Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If smoking weren't dangerous, would you do it?

I smoked in college. Mostly when out with friends but, in the end, I'd smoke whenever and often. It's been nearly 15 years since I quit and I haven't missed it a day. Except the last year, when I've found myself in social circles with monied, successful, traveled, interesting people,, casually smoking as if it were the early 1990s. I've been smoking a cigarette a night on Friday and Saturday nights when I'm around these smokers, and I look forward to it each week.. Is there a threshold for when the real damage occurs? I really enjoy it and would do it every day if there were no health consequences.

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2020 6:11 AM

No. It would have to not be addictive, too.

It stinks and is expensive. Maybe once or twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 4:25 AM

Most definitely. When I've smoked I love the taste, smell and feel. The only reason I don't do it so for the health reasons.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 4:25 AM

Be careful! Next you will be mainlining smack while sleeping under a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 4:25 AM

R3 - and prostituting yourself for half-smoken cigarette butts. It could happen!

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 4:29 AM

Smoking is gross but I loved it.

If only it were a health tonic!

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 4:29 AM

No. Gross. The smell. Yuck. It surprises me though how many people still smoke.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 4:33 AM

I was 50 pounds lighter when I smoke. I miss those size 31 jeans.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 4:36 AM

It smells bad, and makes your clothes smell bad.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 4:39 AM

Of course.

Smoking: The taste is unbeatable!

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 4:40 AM

No. It makes you really stinky and your teeth yellow. Why would I want to cultivate new bad habits that don’t have much upside?

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 4:42 AM

"Dangerous" be damned. I smoked for more than 60 years, and despite my current condition, still had a career bigger than Dylan or Cohen, on a par with van Gogh and Edison and Picasso.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 4:45 AM

And I loved my cigs too.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 4:47 AM

[quote]No. It makes you really stinky and your teeth yellow.

That's not what I'm saying. I mean occasionally social smoking. One or two per week. The effects of that have to be less serious than a life of full-time smoking.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 4:50 AM

I still enjoy up to three per day. I drink, eat meat, and engage in other hazards which may have dreadful consequences (including living in the US). I live to enjoy my life.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 4:57 AM

I do. Once a week I smoke a two pack of cigars.

It's how I gave up cigarettes. If I bought a pack of cigs, I smoked them til they were gone. So I made a deal with myself, a cigar pack once a week.

I love the smell, the taste, the blue smoke. Love it, love it, love it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 5:02 AM

I love the ways the smoke curls.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 5:02 AM

No. It took me forever to quit, but I'm so glad I did. It will be 20 years next February. It's so nice not to have an addiction and not to stink like smoke. Plus, I don't honk up snot when I laugh anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 5:07 AM

I was always a very light smoker. Quit in my 40s for over 4 years. I went on great trips where they were all smoking and had a few. It's always a temptation. I won't live forever and do enjoy it. No one ever told me I smelled like smoke. I actually enjoy walking behind a smoker. It's a tough one to beat. I asked a gal in Istanbul to blow smoke in my face because I just wanted to feel it. It's so seductive and sexy and, I guess ,wrong.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 5:13 AM

Smoking is fun. Shaking the cig out of the pack is fun. Offering someone a cigarette from your elegant cigarette case is even more fun. Lighting it is fun. Tapping off the ashes is fun. The smoke curling in the air (R16) is fun. Stubbing it out can be fun, although the stubborn ones that don't want to go out are annoying.

You get used to the smell. Ask anyone who was around in the '70s. In every gay bar, at every private party, the air was blue with smoke. I'm sure it was even worse in the '60s and before. The smell was so ubiquitous, you didn't really notice. (I'm sure non-smokers noticed, but they managed to live with it, mostly without complaint because complaining would have been like complaining that water was wet.) After parties, people opened all the windows to air out the smokiness. Your clothes smelled of smoke, but so did everyone else's, and, anyway, you washed or dry-cleaned your clothes regularly.

