Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump Administration Asks Supreme Court to Permit Employment Discrimination Against Transgender

The Trump administration’s Department of Justice is asking the Supreme Court to set a legal precedent that would enable employers to fire employees because they are transgender.

The Department of Justice has submitted a brief to the Court Friday asking the Justices to rule that Title VII, a federal law that prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion or national origin, does not protect transgender people. The department argued that they should throw out a lower court ruling that found that a funeral home that fired a transgender woman had discriminated against her.

The brief concerns R.G. & G.R. Harris Funeral Homes Inc. v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, one of three cases that the Supreme Court agreed to hear earlier this year that concern whether Title VII can be applied to LGBTQ workers.

In the case, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit found that the owner of the funeral home, Thomas Rost, had violated the law when he fired Aimee Stephens, a transgender woman who worked for the company from 2007 to 2013. According to court documents, Stephens sent the company a letter in 2013 that said she struggled with a “gender identity disorder” and planned to begin to live as a woman, including by wearing the company’s female uniform – a jacket and skirt – instead of a suit and tie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2019 2:32 PM

Well, whadya know? Trump would have a lot of supporters in the anti-trans lobby of loons on DL. I always thought the loons had something in common with him. This proves it.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 6:03 AM

[quote]transgender woman had discriminated against her

Speaking of loons, a man in a frock and a bit of slap is not a woman. It's a MAN. Only the blind and regressive believe otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 6:06 AM

That's fucked up. No, no one be sacked or constantly under threat of it just because they're trans. Aren't there any enforceable anti-sexism laws re: employment in USA? Because they ought to cover people who are trans-identified, or who otherwise don't happen to fit within the prevailing stereotypes and expectations of the time. There's no good reason a woman should be forced to wear makeup and high heels for work, and there's no reason a man should face being fired for wearing heels and makeup- so long as it's not a health and safety issue for his job.

That said, he's not a woman, even if he really wants to be, thinks he is, or says he is. Male and female workers deserve the option for privacy, dignity and safety of sex-segregated bathrooms, and anywhere else they're pissing, sleeping [eg overnight quarters] or undressing.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 7:20 AM

R2 is a bigot.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 7:28 AM

Being trans and non-binary are fads.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 9:05 AM

If you can do your job, that should be the end of it. People shouldn’t be fired because of what they are.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 9:12 AM

Sounds like a GREAT idea to me! Who wants a fucking perverted lunatic as a co-worker?

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 9:15 AM

What’s Trump voter asshole cunt Caitlyn Jenner have to say about this? The fucking stupid bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 9:24 AM

Jenner wouldn't give a fuck. He's as libertarian as Dump ie. Totally. Until it inconveniences him.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 9:28 AM

R4 Refusing to pander to the whim and fantasy of another is NOT bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 9:29 AM

Both r5 and r6 are correct

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 9:30 AM

Not that I'm an employer but if I was I would want the best person for the job and I don't give a fuck about their gender - the best person for a job is always the best person period! What's between the legs has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 9:33 AM

Caitlyn Jenner may be a woman now but still thinks like a White Privileged Republican with a penis.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 9:43 AM

This is the Republicans way of baiting the Democrats to focus on transgendered people which cannot get us the majority in Congress rather than talk about healthcare and the impending Trump Recession.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 9:45 AM

This is good news for Dunaway!

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 9:50 AM

[quote]but still thinks like a White Privileged Republican with a penis.

That's because that's exactly what Jenner is.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 9:51 AM

I thought Jenner’s pee pee was cut off?

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 9:55 AM

This is a bullshit angle on the story. It's not just trans he wants to discriminate against. It's gays and women and anyone whose body falls under the umbrella of a sex/gender that isn't straight cis-male.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 9:56 AM

Sensible employers nowadays do through interviews BEFORE hiring anyone. They should be able to detect in the interview if the potential employee is cray-cray. (Or potentially cray-cray)

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 9:59 AM

[quote]Caitlyn Jenner is an autogynephiliac murderer who would/will never cut off his dick, because he jacks it thinking about how he's just as beautiful as his daughters (except Kong, of course)

Fixed it for you, R13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 10:13 AM

Caitlyn Jenner is insufferable.

