the the POTUS. If the convention were in California, the tears would assuage the droughts.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2019 7:41 PM

I see exactly what you're doing, and it's not going to work.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 10:58 PM

You have a delightfully approximate knowledge of English.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 10:59 PM

seek psychiatric help you delusional queen

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 11:05 PM

[quote]"assuage the droughts."

Frankly, I'll vote for anyone who commits to improving our educational system if there are people who think that one can "assuage" a drought.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 11:18 PM

You're being baited.

I like Pete and glad he stuck his neck out. I don't like the "gee, he seems so normal" he gets from the flyover crowd though.

They'll never vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 11:19 PM

'assuage the droughts' is unconventional, and may be technically wrong ('assuage my doubts' would be more standard), but I rather like it

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 11:42 PM

The DNC doesn’t want him. It’s gonna be either Kamala or Biden. I think Biden’s going to dig himself into a hole before then so Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 11:47 PM

No. Sanders-Warren or Warren-Sanders in a "co-presidency"

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2019 12:10 AM

Pete plays a long game. He's smarter than the rest.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2019 2:51 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2019 10:19 PM

You crazed Mayor Pete fans are making it increasingly unlikely i would ever vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 4:10 AM

The convention is in Milwaukee, so the drafts will assuage the tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 4:15 AM

R11, do you typically vote based off of anonymous comments on DL?

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2019 4:16 AM

Mayor Pete is the dark horse - he just may gallop to the winning spot!

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2019 4:17 AM

What does Michael Moore think of fellow Midwestern Pete

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 4:19 AM

R15 Michael Moore is too busy trying to get Michelle Obama to run for President, saying that she is the only hope - and she says that there is 0% that she is running. Moore is not realistic.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 4:26 AM

And Michelle Obama (if she's anything like her husband) wouldn't govern as a far-leftie, so I'm not sure why he's so obsessed. I would love her to run, but I think she wants a life now.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2019 4:29 AM

Pete is awesome. He won't get the nomination this time around but his future is bright.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 4:30 AM

America will not put up with CHASTIN!

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 4:30 AM

A person like Pete who doesn’t even have a small amount of support from African-Americans should not be President. He’s the whitest of white privilege in the race and AAs see that pretty clearly.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 4:57 AM

Really, r20? There are about 100 straight, white men who are running, some rich as fuck (including Beto, the trophy husband), and the "whitest of white privilege" to you is the 1 gay man. Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 5:07 AM

Pete is the most interesting candidate.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 5:09 AM

I'm flooding the DNC with emails demanding that Marianne Williamson be allowed to smoke clove cigarettes on the debate stage from now on.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2019 5:09 AM

LOVE Pete and Kamala. And I wish that they could run as a ticket one way or the other. If wishes were fishes..

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2019 5:19 AM

Why did Pete blow off Jim Clayburns Fish Fry? You'd think a campaign gasping for black support would have made the effort. I'm sure he has a good reason, but it seems odd to see him skip a chance to meet with black voters. All of the other big names were willing to kiss the ring in the faint hope of an endorsement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2019 5:20 AM

r25 he was with his community because of the shooting that was hugely publicized

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2019 5:23 AM

Thank you r25! I know, I should have googled it, you're very kind to remind me.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 5:39 AM

Pete is too passive and introverted to ever make it in Washington. He's sweet, but he's just not POTUS material.

I was just reading an interview in the April New York Magazine where he said at one point- if there was a pill you could take, or some way to cut the gay out of you- he'd have taken advantage of that. That is sad; I think he needs to go away and grow up.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2019 6:38 AM

Many of us would do the same I'm sure r28. He is honest

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 6:41 AM

R28, Obama is introverted, and well, some might argue passive -- I would.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 12:17 PM

I like Mayor Pete.

I hate many of his fans.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote] You'd think a campaign gasping for black support would have made the effort.

He tried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 12:25 PM

He made and keep making a lot of effort with black voters. I think it's out of his control and mainly revolves around his sexuality and the fact that he's more reserved (which doesn't seem to appeal to everyone). R28 is a troll whose main goal is to bash Pete and prop up his fave, R29. No need to convince it. He knows well and good that Pete said he felt that way when he was a kid and is thankful that no such magic pill exists now.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 4:01 PM

Quinnipiac poll shows Pete beating 49:40 Trump. Others do too but I'm interested in Mayor Pete's run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2019 6:27 PM

If you really think that Pete could beat Trump in 2020 then be my guest.

Reality awaits the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2019 6:35 PM

If you say so, r35 but yours is just another opinion among millions.

