Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you believe all these polls?

There seem to a flood of polls telling us how poorly Trump is doing. I’d wish for them to true but I can’t rest easily after 2016. Is this another tactic to keep Democrats from voting because it’s a “sure thing”?

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2019 12:18 AM

Would you rather have the polls lie and say that Trump is doing great?

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 4:19 PM

It's not a tactic; polls are always around at election time and just in general because there's demand for them. It's your decision whether you want to read into them or not. Best to just keep an eye out for quality pollsters in early primary states, and ignore the national polls. Especially at this early stage.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 4:19 PM

Even though polls are more or less pointless now, I love the fact that they have Donald squirming.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 4:23 PM

These polls are not reliable because people who are going to vote for Trump, are saying they are voting for Biden. This is to stop Bernie Sanders becoming the nominee. The Republicans did the same thing in 2016. Democrats should not let republicans decide who are democratic candidate for president is. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 4:34 PM

"These polls are not reliable because people who are going to vote for Trump, are saying they are voting for Biden. This is to stop Bernie Sanders becoming the nominee"

LOL, it's the other way around. Republicans WANT Bernie to be the nominee, because they know he's easier to beat. Last time they registered to vote as "independents" so they could vote for Bernie in Democratic primaries, because they thought he'd be easier for Trump to beat than Hillary

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 4:37 PM

General elections polls at this time are pretty meaningless OP. Quit obsessing over them either way.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 4:40 PM

Considering how odious Trump has performed, I don’t think the polls are all that bad for him. He’s still in the low 40’s. And his general election matchups look pretty good against everyone except Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, neither of whom are invincible. I’d feel pretty good if I were him... unless the economy turns to shit. Even then, we could have a very brief recession that’s over well before Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 4:47 PM

I have zero faith in the polls after how badly we got screwed last time. I’m assuming he will be re-elected. I’ve lost all faith in the American people - and democracy in general.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 7:01 PM

Agreed r8, it’s all bs and conjecture. Trump voters lie in these polls then go and do the opposite come Election Day. They lie, lie and lie.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 7:14 PM

R8 needs a good slap in the face.

Honestly, that attitude is so ignorant and infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 7:15 PM

The polls were pretty much right when it came to the popular vote. We did not get screwed by polling. As far as the D nominee..I'd even vote for Bernie over Trump.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 7:17 PM

The polls shouldn’t give a fuck about the popular vote. As we know, that’s not how the US elects presidents.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 7:18 PM

All I can do is vote. After feeling like a hostage for the last 3 years, I can’t mentally engage as much anymore. It was ruining my life. Need to remember I can’t control everything and need to accept what I can’t change. And the only thing I can change is how I vote - the Trumptards are beyond logic or reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 7:41 PM

There are a couple of million who will vote for him but never admit it, or show up at his clan rallies for fear of insults and retaliation.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 7:43 PM

R8 and R9 - Trump voters can lie all they want to pollsters, they are still quite sufficiently outnumbered. The issue continues to be mainly turnout related, especially in connection with younger generations and or newly registered individuals. This is why nominated a dreary status quo politician would be a disaster. A significant percentage of the population would shrug and stay home.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 7:50 PM

Ugh typos. This is why *nominating* a dreary status quo... and etc.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 7:51 PM

You do have to keep in mind how difficult it is not unseat a sitting president.

Also there are LEGIONS of old, angry white voters who will vote for Trump no matter what. They will come out of the woodwork. Even moderates will be fooled by the economy. Only by enticing (and growing) the democratic base can we hope to win this.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 7:55 PM

I’m curious R15. Given what a huge lead Biden has maintained, clearly there are people who are enthused about him. I think the problem is the short attention span, internet activist millennials who just don’t bother to vote. The olds in the swing states are perhaps the most important voters in the country. The hardcore woke hipsters in NY and CA are largely irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 7:56 PM

[quote]You do have to keep in mind how difficult it is not unseat a sitting president.

No sitting President is as hated as this one. This is different. Not to be complacent but he has ticked off people of color and now Jewish people this week alone.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 11:58 PM

If a person stays home because they don't like what the polls are then they are a dunce. They probably don't vote anyways. I at 62 years old have never missed voting for president or any election even in the cities/towns I have lived in. I vote in every election.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] have never missed voting for president

I vote every election, too, but I wish my vote for president actually counted! Wouldn't that be nice?

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2019 12:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!