How many women that age get complimented on their looks ... from straight men who aren't gerontophiles?

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 10:16 AM

Climate change is having devastating effects. Democracy is under attack. Corporate corruption is out of control. But the shitheads are focused on perpetuating transgender hate.

The 'Mother' piglets invade a lot of DL threads with lies and raging about a minute sliver of society.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2019 10:18 AM

Transgendered hate is the Republicans way of ensuring the Evangelical vote.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2019 11:06 AM

I identify as Matt Dillon's underwear.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2019 11:15 AM

Trump wants to dump any anti discrimination laws he can, starting with the ones he thinks he can get away with.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 11:19 AM

Honestly I think the trans people are pretty nuts, but aren't there laws protecting the employment of people with mental illnesses? Even I don't think it's right for people to be fired just for being "trans."

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 11:36 AM

I wonder how LGBTQ Trump supporters feel now?

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 11:42 AM

What r26 said.

I've seen a lot of similarities between the trans fad and the multiple personality disorder/suppressed memories fad of the 1980s. Like the latter, I imagine the former will blow over, sooner or later.

But whether or not they're truly gender dysphoric, or mentally ill, or not -- everyone is entitled to basic dignity and respect. Attacking the trans movement is one thing; attacking individual trans people is something else entirely.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 11:44 AM

[quote]Even I don't think it's right for people to be fired just for being "trans."

Doesn't it depend on the job? E.g., professional athletes and locker room attendants?

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2019 11:53 AM

And yet the Log Cabins Just endorses Trump for re-election because he “fulfilled his promises to LGBT”...

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 12:10 PM

The definition of who fits within the protected classes is important and may require the courts to clarify. Obviously the inclusion of T in the LGB has been a subject of much discussion on DL, and similarly, where does T fit in the law can be considered an open issue.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 12:19 PM

[quote]Caitlyn Jenner, formerly known as Bruce, was one of the most beloved athletes of the 1970s and a gold medal-winning track star who set a world record in the decathlon at the 1976 Summer Olympics.

I don't like much of Jenner's Republican political views, especially on economics and candidate choices. Jenner's careless/distracted driving in part led to a fatality. I never watched the Kardashian reality TV trash.

Jenner's choice to transgender is fundamentally her business. Jenner is a celebrity, thus her lifestyle, fame, wealth, business and social contacts, are not typical of the vast majority of people, and certainly not the small fraction of society that are transgender. And transgenders are not homogenous in multiple dimensions, and stereotypic labeling can be cruel and discriminating.

Jenner was an outstanding athlete in the mid-70s. Jenner earned the notoriety with skill and determination. Few have matched that, and I respect Jenner for the incredible athletic success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2019 12:21 PM

Sounds like they are going out of their way to stick it to trannies.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2019 12:26 PM

[quote] And transgenders are not homogenous

Oh yes they most certainly are! They are ALL men who are medically mutilating themselves to replicate the worst socially-inculcated stereotypes of women.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2019 12:26 PM

[quoteOh yes they most certainly are! They are ALL men who are medically mutilating themselves to replicate the worst socially-inculcated stereotypes of women.

Stop worrying about. Doubtful any of them are focused on your old virgin cooch. Same what other lesbians would think, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2019 12:34 PM

r33, you have to admit that having a person at work who is wearing a dress but looks like a man could be somewhat disruptive in some situations and that employers have an interest in that.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 12:34 PM

Considering how many said they would vote for Trump, r1, there was never any doubt.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 12:48 PM

Once again biology 1 o 1. A male can never be a woman and a woman can never me a male. That taxpayers money is spent for them to slice and dice their bodies is a waste. That laws are passed to make sane people call the mentally ill the correct pronoun? WTH? A prospective employer that would interview one and doesn't him one, they open themselves to a lawsuit by them claiming sexual discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 1:07 PM

The problem with this is that employers will abuse it.

