Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Great Lakes Cities

What is the future of great lakes cities like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc,? With global warming becoming a huge threat to the cities on the coasts--not to mention that earthquake that is supposed to destroy the west coast any day now--will these cities see a resurgence in their economies and populations? And will the future of America rest on these cities instead of the coastal ones? Discuss. As someone who lives in one of these cities, I'm wondering if I should even move to NYC like I have always wanted to do. What's the point if it is a) expensive as hell, b) going to be underwater (probably sooner than we think)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2020 7:30 PM

In about fifty years, they'll be the front in the war over fresh water.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 4:14 PM

R1, that's what I'm thinking as well. I also think that many first world countries, especially Canada and the northern part of the United States, will have to accept a ton of climate change refugees from developing countries that will be to hot to be livable. Maybe I should buy a condo in Chicago while I still can.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 4:16 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 4:41 PM

When the Southwest and South go under because of a lack of water, the Great Lakes States will thrive.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 5:26 PM

R4, everywhere will be hotter, but I cannot imagine how hot places like Austin or Phoenix will be.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 5:56 PM

Chicago is on a clear track to snatch the throne.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 7:07 PM

A long time ago I was on the observation deck of City Hall in Buffalo. I learned then that about 21% of the world's fresh water was flowing right by the building. Remarkable to think about. The resources that have made fortunes for families are finite. Water and land are the only things we can consider infinite. Buy real estate around the Great Lakes--your descendants will thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 7:11 PM

What is this notion land around the Great Lakes is some path to riches?

They need fresh water, the government expropriates the land and builds a pipeline.

Good bye, Southfork.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 7:15 PM

Meanwhile I'll make my way to Anchorage or Fairbanks. (Have any of you been in mid-west during the summer? No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 7:19 PM

Have you seen how close those old factories and nuclear power plants are to the water?

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 7:31 PM

r3=moron

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 7:42 PM

R7, it's scary to think that Russia is another large country near tons of fresh water. Can you imagine what that will do to Russia's power? I shudder at the thought.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 9:18 PM

[QUOTE] everywhere will be hotter, but I cannot imagine how hot places like Austin or Phoenix will be.

Phoenix will be the first to become uninhabitable.

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to build a city in the middle of a 120 degree, land locked desert that has to bring the water it needs from another state?

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 9:47 PM

[quote] They need fresh water, the government expropriates the land and builds a pipeline.

As if.

Forget that idea.

We've already considered that and protected The Great Lakes against it.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 10:09 PM

R13, it was probably just plain old hubris. People probably assumed that resources like water were infinite.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 10:14 PM

If you actually own property around Chicago, you know the property taxes are insanely high and rising every year. You can't rent it out because no one has money and they stiff you every month.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 10:15 PM

How is 21% of the world fresh water near Buffalo? Is that the total of the Great Lakes? That’s kinda surprising.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 10:26 PM

The Great Lakes in total are the 21%. I was inexact above but Buffalo is located where Lake Erie (and the waters of Superior, Michigan, and Huron) empties into the Niagara River, then over the Falls and into Ontario.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 11:51 PM

according to climate scientists speculating on places that might get hit less hard by global warming the great lakes region makes the cut. First because of fresh water availablity.lake michigan, etc etc.....secondly because temps are going to rise precariously world wide and its a plus if your summer temps averages are lower and in that area they are, specifically upper wisconin. michigan etc.........maybe not chicago as much.......

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 12:26 AM

R19, Toronto is probably a great option to Chicago (as far as Great Lakes cities go).

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 12:50 AM

It is against the law to ship large quantities of water outside the Great Lakes Basin, by international agreement with Canada, so don't look for Great Lakes water to solve any water problems outside the basin.

[quote] The Great Lakes Compact became effective on December 8, 2008, after final consent from the U.S. Congress. This date began the ban on diversions of water out of the basin, with limited exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Anyone who thinks they can just come and take Great Lakes water needs to forget it. The people here will never allow our environment to be ruined because others chose to live in the middle of the desert. The Great Lakes get mocked a lot so don't come later on thinking it's free water. Most of us are happy the rest of the country doesn't think the northern states having anything to offer. Live in your 100 degree plus states and accept the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2020 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!