Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

High school senior says she was excluded from yearbook because of her outfit: ‘I’m a lesbian who wanted to wear a tux’

A high school student in Springville, Ala., was excluded from her yearbook after wearing a tux for her senior portrait. Now she’s arguing that she was left out because, she says, “I’m a lesbian who wanted to wear a tux instead of a drape.”

Holley Gerelds took to Twitter on Thursday to share a photo of the “Not Pictured” section of the Springville High School yearbook, where her name was displayed underneath. However, she clarified that it wasn’t that she hadn’t gotten her photo taken, but instead that the school seemingly didn’t approve of the photo she took.

[quote] i took my senior portraits wearing a tux instead of a drape. guess who wasn’t pictured lol @happyhippiefdn pic.twitter.com/aLb5OiXeiU

[quote] i would like to add that i’m not trying to get anyone in trouble or sent hate. i’m just upset that i didn’t get put into MY senior yearbook because i’m a lesbian who wanted to wear a tux instead of a drape. i paid for my pictures just like everyone else

The 18-year-old tells Yahoo Lifestyle that the senior portrait was taken back in June 2018, when she chose to wear what she was most comfortable in: a tux.

“I’ve always worn masculine clothing,” she says. “I was under the impression that my picture would be in the yearbook. No one told me I couldn’t wear the tux until I went to retake my pictures in the fall.”

Gerelds went to retake her photo — again wearing her tux — because she didn’t like her hair in the original pictures. But when she arrived, the photographer refused to take the photo unless she put on the provided drape.

“I took my money back and left,” Gerelds explains. “When I saw my picture wasn’t included and that my name, misspelled, was listed under ‘not pictured’ I laughed because I expected it.”

Still, she was mad after having paid for the first round of pictures, not to mention the $75 she’d forked over for the yearbook itself. But after sharing her frustration on Twitter, the teen gained lots of support and ultimately settled the issue with her school.

Mike Howard, the superintendent of St. Clair County Schools, provided Yahoo Lifestyle with the following statement:

“I have received requests to comment on a student issue concerning senior portraits taken at Springville High School. Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on specific student matters. I understand that the senior portraits taken at Springville High School during the last school year were taken in accordance with long-standing school guidelines. We are in the process of reevaluating those guidelines to consider what changes, if any, need to be made.

“I can confirm that the composite photograph of the Springville High School Class of 2019 will include all students that participated in the senior portrait process, regardless of their choice of attire. In addition, we are reprinting a page of Springville High School’s recent yearbook to correct the misspelling of a student’s name and to include all students, regardless of their choice of attire.

“We wish all graduates of Springville High School and all schools throughout St. Clair County nothing but the best in their future endeavors.

Gerelds says that she shared her story in an effort to spread awareness of the incident, rather than to get anybody in trouble.

“I didn’t want to cause trouble at school. I also did not mean any harm by my tweet,” she says. “I want everyone to be educated on the incident so this will never happen to another student again. I hope people look at my story and stick up for themselves, too.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 10:34 PM

Here, let me fix that -

"I am a lesbian who longs for attention. Good, bad or ugly...just give it to me."

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 9:53 PM

A sequel to The Prom. Think of it: woke New Yorkers invade small, unenlightened Alabama town and take pictures of the seniors in whatever raiment they want, leading to all around understanding. Complete with singing and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 9:54 PM

She can wear whatever the fuck she wants to wear.

Like she said, she paid for the photos AND the yearbook. At no point did any of those jerks tell her that her photo wouldn't be allowed in the yearbook.

That's shady as shit.

They'll take your money, but they won't provide the service.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 9:55 PM

[quote] A sequel to The Prom.

Actually, the story would have to include her stabbing her classmates to death while in her tuxedo.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 9:56 PM

Is she getting out soon, to someplace nice? I'm too lazy to read but she looks intelligent and I wish her the best!

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 10:09 PM

Damn, R4. The Prom and Carrie. Two flops for the price of one.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 10:10 PM

PLUG IT UP!

PLUG IT UP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 10:16 PM

Incomplete information. Was the ‘drape’ required of all students, only the female students, or just her? Did the male students all wear tuxes? Or did everyone just wear what they wanted to?

Also - what’s a ‘drape’ in the context of taking a high school yearbook photo? Is it a dress, some other type of garment, or an actual curtain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 10:19 PM

Carrie White Eat Shite!

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 10:19 PM

I didn't read it, but I hope the school is required to reprint all the yearbooks with the photo in it at their cost, I will settle for nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!