Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump calls off trip to Denmark after prime minister shoots down idea of US buying Greenland

Donald Trump is calling off his planned trip to Denmark after the Danish prime minister dismissed the idea of the U.S. buying Greenland as “absurd.”

“Based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting,” President Trump wrote in a tweet Tuesday night.

The president had been expected to travel to Denmark over the Labor Day weekend, when he is also slated to travel to Poland.

While the president has openly acknowledged his interest in the possibility of somehow acquiring Greenland, which is a autonomous territory of Denmark, White House officials in recent days have downplayed the seriousness of such considerations.

"It's just something we talked about," Trump told reporters on Sunday and suggested he'd talk about the idea further with Denmark. "So the concept came up and I said, 'Certainly, I'd be. Strategically, it's interesting, and we'd be interested.' But we'll talk to them a little bit. It's not number one on the burner, I can tell you that."

The president had likened the concept of buying Greenland as akin to a "large real estate deal."

"Essentially, it's a large real estate deal. A lot of things can be done. It's hurting Denmark very badly, because they're losing almost $700 million a year carrying it. So they carry it at a great loss," Trump told reporters Sunday.

Trump is not the first U.S. president to express interest in Greenland. Former presidents Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower have also eyed the island for its strategic location and rich resources.

Greenland is a self-governing territory, responsible for its own policies and foreign affairs, that is technically a part of the Kingdom of Denmark.

After initial reports that Trump had talked about the possibility of buying the territory, the Greenland Ministry of Foreign Affairs responded, saying, "We're open for business. not for sale." A government of Greenland spokesperson reiterated that the island was not for sale when approached for comment by ABC News last week.

"We have a good cooperation with USA, and we see it as an expression of greater interest in investing in our country and the possibilities we offer," the spokesperson said. "Of course, Greenland is not for sale. Because of the unofficial nature of the news, the Government of Greenland has no further comments."

Greenland's strategic importance has increased as China has looked to expand its activity in the Arctic in recent years. While China already has research stations in Iceland and Norway, the nation is looking to expand its footprint into Greenland with a satellite ground station, renovated airport and mining operations. Those ambitions have alarmed Denmark -- as Greenland is a Danish territory -- with the Danes publicly expressed concerns with China's interest in the world's largest island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2019 12:39 PM

Lucky you, Denmark.`

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 7:11 AM

What a mook.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 7:18 AM

Just what we need, one more place he can destroy. God how I hate this fucker

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 9:44 AM

The sad thing is he knows fully well what he's doing. He wants to leave his mark in history and being outrageous is the way to do it. Expect his behavior to get even more outrageous the closer we get to the election, and if he's elected again things are only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 9:57 AM

Hissy fit.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 10:45 AM

Is there a better demonstration that what drives US foreign policy under Trump is solely Trump’s fragile ego? No strategy. No principles. Just his feelings.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 10:46 AM

Clear distraction. Wonder what else is going on.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 11:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 11:13 AM

I thought this was a made up story. Had no idea that he was halfway serious. Every day I ask myself how he could go any lower (in so many ways). I gotta say this, Trump doesn't disappoint in this regard. Most every day something more wild than the day before.

What next?

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 11:20 AM

So the lunatic really thought he could just buy Greenland. What a moron. Are there no senior advisers left who could have told him how absurd even bringing up something like this is? It's not the 19th century anymore where you could just buy territories and people. He now even cancelled his state visit and is insulting the royal family and the Danes. So buying Greenland was obviously his only interest and he doesn't care about diplomacy, friendship or good relations with this country.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 11:22 AM

[Quote] I thought this was a made up story. Had no idea that he was halfway serious.

I also thought this was made up or a joke. Especially after he posted the picture with the Trump tower. Unbelievable that he really was serious about this. He obviously lost all interest in Denmark now and cancelled his state visit. So insulting.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 11:30 AM

Every single day he demonstrates precisely how unfit he is for the office that he occupies. But that’s what happens when you install a reality show buffoon as president. Elect a clown 🤡 expect a circus.🎪

The frightening aspect to this is how unremarkable it is. Everyone has reported on it — and then just moved on to the next story. This lunatic came up with an absurd idea and got pissed at Denmark because they refused to go along with his insanity by declining to discuss this insulting ill-conceived proposition. Had any other leader done this it would not be brushed off so casually.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 11:51 AM

So the toddler threw is greenland toy at the head of the PM of Denmark? Quelle surprise. NOT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 11:54 AM

So much for his lie that it was only a minor thought. Stupid dotard.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 12:01 PM

With the exception of brutal, murderous dictators and thugs like Putin, Kim, and MBS, the rest of the world can’t wait for us to cancel this stupid show.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 12:43 PM

He is a total idiot but I am sure Denmark has big party

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 1:50 PM

He probably cancelled his Denmark trip because he was afraid he'd be made fun of by people while he was there.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 1:56 PM

Boo hoo hoo! Widdle Donnie Dumbshit doesn't get to ride on his big pwesidential pwane. Fuck bag.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 2:00 PM

He'll just tack on 4 trips to Mar-a-Lago to account for the loss of the trip to Denmark.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 2:14 PM

A) I think he views Greenland as mere "real estate," which he can just purchase like a regular property. That's truly how stupid this fucker is.