I know a woman with an unusual name, which sounds male, who was accused of being trans because of her name. She is not trans. Some religious bigot at a government office just decided a female couldn’t possibly have that name. She looks female. They called the police on her and tried to have her arrested, for “lying on a government form,” which is a serious offense. Luckily, the police weren’t buying it.

She offered to provide a letter from a gynecologist saying she was female (she’s given birth) and they wouldn’t allow it and threw her out. If that was the welfare office, would they deny benefits for “lying”? You sign those forms under penalty of perjury. If they catch you lying you will be banned from receiving benefits for life.

Do you want to be at the mercy of narrow minded, ignorant deplorables with an axe to grind? What if one of them decides any masculine looking woman is trans, any effeminate gay man is trans? Once something like that gets on your record it is hell to get off.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 1:13 PM

r25 is right. And if anyone here thinks permitting employment discrimination will end with trans people and LGB people are immune--think again. This will open a floodgate of discrimination, especially with the Supreme Court being stacked with right-wing justices. It starts with the easiest target of all and will only get worse.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 1:13 PM

MtF trans will be in demand for jobs that require a quota of women but require a lot of upper body strength.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 1:21 PM

And what kinds of jobs are those exactly, r41?

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 1:24 PM

Russian troll farm operatives impersonate blacks, black transgenders for Trump, radical feminists, immigrants, etc., that gravitate to messaging to support Trump. Keep such in mind.

[quote]“I am a black trans woman and after this amazing speech tonight I proudly say I support Donald Trump my President,” user “BlackTransQween” wrote, using a profile picture of a black transgender woman. “We need to get behind this man. “BlackTransQween” also tweeted against immigration and gender options on driver licenses."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 1:45 PM

Not sure I’m buying the story at R39. The police come and arrest you if a co-worker says you lied on a government form? And why would a woman with a man’s name (not completely unheard of) offer to get a gynecologist’s note instead of saying, “Fuck you,” and suing her employer for creating a hostile work environment?

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 1:57 PM

A few years ago I had a female student named Wilson who got hassled by the government because ‘he’ didn’t sign up for the draft. All it took was a phone call and a letter to clear things up.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 2:07 PM

A vendor sent a rep to my workplace who is obviously a man in a dress. He does not pass at all. No woman would come into the workplace with her hair wrecked like that — the dude had a rat’s nest in a pony tail. He was taller & bigger than the other two men the vendor sent with him. He was a dude in a dress.

The ladies on my team...were confused. They assumed he’d use the single user stalls, but one ran into him in the Ladies room. He was washing his hands, and she said she was tempted to walk out. She instead went to a stall & waited for him to leave. She said she didn’t want to undo her pants to pee as long as he was in there, and apparently she claims that her bladder won’t relax enough to pee as long as a man is in the room.

Women don’t want to pee with men in the room. I get that. Nobody can or should try to change their minds about this. I feel bad about my coworker...she’s a good person & doesn’t deserve to feel uncomfortable in the workplace bathroom. I was more upset than she was...I urged her to complain to someone, but she doesn’t want to cause trouble.

IMO, it’s very disrespectful to women for “transwomen” to use women’s bathrooms. Especially ones who don’t pass...they’re basically cross-dressers. Many women have been assaulted by men. There’s a reason they don’t feel safe in vulnerable spaces with men.

Also, my company closes the women’s restroom when a male janitor is in there. Why are they vigilant about male janitors but not cross dressers?

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 3:18 PM

r43, they're all over lipstick alley.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 3:36 PM

Just like all the other trans threads, this thread is nothing but catnip for hateful bigots.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 4:00 PM

Pretty much, r48.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 4:12 PM

There are a lot of positions on the spectrum between "hateful bigot" and "100% on board with all things trans", r48.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2019 5:40 PM

Your coworker would have gotten written up by HR If she’d complained.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote] Sounds like they are going out of their way to stick it to trannies.

