Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite ingredients for an omelette?

I'm tired of the green onions, mushrooms, and (occasional) cheese that I usually use. What are your favorite ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2019 11:45 PM

Fresh spinach.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 3:06 PM

Add some leftover pasta. Something like rotelle or gemelli are perfect. It can transform your omelet.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 3:09 PM

Bacon, mushroom, gruyere, fresh thyme

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 3:11 PM

salsa, onions, feta cheese

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 3:11 PM

Last week I grilled vegetable kabobs (mushroom, red onion, zuccini, tomato) ...I had one leftover, which I chopped up for an omelette the next morning...it was outstanding, beautiful smokey flavor.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 3:12 PM

Twink semen.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 3:18 PM

I wondered how quickly this would go south, R6. LOL

Still a serious questions though.... Omelette suggestions are welcome :)

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 3:20 PM

Jizz - for a cumlette

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 3:21 PM

This isn't an authentic Mexican omelette, but I had something at a diner in NY many years ago - and it was named as such. It was just filled with green and red bell pepper strips and onions, that were cooked in some sort of spicy tomato sauce. When I'm making it for myself, I just use a bag of frozen red & green peppers and onions, and cook them in some El Pato brand sauce (the yellow can - WalMart carries it). Might be good to throw some home fries in there as well.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 3:24 PM

Shiitake mushrooms. the end.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 3:35 PM

Shallots, tomato, and cheddar

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 3:39 PM

OP poster is just begging for Danny Thomas jokes. I will not oblige.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 3:39 PM

I chop kale stalks and steam the leaves, then throw them in.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 3:40 PM

The LEO, Lox, eggs, onion. Capers are a nice addition too.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 3:41 PM

Rolled omelette, filling: bacon, green onion & potato cooked in the bacon fat, cheddar cheese

I also made one with spinach, ham, green onion and cheddar cheese yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 3:46 PM

I gave up on omelettes years ago. I just make scrambled eggs, which I actually like more. My favorite ingredients are cheddar-dill-sour cream, plus tomatoes (if they're good); mushrooms and/or spinach with Gruyere or Swiss.

I shake my eggs rather than breaking them with a fork. They get more mixed that way. I use old Talenti containers: eggs, salt, cream. Shake vigorously.

I usually have bacon and/or roasted potatoes as a side.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 3:47 PM

Gently squeezed tomatoes (to get rid of the juices), goat cheese, and caramelized onions.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 3:50 PM

[quote] caramelized onions.

The [italic]only[/italic] way to add onions to an omelette.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 3:51 PM

R16 Are you the Omlette Bond, shaken not stirred?

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 3:56 PM

Cheese, please

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 3:59 PM

R19 He ought to be the Bond Scramble really.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 4:01 PM

Indeed, r19.

Even indeeder, r21.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 4:06 PM

Gruyère, duck & kale from last brunch - it was delightful.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 4:10 PM

Kale: way to ruin a couple of good eggs (to say nothing of the poor cheese).

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 4:12 PM

"Italian greens" (sauteed escarole in olive oil & garlic, with a pinch of red pepper flakes) & some crumbled Gorgonzola.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 4:16 PM

Omelettes are like pizza : AVOID WATERY VEGETABLES.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 4:20 PM

R25 Makes me think some Broccoli Rabe would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 4:21 PM

grilled vegetables. I particularly like asparagus and mushrooms. Try the Italian method in a small cast iron pan. Start on stove and move to broiler (oven) to finish. Then, there is the sauce. You can do: sour cream, hot sauce or hollandaise. Also, I enjoy having a green salad with a vinaigrette for a simple dinner.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 4:43 PM

[QUOTE]Try the Italian method in a small cast iron pan. Start on stove and move to broiler (oven) to finish.

So Italian, we even have a name for it, [italic]la frittata[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 4:47 PM

Soy sauce or oyster sauce with ground shrimp or ground pork.

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 4:48 PM

With crab meat and eat with Sriracha sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2019 4:50 PM

Sharp cheddar cheese; I'm a purist. But I like Gruyere, too.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 4:52 PM

Artichoke hearts (sliced thin-ish)? Agree with the advice to avoid vegetables that exude water.

Sun-dried tomatoes (the soft kind). Kalamata olives (pitted).

Tapatio hot sauce.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 4:57 PM

I dice up zucchini and yellow squash in the summer and saute them with chopped mushrooms. I almost always, always add finely chopped chives to the egg mixture when I make an omelet. I love the flavor of chives and eggs.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]So Italian, we even have a name for it, la frittata.

