Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Bombshell' (2019)

Starring Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, Margot Robbie, John Lithgow, Kate McKinnon, Connie Britton, Mark Duplass, Rob Delaney, Malcolm McDowell, Allison Janney. Directed by Jay Roach, written by Charles Randolph.

[quote]Based on the real scandal, [italic]Bombshell[/italic] is a revealing look inside the most powerful and controversial media empire of all time; Fox News, and the explosive story of the women who brought down the infamous man who created it.

In theaters in December.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2019 5:10 AM

Couple thoughts:

Jay Roach is such a boring, standard film director. His productions always look like TV movies, and at this point TV is becoming more sophisticated than his work.

Charlize looks incredible.

Nicole's wig work always looks off in everything she's in.

I like these actresses, so I'm in it for their performances.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 3:51 PM

How is this different from the TV mini-series that was aired earlier in the summer? Looks like they are covering the same territory.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 4:12 PM

Why?

Are Fox News vierwers going to pay to see this?

Aren't the rest of us sick of this shit?

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 4:22 PM

Nicole doesn't look piggish enough to be Gretchen Carlson.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 4:23 PM

r2 They're going to mine this like crazy because it's a more filmable MeToo material than, say, the Weinstein stuff. But there's enough room for both a TV and a movie version, for now.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 5:29 PM

I'm into it.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Is Kidman trying to pass as a 33-year-old in this film?

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 5:57 PM

R7 The CZJ School of Acting

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 5:59 PM

Naomi Watts was perfect as Gretchen Carlson on the Showtime series. Weird that her friend, Nicole, is playing the same part (with a terrible wig).

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 6:01 PM

Here's the thread about the Naomi Watts version, btw. Doesn't seem like many here saw it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 6:03 PM

Oh. So it's not....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 6:19 PM

Damn. Before I knew the premise I was really hoping Charlize and Margot were going to get in on in the elevator. Then I'd see it.

And yes r9, Naomi's "friend" Nicole...

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 6:23 PM

Charlize recently had a facelift too. But Nicole takes the cake. I swear her face changes in every darned movie or show. Maybe she’s like Mr. Potato Head, changing out facial parts on a weekly basis? That said, this looks like it could be good.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 6:27 PM

Does Nicole ever wear her real hair in movies these days? Her head with that wig looks so big compared to the other two, and it's set so high as well. I agree with r1 that Charlize looks effortlessly spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 6:35 PM

I didn't recognize Charlize. Looks just like Megyn Kelly here.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 6:37 PM

Most boring trailer on the face of the Earth. Looks like a desperate Housewives teaser circa 2005. The only thing missing is the voiceover by some suicided Fox news bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote] I didn't recognize Charlize. Looks just like Megyn Kelly here.

Omg, I was thinking of who she reminds me of now (post-facelift) - and you’re right, she looks like Megyn freakin’ Kelly now!

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 6:46 PM

She's playing Megyn freakin' Kelly in the film.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Charlize is actually trending on Twitter right now because she looks so much like Megyn.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 6:51 PM

R18, so why do Robbie and Kidman still look like Robbie and Kidman?

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 6:56 PM

Only in Hollywood would they cast 2 Australians (Kidman, Robbie), and a South African (Theron) to play American-born women.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 7:00 PM

They're white people playing white people, who cares. Dialect coaches do the rest.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 7:01 PM

Charlize Theron looks like herself in Megyn Kelly drag.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 7:01 PM

I thought the Showtime docuseries was just okay. I felt they made Ailes look too much like a genius. This might be more nuanced? Looking forward to it...

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 7:16 PM

They used prosthetics on Charlize

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 7:21 PM

I don't want to see this because in this social climate they will probably be portrayed as victims . If you want to see the real victims of right wing policy look at the poor and working class.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 8:47 PM

will we get to see their pussies getting grabbed

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 8:54 PM

[QUOTE]In theaters in December.

I’m not going to the movie theater for this.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 9:54 PM

That trailer’s music is irritating and awful.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 10:32 PM

I don' t want to see fictional portrayals of all these awful, awful people.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2019 3:48 AM

R29 I thought I was the only one who found the music annoying.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2019 10:15 AM

It creeps me out how much Charlize looks like Megyn in this.

