Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rock - Pop Band Finances

How is money distributed among successful groups? Do the ones that write the songs get all the royalty money? Does the front singer make more than the others?

I understand that with groups that are starting out, the manager or record company makes all the money. (I'm looking at you, Pebbles). So in a group like Fleetwood Mac, is Stevie much richer than Christine?

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 12:48 AM

Songwriters make most of the royalties which is why no talent singers like Madonna, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, etc make sure they get writing credits. They change a couple words and make the bank.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 1:37 AM

Stevie has her solo career, but purely from Fleetwood Mac, I would think Christine has made as much if not more money than Stevie. More of the hit singles were Christine's songs: of their top 40 singles in the US, ten were written by Christine and five were written by Stevie. Plus one of Christine's was Don't Stop which regained popularity when used by Bill Clinton as his campaign song.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 1:50 AM

U2 split their earnings equally among the 4 of them.

Say what you want about Bono.

Penn & Teller also split their earnings 50-50 but that's less of a shock.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 2:01 AM

Songwriting royalties was a bone of contention between Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson of the Band, with Robertson getting the lion's share.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 2:07 PM

"U2 split their earnings equally among the 4 of them. "

Queen did that at the end of their collective career, it really cut down the infighting. But that was the one group where all the members wrote big hits, so nobody was giving too much away.

It's my understanding that when a band hits the big time everyone gets a share of royalties from sales, merchandising, ticket sales, etc., but R1 is correct the really big personal income comes from song publishing rights. That's always been true, but it's truer than ever now that so little is to be gained from actual sales of music. Now, I've heard that singers or bands make more money from touring than from sales of recorded music.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 9:06 PM

Of course the finances of a solo artist are rather less complicated than a band, a solo artist pays for studio musicians to help with the recording and live show backup, and they keep all the royalties for themselves and demand a share of the song publishing royalties. IMHO that's why were seeing more solo artists and fewer bands than when I was younger, being a solo artist is much more lucrative.

Of course, it's all different when the "group" is a prefab creation like Lou Perlman's boy bands. In those cases, the management just keeps everything.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 9:10 PM

This is one of the reasons the Go Gos broke up.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 12:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!