Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Friedrich Air Conditioners?

Are they as fabulous as I've been lead to believe?

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 6:19 PM

They're fabulous! I wouldn't use anything else!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 4:14 PM

yes, they are good.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 4:16 PM

What about French air conditioners? Do those exist?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 4:18 PM

Good, but not worth the money in terms of longevity and cost of operation.

Often you can get two off-brands for the price of one Friedrich and there's no guarantee past one or two years. Any AC can beat that.

The problem with window ACs is people do not bother to take them out and clean them out yearly with a hose. Then sooner than later compressor goes out on high pressure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 4:21 PM

Friedrich lasts longer than one or two years...

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 4:28 PM

That lady is SO GREAT!

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 4:30 PM

I know that, r5, but how long is the brand's warranty?

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 4:37 PM

R7, I don't know. My friend moved and gave me his Friedrich AC. It's still working great, I've had it for over 4 years now, no problems at all.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 4:39 PM

My dad's first job was with Friedrich - he was ass't personnel manager. This was back when Friedrich was still family owned and based in San Antonio - plant and all. Of course, we always had Friedrich a/c's. Back then Friedrich was a premier brand. In the mid-6's the company was bought from the family and had several turnovers of ownership. Dad was laid off in 1969. Quality suffered during the ownership turnovers. I have heard, though, that quality has recovered.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 4:52 PM

In NYC, there is a slew of old ones that appear to have been in operation since the 70s or 80s.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 5:17 PM

Is it more appropriate to have a Friedrich if it's going to be facing the street?

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 7:04 PM

Here, read this before you waste money:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 10:36 PM

Here, read this before you waste money:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 10:36 PM

The Friedrich warranty is barely worth the paper it's printed on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 10:27 AM

The Friedrich warranty is barely worth the paper it's printed on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 10:27 AM

I had 4 Friedrich units when Iived in NYC.

They were fine. I didn’t realize they were supposed to be well-known.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 10:31 AM

At one time decades ago they were great, kinda like Mercedes-Benz were once great, both solid and reliable.

Now they're just trading on their name, like Mercedes.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 10:45 AM

My ideology for most electronic equipment: buy cheap, use until it breaks, replace. The surprise is that most of my equipment has lasted many years. My air conditioners are Frigidaire.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 10:46 AM

We had Friedrich central air units when my dad worked there. No room (window or through the wall) units. For the last 20+ years I have had a Trane central unit in my house and it is wonderful. I don't know if they still do, but in my dad's day there Friedrich also made refrigeration and freezer cases for grocery stores.

Based on the comments in R13's link it doesn't appear quality has improved that much. And, yes, R17 back in the 50's and 60's Friedrich was a really superior brand.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 5:39 PM

From Wiki: "The company was acquired by Corinthian Capital in December, 2012."

Corinthian is merely gutting the company's by selling customers on the goodwill built up in decades past.

Be smart, get a different brand that's not so expensive. And clean it out yearly, just like the lady in the video above shows how.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 6:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!