Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dataloungers, help me plan a trip to India!

I've decided to go on a trip India next year--either in March or in October. I've never been to India before but I've long been fascinated by its history and culture, and I love Satyajit Ray movies and Indian food.

I'm planning to a trip of 12 to 14 days where I will visit the Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) plus one more city.

For the fourth city, I'm trying to decide between Ranthambore (to see the wildlife in its national park), Varanasi (to see the Ganjes), or Mumbai. Which of these cities do you think would be most interesting?

Also, what sites should I be sure to see, and what tips do you have for traveling in India? I'm more of a history and culture lover than a nature lover, and I'm planning a busy trip where I can see and do a lot as opposed to a trip where I'd be spending a lot of time chilling at some resort.

Your advice would be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 2:21 AM

Don't go!

You will see diarrhoea everywhere.

See it, smell it, walk in it.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 11:49 PM

Prepare for the overwhelming smell and people sleeping on the street.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 11:54 PM

Where are you flying into/out of? If you don't like nature, I would do Mumbai just because it is its largest city.

What animals besides bengal tigers and indian elephants would you see? There's no guarantee you'll come across any or if it will be interesting. You only see 'the best of' animal safari videos. Many times the animals are sleeping or in the distance. THAT you don't see on videos because, well, it's boring as shit. I can see animals sleeping in a zoo.

Never been to India - but I've heard it is quite an "adjustment".

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 11:58 PM

Varanasi riverfront seems to be the quintessential India,, just wash off if making any contact with the water!

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 12:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 12:08 AM

Avoid India entirely if you are female.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 12:13 AM

Bodh Gaya, see the Mahabodhi.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 12:15 AM

Avoid fellows like these!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 12:16 AM

A Dutch tourist was recently assaulted in Lucknow, India for using a rainbow-coloured debit card to pay his bill. According to reports, a group of men attacked the 29-year-old traveller after he used his travel card issued by the Netherlands-based bank Bunq to settle his bill in a café in the north Indian town. They thought he was gay as the debit card design features bright stripes of colours which they confused with that on the LGBTQ community’s rainbow flag. The Dutch visitor was reportedly surrounded by eight men who hollered homophobic remarks at him, called him ‘gay’ and beat him up. He suffered injuries and had to be taken to the hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 12:25 AM

OP before I opened the thread I knew that there would be a bunch of dire warnings from people who have never set foot out of the USA.

India is amazing. I’d go with a Mumbai as your other city but I love big heaving metropolises.

Have a great trip!

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 12:26 AM

Been there on business years back. Very unsanitary sites/streets. If you must go, and particularly alone, I recommend a guided tour with a group. Choose your "must see" places and select the itinerary that best fits. The good tours will provide quality accommodations and some of the better restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 12:29 AM

Wear socks when you go too the Taj Mahal. You'll be required to remove your shoes, and the marble floors get scolding hot in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 12:32 AM

I've been to India three times : once to the north and twice to the south (Chennai,,Karnatica etc.) and much preferred the south. During the north India trip I did have a chance to visit Ranthambore and was fortunate to encounter tigers on two excursions into the park. Having said that I would suggest you change your destination and choose Sri Lanka. I came back from there with more positive memories and, being an elephant lover, I had more than enough to satisfy me after visiting their nature reserves. Also, please consider a dose of Dukoral before your trip - it combats both diarrhea and cholera !

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 12:36 AM

OP, I spent two weeks in Mumbai during a three-month trip to India (about seven years ago) and I had a great time there. It’s a dynamic city with great restaurants, galleries, architecture, shopping, and more.

I strongly disagree with those recommending guided tours and such. (In fact, I think tour groups are more of a target for trouble because they’re so obvious. Plus, do you really want to be herded around like a second-grader?)

The most interesting parts of my trip were the times just spent wandering, talking and eating with strangers. India has challenges, of course, but I never encountered danger. Nor did I experience stomach problems. Just take the usual precautions and you’ll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Have been to New Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, and Hyderabad. I feel no need to go back. Every place felt desperate and threatening, and the filth was extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 1:06 AM

Indian here. Yes, India can seem intense and dirty to tourists. Plus the infrastructure for tourism is still being developed. I recommend a visit to Goa or Kerala, if you want a more laidback trip. Rajasthan is also pretty and less crowded as compared to Delhi and Mumbai. Kolkata is crowded but has lots of character. Be prepared for surprises (and shocks) and don't try to be too adventurous. If you can, find a local who can guide you to the best places. Indian food is spicy, as you probably know. The best time to visit India is between Oct - March.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 1:16 AM

Are you traveling solo?

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 1:24 AM

[quote]Prepare for the overwhelming smell and people sleeping on the street.

He's not going to San Francisco--he's going to India.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 1:32 AM

dont go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 1:34 AM

dont go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 1:36 AM

Indian again. Didn't read your initial post. I'd go to Ranthambore and not Varanasi. Most Westerners come with preconceived notions about Varanasi and are mostly disappointed when they actually arrive there. It is an interesting city, yes, and has lots of history. But it is important to have realistic expectations. Mumbai is India's largest city and is extremely crowded. It is a center of finance and movies and is definitely not boring for tourists. A lot of my Westerner friends tend to find local contacts through sites. You can always use google to find resources or contacts. Here is an interesting link for you: https://gaybombay.org/ (if you are traveling solo)

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2019 1:53 AM

Since you're already going to one of the largest and most crowded cities on the planet (much less India alone) in Delhi, I don't think I would want to go to Mumbai too. but that's just me.

I would want to go to Varanasi, even knowing how filthy and polluted the river is, but just to say I'd seen it. The buildings are so spectacular. But again, that's me.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 2:12 AM

with a civil war/war with pakistan at the onset, i would rather visit another country for now...

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 2:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!