B) He probably thought that he could use this for his re-election campaign.

Imagine being the first President in almost 70 years to increase the size and territory of the United States. It would be comparable to the U.S. purchase of Alaska in the 1800's.

He is really that delusional.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 3:54 PM

Dumb Dumb is acting more and more like a Manchurian Candidate and Mel is his Russian handler.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 3:57 PM

What a fucking LOSER!

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 3:57 PM

Delusional

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 4:00 PM

I loathe that my attention is taken up by this fucking imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 4:01 PM

Denmark won't give me Greenland.

Sad!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 7:44 PM

So there's oil there then?

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 7:51 PM

Seward bought Alaska from Russia.

DUMP wants to buy Greenland from Denmark.

Hmmmm.... I wonder who gave him THAT idea?

Probably starts with a POOO and ends with a TIN.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 7:53 PM

I'd venture a guess that he didn't want comparisons of his trip to Obama's trip after he visits later this month. He mentioned Obama in his comments today so you know that's more his issue.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 7:58 PM

R26 Yes lots of oil.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 7:59 PM

DUMP has classic penis envy behavior.

His little weiner is probably two inches.... ERECT.

He fetishises Obama's BBC.

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 8:02 PM

Five years ago, could anyone have predicted that we'd eventually be used to this sort of bizarre headline?

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2019 8:04 PM

And then Trump called the Danish PM "Nasty" (as he does to so many other women) because she won't sell Greenland.

WTF???

What if the Chinese President says he wants to buy Florida and then, when Trump says no, he calls Trump "nasty"?

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 8:24 PM

Trump makes it personal with Danish PM over Greenland, calling her statement 'nasty'

A day after canceling his trip to Denmark over its refusal to sell Greenland to the United States, President Trump on Wednesday said he was deeply offended by Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s response to the idea, which she called “absurd.”

“I thought that the prime minister’s statement that it was an ‘absurd’ idea was nasty,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn. “I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do was say, ‘No, we wouldn’t be interested.’”

Trump spent several minutes airing his grievance with Frederiksen.

“I thought it was a very not nice way of saying something,” the president continued. “They could’ve told me no, this is something that has been discussed for many years.”

Trump noted that the idea of the United States acquiring Greenland was raised previously under President Harry S. Truman.

“Harry Truman very strongly thought it was a good idea,” Trump continued. “I think it’s a good idea because Denmark is losing $700 million a year with it. It doesn’t do them any good. But all they had to do was say, ‘No, we’d rather not do that.’ Or ‘We’d rather not talk about it.’ Don’t say, ‘What an absurd idea that is.’ Because she’s not talking to me, she’s talking to the United States of America. You don’t talk to the United States that way.”

He used the occasion to take a gratuitous swipe at his predecessor, saying other nations “can’t treat the United States of America the way they treated us under President Obama.”

Trump continued to rail against Denmark on Twitter aboard Air Force One during a flight to Kentucky.

On Sunday, Trump confirmed multiple reports that he was interested in buying Greenland and had even gone as far as asking advisers to look into the matter.

“Strategically, it’s interesting,” he said. “And we would be interested, but we will talk with them a little bit.”

In a tweet, Greenland’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the island was “open for business, not for sale.”

“Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland,” Frederiksen told a Danish newspaper. “I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously.”

Trump had been invited to visit Denmark during a trip to Europe next month. He abruptly announced he would not be making the stop in a tweet on Tuesday night.

“Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time,” Trump wrote.

Frederiksen told reporters early Wednesday that she was “disappointed and surprised” by Trump’s sudden cancellation, but also said that “this does not change the character of our good relations.”

“We will, of course, from Denmark, continue our ongoing dialogue with the U.S. on how we can develop our cooperation and deal with the many common challenges we are facing,” she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 8:26 PM

What about the Faroe Islands?

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2019 8:31 PM

I’m going to Copenhagen today. Seriously. I hope they understand most of us did NOT vote for this ass hole & the ones who did likely don’t have passports or travel much. If I get a chance, I’m gonna ask someone about it. I really want to know if they think Americans support this lunacy. I’m sure they know most of us don’t. I bet even his supporters are confused. (Though confusing his supporters isn’t really a challenge)

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 8:34 PM

While you’re there, R35, propose starting with the Faroe Islands as goodwill gesture. I believe what Trump has in mind us assumption of annual costs in perpetuity with no additional payment. Let us know how they react. Thanks, doll.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2019 8:37 PM

No, my name is not baby. It's Mette.

Ms. Frederiksen, if you're NASTY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2019 8:38 PM

Can't he just buy Pedo Island? I'm sure the heirs are not interested. As for him, he must know the island inside and out and have so many fond memories of his juvenile pussy-grabbabled conquests.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2019 8:50 PM

Well, she was rather rude.

I want to buy Greenland and the Faroe Islands and then whaling. They're big on whaling.