Also, smoking was something to occupy your hands and yourself. If you're not an outgoing person, you could occupy yourself at a party by standing in a corner smoking and looking glamorous. If you were depressed, you could sit and stare out the window, smoking and listening to sad music.

Unfortunately, smoking is very bad for you, so I quit some years ago. I don't have cravings for cigarettes, except occasionally when watching an old movie, but I'd start again in a second if it magically stopped being unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 5:26 AM

It's not dangerous, so I do it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 5:27 AM

I always loved pealing off that cellophane string when opening a pack of cigs. It doubled as dental floss too.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 5:31 AM

Yes, I'd smoke, if it weren't dangerous and, now, so damn expensive. Used to smoke 20 to 25 cigs per day, depending on whether I was drinking or not (an extra 5 cigarettes or so if drinking).

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 5:33 AM

Well, I smoke around 6 cigs a day and have never smoked more. I am 78, have arthritis, hip replacements, 6 surgeries. I am sure not to last more than 20 years so I am definitely not doing any more sacrificing. I like wine and cookies also. Hate lettuce and gave up eating it. Keep ice cream on hand. I am not fat and enjoy life, as unpleasant as it has become. I find most people boring. I fortunately do not have to put up with bores to make a living. Cancelled my cable and have barebone local news and reruns. I am a big reader, TV pay for view is low on things I wish to watch. I have Netflix for free.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 5:50 AM

I can tell you that whenever I see someone smoking, I immediately cross them off my list as a potential friend or lover. I don't know that it's only once a week; for all I know, they smoke in the shower.

Most non-smokers feel the same.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 5:53 AM

"Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray" - that was one of the slogans used in Australia in the 1970s the try to get people to stop smoking.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 5:55 AM

No, I gave it up after my Mom died (emphysema), and I don't miss it. I avoid any situations where I might encounter it, but it's impossible to avoid in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 6:26 AM

Fuck, no. It smells awful, gives me a headache, and makes my throat and mouth burn. I wouldn't mind getting back to size 31 pants, but not so much that I'd pick up smoking again.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 7:24 AM

No. It's still gross and stinks.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 8:33 AM

You DO understand that you have to smoke even when you don’t have time, right?

This is self medication for poor people. I don’t want you to understand it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 9:37 AM

What's so.great abiut smoking? Everything! I like the way a fresh firm pack feels in my hand. I like peeling away that little piece of cellophane and seeing it twinkle in the light. I like coaxing that first sweet cylinder out of its hiding place and bringing it slowly up to my lips. Striking a match, watching it burst into a perfect little flame and knowing that soon that flame will be inside me. I love the first puff, pulling it into my lungs. Little fingers of smoking filling me, caressing me, feeling that warmth penetrate deeper and deeper, until I think I'm going to burst! Then - whoosh! - watching it flow out of me in a lovely, sinuous cloud, no two ever quite the same.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 9:53 AM

Thanks r30. That was one of my favorite Frasier episodes every.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 10:02 AM

Speaking of which, you’re stuck with having sex with other smokers. Non-smokers do not understand mid-sex smoke breaks.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 10:58 AM

R32, they also don't understand the sophisticated joy of smoking in the dark, side-by-side with someone you've just had amazing sex with.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 11:52 PM

If I live to 80, I will give myself permission to take up smoking again, *if I want to.*

And drinking Scotch too. Again, if I want to.

I might not want to to resume either vice, but knowing I can if I want to is a comfort.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2019 12:00 AM

I’m saving opiates and cocaine for my seventies.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2019 1:05 PM

Does anyone remember Frasier's agent speech about the joy of smoking? It was amazing. Nevertheless smoking is horrible for your health and destroys your skin. Plus the smell is a clear sign of "intellectual concerns".

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 2:15 PM

R36, see R30

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 3:24 PM

No, OP, because it is unpleasant and it stinks.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 3:34 PM

r19 our post brought back memories. When I was a kid in the 1980s, my non-smoking parents kept ashtrays in the house for guests who smoked. Back in those days it would've been considered rude and kind of tacky for a host/hostess to order a guest to go outside and smoke. EVERYBODY smoked indoors. That didn't start to change until the 1990s, when smokers started going outside.

