Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tlaib: boycott Bill Maher

Again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 3:16 AM

Of course, calling for a boycott of Maher is ridiculous and gives him even more of a bully pulpit. All you have to do is not watch him.

I for one think he's often right but on this he's ridiculously, rabidly pro-Israel to the point of Zionism. He really lost credibility on his latest show with his knee-jerk defense of Israel. He's not usually so stupid and wrongheaded in his positions.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 2:34 PM

I remember Mahers disgusrting rants in favor of Israel on his old show. A new day is coming and soon only Fox News fans will be in favor of the apartheid state.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 2:39 PM

Last night he was literally railing against this idiotic knee-jerk cancel culture. I’ll take Maher any day over this idiot Rashida Tlaib who is just helping with her “squad” to get Trump re-elected. Don’t watch him, but don’t tell me what to do, Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 2:39 PM

That's easy, I've been boycotting by not watching the smug little bastard for years. Mission Accomplished!

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 2:41 PM

He's an extreme ethnic tribalist, the Jewish equivalent of a white nationalist.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 2:44 PM

Tlaib and Omar often remind me of reality TV show contestants who suddenly find themselves in the national spotlight and don't want to give it up.

At this point it's 90% about them and about extending their 15 minutes rather than doing anything to help whatever causes they might believe in.

AOC has always seemed much, much smarter and she seems to be quickly learning that politics is often about the long game.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 2:49 PM

He should invite her on his show to talk about it. If he's always willing to bring on scum like Ann Coulter and other Rethug trash (because in his words "you should always be willing to hear what the other side has to say"), then he should be willing to sit across from Tlaib and air his disagreements with her face-to-face.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 2:51 PM

R6: Better get used to them, they'll be both be re-elected overwhelmingly. And that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 2:56 PM

Has Tlaib done literally anything since she's been elected that was even remotely useful to her district?

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 2:58 PM

The Squad is exhausting and unhelpful.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 3:03 PM

R9: Yawn. 2 months ago it was AOC, now you just replace her name with Talib. You trolls are so fucking lazy.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 3:03 PM

Tlaib and Omar are in the spotlight because they're actually doing what they were elected to do, represent their constituents. That their constituents are for gender equality, justice under the law, nondiscrimination and treating Israel as the state sponsor of terrorism that it is really gets the right going and thinking that making these two plus AOC and Ayanna Pressley the boogeymen of the Republican party is built on a fallacy. Maybe if the Democrats had state-run media to back them up and call them "young guns" or something equally ridiculous would make everyone see that each side has their young stars promoted to excite the base... and the difference is that these Democrats actually are the future of the party, while the Republican's proteges were voted out of office by the teatards or are up to their eyeballs in the Russian conspiracy.

AOC has also been taken under Nancy Pelosi's wing and is being mentored for future leadership. She is, in a word, the future... if the Democrats manage not to eat her while still young, as they are wont to do.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 3:06 PM

I used to be a fan and still watch his show occasionally but it's clear that he has a problem with women.

Next time you see him criticize a celebrity or politician, watch how animated he gets when the person is a woman. He frequently pounded on the table and was quick to shout when talking about Hilary, Palin, and other women but I've never seen him do that when discussing men.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 3:06 PM

Actually, r13, he does--with Trump, to name one man.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 3:08 PM

R13 is insane. Women are not all victims, if you can’t handle it, don’t engage.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 3:09 PM

Is he still calling himself a house nigger?

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 3:10 PM

Tlaib and Omar are a couple of bigoted cunts with nothing to offer except running their ignorant, hate filled mouths. Much like some of the posters on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 3:12 PM

R16 he sho is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 3:13 PM

Whatever you feel, r17, doesn't excuse Maher's rabid pro-Israel stance.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 3:14 PM

R19 I doubt Maher requires your approval for his political and/or personal decisions.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 3:18 PM

How does Tlaib feel about homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 3:21 PM

r20, I didn't say his opinions (on Israel) should be outlawed. I said they're inexcusably, rabid Zionist and stupid. There's a difference, darling.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2019 3:23 PM

R21...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2019 3:23 PM

Maher is not going to last much longer at HBO. He’s a dinosaur and a walking joke.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2019 3:24 PM