God, if only! Men are usually too intimidated by my beauty to stick it to me.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2019 6:15 PM

R50, I don't see much in all these threads besides "Fuck the trannies" level opinions, so I'm sticking with hateful bigots.

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2019 8:42 PM

Please see r28, r53

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2019 9:10 PM

[Quote] Obviously the inclusion of T in the LGB has been a subject of much discussion on DL, and similarly, where does T fit in the law can be considered an open issue.

A supportive president and party makes a huge difference. Under Obama, T saw a huge expansion towards equality— from bathroom rights to serving in the army.

Under Trump, because his evangelicals hate LGBT and he wants to divide the LGBT constituency, all that expansion has now shrunk

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2019 9:11 PM

This is not just about Trans. The Trump DOJ also submitted an amicus brief saying that gays have no rights to keep a job.

It was the case of the gay skydiving instructor who was fired for being gay. Trump’s DOJ came out for firing LGBT is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2019 9:13 PM

[Quote] Once again biology 1 o 1. A male can never be a woman and a woman can never me a male.

Sorry to break it to you, but male and female are extraordinarily close biologically. As you know, in a number of species, they can even change if necessary (like seahorses).

The idea of trans isn’t so far fetched once you understand the underlying biology

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2019 9:16 PM

[Quote] Once again biology 1 o 1. A male can never be a woman and a woman can never me a male.

Sounds just like the reasoning we hear about gays. “Biology 101, men can only be attracted to women and women to men. How else would we get babies?”

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2019 9:18 PM

[Quote] Jenner's choice to transgender is fundamentally her business

Did you choose your gender?

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2019 9:19 PM

We argue Trans rights as if gay rights aren’t the next on the list to try and kill

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2019 9:20 PM

R57, where do babies come from?

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2019 9:58 PM

That's what I've been saying, r60--and so is r56. If anyone applauds this, they'll be watching their own rights go next. Trans rights are "easy" and set a precedent to get rid of L and G and B.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2019 10:16 PM

*Trans rights are "easy" to get rid of

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2019 10:16 PM

I’m not buying your story, R39.

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote]A supportive president and party makes a huge difference. Under Obama, T saw a huge expansion towards equality— from bathroom rights to serving in the army.

If equality isn’t firmly rooted in the Constitution or in statute it can be very fragile. Presidents take short cuts to boost their popularity with certain communities, but that doesn’t necessarily help in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2019 11:28 PM

Gays and lesbians will be next you loons.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2019 11:35 PM

^ Thanks to the Trojan horse.

LGBTQIA2S+ = the left’s “climate deniers”

by Anonymousreply 67August 19, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote]Transgendered hate is the Republicans [sic] way of ensuring the Evangelical vote.

No, honey, hatred of trannies is instinctive, logical, and intelligent.

Every single creature on Earth that has a spinal cord is either a male or a female (except for maybe a dozen or so, totalling about 0.0001% of all species). It's the way it is, period.

It's natural to want to know what sex someone is, both because our society is still mostly divided by sex and because seeing a person whose genetic sex is unclear or obstructed is disturbing.

I'm sorry for that trannies that legitimately believe they are the opposite "gender"; mental illness is always difficult, even when society is accepting of your specific brand of crazy. But note that 95+% of trannies are actually autogynephiles who are just gross perverts, which makes it even more wrong!

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2019 6:41 AM

Is Caitlyn eating shit right now?

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2019 7:08 AM

We’re mammals, not seahorses. People are either egg producers or sperm producers.

Turns out that the egg producers don’t want sperm producers in their vulnerable spaces or their sports leagues. If the sperm producers had better manners they would understand that and leave us alone.