If I were at a party today and somebody just lit up a cigarette indoors, it would look very strange and out of place.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 4:22 PM

No just quit. It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 4:26 PM

I smoked 4 cigarettes yesterday for the first time in years. Alcohol was involved. I cannot get addicted to cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 4:41 PM

Smoking offers so much joy. We should all do it.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 6:21 PM

To quote Stanford Blatch, "Smoking is fabulous!" Just ask my parents; they were die-hard smokers til the very end. I owe everything to smoking.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 6:27 PM

Loved it too. I used to say to people you can sit and stare at a wall and be bored out of you mind but do the same thing while smoking and you don't mind it at all.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 6:36 PM

I'm a former smoker and if cigarettes were not unhealthy I never would've quit, I would've just kept puffing away for the rest of my life. I LOVED smoking and miss it, but I wasn't getting any younger and decided I needed to quit because of all the horrible things smoking can do to you.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 7:32 PM

No because the time it sucks and the energy it depletes. Christ I'm so glad I quit. It took about 50 times.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 7:39 PM

Can't stand the smell so no.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 7:48 PM

Even if I wanted to, I could afford to start smoking again...How much is a carton of cigarettes these days! $100?????

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 8:48 PM

You may as well just cut out the middle man and burn banknotes - at least you don't have the smell.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 10:26 PM

R45, yes, exactly! Smoking was also great when listening to music.

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2019 9:03 AM

It burns my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2019 9:34 PM

God I want one now!

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2019 2:24 AM

I have a method for smoking and not smelling. Sit on a chair in front of the stove, which has an exhaust fan. Blow smoke directly in fan. It polutes the air outside, but the apartment is clear and so are my clothes and hair. Brush teeth after, have a couple of mints and get rid of the cigs in an airtight container. Most people don't know I smoke as I don't do so in public. My dirty little secret.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2019 2:14 PM

You bet your ass I would. I haven't smoked in 8 years, but lately I have wanted nothing more than to go out onto the back porch, light up a lovely cigarette, and smoke it.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2019 2:40 PM

I quit 5 years ago this month. I had tried so many times and thankful I finally succeeded. I know if I had just one cigarette I would be back to smoking a pack a day in no time. As others have stated there is more to smoking than just the health consequences. Is smoking worth premature aging? Is smoking worth the stench? The addiction alone was worth quitting. Thing of all the anxiety because you are at a place and can't smoke. No matter how interesting the people, the movie or whatever was, I was still thinking about getting out and enjoying that cigarette. There are just too many negatives to ever go back to smoking.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2019 2:56 PM

Slightly OT, but are those "this is a smoke free building" signs posted at entrances really necessary anymore? How many fucking years has it been since smoking was banned in office buildings and stores and such? Even hospitals still have those signs FFS.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2019 3:43 PM

Quit years ago but my motto is, if I go to the doctor and he gives me bad news, the first place I go after his office is the smoke shop.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2019 5:05 PM

I always think of poor Carrie Bradshaw sitting on the curb in NYC, smoking a cigarette she fished out of the gutter. I'd never want to be that desperate.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2019 6:14 PM

No. It smells disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2019 6:15 PM

I would do it especially these days.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2020 3:53 PM

Fuck no. It stinks. It's even worse than being a Bump Bitch like r60.

by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2020 4:01 PM

I wouldn't. I sometimes smoke weed through a vaporizer when I can't sleep and I hate inhaling it. I can only do a couple of puffs at a time.

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2020 4:02 PM

In France where I am, they have designated tobacconists as essential services, and they remain open, along with supermarkets and pharmacies.

I despair of this country.

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2020 4:04 PM

I recall the days when a lot of people smoked before the huge anti-tobacco campaign and regulation changes (no smoking in restaurants, etc.). So many teens and adults smoked! I’m glad it isn’t like that anymore in the U.S., but I keep noticing in movies and when European actors are out in public, a higher number of Europeans seem to be smoking than in the U.S. Is this true? It sort of reminds me of the days when smoking was seen as sophisticated and wonder if it’s still seen that way there?