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2019 11:06 AM

Film is 100% dead, it's just commercials for democrat identity politics ideology. These people are insane. Not only has Hollywood lost the ability to make films they apparently don't know how to style wigs properly. Nicole Kidman has 30 years of godawful wigs. She is the most consistent but every single film out there today features awful wigs. The movie VICE won an Oscar for styling and it features the worst hair of all time. But everyone in the media is too lobotomized to even notice. I'll gladly pass on this.

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2019 11:35 AM

[Quote]Film is 100% dead, it's just commercials for democrat identity politics ideology

I'm sure you would have been protesting "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". Right wingers have been complaining about this the entire history of the industry.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2019 12:56 PM

Robbie looks stunning

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2019 1:04 PM

Jay Roach like Adam McKay is a hack director. I'll pass on this mess.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2019 1:09 PM

I absolutely love all three of these actresses, I think they are some of the finest working today - I just wish they were all together in a film I actually wanted to see. I have absolutely no interest in seeing this at all, and I suspect neither will most audiences outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2019 1:21 PM

[quote]They're white people playing white people, who cares. Dialect coaches do the rest.

Hopefully, Nicole's Aussie accent didn't slip out too much like it did on BLL season 2.

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2019 4:01 PM

Don't be surprised if Charlize dons prosthetics and ugly makeup to play Kellyanne Conway in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2019 2:57 PM

Trailer.

Wait, McKinnon is in this? I didn't know she could act outside comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2019 6:49 PM

Fucking hell, Lithgow's fatsuit looks even better than in that Churchill movie he did. Crazy how fast the fatsuit technology is advancing.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2019 6:53 PM

The tone of the trailer is comedy r40.

I think this movie plays as a black comedy, similar to Vice.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2019 7:01 PM

Thanks, I wrote that when I saw the trailer on mute. I definitely see the black comedy tone now.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2019 7:02 PM

That CGI with Doocy and Kilmeade is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2019 7:03 PM

If you've ever been in a conference room, restroom or elevator during a company meltdown, you know exactly how those three were feeling in the trailer. That scene is pure gold.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2019 7:07 PM

I never watch Fox; is that how Gretchen Carlson sounded when she talked? Like a little girl?

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2019 7:08 PM

Who is Margot Robbie supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2019 7:10 PM

Margot Robbie's character is not a real life person r47.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2019 7:13 PM

So a composite character of all those harassed reporters/interns?

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote]Wait, McKinnon is in this? I didn't know she could act outside comedy.

McKinnon seems to be branching out to drama. She's going to play that weirdo con woman Elizabeth Holmes in a Hulu show.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2019 10:54 PM

r50 Omg, you're right, I recall being taken aback when I read that article.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2019 10:58 PM

Oooh looks good!!!

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2019 2:10 AM

Naomi Watts was excellent as Gretchen Carlson in Loudest Voice in the Room in Showtime. Poor Nicole seems to be an afterthought as GC in Bombshell.

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2019 8:43 PM

I went to a screening this week and R1 is spot on. It looks like a Ryan Murphy TV project and probably should have been. Charlize is amazing and Margot Robbie is very good but the rest of the cast is very TV level and on the whole the movie feels very lightweight. There’s also so much going on if you don’t already know the story and players it would be easy to get lost. A limited series could have developed the story and characters better.

Kidman isn’t in it as much as you’d expect from the trailer - very much a supporting role and not her best work. Her prosthetics and wig are distracting. In closeups she looks a bit like Rocky Dennis. Lithgow is great and his prosthetics are very convincing. McKinnon essentially plays herself and the part could easily have been cut. Alanna Ubach is hilarious as Jeanine Pirro and the sister from Mad About You plays a very unattractive Greta Van Sustern. Richard Kind isn’t a very good Rudy Giuliani but the impersonation gets a laugh.

Worth a watch for Charlize when it hits cable or Netflix, which shouldn’t be long.

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2019 9:34 PM

So they have 2 Australians and a South African playing 3 American women, and an Australian played her in the Showtime series.

Wasn't there a single american actress even considered? Reese? Julia? maybe bring Bridget Fonda out of retirement. I just found the casting choices quite interesting.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2019 5:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!