Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dave Van Ronk - was part of the Bob Dylan, Greenwich Village folk/Jazz scene if the early 60s.

But never became a star. I rather like his singing. Have you ever heard of him?

Never married. If he was gay, no one mentions it.

Interesting. He got caught of in the Stonewall Riots. Wasn't actually in Stonewall when they raided, but joined in.

[quote]Van Ronk was among 13 people arrested at the Stonewall Inn June 28, 1969—the night of the Stonewall Riots, which is widely credited as the start of the gay rights movement. [bold]Van Ronk had been dining at a neighboring restaurant, joined the riot against the Stonewall's police occupation, and was dragged from the crowd into the building by police deputy inspector Seymour Pine. [/bold]

[quote] The police slapped and punched Van Ronk to the point of near unconsciousness, handcuffed him to a radiator near the doorway, and decided to charge him for assault.

[quote] Recalling the expanding riot, Van Ronk said, "There were more people out there [outside the building] when I came out than when I went in. Things were still flying through the air, cacophony—I mean, just screaming and yelling, sirens, strobe lights, the whole spaghetti."

[quote] The next day, he was arrested and later released on his own recognizance for having thrown a heavy object at a police officer.[13] City records show he was charged with felony assault in the second degree[14] and pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of harassment, classified in 1969 as a violation under pL 240.25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 8:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 8:17 PM

I think this was his most famous song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 8:18 PM

He was the inspiration for Inside Llewyn Davis. Great film.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 8:22 PM

Thanks, R3 - yes, looks very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!