Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Places you can’t return to

I went to my old office for a seminar (different building, same field). I don’t think I can ever do that again. Too many memories. Some bad. Some good, but too overwhelming. I got outta there and hope never to return.

I also went to retrieve some stuff I left in the basement of my old apartment once. It’s so funny how the energy of a place can change in such a short time. It just felt so foreign to me. I felt like I didn’t belong there, almost like I had never lived there. I work nearby, but feel repelled like magnets. I don’t even have any desire to walk down that street.

You?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2019 8:17 PM

I love the image you're chosen.

Do you like to read novels?

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 8:57 PM

sorry **you've chosen""

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 8:58 PM

and that's called "sad"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 9:04 PM

The Isle of Greece.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 9:07 PM

Yes, I do like novels r1.

Got any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 9:07 PM

Anyplace I used to work.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 9:08 PM

yes, read The Pumpkin Eater, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 9:09 PM

Who painted your pic, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 9:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 9:12 PM

Not sure r8. I googled “lonely person painting” on google images and it popped up.

You can order it on Amazon UK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote]The Isle of Greece.

There's no such thing as the "Isle of Greece." What a preposterous thing to say. Do you mean the Greek Islands, of which every island has a specific name, like Mykonos or Santorini?

That's like me saying The Isle of Hawaii, rather than Maui or Oahu.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 9:17 PM

I can’t go back there anymore...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 9:18 PM

I used to live in a bad neighborhood in NYC.

I pretended it was hip and gentrifying. It sucked.

Now that I’ve moved to a better location, I ain’t going back

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 9:19 PM

A place exists in time, not only in location. There is no location I have any issue returning to. Whatever it was to me is gone.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 9:19 PM

I can not return to my 20s...which were a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 9:21 PM

I can not return to my 20s...which were a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 9:21 PM

The shopping mall where I worked my first job for 2 years then got fired after a dispute with my manager. It stings because losing that job seemed to set off a series of extremely fucked up events in my life that caused irreversible damage . It was like a butterfly effect. One thing led to another and then to another...

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 9:22 PM

Good topic OP.

I refuse to go down the street that my ex lived on. He doesn’t even live there anymore but I refuse to go down that street or past his old apartment building. I never got any closure after the breakup because he basically abandoned me, so any memory that I associate with him still haunts me to this day for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 9:23 PM

[quote]I went to my old office for a seminar (different building, same field). I don’t think I can ever do that again. Too many memories. Some bad. Some good, but too overwhelming. I got outta there and hope never to return.

Mary!

Yes, Thomas Wolfe wrote a whole book on the subject.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 9:35 PM

Title, pray tell?^

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 9:55 PM

I cant go by the house my 1st true love and I bought in St. Pete Fl. It was a small 2 bedroom 1/12 bath block home and we paid $38,000 for it in 1986. We lived there very happily until he died in a car accident in 1994 .I lived there for about another year ,holed up inside,never answering the door or reading the mail and drinking myself insensible.Until the day the sheriff tacked a repo notice on the door. I had 72 hours to pack up our lives. It was such a horrendous time in my life Ive blocked most of it out. About 10 years after that I decided when I was down there visiting friends to go see it,and even turning on the street caused me to burst into hysterical sobs.I never actually made it by our house. A few years ago I looked it up on google street view and cried again.25 years and several lovers later, I guess Ill never face the emotions of that time.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 9:56 PM

*hugs R21*

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 10:06 PM

New Orleans. I went there with my first partner and didn't enjoy any of it. We went to a few bars and mostly stood around. Neither of us liked the food and it was too hot in the daytime.

Now, this is how fate sometimes works. My next partner was from New Orleans and we went to visit his family one time and he got drunk every night. We returned home and he kept drinking. Needless to say our relationship ended badly. Given this, I'll not be returning to New Orleans.

Second on my list is Las Vegas. Was there (my one and only time ) when Princess Diana died. Also I don't like gambling.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 10:17 PM

[quote]I also went to retrieve some stuff I left in the basement of my old apartment once. It’s so funny how the energy of a place can change in such a short time. It just felt so foreign to me.

I had a similar feeling after retiring and moving from a house to an apartment. After living in that house for 16 years, I expected to be awash in sentimentality when I went back to clean the place a few days after moving out.

Nope. It was just a bunch of rooms with seemingly infinite surfaces to wash. I do miss the neighbourhood, though.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote] There's no such thing as the "Isle of Greece." What a preposterous thing to say. Do you mean the Greek Islands, of which every island has a specific name, like Mykonos or Santorini? That's like me saying The Isle of Hawaii, rather than Maui or Oahu.