R22 = Another bigot running her ugly, ignorant mouth. No difference. And no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 3:26 PM

Aww, someone's ass is chapped. Looking at you, r25.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 3:27 PM

Anti-Jewish bigots always out themselves. You just can't help it, can you R26

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 3:30 PM

r27, spouting the usual "if you criticize Israel you're an anti-Semite" drivel. I am Jewish, you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 3:34 PM

She is Muslim and hates Jews. That's a given. She was given a chance to visit her grandmother as long ad she didn't bad mouth Israel. She chose her hatred of Israel over her grandmother. Very revealing.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2019 3:38 PM

Just put r29 on Ignore and all his racist pro-Trump bullshit (confirmed by the Ignore feature) disappears. It’s a stupid troll.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 3:43 PM

Yes, R29, the best way for pro-Democracy leaders to promote their values and ideals is to demand the "voluntary" surrender of your very First civil right in order to visit your dying grandmother.

Fits right in: the party that claims to revere the family unit and value life is too busy separating families and locking children in cages when they're not making sure that every mentally handicapped lunatic can by unlimited guns to, oh, I dunno, respect and defend our fundamental human rights.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 3:55 PM

R29 One is allowed to badmouth Democracies & visit them.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2019 3:55 PM

R32 is a victim of Trumpian Miscapitalization Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2019 3:58 PM

R28 You're Jew hating scum. No matter what you claim is your ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2019 4:03 PM

Self-hating Jews.

You shouldn't know from them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2019 4:05 PM

Putting r34 on ignore, as I just did, worked wonders. Bye bye to so many asshole posts.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 4:06 PM

When the term "self-loathing Jew" is used, it's been my experience that it only means you don't agree with the person charging you thus. To which I say: fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 4:08 PM

I canceled cable two years ago so I cannot get torqued about this tempest.

For a happier life, I recommend you do the same. Save yourself some money too.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 4:11 PM

Cable isn't the problem. It's the entire country that's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 4:12 PM

r39, I'm not r38, but since I canceled cable (sometime during early Bush II), I've been somewhat happier.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 4:14 PM

Just for the record, the Israeli government reversed their decision and allowed Tlaib to visit her grandmother under the condition she not promote BDS while in the country. She could have gone and talked about it when she got back. And showed some Diplomatic capacity as a stateswoman (as well as seeing her grandmother). She probably could have brought a lot more attention to the BDS movement.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 4:24 PM

R41 It would have been seen as Tlaib not only receiving consideration from Jews, but accepting that consideration, putting Jews in a positive light. Bad optic for Tlaib, whose sole purpose is demonization.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 4:29 PM

Is she kind of the Steve King of the Democrats, on the Israel question anyway?

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 4:30 PM

I knew Tlaib hates Jews. I just didn't know how much she hated Jews.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 4:37 PM

So much for israels claim that they’re a “democracy”.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 4:42 PM

Nothing says "freedom" quite the way censoring a politician's speech does, R41.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 5:23 PM

He's a New Yorker; New Yorkers support Israel.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 5:24 PM

Please! Bill Maher is not the enemy we need to be fighting. Focus people!

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 5:30 PM

That is true, r48! It is I, Lord Xelpheghor, that you should be focused on! Little do you know what I am planning for your puny world! Buahahahahahhaha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 5:48 PM

R26: I find incredibly irritating that everytime someone is critic of the israel government (not even Israel as country) someone claims antisemitism. It's an insult to inteligence

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2019 5:59 PM

Lord Xelpheghor,

Did rimming, all of a sudden, become extremely popular in your far flung galaxy, also?

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2019 6:02 PM

As Maher pointed out, the progressive left gets outraged when Israel bars from entry two vocal opponents of Israel but the same outrage machine is silent about Saudi Arabia barring ALL Jews from entry.

Many of the countries in the Middle East do such things as forbid women from owning property or traveling without a male chaperone. Some of them still require male witnesses and without such witnesses they punish the rape victim.