We would acquire Baja California as well!

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2019 9:18 PM

Whaling. Because indigenous people do it, it's ok. Please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2019 9:25 PM

Mrs. Betty Bowers knows the truth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2019 9:29 PM

Mrs. Betty Bowers knows the truth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2019 9:30 PM

Mrs. Betty Bowers for the win.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2019 10:24 PM

Hope you all remember this November 2020, get rid of this POS

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2019 10:27 PM

"Trump had been invited to visit Denmark during a trip to Europe next month."

That is not even true. He invited himself and supposedly asked for a state visit. I hope they do not reschedule and just tell him to stay away.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2019 7:07 AM

Dumb Donald doesn’t like being made out to be a Danish patsy.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2019 7:33 AM

Someone told Trump the POTUS is all powerful and can do anything. Being a ignoramus he takes it literally and makes an ass of himself.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2019 8:24 AM

. . . and Mexico will pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2019 8:54 AM

Politico:

GOP fundraises off Greenland flap: 'Support President Trump and his efforts to help America grow!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2019 4:58 PM

Is it a deplorable GoFundMe to buy Greenland, r49?

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2019 5:05 PM

The stupid fucker probably thought Greenland was a golf course.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2019 10:28 PM

Rick Wilson wrote a piece in the Daily Beast about how Trump has been more and more mentally unstable recently. It’s behind a paywall so I couldn’t read beyond the first few lines but ha was on CNN talking about it today.

I’ve been saying this for weeks. People always say “oh he’s always been nuts, that’s just who he is” but no, he’s definitely getting worse and more erratic.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote] R39: Well, she was rather rude.

She was, but this is why you start diplomacy at a lower level, and bring in the heads of government just to sign the deal. It allows people to save face. Trump should know this, but doesn’t, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2019 10:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2019 10:58 PM

Yeah. He’s getting worse. It’s difficult to tell because he’s always been nuts and saying batshit crazy stuff is his shtick, but these past few days seem to be at a different level because he has been completely off the rails. He’s reversed himself on the payroll tax cuts and background checks for gun purchases so many times he seems to be going in circles. Add to that the Second Coming, King of the Jews, “chosen one” comments and you have someone who should be evaluated for psychological stability.

But, it is unlikely anyone is going to do anything about him. Mostly everyone seems to ignore him as much as is possible.

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2019 11:18 PM

The “chosen one” comment is scary. Zealots can be dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2019 12:17 AM

But what can anyone “do” though? Besides hold our breath and hope we make it to January 2021?

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2019 12:58 AM

Ugh, he's such pathetic little bitch baby.

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2019 1:01 AM

The only thing that can be done is follow the procedures allowed by the 25th Amendment. But that would cause a severe upheaval that is extremely unlikely to occur. The members of his Cabinet are mostly fourth-stringer buffoons who haven’t got a lick of sense among them. Pence is a putz and would fold if asked to lead such an effort. The Repukes in Congress would balk at even the suggestion of removing him temporarily.

Let’s hope we make it to November 2020.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2019 1:55 AM

Wonder what stunts he’ll pull at the G7 Summit this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2019 3:09 AM

Boris Johnson (the British Trump) is already in France with his feet on the furniture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2019 3:15 AM

[quote] Boris Johnson (the British Trump) is already in France with his feet on the furniture.

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2019 4:47 AM

Yeah, that’s pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2019 5:10 AM

Yeah just wait til Boris and Donald team up over there.

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2019 5:12 AM

[Quote] Boris Johnson (the British Trump) is already in France with his feet on the furniture.

Wth? What a pig. When Trump and Johnson meet at the G7, he'll probably sell the NHS to the highest US bidder and the Brits are even more fucked. No one even voted for Johnson and he will rob them their universal health care.

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2019 8:10 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2019 8:14 AM

It would be sensible to stop the Chinese Government getting influence on this island.

They are already getting East Africa and North Australia.

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2019 8:31 AM

Watch for his and Ivankas shit to be exempt from the tariffs

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2019 8:46 PM

I wonder if the answer will be a cool No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2019 1:09 PM

The castles in Copenhagen are beautiful. Trump cannot be allowed to desecrate the place with his visit. England was bad enough.

The few Danes I talked to have a very odd view of American politics. One of them said “why doesn’t Trump use the money the Clintons put away for the wall” and I was like - wtf are you talking about? There is so much fake news and nonsensical bullshit (clinton had a secret stash for a wall from the 90s??) and people believe it strongly. He refused to accept I knew more on the topic than him. They also seemed to support the wall and didn’t understand why we were against it. This only represents a few people but still was odd.

They all considered the Greenland thing a joke but one said something about how he didn’t mean that he wanted to buy the country. He wanted to buy certain areas. They said he never “bought Scotland” - he just bought parts of it for his golf courses. I tried to explain that was as a private citizen developer and not the United States, but he didn’t get the difference. There’s also some white nationalism here & even toward Mexicans (who don’t even live here - but they hear what Trump says and basically take it as fact) so its a little disturbing but more likely, I have just run into certain types.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2019 12:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!