Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Head Lice

I'm 50 and this is my first case of it. I think I was infected during a hotel stay. I didn't realize men could get head lice until it happened to me. I've complained to my female friends, some middle class and some wealthy, and they all sympathized because their children had experienced it, too. Really? Head lice is everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote] I didn't realize men could get head lice until it happened to me.

Really?

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 2:07 PM

I've even heard of head lice in movie theater "stadium seating."

I recently came to the conclusion I had them, after noticing intermittent itching on my scalp, as well as picking off small white things. So I got RID shampoo at Walmart, and so far have used it twice, since it says on the box they can return from eggs in 7-10 days.

Such fun.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 2:07 PM

It happened because you're dirty. My first grade teacher Mrs Clayton always would take the lousy children and make them stand up in front of the class and tell us we should avoid them because they were dirty children. Then she'd send them home.

The school nurse would then come in and pronounce them clean and then say we could stop shunning them.

Don't blame others for your unkempt habits.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 2:07 PM

You thought the lice were misogynists?

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 2:08 PM

I got head lice over 20 years ago while staying in cheap inns in Bahia, Brazil. Lice is ubiquitous in South America. I saw a doctor who gave me a prescription for DDT to apply to my scalp. I decided no to DDT, saved the script to show friends, and bought some over the counter lice treatment.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 2:12 PM

You’re not really a full time gay unless you’ve had the crabs. So yes OP. The majority of us have all had the lice.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 2:15 PM

r3 How must it feel to be so clueless, I wonder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 3:04 PM

shave your HEAD!!

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 3:05 PM

If you have hair, you can get lice. If you can stomach the smell, vinegar is supposed to be pretty effective.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 3:06 PM

White vinegar dissolves the glue that keep the eggs attached to the scalp causing an outbreak.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 3:08 PM

SHAVE IT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 3:13 PM

Our daughter has had lice any number of times (she's in elementary school is an upscale Bay Area neighborhood). Evidently, lice like clean long hair. It's kinda gross - but after a few times, you just deal with it and try to get rid of them as quickly as you can.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 3:15 PM

Was Mary OP engaging in skull-fucking at the Tubs?

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 3:19 PM

Elementary teacher checking in.

As stated above, if you have hair, you can get lice.

It isn’t about hygiene; it’s about exposure. Kids get it a lot because they are in very close contact - as are their hats and coats.

Delousing is a pain. Some people have a harder time than others getting rid of the lice and their eggs.

The linked article recommends keeping kids home from school, which most OTHER families prefer, but when it’s your kid and you have to take off work, the perspective changes quickly. My district actually requests that kids not miss school. We send notifications home to let families know to be on the lookout.

I had one refugee child who got lice and her mother shaved her head and sent her to school in a really wiggy wig - in third grade. But you can see how she’d jump to that solution if she learned how to handle the problem without many resources.

So feel no shame, OP.

And good luck nitpicking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 3:26 PM

Here you go OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 3:41 PM

They send kids to school with lice!? Our school system has a no nits policy; thought that was standard procedure everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 4:13 PM

Love too see how you’d enforce a no nits policy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 4:48 PM

my daughter got it a few years ago and i tried everything to get rid of it. none of the otc stuff worked. i finally had to order some shampoo i saw online. it was the only thing that worked. good luck

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 5:02 PM

The big lice are gone, but now I'm dealing with the nits I guess, little freckles of bugs that pop when you crush them.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 4:50 AM

OP, pick up some Neon Nits. It will help you spot another outbreak, God forbid.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 5:25 AM

R14 I'd like your opinion, when I was a kid, my sisters got lice in our school during a lice outbreak. Lots of kids got them during that outbreak. My mom immediately treated them, and sent them back to school, no problems, but the school called cps on my mom, claiming that she didn't try hard enough to treat the lice. This was complete bullshit and harrassment. We moved to another state shortly after that, but I saw my mother harrassed needlessly like that quite a lot until the move. It's been two decades, but I'd like to see my mom sue. Is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 6:10 AM

I think your question, r21, should be directed to an attorney, but no, I don’t think you’d see any compensation. If it’s any consolation, most principals today would never have allowed a referral to CPS for lice. That is something that should be addressed by the school nurse, but good luck with that, since most nurses, at least in my district, are split up to service multiple schools. We see ours once a week.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Yet another good reason to cut your own hair with a Flowbee.

Head lice. What the fuck?! I thought only poor socio-economic children got the critters.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 1:08 PM

Kerosene, OP. Kerosene.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 1:10 PM

And a match!

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 1:34 PM

How lucky you are, OP. You're never all alone in the world when you have lice.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 1:36 PM

Mayonaisse will suffocate them then a nit comb will get the eggs out.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 1:37 PM

Shave it OFF, mate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 1:44 PM

R17, if you're sent home with lice, before you are allowed back in school, the nurse checks for nits. There was a kid last year who was home for a month; the mother did a piss poor job of treating and they kept regenerating. No nits whatsoever policy.

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2019 9:08 PM

We wanted to infest OP's pubes but his head provided a more pleasant living environment.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2019 9:09 PM

They used to make an especially fine-toothed comb for getting out the nits. I don't know if that's still part of the regimen. This whole thread is making my head itchy, even though I've never had head lice.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2019 9:17 PM

Men can also get breast cancer, OP.

And genital yeast infections.

Better be careful, it's a jungle out there !

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2019 9:25 PM

Not the worst thing that can happen.

At my Nephews school they had an outbreak of Scabies. Now that's horrible and difficult to treat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2019 10:07 PM

Lice are job creators!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2019 10:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!