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2020 4:11 PM

I've never stopped smoking, not even for a day.

I wouldn't fly for a year when they banned in on planes.

by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2020 4:14 PM

Love it. In Virginia, so a pack never runs more than $6.

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2020 4:18 PM

Such a deal, r66. When I quit, Marlboros were $1.75 in machines, $10 for a carton.

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2020 4:21 PM

[quote]When I quit, Marlboros were $1.75 in machines, $10 for a carton.

Well, it ain't 1932 anymore, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 68March 25, 2020 4:37 PM

I love the taste of tobacco, real tobacco not the packaged shit, so yes I would smoke again if there were no adverse health concerns attached.

by Anonymousreply 69March 25, 2020 4:48 PM

I LOVE smoking. Love it. I resumed a very light top-secret habit of a few a day/none for days, and this corona shit has forced me to stop again. Now I have to reduce carbs drastically to get the extra pounds off.

by Anonymousreply 70March 25, 2020 4:50 PM

R64, people smoke with no shame whatever in the Mediterranean countries. American students are thrilled to join them.

But surely you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that smoking reduces your chances of surviving a respiratory virus.

by Anonymousreply 71March 25, 2020 4:53 PM

If you can keep it to 1-3 a day and forgo them when necessary, no big deal. But most smokers aren’t like that. Most smell and have discolored teeth. Also, it’s really unattractive and pathetic when a regular smoker needs a smoke and everything has to stop to allow for that. Or they try to engineer things so it’s not obvious. “Oh, let’s not take a cab, let’s walk. The sleeting midnight rain in this borderline neighborhood so delightful!”

I smoked intermittently in my 20s and early 30s, but usually only when I drank (that’s my vice). I never got really addicted to cigarettes. I could probably smoke 2 or 3 a day without it getting out of control, but the thought seems gross now. And I’m fat. I’d rather be fat than smoke a few cigarettes a day.

by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2020 5:03 PM

I don't know any "moneyed" people who smoke. The smokers I know are all white trash from hell.

by Anonymousreply 73March 25, 2020 5:04 PM

Absolutely not. I put in far too much work in keeping my teeth clean and white to do something that turns them yellow and brown. Nothing says trash like neglected teeth.

by Anonymousreply 74March 25, 2020 5:09 PM

R73 Simon Cowell smokes He's pretty rich.

He also has very white teeth R74.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 25, 2020 5:43 PM

But it isn't dangerous!

by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2020 5:58 PM

Enjoy smelling like an ashtray. Seriously gross habit.

by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2020 7:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2020 4:12 AM

The Olsen twins have competitions where they see who can smoke the most and eat the least in a day. At one's wedding, she had big bowls of cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2020 7:53 AM

Hell, no. Absolutely no appeal whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2020 2:13 PM

R79 Did you hear Ashley got lyme disease?

by Anonymousreply 81March 28, 2020 4:43 AM

I hope Elizabeth Olsen doesn't die of cancer due to secondhand smoke from the freak twins.

by Anonymousreply 82March 28, 2020 5:07 AM

No. I used to like it but now I really despise it. It killed my Mom. I used to light up a cigarette ever now and then just to mess with my BF, and he'd always slap it out of my mouth. God, I love him more than life itself.

by Anonymousreply 83March 28, 2020 5:07 AM

I quit smoking, but if I ever got a terminal illness, the first thing I would do would be buying a carton of cigarettes and a lighter.

They're so amazing.

by Anonymousreply 84March 28, 2020 5:13 AM

I stopped 10 years ago and it still remains the best temptation of all. They were my best friends.

by Anonymousreply 85March 28, 2020 5:17 AM

I can't be too critical as my father smoked into his 60's. He lived to be 92. I would give anything to have him back, even for just one day. I could never stand the odor of cigarette smoke. I wouldn't be tempted to start smoking. even if you grew 6" taller and developed ideal symmetrical muscle mass.

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2020 6:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!