Israel has faults. So do many countries. But it's telling that the only middle Eastern country that progressives condemn is the Jewish state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2019 6:22 PM

[quote] As Maher pointed out, the progressive left gets outraged when Israel bars from entry two vocal opponents of Israel but the same outrage machine is silent about Saudi Arabia barring ALL Jews from entry.

This 100%

Call it what it is: The Bigotry Of Lowered Expectations.

Israel is a western democracy and is thus considered a "civilized" country with, you know, actual white people and so it's held to a high standard.

Saudi Arabia, which bans not only just Jews, but Christians with an Israeli stamp on their passport, and China, where Amnesty International estimates that over 1 million Uigher Muslims are held in concentration camps, are held to different expectations because they're like not white, not Western and like barely a step up from savages, so what do you expect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2019 6:28 PM

I just don't like Tlaib out of all of them. I totally understand what Omar says and I don't know why the media is sensationalizing it and spinning it out of proportion. Israel isn't a complete saint when it comes to the Palestinians. The Holocaust didn't make Israel get a pass on every single wrong going forward. Calling them on their wrongs doesn't mean you're an anti-semite and there are also Jewish people who seek a two state solution.

I mean, would you not say that there is something wrong with THIS? Israel forcing birth control on Ethiopian Jews? Sending African migrants to Africa. Not exactly the kindest thing to do. Or even shooting water at their own people protesting. I mean they're just people and a government like everyone else but they are the strongest ally of the US in the middle east so there you have it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2019 6:41 PM

The Democrats are going to be thinking about primarying both Tlaib and Omar. They've just become a liability. I also think AOC will probably have a primary candidate running against her as well. Fox News has run the 3 as the new villains since Hillary. As much as the dems wants women in office, these women are not a good look for the party.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2019 6:47 PM

These water canons are dangerous and can kill. People have been sent flying backwards, hitting their head on the pavement and subsequently dying. I wish they would tone down the pressure on these things. When were people not allowed to protest anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2019 6:50 PM

r55 that's precisely why Fox News is branding them as the "face of the Democrat party", which they are not. They are four representatives out of hundreds. I think we should be less concerned about what Republicans are going to say and do in terms of attacking Democrats, because it doesn't matter what Democrats do, Republicans will twist and manufacture stories if none exist.

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2019 7:00 PM

[quote]I also think AOC will probably have a primary candidate running against her as well.

I'd bet money Joe Crowley resurfaces. I imagine he's working the District even now.

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2019 7:08 PM

The squad is being shown on Faux News constantly. They have become a dog whistle for tRump and his minions.

Tlaib needs to STFU

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2019 7:11 PM

Come on people. The entire middle east is a shit hole filled with religious nutters. I hate every single one of their countries

This tlaib bitch did all of this as a stunt. A big fat stunt. She never intended to visit her grandmother. Fuck her for riling everyone up. She is not helping anyone in her district. She is just conducting these stunts for publicity

The average American doesn't give a single fuck about the middle east. I honestly have never heard of anyone in 40 years discussing the middle east in politics. The 30 yrs I lived in NYC, I would hear Jewish people talk about going to Israel for vacation, but never in a political discussion. The problems in America are what everyone has always been worried about. I live in the South now and I doubt that 99% of the people I've met down here can even point to Israel on a map, or even really know anything about it

This whole thing is just a distraction that is making most Americans think the left is crazy

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2019 7:38 PM

[quote] Republicans will twist and manufacture stories if none exist.

That's true, but with "the squad", they don't have to manufacture anything. The squad is the gift that keeps giving to the republicans. Get used to another 4 years with trump. The dems would win if they would just stop talking about immigration, the middle east, free college and start talking about health care for everyone, how vile trump is and how we need to bring the country together. I don't care if they have to make up lies, these are the only things they need to talk about

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2019 7:44 PM

R61 Concern Troll is Concerned!

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2019 7:45 PM

Big Maher fan here. Will always watch. So he's pro- Israel, so isn't Sanders and any other Democrat that hopes to win an election.

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2019 7:54 PM

Bill Maher just isn't that smart. It's not his fault.

