Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

From its start America was built around the idea that white people should always hold the most power

Race sits a the center of the United States of America. There is no major cultural of societal issue that does not, at it core, contain the relationship of its white colonizing population, and subsequent waves, with the other races: Native Americans, Black Africans, the Chinese and the "non-white" Irish and Italians (as they were considered at the time) of the 19th Century, the Hispanics of the 20th and 21st.

The political history of the country in a its basic form, is about the white people trying to maintain their political, financial and cultural dominance over these other groups - a topic which is at the forefront of our polarization these days.

"Where did this destructive, sectarian style of partisan politics come from? Conventional wisdom traces its roots to the “Gingrich Revolution” of the 1990s, whose architect pioneered a hardball, insurgent style of political combat, undermining norms and dismantling congressional institutions for the sake of power. This is true enough, but the Republican Party of the Obama years didn’t just recycle its Gingrich-era excesses; it also pursued a policy of total opposition, not just blocking Obama but also casting him as fundamentally illegitimate and un-American. He may have been elected by a majority of the voting public, but that majority didn’t count. It didn’t represent the “real” America."

"Real America" = White People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2019 1:01 AM

Let's all leave and turn the land back over to the Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 11:16 AM

I'm sure they wouldn't object.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 11:23 AM

But the Native Americans were legally granted the right to keep slaves for many years after slavery was abolished in the rest of the U.S., so you'd be handing over the country to the one group of people who insisted upon keeping slavery alive.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 11:38 AM

I can't wait for a DLer to chime in with something like "How come there isn't a WHITE history month??? Hunh???"

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 11:44 AM

It was the same in most of the World at the time. The Portuguese, Spanish and British just figured out that Slavery and oppressing minorities was neither fair nor profitable before the USA did.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 12:08 PM

Wow. The NY Times is going full blast racist.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 12:20 PM

Right, r5, but the Native Americans didn't agree with any of those countries in that, despite slavery becoming illegal in the United States, they insisted that they should be allowed to keep acquiring slaves and treat them as brutally as they wanted for many years after. So how would turning the U.S. over to them assist the fight against slavery and racism? They are the Last American Slavers.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 12:25 PM

I don't commit crimes

I work 50+ hours per week and do not take public assistance or burden my employer with disability or FMLA

I take care of my heath , maintain a BMI < 30, don't drink to excess or take drugs, I am aware of STDs. And how to avoid them.

I have made financial sacrifices to purchase my house and fund my retirement.

I do not live beyond my means

I do not draw negative attention to myself in public situations by being loud and using profanity.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 12:36 PM

What?

Delusion

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 12:51 PM

R6

Jamelle is angry. Jamelle wants us all to get angry.

We need to hate ourselves more and more. We are sinners. We must kill ourselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Jamelle needs to pull his tie up and not look unkempt.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 1:10 PM

I took FMLA when I was taking care of my terminally ill mother and didn't feel sorry for the corporation one bit, R8. Sad that you'd put a company over your own health or that of your loved ones but you don't seem like a good person, so.

Also love how you were listing all these things you don't do and then went "I am aware of STDs" but curiously didn't say "I've never had STDs!" We see you gurleena!

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 1:11 PM

And? Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 1:12 PM

and there is White Privilege in a nutshell at R8.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 1:32 PM

Manifest Destiny also is proof of this also but I live in the mindset that this country has evolved and will continue to do so.

It's also a nation settle by immigrants so one could argue that too.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 1:39 PM

r3, but it was their country first.

"so you'd be handing over the country to the one group of people who insisted upon keeping slavery alive."

Why don't you type, so you'd be handing BACK the country to the one group..."

Don't lose sight of the fact they were here first.

Also the Mexicans where in the southwest first also, because it was MEXICO. When we talk about sending them back, we don't always know what we are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 1:43 PM

Are you an ADOS supporter r3? There’s a handful of these people on twitter spewing the same lie about Native Americans as a way to keep atop the progressive stack.

A) Native Americans are not a monolith. B) Only a handful of tribes practiced slavery, and most of it was through intertribal POWs. C) The ones that did practice like the Comanche were more invested in selling other captive NAs to the Spanish and French then selling African slaves. D) You’re completely ignoring blacks who participated in the slave trade.

But nice try. The slave trade was an incredibly complex system; no one group is off the hook for their participation.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 1:55 PM

While it's true that no one group is really OFF the hook when it comes to guilt over slavery, one group who is ON the hook is the group that profited from it. Namely the white southern planter aristocracy. The ancestors of white southern republican senators.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 2:00 PM

When they were creating the declaration of Independence, they originally included all men. It was quickly pointed out that all of the people in the room owned slaves and it was amended to NOT include slaves. Fun fact, the emancipation proclamation was unconstitutional.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 2:44 PM

Well, r8, you certainly have never "earned" the right to re-define words in the dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 2:58 PM

Jamelle wants to foment guilt and self-hatred

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 9:34 PM

This thread made me realize that Jim Carrey should star in a biopic of John C. Calhoun.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 9:50 PM

I’m so tired of hearing about race. If I could take my family and friends with me, I’d move back to where my ancestors came from. I used to think that diversity was a good thing, but humans were not meant to get along. The more differences between us, the more difficult it is to have a productive society. Switzerland has the right idea. I’d be happy there.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 10:06 PM

^ Switzerland has a conciliatory form of government whereas we have a combative one.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 10:12 PM

Sorry OP, I got lost when you wrote "non-white Irish and Italians". This is sounding like a race bate troll who has posted to DL before.

Begone!