How I learned that you can combine mint with eggs.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 5:10 PM

Mac and Cheese omelet! Left over mac and cheese and saute green chilis or jalapenos to ad a little heat. My comfort food. Also left over rice is great (add other things to it like cheese, grilled veg, chilis, scallions, ect.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2019 5:16 PM

Crumbled blood pudding

Bananas

Garlic

Hummus

Cottage cheese

Lipton cup o noodles soup

Fritos

plantain chips

spring rolls

pork rinds

gefilte fish

soda bread

leftover pizza

Jambalaya

BBQ sweet potato chips

chocolate chili

cherry juice

apple cider vinegar

aloe vera

tea tree oil

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2019 5:38 PM

I use to love omelettes but like R16 one day I realized that scrambled eggs were basically the same ingredients and not nearly as dry as an omelette or as difficult to make.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2019 6:13 PM

R38, a French "omelet blanc", if executed properly, will never be dry. American fold-over omelets that are all brown on the outside will usually be dry.

Try the French method sometime. Once you go French, you'll never go back.

Skip to about 3:05 in the video for the classic French omelet blanc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2019 7:50 PM

For comfort eating, a generous helping of a moderately-strong Cheddar.

If I'm being pretentious, fresh thyme and scallions, and then serve with just a splash of cider vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2019 7:55 PM

Does the cider vinegar get shaken on top at the end or is it mixed into the eggs before cooking?

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2019 7:59 PM

I've seen a recipe where it is beaten with the eggs, but I've always just added a splash right before having at it with the fork. Either way, no more than a teaspoonful, and that's overgenerous.

Oh, if you're feeling semipretentious, you can go with the cheese but also add a pinch of cayenne.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2019 8:15 PM

Sharp cheddar, avocado and bacon.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2019 8:37 PM

Diced Spam and cheddar cheese. Now wait, hear me out. When it's scrambled with the eggs and cheese, you honest to god can't tell the Spam from real ham. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to deal with, unless you just happen to have some leftover ham kicking around in the fridge.

Dang, I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2019 8:51 PM

Actually, processed cheese is good for omelets, e.g., Kraft slices & Velveeta.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Smegma, the human cheese.

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2019 9:17 PM

Omuraisu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2019 2:19 PM

Cute, R47

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2019 8:11 PM

Fresh spinach is a good one--so is diced avocado, and fresh tomatoes (especially now that it's heirloom season), and so is pancetta after you've sauteed it. I always recommend not using too many ingredients, though, because I think you lose the taste of the egg if you do (and it's harder to flip a heavy omelette), so I usually keep my added ingredients to two. I do like adding spices to the egg mixture, though--especially thyme.

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2019 8:24 PM

[quote] I do like adding spices to the egg mixture, though--especially thyme.

Thyme is an herb.

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2019 8:25 PM

R50, do you have an herb rack to compliment your spice rack? If not, how do you handle this problem?

SURELY, you do not allow herbs on a spice rack.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2019 8:30 PM

Compliment? Yes, my herbs always say nice things about my spices. And vice versa. But they know which is which.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2019 8:32 PM

[quote] Thyme is an herb.

Oh honey, unclench.

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2019 8:41 PM

Thank you for the opportunity to correct my spelling. Complement. Happy now, R52?

I hope you never find yourself typing on a phone.

Love you!

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2019 8:42 PM

[quote]I hope you never find yourself typing on a phone.

So do I. I hate typing on my phone, so I do it as little as possible. DL can wait 'til I get home.

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2019 8:54 PM

R51 Thanks for picking up the gauntlet, same stickler has made his assertion before. (Best chicken salad thread) I'm sure "Herbie" believes he's teaching us a distinction we've NEVER heard of. Meaningless distinction really, as it doesn't affect intelligibility.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2019 9:05 PM

Bacon, cheddar and diced tomato. Also, R43.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2019 9:13 PM

Basic question _Whatever one uses, are they cooked separately and then added as a filling? Or is the egg batter poured on them after they are cooked?

Soy sauce or oyster sauce with ground shrimp or ground pork. _ sounds interesting. Tell me more please!

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2019 9:35 PM

Sliced pickled jalapenos, cheddar cheese and sweated onions. Enjoy them going in and then going out!

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2019 9:39 PM

Peanut butter and jelly!

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2019 10:35 PM

Well of course, farm-fresh eggs, ripped right out a hen before she's had a chance to sqwunch 'em out.

Then add some diced farm-fresh onion, white and green, freshly rinsed of dirt.

Some freshly fried thick-sliced smoked bacon, cut into postage stamp-sized pieces.

Lastly some cave-fresh, thin-sliced button mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2019 10:41 PM

R61, is the bacon pig-fresh?