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2019 9:16 PM

oh lordy. I think Tlaib has every right to say anything she wants to say, and to visit Israel or the West Bank. But calling for a boycott. Oh just shut up, nobody cares enough to join your boycott. Just don't do stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2019 9:23 PM

[quote] that's precisely why Fox News is branding them as the "face of the Democrat party",

The way I recall that was Rolling Stone, not Fox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 19, 2019 2:29 AM

To my point on a different thread, we completely dodged a bullet when Netanyahu stopped them from going.

Think about it: they would have gone to Israel, said and done a good half dozen controversial things that would be received as gifts by Trump and the GOP.

Pelosi would be in the unfortunate position of having to take them out to the woodshed again as the moderate wing raised hell

And they would have become that much more well known.

Now Trump and Bibi look like the bad guys and if Tlaib and Omar would learn to shut their mouths and not make everything ME ME ME ME,. the whole thing would blow over.

by Anonymousreply 67August 19, 2019 2:34 AM

Good for her.

America has a bizarre obsession with Israel. Pumping BILLIONS of dollars and support into the country when it could actually use the funds directly to support its own citizens: infrastructure, medical support, the environment, etc.

And before the dreaded "anti-semitism" accusations appear, why don't those Jews with an axe to grind over this issue simply go to Israel and support the country directly. That would leave those individuals who are of varied heritages (Jews included), but support The States and not another country by proxy.

I realise that there are twisted connections between the U.S. and Israel (esp. with Trump and Neti). But with other, wiser souls, it doesn't have to be that way.

And Maher is a dolt. Long past his expiration date - followers included.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2019 2:56 AM

r66 nice try, but Fox and Trump have both been pushing that.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2019 10:56 PM

𝐌𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐲𝐜𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐁𝐃𝐒 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐒𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐬

Bill Maher ‏Verified account @billmaher

Some people have one move only: boycott. Cancel. Make-go-away. But here’s the thing, the house voted 318 to 17 to condemn the #BDS movement, including 93% of Dems. Does Tlaib want to boycott 93% of her own party?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2019 4:31 AM

99% of the house can be bought and sold to the highest bidder. It’s the tragedy of modern American politics.

by Anonymousreply 71August 22, 2019 4:53 AM

[quote]Pumping BILLIONS of dollars and support into the country when it could actually use the funds directly to support its own citizens

The US pumps BILLIONS into homo-hating regimes of Afghanistan, Egypt, Jordan, Gaza, the West Bank and Pakistan. However R68's concern for US citizens begins and end solely about Israel. So yes, the anti-Jewish cunt tag in your case is warranted. But then you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2019 4:55 AM

It's kind of funny how this is all she said:

"Maybe folks should boycott his show.

I am tired of folks discrediting a form of speech that is centered on equality and freedom. This is exactly how they tried to discredit & stop the boycott to stand up against the apartheid in S. Africa. It didn't work then and it won't now."

In response to this Tweet which linked to the panel discussion:

"Maher rails against BDS, Palestinians, and Omar/Tlaib with an all-white panel featuring no Palestinians, no Arabs, no Muslims, no people of colour. “Liberal” Maher."

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2019 4:58 AM

R73 I'm as much a "person of color" as Tlaib is and I think she is an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2019 5:47 AM

R74 what you said doesn't really fit with my post.

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2019 5:51 AM

It would be any woman and Fox would hate her. It's what they do.

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2019 6:16 AM

R76 Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 77August 22, 2019 7:23 AM

70, Our congressmen regardless of party are paid to vote with Israel. Bill’s stats are just strengthening Omar’s statements that congress’ blanket unwavering support of Bibi is “all about the Benjamins”.

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2019 2:15 PM

USA Today:

Bill Maher mocks Rashida Tlaib's boycott after they disagree on BDS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2019 3:39 PM

I can't stand Bill Maher, but go Bill!

by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2019 3:45 PM

No one cares what racist Bill Maher thinks. He can go right on sucking Coulter’s cock and defending Steve Bannon. HBO is about to can his ass.

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote]Big Maher fan here. Will always watch. So he's pro- Israel, so isn't Sanders and any other Democrat that hopes to win an election.

Sanders is not pro-Israel and just talked about pulling their funding along with Elizabeth Warren. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 82August 22, 2019 4:57 PM

Where's the proof in that, r81?

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 3:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!