R11, turn in your gay card and DL subscription. That is a reference to the classic “I've Never Been To Me”. See and commit to heart the pertinent lyrics below. Then bear witness to the video linked below in all its cheesiness. Then repent for your ignorance and blasphemy.

Oh I've been to Nice and the isle of Greece

While I sipped champagne on a yacht

I moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things

That a woman ain't s'posed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]Mary!...Yes, Thomas Wolfe wrote a whole book on the subject.

[quote]Title, pray tell?^

Ever wonder where the phrase "You can't go home again" comes from - or at least who popularized it, r20?

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 11:12 PM

When I was unemployed last year one of the jobs I was seeking would have been in the same building I used to work in 20 something years ago. It didn't work out but I must admit I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of being back in that building. There were good memories but also plenty of bad ones, too.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 11:16 PM

Innocence.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 11:24 PM

I went into an office building yesterday, and I’m sure I was in that building at least once before, maybe 20 years ago, but don’t remember when or why.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 11:25 PM

r11 is a dumb cunt.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 11:33 PM

Manderley

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2019 11:34 PM

I guess where I grew up. And high school, naturally. But it's not places so much as times. I never look back and don't recall any moment from the past with anything remotely resembling nostalgia. I have fond memories of moments, weeks in a place with people I liked, but they're isolated and I don't wish to relive them. I wish I could go back and change some things I regret, or assert myself in ways I didn't know to do, but the past is dead.And I don't live to dream of the future, either. I guess I'm better about living in the immediate moment.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 11:38 PM

I can’t go back to my childhood house. The neighborhood has gone downhill and gotten rough. It makes me sad to see it in that shape.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 11:38 PM

Not a place per se but I’m banned on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2019 11:38 PM

How does one get banned from Grindr?

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 11:39 PM

You can’t step into the same river twice.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2019 12:26 AM

r35 Fake pics, underage, etc ..

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2019 1:26 AM

This thread reminds me of these lyrics from the counting crows song Untitled " Felt the wind's direction beginning to Change/clouds so softly full of rain/then summer fell and the winter sprang/ Now it's all a feeling I can't get back again"

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2019 4:07 AM

The house I grew up in. My parents owned it for 44 years and now they're both gone.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2019 4:19 AM

I don't like to revisit most places where I worked or lived. I don't find nostalgia to be a great feeling - all the memories and events wash over you and for what?

I don't actively avoid it - but I certainly do not run to it either.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2019 4:29 AM

Lately, I've been tempted to drive out to the town my grandparents used to live. in They've been dead for 15ish years, so who knows what the house looks like. I know going there will be a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2019 4:47 AM

R41, I grew up in rural Kansas. I moved away about 15 years ago, before I got stuck there for life. I have a nostalgia for my childhood, which I spent walking across the fields and meadows as far as my legs would carry me. We lived out in the country, my grandpa lived 'next door' and my crazy great-aunt lived just down the road from him.

Sometimes I spend an hour on Google Street View going up and down the dirt roads I remember, tracing the school bus route, tracing our Sunday drives, tracing the way to the fantastic old park in the little town nearby.

It's a strange feeling. I can't say I recommend it to everyone, but it's an option.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2019 5:02 AM

R36... "For it is not the same River and you are not the same man." Absolutely amazing how true that quote is thousands of years later.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2019 5:10 AM

R42 I’ve also spent time on Google street view “driving” around my hometown in Massachusetts. I live far away now, and there’s no family left there anymore, not to mention how expensive it would be to live there, but to be able to explore the streets I rode around on my bike as a kid is really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2019 5:39 AM

For me that place is San Francisco. I spent twenty years there and it was often magical. I’d never had a lot of money but there was always an adventure, a surprise waiting around the corner. I loved to wander the city aimlessly for hours on end and I met the most amazing people. But during my last few years there, I’d felt a black cloud moving in. The joy I’d felt in my early years there was nowhere to be found. I realize that’s down to me as much as to any concrete changes in life there. But there had been such a playfulness about San Francisco when I first arrived there, something that seemed to set it apart from anywhere else I’d been. I don’t know if I’m making any sense.

It’s been just about twenty years since I left. I did return once or twice not long after I left but I felt empty, disconnected. Also like I was trying to relive an experience that was nothing more than a memory.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2019 7:57 AM

[quote]Places you can’t return to

anywhere

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2019 8:10 AM

My friend got banned from the Henny Penny connivence store.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2019 8:06 PM

[quote] That's like me saying The Isle of Hawaii, rather than Maui or Oahu.

Not a good analogy as there is an Isle of Hawaii. Of the hundreds of islands that make up the state the 8 main islands are Niihau, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lānai, Kahoolawe, Maui, and Hawaii

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2019 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!