Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar revote take 2 1969 Best Supporting Actress

interesting year

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 10:46 AM

Gee Catherine Burns is in last place. That was a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 1:15 AM

I read the producer Irwin Winkler's recent memoir ("A Life at the Movies") and he has some good stories about "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" He and Susannah York's agent (Freddie Fields) clashed over arranging a stop date for her so she could go to Scotland to shoot "Brotherly Love". York was caught in the middle, and, at one point, refused to leave her trailer. At the end of the shoot:

York was so embittered about what had happened, and although she realized she'd given a great performance, she sent instructions that she wanted no publicity or no campaign for her to get an Oscar nomination. As it turned out, she was nominated, flew to Hollywood for the Academy Awards, and apologized to me and everyone else involved. She said that it was one of the finest performances she ever gave and she was really quite proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 1:54 AM

I read that book too r3. I forget but didn't they initially cast someone else in York's role? Who?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 1:56 AM

How did Goldie Hawn win? Were the votes among the others close enough that she slipped through? Was it just goodwill from Laugh In?

I think she's a very underrated actress, but this isn't even close to being one of her best performances. Even she thought she didn't stand a chance, which is why she didn't go.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 2:08 AM

R3 Yes, James Poe, who wrote the first draft of the screenplay (later all but abandoned), wanted Winkler to cast his own girlfriend in the role that went to York. Winkler refused, but in his memoir he doesn't name the actress Poe wanted. Poe married the British actress Barbara Steele in 1969, and IMDB says that's who he wanted for the role. She had been typecast in low-budget horror movies through the 60s, so it would have been a chance for her to breakthrough in an A-list movie.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 2:09 AM

Goldie Hawn won the Golden Globe too. I guess people liked the performance.

*Goldie Hawn Cactus Flower Marianne McAndrew Hello, Dolly! Siân Phillips Goodbye, Mr. Chips Brenda Vaccaro Midnight Cowboy Susannah York They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 2:23 AM

I don't know if I would vote for her, but Catherine Burns was great in Last Summer. I hope it gets a proper release one of these days.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 3:09 AM

[quote]Even she thought she didn't stand a chance, which is why she didn't go.

She didn't go because she was in another country working. She was in England shooting her second picture "There's A Girl In My Soup" and didn't know she could ask off to go. She came the next year and announced George C Scott as winner for Patton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 3:23 AM

Catherine Burns all the way. Stunning performance.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 3:30 AM

Catherine Burns never went anywhere with her career. must be a mind fuck to hit that high so fast and then nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 10:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!