Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mesmerizingly awful reality shows of the 2000s

A lot of reality shows of the previous decade probably wouldn't get made today. Which of these did you watch?

- "The Swan" — a team of plastic surgeons make over a frumpy woman in months of procedures, never letting her see a mirror until the "reveal." Most came out looking like fembot drag queens.

- "The Moment of Truth" — contestant hooked up to lie detector and forced to answer appalling personal questions to win money. It broke up at least one marriage.

- "Superstar USA" — a fake "American Idol" where delusional, terrible singers were advanced. Audiences at the final live show were told that the contestants were special needs and to cheer for them no matter what.

- "The Littlest Groom" — Basically "The Bachelor" with midgets.

I loved "The Swan."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2019 10:35 AM

[italic]Flavor of Love[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 8:27 PM

The70s House

Just cringe-worthy from start to finish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 8:33 PM

The Swan was an amazing show!!!

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 8:33 PM

Mission Man Band. Yeesh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 8:34 PM

"Superstar USA" had JoJo, who in addition to being gay seemed to have some mental disability. They sent him out in the finale to perform Beyonce.

The best part of the show for me was Vitamin C on the judges' panel, who could pull off the perfect deadpan compliment like "I've really never heard anything like that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 8:37 PM

I don't remember Superstar USA, thankfully. It sounds like the most appalling spectacle ever put on tv. At least with the Gong Show I have a feeling most constants were in on the joke.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 9:33 PM

"Old Sea Hag" where contestants would find out who the Hag is and cast her out to sea.

It was deemed too sexist and lasted for only one season.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 9:43 PM

Who Wanto To Marry a Multi-Millionaire?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 9:44 PM

R8 What I remember most about that shitshow was that at first I confused Darva Conger for Krista Tesreau of Guiding Light, and I couldn't understand why she would debase herself like that.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 9:47 PM

Does anyone remember a show - I think on VH1 - that centered around commuters singing to songs on the radio?

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 9:48 PM

The one with Kathy Griffin where hot and nothot guys competed and the one with INXS.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 9:53 PM

Splash. The celebrity diving show. I think DL fave Drake Bell won that.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 9:54 PM

Superstar USA was really entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 9:54 PM

I liked Celebrity Mole.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 9:55 PM

Joe Millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 10:02 PM

Whoever gave Superstar USA the green light was surely a Datalounger. So ridiculous, so mean, so funny. Though I assume some of the contestants were in on the joke, like the woman who kept forgetting the lyrics.

Vitamin C had a great deadpan. "I never realized how long that song is!"

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 10:10 PM

"Hot or Not" was embarrassingly bad, Lorenzo Llamas was a judge.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 10:11 PM

R16 could you imagine such a show being greenlighted today? Twitter SJWs would lose their minds.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 10:17 PM

My favourite was "Straight Plan for the Gay Man," which followed "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." It was only six episodes. The straight team tried to butch up typical gay men so they could take on a straight role. I loved the ep where they shaped up a guy who worked in theatre (I think) so that he was hired to work in a meat packing plant. He was so thrilled to resume his normal life after it was over.

If anyone can point me to a link for streaming, I'd appreciate it.

life.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 10:24 PM

Average Joe.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 10:28 PM

The Swan was incredible. Some of the people they fixed up looked like circus freaks before the makeover. What was novel to me was that these pathologically ugly people were actually as self-obsessed as beauty queens.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 10:28 PM

There was a dating competition where men competed to date Jerry Hall. She was actually charming in this.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2019 10:30 PM

The 2000s were a cultural bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2019 10:31 PM

R22 I would imagine the only thing that attracts Jerry Hall is a man's checkbook. Look at Mick Jagger and Rupert Murdoch, I don't think she cares about looks.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2019 10:33 PM

Megan Wants a Millionaire. Where a reject from Rock of Love tried to find a man of her own, but one of the contestants was a murderer who soon killed himself. Show was quickly axed.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 10:33 PM

I still laugh about Kyle Richards on that celebrity diving show. You have to watch her dive towards the end. I thought after all that crying that she was going to do a triple flip into a flying twist, but instead we got this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 10:52 PM

I did see a British one called Autistic Superstars. That title! It was a good show. Two autistic people were taught a second song (the first they'd been singing on their own for years) and then marched out to perform in front of an audience. Their backing group all were autistic too. I learnt a lot about autism from this show.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 10:58 PM

I loved [italic]The Surreal Life,[/italic] which was the closest thing America ever had to the UK version of [italic]Celebrity Big Brother.[/italic] Tammy Faye! Vanilla Ice! Alexis Arquette! Janice Dickinson! Chyna! Omarosa! Incontinent Verne Troyer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 11:05 PM

I wonder about what happened to the contestants on Superstar USA more than any sane person should.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2019 12:50 AM

How can anyone forget House of Carters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2019 12:54 AM

Vitamin C: "JoJo, that was a RIDICULOUS performance!"

JoJo: "Rock on!"

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2019 1:01 AM

The Quest was this fantasy-based reality competition series that aired on ABC in 2014, and lasted 10 whole episodes. It sent a group of American contestants to a castle estate outside Vienna, where they got medieval clothing and rooms - they also had to interact with people (hired actors playing roles) who behaved like it was 1500's England. The challenges were things like finding an elf, then doing some knight-like quest to win the days challenge. I watched it when it started but it was dumb AND boring.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2019 1:51 AM

You're bringing back so many memories, OP! The Swan was one of my favorite shows. There should be a follow up to see how the participants held up.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2019 4:11 AM

R24, Mick was considered beautiful up until his mid-50s.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2019 10:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!