Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An Instant Pot Is Better Than a Grill, Say Top Cooks—Even for Burgers

Do you have and Instant Pot? I hear raves about these things.

Look for the summer’s most dedicated cooks, and you will probably find them at the grill. But you might not want to hang out there with them too long: it’s a hot, often buggy place to be. (And there are so many rules.)

Now, a group of ardent cooks is touting an alternate place to create some of summer’s standout dishes: their Instant Pot. Melissa Clark, the New York Times columnist whose latest cookbook is Comfort In an Instant, happily stays away from outdoor open flames. “It’s scorching out where the grill is, cool in the kitchen where my Instant Pot is. I can’t imagine doing long barbecued meats like ribs and pork shoulder on the grill ever again,” she says. “The only thing the grill is really better for is quick-cooking things that you want to char. Downside, you have to hang out with your ingredients while they char. Maybe char is overrated.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2019 2:32 AM

I do all my cooking in my Neti Pot.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 3:53 PM

That would explain those nasty sinus infections, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 4:02 PM

Instant pots are great for everything from roasts to yogurt, beans and bone broth. Burgers tho?

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 4:17 PM

Has anybody tried cooking fish in one? We need to eat more of it but it stinks up the house.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 4:30 PM

Fish has a delicate texture, Instant pots are good for the opposite, things like tough roasts and dried beans.

Try salmon with veg in parchment paper packets in the oven. Take out the trash after. Put out a bowl of white vinegar. You should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 1:53 PM

The Ninja Foodi is an instant pot with another lid that is an air fryer. So you can crisp up the stuff you've pressure-cooked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote]bone broth

When did saying "bone broth" instead of "stock" or merely "broth" become a thing?

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 3:49 PM

I want one of those thing the Mommies used to infomercial for.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 4:00 PM

To me it is a different thing, R7, for example, I add vinegar to my bone broth but do not with stock. Bone broth was traditionally cooked longer and has a different consistency than stock, the goal is to get minerals and collagen out of the bones. I know it as a Paleo thing, actually. It often involves roasting the bones, which I do not do if making chicken stock. If you have not had bone broth perhaps it would be easy to think they are the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 5:21 PM

That looks nifty, R6!

I do like to cook in the oven quite a bit, even using it to make bone broth if I am home for a spell. That said, these gadgets are nifty. It used to be that during a reno you had a hot plate and a griddle.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 5:23 PM

Just don't leave your rice cookers in the subway, darling.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 5:47 PM

I prefer pressure cookers in the subway. Rice cookers don't do shit.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 5:53 PM

I thought about getting one but a lot of Amazon reviewers said they broke within a year. They're pretty pricey for a small appliance that breaks so easily.

I'll probably try one when the prices drop significantly.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 6:26 PM

I got a Duo on Amazon Prime Day. They were also heavily discounted around Black Friday. Defo do not pay full price. That said, have had mine for around 18 months and it is still going but I do not use it heavily.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 6:35 PM

I am looking at them right now. What about this problem of steam release? It sounds a little hot and steamy under your cabinets.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 7:49 PM

I have a great pressure cooker. I also have a good slow cooker that I never use. What does this pot do that the pressure cooker and slow cooker do not?

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 7:56 PM

r16 They can sauté, make yogurt, rice, etc.

Supposedly stovetop pressure cookers are better since they can get hotter and cook even faster than an electric one.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 8:12 PM

How do you get the charred taste for burgers in an Instant Pot?

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 9:16 PM

I guess you could by using the sauté function -- but why would you bother? You're not going to use the pressure cooker function to cook them, so why dirty up an Instant Pot to cook something you could do in a skillet or on a griddle?

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 11:16 PM

Thanks R17. I appreciate the information. I don't think the Instant pot is for me though. I have a stove top Fagor pressure cooker that is at least 12 years old and looks and works like new. I've never gotten a bad meal from it. I've gotten plenty using standard pots and pans, on the stove and in the oven. So, it's not that I'm such a good cook but that the pressure cooker is that good. It's a little hard to clean or I would use it for almost everything. The rubber ring has to be oiled after each use or it will end up cracking.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2019 2:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!