That said, my interest is less about opining who will win and more about how an unknown young gay man from the boonies is seeing a meteoric campaign.

by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2019 6:47 PM

Standard White Centrist Dude, Gay Version. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2019 6:53 PM

You obviously haven't been paying attention lately, r36. He is losing support already. Americans see through his fake ass.

by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2019 6:56 PM

I'm paying attention to the latest Quinnipiac poll. What about you r38?

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2019 7:01 PM

He better start doing something to stand out and better start doing more press.

by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2019 7:12 PM

He comes in around 5th in every poll. Very good for him personally, but not good enough to get the nomination next year. Unless he really sees his numbers rise during the primaries, I don't see him as a serious contender for the nomination.

However, he could still be a solid VP choice for some of the candidates.

by Anonymousreply 41August 28, 2019 7:45 PM

R41 Yes, since he seems stuck, I think his best bet would be to become the VP nominee. So he should probably start sucking up to Biden about now.

by Anonymousreply 42August 28, 2019 7:47 PM

Pete's smarter than Biden and Harris. Bernie is the usual Jewish smarts, nothing special but clever. Warren is brilliant but more a wonk and less a politician. None have the people touch that Pete has. He makes people feel good about themselves.

So, I wouldn't count him out.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2019 12:39 AM

Anyone but Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote] Bernie is the usual Jewish smarts, nothing special but clever.

You sound like a real delight. Now, tell me about them coloreds, old man.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2019 12:44 AM

Bernie bros can kiss it. If by chance he wins the nomination, I simply won’t vote.

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2019 2:12 AM

[quote] If by chance he wins the nomination, I simply won’t vote.

So, you would gladly hand over the election to Trump because you didn't get your way? Lol.

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2019 2:42 AM

Isn't that exactly what some Berniebros did in 2016 because Hillary was the nominee and not Bernie?

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2019 3:43 AM

Besides the ones that voted for Jill Stein I mean.

Or Trump. Still trying to figure that one out.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2019 3:44 AM

r43, If smarts counted for so much HIllary would be our president right now.

This country has elected a number of dunces to the presidency.

IOW, Intelligence won't elect Pete.

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2019 3:46 AM

[quote] If smarts counted for so much HIllary would be our president right now.

No, just no.

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2019 3:50 AM

Pete Buttigieg is dead on arrival. Only gays care about him and that's not going to win him any votes. In fact, he has actually lost support since announcing his run for the presidency. He should just drop out now. The sooner he fades into obscurity, the better. At this point, his campaign is nothing more than a vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2019 3:50 AM

The point is that he comes across as an arrogant know it all elitist. You know it, I know it, the American people know it.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2019 3:52 AM

[quote]So, you would gladly hand over the election to Trump because you didn't get your way? Lol.

I don’t see anything wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2019 4:04 AM

R50 you should read my post.

If only gays care about him r52 the whole of South Bend must be gay.

Like it or not, he's not going away. He will be a force in national politics for a very long time, especially after the oldies fade away. He's got outsider status and rockstar appeal in a hapless moribund party. That's why we're seeing this most unexpected campaign from outside the Beltway. It's the most exciting thing I've seen in American politics.

by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2019 4:27 AM

He comes across as very thoughtful and smart. He would make a great President.

by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2019 4:59 AM

[quote] If only gays care about him [R52] the whole of South Bend must be gay.

He was closeted when he was elected mayor. The more Americans learn about him, the less they trust him. He comes across as calculating and arrogant. He has a shady past as mayor and he has stolen ideas from other candidates and outright lied. He's an empty suit and a fraud. The truth is Americans are hoping he quietly goes away, in spite of people here thinking he's the second coming.

by Anonymousreply 57August 29, 2019 5:05 AM

Warren or Sanders will lose against Trump. The country doesn't want people to raise taxes and give away freebies.

by Anonymousreply 58August 29, 2019 5:16 AM

Biden will lose too. The weakest adversary once they come up against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2019 7:39 AM

Biden can’t even remember where he’s at half the time.

by Anonymousreply 60August 29, 2019 7:42 AM

R55 he came out before his second term as mayor and won the reelection with 80% majority.

Rest of your gutter scum is not worth responding to but I will say this. Compared to that piece of shit called Bernie, Pete is a God. Bernie will never win the nomination let alone the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 61August 29, 2019 9:15 AM

R61 You mean r57 not me! Thanks for pointing out his second term win. The rest of r57 post did seem over the top to me too. Why the hate? Maybe Pete scares the right-wing.

by Anonymousreply 62August 29, 2019 9:22 AM

Sorry, it was for r57

by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2019 11:08 AM

[quote]The point is that he comes across as an arrogant know it all elitist. You know it, I know it, the American people know it.