It’s not that complicated.

by Anonymousreply 70August 19, 2019 8:08 AM

[quote]hatred of trannies is instinctive, logical, and intelligent

This is just disgusting. You see the exact same thing on white supremacist websites, said about blacks usually, but those Klanners hate gays, Jews and anyone of color the same way.

It's sickening that far-right fascist scum think Datalounge is their home. It's even more irritating because they post the same things here that they post on reddit, Kiwi Farms, Mumsnet, GenderTrnder, Twitter, and other forums. Why do it here, too?

by Anonymousreply 71August 19, 2019 8:18 AM

[quote]you have to admit that having a person at work who is wearing a dress but looks like a man could be somewhat disruptive in some situations

This coming from someone who has most definitely called multiple people "snowflakes."

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2019 8:22 AM

Hyperbole much, r71?

Martina Navratilova is not "far-right fascist scum." Kathleen Stock and Rebecca Tuvel are not "far-right fascist scum."

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2019 8:23 AM

R71, bathrooms are segregated based on biological sex. It’s impossible to change sex. Allowing men in what used to be women-only spaces is dangerous to women.

Quit using gay rights as a shield for pervs.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2019 10:35 PM

"No, honey, hatred of trannies is instinctive, logical, and intelligent."

So r68 first claims that hatred is "instinctive" (no, it isn't), logical (again, no) and intelligent (hardly--if that were the case, then Hitler would have been a genius). Then r68 claims the real problem with trans people is mental illness. So they should be hated for their mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2019 11:36 PM

There are many people who hate gay men and women and to them, it's instinctive, logical, and intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2019 11:38 PM

Hatred is "learned"--it's not at all instinctive. What an absurd, stupid notion. Was there an instinctive hatred of Jews or was it steeped in propaganda and lies? Are children instinctively hateful toward any group or do they have to be told to hate? Of course they have to be.

by Anonymousreply 77August 21, 2019 12:05 AM

And if hatred were "logical," then everyone who hates gay men and women could excuse their hatred as logical and instinctive to them--at least according to r68's thinking.

by Anonymousreply 78August 21, 2019 12:21 AM

There are TRAs or "allies" in this thread implying everyone other than they, "hates" trans, and is happy to see them sacked for being trans, and I'm wondering why they choose to ignore the people who've said straight out that should not happen. Doesn't fit TRA narrative of the evil, "privileged" 'cis gays' literally killing 'most oppressed in all the land" , so it's invisible ?

by Anonymousreply 79August 21, 2019 6:41 AM

R79, you don't have to use codewords like "tra" or "tim" here, you can say trans or tranny :)

But yes, excellent point!

by Anonymousreply 80August 21, 2019 10:36 AM

One thing I do know, Caitlin Jenner is not, and never will be a woman. Jenner chose to become trans. That does not "a woman make", even with surgery.

by Anonymousreply 81August 21, 2019 10:49 AM

[quote]This is the Republicans way of baiting the Democrats to focus on transgendered people which cannot get us the majority in Congress rather than talk about healthcare and the impending Trump Recession.

This, so much this. R14 has it.

by Anonymousreply 82August 21, 2019 2:00 PM

Thanks, R80 TRA " is just the acronym for Trans Rights Activists.

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 6:09 AM

Like clockwork. All you douches who hate trans people--here's your future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2019 10:06 PM

"The filing came exactly one week after the administration argued the same for transgender workers."

by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2019 10:10 PM

Tick tock.

by Anonymousreply 86August 23, 2019 10:12 PM

So, all you stupid cunts who act so entitled in your hatred--you're next.

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2019 10:15 PM

Don't TERFs have their own sites to spread hate among their nasty selves?

by Anonymousreply 88August 24, 2019 1:40 AM

Terf is a slur. People who believe it’s possible to change sex are brainwashed. T is homophobic & misogynistic.

Men are welcome to wear dresses, wigs & bras. But they are still men. And they do not belong in women’s spaces.

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2019 2:23 PM

Bingo, R14. And they take the bait every time.

by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2019 2:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!