Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Living in Provincetown year round: what is it like?

One if you queens must do it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 9:43 PM

I’m here right now! But I don’t live here all year. The idea of a New England winter in a town that mostly shuts down in the off season does not sound appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 7:26 PM

The idea of an empty New England town in the winter has always fascinated me, but I also love driving around on Christmas Day with no traffic and everything closed.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 7:30 PM

I’ve never done the year round thing. But many friends have. All left due to the lack of decent, affordable year round housing.

There used to be a small but vibrant community up there. But the whole region started to cater only to wealthy 2nd home owners. Because of this 95% of the businesses close in the winter months. The high school closed too.

Anyway, I highly recommend that you visit in the winter instead. It is indeed eerily beautiful and crazy atmospheric.

Don’t move there. Unless you have a lot of money and no need for human connection.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 7:34 PM

Well, let’s just say, it’s not just the great white sharks 🦈 that find themselves impaled up here!

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 7:49 PM

From what I hear, it's a colossal bore in the winter.

Almost like a ghost town.

The locals do gather at one or two open bars and restaurants but most just stay at home all winter

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 8:27 PM

I know people who own a home in Ptown. They stay all summer, of course. They only return for holidays like Thanksgiving and Xmas when they bring their extended families and friends.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 8:28 PM

I would love to live up there year-round. A fun summer and then a long quiet winter to recharge sounds like heaven to me. Alas, I'm too poor to even visit for more than one week every few years.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 9:09 PM

On a lark, I went to Ptown in November. Arrived on a Wednesday, departed the following Monday.

On weeknights, Commercial Street was so empty you could shoot off a cannon and not hit anyone. Friday night was a little better, and Saturday night was relatively lively. During the day on Saturday, there were a lot of people out shopping.

Given that, I can't imagine living there year round. The year round residents seem positively insufferable, as they all "artistes" (i.e. trust fund kids) of some sort or another.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 9:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!