Thank you. Him being gay doesn’t make up for that.

by Anonymousreply 64August 29, 2019 11:57 AM

Pete is playing the long game.

by Anonymousreply 65August 29, 2019 12:06 PM

He doesn't come across as "elitist". How? By knowing more than one language, by being educated, by being moderately middle class ? He has less money than Beto, and no mansions unlike Bernie. The person posting that has an agenda, perhaps he's a Bernie or Harris troll, or, supporter.

by Anonymousreply 66August 29, 2019 12:15 PM

You needy Pete queens would have your little hearts broken to discover how quickly Mr. Rhodes Scholar would tire of your vacuousness. Two minutes at a fund raiser with most any of you guys and your little Hero would be running for the door.

by Anonymousreply 67August 29, 2019 12:18 PM

[quote]He doesn't come across as "elitist". How? By knowing more than one language, by being educated

By wearing it on his sleeve, like some people do with religion, which btw, he does also. If he ran instead on his political views and his record, people wouldn’t know or care about his elitist background. You don’t get the most votes by telling voters, “Vote for me, I’m so much smarter than and superior to you.”

by Anonymousreply 68August 29, 2019 12:25 PM

He doesn't tell people he's smarter than they. It's simply part of his biography which is out there and anyone can read. Having policy papers does not make him elitist. You are a troll and need to come.ip with some new trolling points.

In fact he's coming across as the opposite of Trump which makes him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 69August 29, 2019 12:32 PM

We know that he is not authentic by the way he dresses. It's calculated. He doggedly copies Jim Jordan who doggedly refuses to dress like an adult.

Buttigieg's constant dredging up of religion is calculated. Even his modesty seems calculated. I have no idea who this guy is at this point in his campaign because every breath he takes is calculated and presented with care. He is not coming from a position of strength in any of this.

Mostly, I think he's doing it to compensate for his youth. But it all underscores his inadequacies as a politician. Maybe he will be ready in 20 years. Maybe he have burned himself out by then.

by Anonymousreply 70August 29, 2019 12:38 PM

He does seem too young to take on such a large responsibility like the presidency so soon.

Let him bake in the oven for awhile longer, he's not ready yet.

by Anonymousreply 71August 29, 2019 12:42 PM

He's no more calculated than any other politician. Actually Trump seems least calculated because like a lot of really old people he's now lacking a filter. That does not make Trump more attractive. As for his religion, I think he's a sincere progressive Christian. I don't understand them but that doesn't mean I label it as fake or calculated.

by Anonymousreply 72August 29, 2019 12:47 PM

R72. "Sincere progressive Christian" sounds like an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 73August 29, 2019 12:51 PM

They exist. I'm not one. But you seem to dismiss any type of person you don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 74August 29, 2019 12:53 PM

Progressive Christians can and do exist; I know a few.

However with Pete it seems calculating (like a lot of things he does), like he does it to make up for being gay. It's like he's saying to more conservative voters, "see, I may like men, but I'm religious too, does that count?"

I don't know about Mayor Pete.

by Anonymousreply 75August 29, 2019 12:58 PM

Posts like this one (and the thousand others posted here every day) about Pete make me dislike him just because of how obnoxious his fanboys are.

by Anonymousreply 76August 29, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote] He's no more calculated than any other politician.

Your argument falls apart in the first sentence. He is more calculated. You just don't seem to be able to see it, or you are in denial. His campaign costume is painfully calculated. Adults wear jackets. They don't have to wear $4000 suits, but a suit is what an adult male wears to the office. Or on national television.

At a minimum, they wear slacks and a jacket. Buttigieg goes on national television in shirt sleeves. Why? Ask yourself why? A plain white shirt. Often with sleeves rolled up. As if he is at his desk working, when he is a thousand miles away from his desk.

It's just an empty public relations calculation and it makes him seem to be not very good at public relations. All the religions rhetoric is calculated to appeal to middle of the road voters who might not vote for a homo, but also just might. If he says "Jesus," or the equivalent, often enough, then maybe their trepidation will be assuaged.

