Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

đź’» Help Me Pic Out a New Apple Laptop

I need to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Air and I’m really lost on the new Mac lineup. I also live in a rural area so I can’t go into an Apple Store or Best Buy to look at the computers in person.

Things I’m concerned about:

The butterfly keyboard—I’ll be using my laptop mostly for word processing and I’ve heard really bad things about this keyboard and lack of travel when you press on keys.

Ports—on my current MacBook Air, I really utilize the usb and sd card ports for additional storage space.

Also, I need something light weight and that has good cpu as I do moderate photoshopping on my current Mac.

Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 9:27 AM

Walk into the store and ask an Apple employee who knows what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 1:04 AM

R1 read OPs post. They don’t live near an apple store.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 1:06 AM

I three Macs, all manufactured within the last three years. Every one of them has had at least one major hardware issues that has required it to be sent away to be repaired. Working with their tech support was disappointing, too. I remember when Apple employees were impressively knowledgeable and and friendly. Now they're drones reading prompts. It's a steady decline.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 1:08 AM

Still enjoying my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). See if you can find one refurbished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 1:13 AM

Use the money you'd spend on the MacBook, instead, on moving out of a rural area.

My advice is to get a spec'd out Mac Mini and a good monitor. Laptops are fucking stupid, if you're not actually traveling with them and iMac screens have too many fucking issues and render the entire machine obsolete before the actual hardware has any decent reason to be replaced. With a Mini, when you're ready to upgrade again, you can repurpose the machine for anything under the sun and you can keep upgrading the monitor.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 1:16 AM

I bought a 13' MacBook Air in January and have had no problems. With newer models you must buy an adapter as they no longer have the ports built in, it's not very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 1:16 AM

How do you guys feel about the butterfly keyboard?

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 2:42 AM

[quote] The butterfly keyboard—I’ll be using my laptop mostly for word processing and I’ve heard really bad things about this keyboard and lack of travel when you press on keys.

I don't have experience with a butterfly keyboard. According to this article, the keys were built for thin-ness, which makes sense for a laptop, especially an Air.

Just a guess, but I don't think you'll like the keys on a Mac laptop, if you're concerned about "lack of travel." Maybe you can just buy it and return it if you don't like the keyboard.

I hate the chiclet / island style keyboards. I have an iMac, and have had no problems with the screen, as R5 mentioned. I also swapped out the crappy Apple keyboard for a Dell keyboard. At some point, I'd like to get a gaming or mechanical keyboard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 3:31 AM

Was a long-time Apple fanboy, but recently bought a Microsoft Surface when I needed an upgrade. Apple is just getting too expensive. I'm kinda liking the Surface, but do miss my Mac. The Surface can at least do double duty as a tablet. I just don't like that apps for the 'tablet' are limited.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 3:39 AM

You want a Macbook Pro - since you want to do photoshop. I would say from your description you can get away with the 1299 one. It has three thunderbolt three ports - so you can tie in any outside storage you need (if you are a photographer or video editing etc).

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 3:44 AM

Agree about your needing a MacBook Pro. Get a refurbished one with maximum memory and largest hard drive. You’ll have a great machine for years.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 3:51 AM

A bunch of thoughts: 1. R5’s suggestion is the most sensible: Get a Mac Mini. You do not need a MacBook Pro for all the reasons others have mentioned. In addition, how could you be talking about Photoshop work and not have a large monitor??? If not a Mac Mini then simply get a 27 inch iMac. It would be great if Apple offered the Touch Bar as a desktop option (it’s actually pretty unconscionable that they don’t offer it to desktop pros that need it most).

Since you’re so geographically isolated, Apple Care support is obviously essential. Why would you even consider a machine with such an exorbitant yet necessary Apple Care cost?

FWIW, I’m an Apple fanboy still on a 10-year-old 17” MBP. Long in the tooth, but still able to use Photoshop and Illustrator for occasional design jobs (I’m semi-retired), as well as FCPx, and have swapped out my HD for an SSD, which might get me another year or so. I’ll probably get a new machine as soon as the butterfly mechanism is completely replaced, and/or Apple adds a Touch Bar option to their desktops.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 5:22 AM

A desktop setup is out of the question. Im looking at a mbp but I'm not feeling the Touch Bar, so I may just wait till the next apple event. Isn’t there one coming up soon?

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 7:20 AM

R13, they're not going to make any major changes to the lineup anytime soon. If you want one, get one but beware, you will have to adjust to the new lack of ports if you're coming from a 2012 MacBook Pro.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 7:27 AM

I still have my Sony VAIO with all ports and built in 15- inch HD screen and Blu-ray/DVD player and recorder. I will cherish this 2012 model until I'm a hundred years old and want it in my coffin when I'm dead.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 9:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!