Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did You Ever Find Out One of Your Parents Were Cheating?

This could be on their spouse or significant other.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 8:46 PM

*was

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 8:59 PM

Yes, it was horrible. I made the mistake of telling my sister, just so I didn't have to carry the burden of knowing by myself. Ultimately, we decided not to say anything to either parent, you never know what's going on in someone's marriage, and it wasn't any of our business.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 9:26 PM

I think my mom was cheating on my dad before they divorced. She would be gone all night, which is a red flag.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 9:30 PM

I was about 17 or so and walked into the house to see my mother standing in the kitchen with the husband of one of the neighbors. My dad was never home as he was on active duty with the Air Force. I didn't think much of it until yr later when the man in the kitchens daughter told me she thought our parents were having an affair,,,even 35 yrs later it creeped me out

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 9:31 PM

No, thank god

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 9:34 PM

BITCH PLEASE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 9:39 PM

Yes. Three years after our adoption, my siblings and I found clues that both of our adoptive parents were having affairs with other people. He (a reverend) with a woman he was marriage counseling; she (a school teacher) with the vice principal at her school. We didn't tell anyone, just discussed it among ourselves. It wasn't until two years later that our suspicions were confirmed when they made their respective relationships public after the divorce. He eventually dumped his adulterer and was engaged two more times before remarrying four years later. She is still with her adulterer nearly 30 years later.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 9:56 PM

Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 10:31 PM

YES! My mom did briefly. Dad worked too much. Luckily it ended and they made amends (awwww)....

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 10:38 PM

I often wonder what effect the blunt public cheating of a parent like Trump has on kids. Do they just accept that all men are cheats? Or think women are unfaithful? Or are they damaged by it? It’s part of the reason I think gay men having kids is weird - as it seems like it requires both parents be monogamous.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 10:49 PM

My dad has been married 6 or 7 times and he cheated on all of them as far as I know but then he's a piece of shit for many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 11:47 PM

Yes. My mother had an affair with our sailing instructor. She then decided she was going to take me and my siblings to go live with "Ralph". I am from LA and we lived in Pasadena and Ralph lived in Marina del Rey. I was about 11 at the time and we all said we wanted to stay with our Dad. It was really creepy for a while because I would see my dad listening in on the phone. My parents ended up going to couples counseling (this was the late 70's) and staying together for another 10 years. I also I think my mother didn't want to give up the good life (my father was a very successful lawyer) and live on a sailing instructor's income.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2019 1:57 AM

Nope, it would have never happened. My parents were crazy in love from the time they were teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2019 2:22 AM

Absolutely not!! My mother is a saint and so is my daddy !!!

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2019 2:44 AM

R13 were? Are they dead?

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2019 2:58 AM

You’re mother sounds like Joan Crawford, r12. Was he Uncle Ralph to you?

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2019 5:31 PM

*Your

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2019 5:31 PM

I found out at the same time as my mother that my father had been cheating (again, since he had cheated once before I was born that I didn't know about at the time). He hadn't come home one night, and at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, the woman he had been cheating with for the past year called to see if he had made it home. She then went on to explain that she was worried since he (my father) had gotten into a fight with her ex-husband at a bar earlier in the night. She then went on to tell my mother about the affair they had been having. I could hear my mother's side of the conversation, so I knew what it was all about. After hanging up, the woman called back to let her know that my father had just shown up at her house. When I got home from school the next day, my mother had packed up his clothes and he was out of the house for good.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2019 5:51 PM

R18 she kicked him out?

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2019 5:53 PM

What a bizarre conversation that must have been R18.

Was your mom hysterical or relatively calm? There seems to have been a good amount of passive-aggressiveness on the part of the mistress to do that, maybe also guilt. Sounds like it was 2nd time and you are out?

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2019 5:56 PM

No, Rose/R19, they went to Waikiki for a week.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2019 6:01 PM

Yep, R19, she had finally had enough and kicked him out of the house.

And for R20, I can still remember waking up to the phone ringing, my mother answering, and then her very loudly saying/yelling, "WHAT!". It only got worse from there. Oh, and it was the night before I started my freshman year of high school. You can imagine how THAT set the tone for the next four years. Separation, divorce, living in near poverty with my mother (the court ordered child support was $37.25 a week), and being a repressed gay kid. It's amazing that I lived through it.

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2019 6:02 PM

R22 how long ago was this?

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2019 6:06 PM

It was 40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2019 6:08 PM

Let me take my statement back in R22, that was $37.25 a month. That would convert to about $130 in 2019 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2019 6:15 PM

R15, Yes they both died back in 2013, only 6 weeks apart. My Dad couldn't go on without my Mom. I miss them both really badly.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2019 7:15 PM

So crazy that child support wasnt a thing until the late 80s. Amazing. I guess a good tIme to be a man. I think if I was a woman, if I wasn’t being physically abused and had kids I would have probably stuck it out somehow.

Another reason I find “stay at home” moms absurd. Even today, the husband can bail at any time. You may get some child support or alimony, but making yourself vulnerable to the whims of another seems like a really stupid thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 7:51 PM

ONE??? They both did. It did not turn out well.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 7:56 PM

R26 that's sweet that you all had a wonderful relationship.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 8:01 PM

My parents seemed to hate each other but never heard of them cheating. Too religious theoretically. But then who knows? We weren’t the most communicative or open people - so maybe they somehow found happiness elsewhere. Especially for my Dad, I hope he did. My mother was a narcissistic pain in the ass and he worked his ass off until the day he died to support us. I hope someone have him the love he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 8:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!