He is gifted intellectually. Emotionally, he seems to be a pandering wreck. Whatever kept him the closet for 15 years or more seems certainly to be not fully resolved. He is not comfortable being out. And how could he be in just a few years? Parochial school scores another victim.

by Anonymousreply 77August 29, 2019 1:01 PM

He doesn't wear a suit, I can't vote for him! This is where your argument falls apart. You are probably trolling for another candidate and if I showed you photos of Booker, Beto, Bernie or Castro in rolled up shirt sleeves and Pete in a suit you would find something else equally ridiculous to criticize him for.

by Anonymousreply 78August 29, 2019 1:09 PM

There are tons of gay men like Pete out there. Go to any Episcopal church and you'll find them.

by Anonymousreply 79August 29, 2019 1:12 PM

Someone here, if they're, not trolling doesn't like the Pete type of gay. Fine, don't vote for him But don't expect most of us to find your psychological readings of him based on rolled up shirt sleeves to be anything but bizarre special pleadings.

by Anonymousreply 80August 29, 2019 1:17 PM

[quote] [R55] he came out before his second term as mayor and won the reelection with 80% majority

Well, yeah. He came out after he was elected. That's the point. And you realize getting elected as mayor of some town in Indiana is not on the same level as getting elected president, right? I mean Sanders and Warren are popular senators of their states too, you know. And yet, you seem to think they're pieces of shit while he's a god? Lol

by Anonymousreply 81August 29, 2019 1:36 PM

[quote] Maybe Pete scares the right-wing.

Oh yeah, the guy who decided to spend part of his life shooting up kids in Afghanistan is exactly the candidate who scares the right wing.

by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2019 1:51 PM

R80, most of the troll posts on this thread are by one deranged Pete hater. He has been on the Pete threads for months trashing him. At first I thought he was a Bernie Bro or Beto fan, but no, he's just obsessed with Pete. Put him on ignore and watch so many of these posts disappear.

by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2019 3:43 PM

R83 Yep, it’s really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2019 7:43 PM

Thanks R83 that explains a lot! What a weirdo. I wonder what his story is. These obsessives are scary.

by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2019 9:31 PM

Lots of people are Rhode Scholars; lots of people go to Ivy League schools; lots of people volunteer for the service - for different motivations, among them resume building. There are 305 mayors of cities in America with populations greater than South Bend. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2019 9:56 PM

r86, and how many Rhodes Scholars with military experience are there running for President?

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 87August 29, 2019 10:09 PM

The poster who said his attire is calculated is right. He’s running a multi-million dollar campaign — of course they’re going to consider small details like rolling up his sleeves. Also, men no longer wear suits as often to the office.

In any case, I think he’s going to finish 5th or possibly even 6th in delegates (if Beto does well in Texas), so none of this really matters.

by Anonymousreply 88August 30, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]He doesn't tell people he's smarter than they. It's simply part of his biography which is out there and anyone can read.

Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were smart too, but they deliberately emphasized instead their roots and their common man image. They became president instead of being stuck at 5% in the polls. You can’t win with just the Rachel Maddow type voter.

by Anonymousreply 89August 30, 2019 11:53 AM

Bottom line: he's too young and too short.

The shorter guy always loses; always.

by Anonymousreply 90August 30, 2019 12:33 PM

America is not liberal enough to accept a gay president.

by Anonymousreply 91August 30, 2019 12:45 PM

r90, Вы используете обычную американскую интуицию.

by Anonymousreply 92August 30, 2019 6:37 PM

r90 Gore was taller than W by one inch; Kerry was three inches taller than W.

by Anonymousreply 93August 30, 2019 11:08 PM

r93, well Gore really won that race, didn't he?

HIllary was definitely dwarfed next to Trump though.

by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2019 12:27 AM

R37 it’s good to have a centrist after an extreme like trump, to rebuild bridges, instead of swinging from one extreme to the other, getting nothing of value done for the bulk of the citizens.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2019 4:45 PM

R37 it’s good to have a centrist after an extreme like trump, to rebuild bridges, instead of swinging from one extreme to the other, getting nothing of value done for the bulk of the citizens.

by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2019 4:45 PM

Hi Boris!

by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2019 4:55 PM

R97 so lame and ignorant, you are pretending to understand and see through the workings of international secret services by resorting to buzzwords.

by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2019 4:59 PM

Hi Ivan!

by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2019 5:44 PM

The Economist/YouGov Poll

44. If the candidate listed below were to become the Democratic nominee, do you think they would beat or lose to Donald Trump in the 2020 Presidential election

Pete Buttigieg win 17% Lose 49% Don't Know 34%

Biden has the best numbers, 32% to win, 42% to lose, Don't know 27%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2019 6:04 PM

America best strap on a pair. Whoever the fuck is the nominee, he/she MUST win.

by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2019 6:37 PM

If not president, then I'd love to see Pete for Secretary of State. His intellect, calm demeanor, and grasp of multiple languages would be an incredible asset. The U.S. might even retrieve some of its lost dignity, the tragic result of the current idiot-in-chief and GOP nutbag administration.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2019 7:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!