Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“The Mexican” (2001) - why wasn’t it a bigger hit?

I remember when it came out it was expected to make a shit ton of money because it starred two of the worlds biggest movie stars, Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt.

It ended up only earning $66 million domestically, making it a “flop”.

I always wondered why it didn’t do better.

Any gossip from the filming of this? Did Julia fuck Brad? I know she loved getting the hottest dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 12:22 PM

TERRIBLE TITLE

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 10:02 PM

At the time I recall they didn’t seem to hype the “Brad Pitt and Julie Roberts finally together in a movie” angle, which may have helped the box office. Instead they seemed to market it as romantic comedy when the two leads were actually not in much of the movie together.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 4:26 AM

Roberts was aging out of her ingenue role , had bad press from her marriage ' a low vera', is ten times more masculine than Brad Pitt .

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 4:39 AM

It looked horrible, looked like a vanity piece for both of them, they don't seem to have much chemistry (and that's just coming from the trailers) and there was nothing about the title or the trailer that let you know what it was really about.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 4:39 AM

For some reason, I still vividly remember seeing the trailer for The Mexican before seeing some other god-awful movie from 2001 and thinking that it looked "interesting." Of course, I never ended up seeing it and will probably never see it. I don't know why I vividly remember this stupid trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 4:54 AM

Isn't James Gandolfini's character gay in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 10:07 AM

Yes, [R6], he is. And he's the only reason to see this lousy film. He's adorable. Unfortunately he dies halfway through and then you're stuck with nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 12:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!