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2019 10:48 PM

Sliced bananas and mozzarella cheese.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2019 10:59 PM

Mais oui, r62

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2019 11:15 PM

I do saute fresh spinach with chopped red onions and a very light sprinkle of oregano, salt & pepper just at the last, I sprinkle crumbled Feta cheee.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2019 11:21 PM

[quote]cave-fresh

lol

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2019 11:21 PM

spinach & Vietnamese garlic chili sauce

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2019 11:32 PM

Ive been putting Italian seasoning and some aged parmesan cheese in mine...simple but good

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote] Basic question _Whatever one uses, are they cooked separately and then added as a filling? Or is the egg batter poured on them after they are cooked?

Yes, you cook your fillings separately (in advance), except for something like avocado. Try to remove water from watery ingredients like mushrooms. I wouldn't call the egg mixture a "batter." I would use a nonstick pan with Pam spray or oil. Pour in your eggs (already mixed up). Let it set up for just a little. Then lay down your fillings. I also like to use a cover to create an oven effect (so the eggs cook somewhat evenly and don't burn on the side closest to the pan). Fold in half and you're done.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2019 12:28 AM

Thank you r69

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]"The final course was a sweet omelette, which was made at the table in a chafing-dish by Philip Boyes himself. Both Mr. Urquhart and his cousin were very particular about eating an omelette the moment it came from the pan—and a very good rule it is, and I advise you all to treat omelettes in the same way and never to allow them to stand, or they will get tough. Four eggs were brought to the table in their shells, and Mr. Urquhart broke them one by one into a bowl, adding sugar from a sifter. Then he handed the bowl to Mr. Boyes, saying: 'You're the real dab at omelettes, Philip—I'll leave this to you'. Philip Boyes then beat the eggs and sugar together, cooked the omelette in the chafing-dish, filled it with hot jam, which was brought in by Hannah Westlock, and then himself divided it into two portions, giving one to Mr. Urquhart and taking the remainder himself.

This passage from Dorothy Sayers' 'Strong Poison' inspired me to make a sweet omelet. I heat some blackcurrant jam in the microwave before I prepare one. It's a wonderful, simple desert, and very nice for breakfast with some strong coffee.

Spoiler Alert!: The poison was in the omelet: arsenic injected into a crack in one of the eggs. The murderer had been taking arsenic in small doses to build up a tolerance for it.

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2019 5:43 AM

Cheese, diced tomatoes , bacon

Cheese, diced onion, bacon

Bacon, avocado, diced tomatoes

diced red bell peppers, diced pickled jalapenos, cheese

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2019 5:46 AM

I'm more of a frittata person than omelettes, ut they're similar, so: Spinach and feta, with onions, chilli flakes. I also make a fairly good tortilla. Taught by a Spanish mate. Saute onions in a cast iron skillet, olive oil, add cubed potatoes, then garlic and fresh parsley, beaten eggs, salt and lack pepper,cook then finish off under griller or in oven. Even better, just search online for the instructions- I'm not Miguel.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2019 8:06 AM

The other day I made an egg omelette style. Used cream, salt and pepper and cooked in butter. It was delicious plain. I was making eggs unnecessarily fancy for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2019 9:08 AM

I buy shaved asiago cheese that I sprinkle liberally into my omelette. But what I usually do is use olive oil, not a lot, nd less than a half pat of butter. This is for one egg in a small pan. It's important to make sure your pan is hot enough, but not too hot or too cold. I also add about a teaspoon or a little less, of milk, then salt pepper and my herbs, spices, whatever. But if I'm using onions, broccoli, fresh spinach,bits of ham, etc. I always cook them first, then pour my egg mixture over them. It works out very well. And yes, you must eat your eggs immediately. Don't let them sit there and don't overcook them or they'll be rubbery.

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2019 11:42 AM

[quote]If I'm using fresh spinach,bits of ham, etc. I always cook them first, then pour my egg mixture over them.

Yes. This. Especially important with mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2019 2:25 PM

Cook the other ingredients first, but don't pour the eggs over them. Start the omelet in the pan by pouring in the eggs and let them begin to set. Then add the other ingredients and fold the omelet over them.

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2019 3:00 PM

Denver / Western omelettes

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2019 3:16 PM

Not gonna dirty an extra pan, r77.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2019 3:18 PM

Spinach, tomatoes, Swiss cheese and shrimp

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2019 3:28 PM

Kirkland Comte cheese and hot sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2019 11:28 PM

My favorite omelette is roasted red bell peppers and goat cheese.

R79, you don't need to use 2 pans. Cook the filling ingredients in the small frying pan that you'll cook the omelette in, turn them out onto a rack that's lined with paper towels, and spread them into a single layer to drain all moisture and grease into the paper towels. Add a little butter to the pan and heat it, pour the beaten eggs into the pan and let them cook gently, then spread the drained filling in a wide strip across the center of the pan and heat through -- then fold one edge of the egg patty over the filling and roll that side over the other edge and out of the pan onto a plate.

by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2019 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!