Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anti-vaxxers have helped bring back measles with a vengeance. Polio may be next.

"For now, wild poliovirus is cornered in eastern Afghanistan and western Pakistan, hard-to-access places where vaccination teams are often unwelcome and unsafe. But it is not magically corralled there. Any easing of the pressure on the virus could see a version of what is happening with measles unspool with polioviruses — though on a slower, less visible but still insidious basis."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2019 9:43 AM

Title is a bit misleading, isn’t it? When I hear “anti-vaxxer” I think Jenny McCarthy, not some dusty beturbaned guy with an AK-47 in The Tribal Regions.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 11:24 AM

If it comes back to the United States, the Pacific Northwest will be the first to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 11:40 AM

Old folks can't get it 'cause we got the vaccine in the early '60s.

So I don't care what idiotic parents do to their spawn.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 11:59 AM

Fucking millennials.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 1:21 PM

As a child, I was vaccinated against measles and STILL got them twice; once as a teenager and once as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 1:25 PM

What do you care? If you have your vaccine you aren't going to get it, and those who don't will die off.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 1:28 PM

My twins Oliver and Olivia got measles from some filthy foreigner when we went to Barcelona last year, and almost died, but at least they'll never get autism.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 1:32 PM

It's possible [R5] that what you had twice was German measles, a distinctly different strain (and actually the plot line in The Mirror Cracked) I was vaccinated against everything in the world, and got German measles.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 2:12 PM

R8 German measles as an adult. Garden-variety measles as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote]As a child, I was vaccinated against measles and STILL got them twice; once as a teenager and once as an adult.

[quote]R8] German measles as an adult. Garden-variety measles as a teenager.

And this is why we have anti-vaxxers

[quote]Rubella, also called German measles or three-day measles, is a contagious viral infection best known by its distinctive red rash. Rubella is not the same as measles (rubeola), though the two illnesses do share some characteristics, including the red rash

You did not get measles twice. You got each disease once.

[quote]But the good news is, fully vaccinated people who get measles are much more likely to have a milder illness. And fully vaccinated people are also less likely to spread the disease to other people, including people who can't get vaccinated because they are too young or have weakened immune systems.

Getting a vaccine is still better than not getting one.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 2:35 PM

I just feel bad for babies too young to be vaccinated but plan to be who will be exposed to these diseases and will suffer needlessly. I don't particularly care if the anti-vaxxers' kids die.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 2:49 PM

"If it comes back to the United States, the Pacific Northwest will be the first to see it. "

No, California will be first! Just as many idiots who think their spawn are too precious for vaccination, more flights in and out of other countries!

Fine, whatever, it's all Nature's plan for natural selection. If people who are too stupid to understand the benefits of vaccination breed, they next generation will be taken out of the gene pool and humanity will be better off for it in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 6:12 PM

Thanks Russia.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 6:24 PM

It's not impossible(but very unlikely) to get measles more than once, especially if you have a compromised immune system, such as HIV.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2019 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!