Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Selling books on eBay

Is it still worth doing this? I have a shit ton of books inherited from 3 households as well as my own. Many are out of print and not available as an eBook but it would all depend on whether anyone would want to buy them or not I suppose. I don't really have time to catalogue everything and price it accordingly so I was considering parceling them up in 2kg lots and and putting them up for sale.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 8:40 PM

ps I have only sold two things on eBay, out of print CDs that I sold $25 and $80 dollars respectively. I doubt my books - most of which are paperbacks and not special editions - would go for anywhere that much amount. I have already donated some to charity and sorted my favourites to keep that I may reread in the future, but frankly I don't have the space and I need the money.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 5:01 PM

See what they're selling for on Amazon Marketplace to give yourself an idea of their value, then price yours for less. It's a lot easier to sell on Amazon, though individual sellers are prohibited in certain categories. I don't know if books is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 5:02 PM

If you need the money, I suggest sitting down with a pile of books and a laptop and looking them up on Amazon. If they're selling for pennies, put them in the donation pile. If they're selling for a decent amount, look them up on eBay, too. If the price is worthwhile on eBay, list it. Make sure you include costs for shipping them Media Mail.

You can get through a pretty decent pile of books in an hour. Do it a few times a week and you'll be done in no time. Keep them listed on eBay until they sell.

Make sure you price them enough that it'll cover both packing materials (envelopes and bubble wrap) plus roughly 25% that goes to eBay and Paypal fees.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 5:05 PM

Thanks for the advice r2 and r3. I am in Australia, so Amazon Marketplace isn't really an option, though.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 5:16 PM

Donate to the aborigines and deadly animals

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 5:49 PM

You can ship media rate, which is pretty cheap.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 5:51 PM

International shipping would be a problem as it is hugely expensive and people would only pay it for something special, so your market is in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 5:57 PM

Media rate takes four weeks. I made that mistake once

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 6:00 PM

pmbt lives!!!

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 6:00 PM

They are worthless.

Donate them.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 6:01 PM

If you're in the US, you can try Powell's bookstore. They have a sell your books section and will pay postage to ship them. You may not get a whole bunch of money, but you can get store credit or cash to paypal.

It's a wonderful bookstore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 6:06 PM

I add any paperbacks which are not good enough to sell to the shelves of the patients lounge at the local rehab hospital a few times a year.

The slightly racy ones are very popular with the older men. Jilly Cooper goes down a treat.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 8:01 PM

Most places won't even take them. My friend lived in Chicago and she couldn't give them to the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, numerous homeless shelter and the Chicago Library wouldn't take them either.

Shipping means unless you have a rare collector's edition, it's not worth it to even try to sell it, as you won't break even.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 8:04 PM

I would donate them. I have donated thousands of books, including to prisoners. There's an organization in my city that handles that. The main books the prisoners wanted were gay books, popular detective fiction, and paperback cookbooks.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 8:08 PM

Do you have craigslist, or an equivalent, in Australia?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 8:10 PM

Yes, we have gumtree. That’s a thought, actually.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 8:13 PM

the paperbacks, especially recent ones (past 20 years) or mass market ones that have not turned yellow, you can just recycle. will that cut into the pile quite a bit?

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 8:27 PM

I want to make money, even if it’s $1 per book that’s $2000 for me.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 8:35 PM

Here's a really cute booktuber whose collection probably has over 10,000 books in his collection, including mass market paperbacks. I can not figure out how he's had the chance to read most of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!