Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've become so paranoid that I'm now afraid for having given out my home phone number

I was talking with a co-worker about needing some plumbing done and a guy behind us said his uncle is a plumber.

I gave the guy my home number so his uncle could call me to arrange an appointment.

This guy didn't tell me his uncle's name and only gave me his first name.

I'm now afraid that he's going to rob my house while I'm at work.

I'm crazy right?

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2019 12:59 PM

You poor crazy thing.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 5:46 PM

Is he going to rob your house through your phone OP?

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 5:48 PM

OP you may experience surprised anal.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 5:51 PM

R2 all he has to do to find my address is do a reverse look up for my number. Then BAM, he steals my shit.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 5:53 PM

More likely he’s gonna do the reverse lookup then sneak in your house and hide.

At night he’ll come out from hiding and murder you in your bed.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 5:59 PM

shake your body OUT

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 6:01 PM

You still have a land line?

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 6:11 PM

I'm not saying that he's going to rob and/or ravish you in the wee hours of the morning, but you might want to consider installing a surveillance system with a very loud alarm.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 6:16 PM

Yes, you are crazy.

If you booked a plumber from a business, the first thing you'd do is give your name, address and phone number. Then you'd need to choose a time, so your work schedule would be implied. So, at that point, every single person who works at the plumbing place could know all of those details. Are you afraid to have a regular plumber in your home? Well, the way I explained it, you should be.

Maybe you're not crazy.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 6:20 PM

[quote] all he has to do to find my address is do a reverse look up for my number. Then BAM, he steals my shit.

Are you retarded? He can just google your name and find out your address. There are about 10 websites I can think of off the top of my head that will tell me your address, your former addresses, your phone number, your relatives and other information about you

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 6:30 PM

It's OK, OP. Your coworker's uncle sounds like a nice man. He will just hang out in your home Stealthily and then skin you for his taxidermy project.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 6:42 PM

Unless you have reason to think that your own specific home and belongings are of particular interest to some random coworker's uncle—like you've spread it all around the office that you've stashed a million dollars cash in a home safe—yes, you are crazy. If this alleged plumber is actually a house burglar, he could rob any home while the occupants are at work (which is not exactly a difficult thing to figure out) just as easily as he could rob you. He wouldn't likely be waiting around for referrals to relatives' coworkers. And if he's a real plumber with a larcenous streak, well—he obviously knows all of his clients' addresses and has some clue as to what their work hours are. If he sometimes saw fit to use this info as an opportunity to rob people, he'd likely have been caught long ago. Just the fact that somebody has access to your address and work hours (which a zillion people do should they choose to make any effort to find out) does not mean they're going to break into your house.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 7:00 PM

I thought my 70 year old parents were the only people who still had landlines.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 7:07 PM

I got rid of my landline - changed my mind and wanted it back. I called AT&T and they said in my neighborhood, it was no longer possible to get new landline service. (though others on my street still have their landlines)

Pissed me off. I miss the better voice quality. Oh well, can't have it anymore unless I move.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 7:11 PM

This is why you get a Pinger or TextNow number and memorize it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 7:12 PM

You gave your number to a co-worker, and now you think you’re going to be burglarized? Is it your coworker that you think is going to rob you? Or his “plumber” uncle?” Or “uncle?” Is the coworker in on it or just a stooge? How exactly does this scam work? Is your coworker a criminal mastermind whose strategy is to take a day job, say nothing, and wait for a coworker to mention he needs a plumber? Or maybe the uncle is the evil genius, duping his nephew into bringing him “plumber referrals” for easy marks?

That’s quite an imagination you’ve got there, OP. Do you write fiction outside of the internet?

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 7:18 PM

I think the intruder will have frosted hair and have a shaved crotch and hole, and immaculate hygiene. He will raid your laundry hamper and be jerking off when he hears you at the door. He will then hide under your bed, trying to wank as quietly as possible to your heavenly scented dirty shorts.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 7:25 PM

WAIT! You’ve inked your name and number in hundreds of bathroom stalls and were happy to get those anonymous calls. What’s changed?

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 7:34 PM

In the future OP, there is a simple fix for this, ask for their number, don't give out yours. So simple.

Contractors are notoriously bad about returning phone calls, so you will probably never hear from him if he is any good, if he calls you right back that means he has almost no work and probably no experience and you should tell him you no longer have the problem.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 8:14 PM

OP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 9:11 PM

I didn't give my number to a co-worker, but some random guy who overheard our conversation.

After the fact was when i realized how stupid I was.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2019 9:48 PM

Jill, we've traced the call it's coming from inside your head! Grab your pearls and get out of the house, get out of the house!!!!

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 10:02 PM

[quote] I didn't give my number to a co-worker, but some random guy who overheard our conversation.

Well, I'll give it to you that that's a really dumb way to find a good plumber. But it makes no sense to assume that some random person who knows nothing about you, your schedule, the other people and/or animals who might live in your home and what you have that's worth stealing would decide to rob your house just because he knows the address. If that's the only info the dude requires to want to rob you, why not just break into any old house and rob it? Why would he even need some random victim's address?

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 10:47 PM

You may be in for a terrifying encounter with the Zodiasscrack.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2019 11:11 PM

If he cuts off your genitals, there’s always the chance he will fry your penis and share it with you as a last meal before he slaughters you.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2019 12:33 AM

Hey some guy with a thick accent just phoned and said he was from Acme Plumbing. He wanted your home address and I gave it to him. Funny, he asked for your SS# and amount in your 401K. I gave it to him. Always happy to be of help!

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2019 12:44 AM

Looks like one way or another you’re going to get your pipes cleaned OP.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 1:02 AM

Seriously, there’s nothing to worry about OP.

Can I have your stuff? After the plumber takes what he wants, that is.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 1:03 AM

This is your chance to figure out exactly what you'd do if anybody broke in, not just this particular person. This article has all the steps you need to take:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 3:49 PM

Oh god, OP was right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2019 12:28 AM

Grandma is that you?

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2019 12:40 AM

Jorge is making mama hornge!

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2019 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!