Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ongoing headache during allergy season

Help DLers. Do any of you deal with mega sinus pain/pressure (forehead, eyes) around allergy season? I’m not congested, but my sinuses are aflame. Doc gave me a prescription for Allegra D and a shot of a strong NSAID painkiller over the weekend. Getting better but still hurts. Normally I’d try coffee but the dr. also said to avoid caffeine. Ouch. I need your remedies, wise DL!

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 1:08 PM

They always say “avoid caffeine.”

Rat bastards.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 11:32 AM

do a Nettie pot several times a day. Really helps. And Advil

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Apple cider vinegar, helps reduce mucous production and cleanse your lymphatic system.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 11:44 AM

Flonase helps me. Also, cold compresses over my eyes and massaging my temples help.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 12:35 PM

Get a steam shower installed and breathe deeply till the pain eases.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 12:37 PM

My doctor has me on a cortisteroid nasal spray for this. My sinuses around my nasal cavity are inflamed. I have to use the spray for 30 days and if it helps, great and if not, he will try something else.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 12:41 PM

I used Nasacort for years. Tried using the Clairitin nasal spray and it works so much better. But I feel like I'm overusing it. I worry about always needing it and what the long-term effects might be.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 12:46 PM

Rosemary oil .

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 12:47 PM

I take 2 Sudafed(the kind behind the counter) everyday to combat that pain and pressure

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 12:57 PM

I read in another thread that getting laid by a hot guy is a miracle cure for some ailments.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 1:01 PM

Thanks all.!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 2:18 PM

r6/Miserable -are you congested or just tons of pressure? I don't have any mucus (TMI) but the pressure is awful.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 2:23 PM

My friend had exactly the same symptoms, then his aneurysm exploded and he doesn't have any more problems. He's so peaceful now, I must go visit the cemetary sometime.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 2:51 PM

Had the same damned thing. So painful it felt like a migraine. I even had fever. It's an infection. Don't just treat the pain. The pressure really go to me. I was driving and got so nauseous I had to go home and crawl in bed. Took some advil. It helped. Slept. Also got a prescription for the infection. Antibiotic. You need to make sure you have the right balance of humidity. Too dry is bad, too wet is bad.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 3:06 PM

r13 - um. seriously dude???

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 3:09 PM

r14, sounds like what I had. Slept like a zombie on Saturday. WTF!

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 3:14 PM

Have coffee. Also, An anti-inflammatory diet can help more that you know, especially no white sugar.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 3:14 PM

There's truth in what R17 says. But if you can get your air ducts cleaned do it. And make sure you're changing filters in your furnace. Don't have a dusty house. Vacuum, and keep things uncluttered.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 3:19 PM

Agree with R17. Avoid sugar or anything that spikes blood sugar, it inflames soft tissue. I haven't had a sinus infection since I went on a low glycemic diet. The allergy doctor recommended it, he said it worked him. It's worked for me for 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 3:27 PM

My issues seem to flare seasonally. Every summer with the humidity or before it rains, my sinus pressure is awful to the point of nausea. Behind-the-eye and forehead/facial pain. One thing that seems to help is an ice pack alternated with a very hot cloth across the eyes and nose.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 3:46 PM

Neti pot and anti-inflammatory diet.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2019 8:00 PM

Have you thought about allergy shots, OP? Shots combined with Azelastine spray (which both my GP and my allergist said is perfectly safe) have made a huge difference for me.

BUT... On the rare occasion when I DO get a sinus headache, I sit in a hot tub and massage my forehead/cheekbones.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 11:26 PM

Another vote for Flonase, I use the "Sensimist." Last time I was at Costco, I saw the Flonase in the green bottles, but not the Sensimist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2019 12:08 AM

Your poppers are leaking

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2019 12:19 AM

Try a sinus rinse a few times a day. Works better if you heat the water to body temperature or just above.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2019 12:44 AM

Yup, sinus rinse x2, eye compress x2, lots of water, air purifiers, vaccuum x2, antihistamine eyedrops, occasional claritin/flonase as a last resort.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2019 1:15 AM

Antihistamines are idiosyncratic. You might have to take a month to find the right combination, dosage, etc. that works for you. I tried, literally, every allergy medication -- both prescription and OTC. After excluding the ones that caused sleepiness (Benadryl, and anything ending in -ane or -nol), I landed on 30 mg Cetirizine and Olopatadine O.U. q.d.

Try different combinations for a couple weeks each.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 1:30 AM

[quote]I take 2 Sudafed(the kind behind the counter) everyday to combat that pain and pressure

I would probably kill myself if I took that much Sudafed. I took one Sudafed for a cold earlier this year and it made me feel crazy for a few hours. I will say that all other cold meds cannot compare to the real Sudafed. It was amazing how fast it in cleared the congestion

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 1:54 AM

Go to the drugstore or order online Rhinocort Aqueous nasal spray. It has a steroid in it that only affects your sinuses, not the rest of your body. It calms swelling and inflammation in the sinuses.

If you are not familiar with using nasal sprays don't be a fucking retard like my mother who inhaled the nasal spray as she was spraying it up her nose, and when I say inhaled it, she snorted it up as if she was trying to suck it into her brain.

Don't inhale with your nose when you spray it. Turns out a lot of people think they're supposed to do that.

Just.Spray.It

When you open it, shake it hold it away from you and spray it two times. On the second spray you should be able to see it coming out in a fine spray. Then you know it's ready to use. One spray in each nostril. No snorting. You may feel the need to lightly sniff a few seconds later. It may drip back in your throats but that's fine.

I find Rhinocort to be the least "wet" and most gentle of steroid nasal sprays.

You could also try going to a drugstore and and getting real pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. It's the original Sudafed and it works much better that the Sudaphed sold today. Ask at the pharmacy counter if they sell "the original pseudo ephedrine" there or behind the register. You'll have to show your drivers license to prove your not Badger, Skinny Pete or Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 4:12 AM

R12 yes, it was a ton of pressure like someone was pressing in on the both sides of my head. How R14 described it is how I felt

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!