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 10:23 PM

A lot of trump supporters are quick to tell black people to go back to where you came from. But a lot of black people have Native American DNA in them. The Native Americans were here first, so to have their DNA means that thousands or perhaps millions of blacks, have ancestors that go back to *before* the arrival of the Mayflower, and the destructive white man.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 10:30 PM

We must continue to hate each other!

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote]But a lot of black people have Native American DNA in them. The Native Americans were here first, so to have their DNA means that thousands or perhaps millions of blacks, have ancestors that go back to *before* the arrival of the Mayflower, and the destructive white man.

Yeah, that’s a myth.

[quote]Here are the facts, according to geneticists Joanna Mountain and Kasia Bryc at 23andMe: The average African American is 73 percent sub-Saharan, 24 percent European and only 0.7 percent Native American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 10:46 PM

R23: Bye bye, bitch.

R25: The Irish and Italians were not white by the definition of the white WASP majority in the 19th and early 20th century. OP is correct. You should stop master baiting and read some history.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 10:48 PM

Well, R28, angry Jamelle Bouie doesn't have high cheekbones and straight black hair.

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 10:49 PM

I have US American Privilege. Yup. I was born here. I was educated here. I’ve successfully navigated the educational system from public compulsory school, to community college to a four year state university, to earning teaching credentials and a real estate broker license...All while working a lot and accruing no debt. I successfully navigated the economic system that I’m privileged to be able to take part in. I worked my jobs and did side gigs and saved and invested didn’t accrue massive debt and kept wants and desires within my means. I’m a gay man and I love this country (though I am still critical of aspects) and I do truly feel privileged to participate in all of the offerings. Do I feel guilty? Nope. Zero guilt here. I do think there are many whiney bitches with bad attitudes on DL. People are quick to see inequality but fail to see where opportunities lurk. There are so many opportunities available to US Americans. Especially now, in this economy. If you’re broke, go to work. Get a side gig or two. Be creative. Or you could always just post your bullshit here and wish your life were different.

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2019 10:55 PM

“...one group who is ON the hook is the group that profited from it.“

They ALL profited from it.

That’s the point and purpose of slavery. Free labor.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 10:58 PM

The vast majority of humanity - black, brown, red, yellow and white - has existed in a state of slavery and oppression throughout history. We need to let go of these tribal prejudices and treat each other as individuals, not members of a group, one who is "oppressed" and one who "oppresses."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 10:59 PM

R31, I used to say what you say now. I left my parents home at 19 and have supported myself ever since. Put myself through college. Started a business that had a bunch of employees when I sold it.

I worked my ass off the whole time.

I dare say back in 1960 if I was black it never have happened as described above...that's white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2019 11:04 PM

Dr Ben Carson has done well for himself, Mr Geezer.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 11:08 PM

Always amazed at the number of racists who come to DL. (I'm not saying that DL is racist, because these people might well be trolls from Russia or elsewhere).

P.S. r23, Switzerland has 1.5 million residents from other nations out of a population of 8 million, including lots of Europeans from southern Europe, as well as South America and the Carribean, and also has a significant population of Roma, and Tamils from Sri Lanka. Your post was mysterious.

There is no real evidence that people thought about race as a defining characteristic until sometime in the mid-1500s. It's not that people didn't notice it, but they apparently didn't pigeon-hole people based upon it. For instance, when the Arabs began spreading Islam in every direction, they went to Africa, Asia, and Europe to do so, and thought nothing of intermarrying with whatever people they found there. People definitely went to war with one another in all times, but that was more a matter of trying to gain land or wealth or there were religious reasons. Coincidentally, 1500 is about the time that Europeans began to encounter other races in significant numbers via their explorations. Since the easiest way to differentiate themselves from others was through skin color, and it became paramount to establish that Europeans were the superiors of all others on the planet, skin color became a definer of many elements in the minds of Europeans at least - intelligence, literacy, artistry, athleticism, grace, sexual prowess, etc. In other words, people tended to make many judgments about the capabilities of others based solely upon their skin color. This myopic world view has had a million bad effects and the aftereffects continue to the present time.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2019 11:12 PM

R35, I have black friends my age that have also done well, but it took a lot more effort.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2019 11:12 PM

R36 How can you cure us of this myopia?

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2019 11:19 PM

No reasonable person can deny that Blacks in the US were systematically oppressed into the 1960s, if not today. People should acknowledge that, without expressing their own fear of being blamed.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2019 11:29 PM

r26, I don't think they tell black people to go back to where they came from. Not Black Americans.

You really can't tell someone who was brought here by force to go back to where they came from. It's just doesn't have the same affect of telling people whose culture has immigrated here.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2019 11:55 PM

White males, not white people. Women were considered the property of first their father and then their husband until the middle of the 1900s. All the woman's belongings were the property of her father or husband. The children were the property of the husband. This country was set up for white males and they are the whiny, racist bastards ruining it today because the privilege they've gotten from simply having a white dick attached to their bodies is no longer sacrosanct. Poor little flabby babies like Trump might have to actually put in some effort and they don't want to do that.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2019 12:16 AM

Ah the overconfidence of the mediocre white heterosexual male. Poor things - the world is changing and they don't like it one bit. Too bad for them it's not a tide they can stem.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]I took FMLA when I was taking care of my terminally ill mother and didn't feel sorry for the corporation one bit, [R8]. Sad that you'd put a company over your own health or that of your loved ones but you don't seem like a good person, so...

Indeed. I’m currently out on short-term disability after surgery that I needed badly. I have money taken out of each paycheck for disability insurance, so why should I feel bad, R8?

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2019 1:51 AM

[R28] That 0.7% is still traceable. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2019 1:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!