Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greta Thunberg

What does DL think about this kid? I'd only vaguely heard of her through Twitter, now I'm reading her Wiki and she sounds kind of insufferable. I'm all for saving the environment, but is this brat skipping school to sail around on a yacht actually helping anyone or anything?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246September 25, 2019 4:21 PM

She should lay off the lutefisk.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 3:26 AM

Nice try. How out of touch are you?

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 3:37 AM

a 16 yo kid, invited everywhere and funded by the elite, going around to teach people about science... instead of learning about science at school... hmmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 4:25 AM

She is my Hero.

She is our Future.

Most importantly, she is FIERCE.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 4:29 AM

She's front and center on The 1975's upcoming album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 4:32 AM

She is on the autism spectrum and tends to communicate in very black and white terms.

Not sure how/what the exhortations to RESIST are actually doing to help the Earth?

She defo seems to be a creation of the elites and the media, hope she is not being exploited.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 4:33 AM

She had the balls to tell all the Richie Richs at Davos that they were ruining the planet, so I don't really think she's being exploited.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 4:36 AM

Reactions to her are interesting. Some generally contemptible adult Brits, Arron Banks among them, have made some vastly obnoxious comments. I'm sure some adult trumptards in the US of A have done the same, but I do my best to avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 4:36 AM

Her parents are famous Swedes. Open question whether they are using her to further their own careers.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 4:39 AM

[quote]Nice try. How out of touch are you?

Quite a bit, apparently. I don't watch regular TV, and nothing about her registered as interesting the first few times her name popped up on my timeline. Sorry if I don't know everything there is to know about this privileged plain-looking Swedish teen who is apparently the only person in the world fighting for the environment...by skipping school?

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 5:21 AM

She retard?

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 6:04 AM

Child abuse.

What kind of parent would subject their child to the invectives?

She’s not a savant with new scientific insights, she’s a puppet.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 6:08 AM

She’s drawing attention to the fact that the planet is burning up, that it is an issue that requires prompt and substantial responses in order to avoid its most destructive effects, and over the past twelve months has arguably been more successful at doing so than any other politician or diplomat.

Idiot adults can be dismissive or suspicious of her motives, but she’s right.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 6:22 AM

I’m sadly on the side of the “parents exploiting their child”. I remember Jessica Dubroff, and at the time thinking, when are child services going to step in for child endangerment.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 6:23 AM

She's insufferable [italic]and[/italic] she's right.

Ignore her if she's annoying you but don't ridicule her efforts.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 6:42 AM

You showed your hand by talking about her ‘plain looks’. It’s irrelevant and you know it. She’s putting her education on hold, not refusing it forever, but that doesn’t fit your narrative.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 8:10 AM

One thrust away from being Downes

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 8:44 AM

She's presently sailing to the UN Climate Conference. I applaud her not flying there, but she has a whole entourage who are flying there to watch her speak. And, she's not sailing back. She's flying.

Also, the materials that make modern oceangoing sailboats are all very high-carbon emission. Even the weatherproof clothes and boots she's wearing have a far higher carbon footprint than regular clothes.

Why not speak to the UN via satellite, so that she and her posse can avoid any carbon footprint?

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 9:07 AM

She makes some adults feel inadequate because they remember that when they were her age, they could barely address an audience of their age peers, let alone accomplish what she has. So their reflex is to put her down.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 9:16 AM

R18 Well said.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 9:16 AM

Lets face it Greta. For 12, you don’t look so good.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 9:49 AM

She’s got a touch of ‘tard in her, but she is right and correct to bring attention to it.

Didn’t know everything r18 said about her trip. She probably should have researched it a bit better and teleconferenced for a much lower carbon footprint.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 10:07 AM

I'm sensing an extra chromosome, Captain...

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 10:12 AM

Whatevs.

I've been through greater extinctions than the potential human one.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 10:49 AM

Yes, she’s being exploited. I feel bad for her. She’s not having anything remotely close to a normal and healthy life. Perhaps if she is on the autism spectrum, she wasn’t going to have a normal development, anyway.

There was a story about a young composer prodigy recently, and of course there’s Malala. All of these young women seem to be pushed by their parents. It gives me an uneasy feeling. Maybe they’re doing so much good that it outweighs the negative... maybe they’re destined for the sainthood. I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 12:27 PM

I hope she is not an eco-warrior version of Balloon Boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 1:13 PM

Fanks!

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 2:25 PM

She looks like she has extra chromosomes.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 3:22 PM

She's the new punching bag of the global right, now that Trumpbitches got tired of AOC.

And as far as "global elites" go, I'd rather the UN than Exxon and BP.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 3:41 PM

Vegan cat.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 3:45 PM

I love her and she has young lesbian energy like old clips of Jodie Foster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 3:47 PM

She is a child. On top of this, she has done more than all of you. What she is advocating for will save all of us, even the trolls and Putin's bitches.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 11:15 PM

R32 Well, I don't drive, so I do my part. Speak for yourself ya shrieking eel

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 11:52 PM

Forget her! What about ME? I’m saving the planet by fathering only two children!

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2019 12:32 AM

OP, what's your obsession with her skipping school? Are you a teacher?

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2019 12:43 AM

It says a lot that instead of engaging this girl with what she is actually saying, what she is actually advocating for, people instead focus on her looks, on who is funding her, or if she's being used. It's because these people don't have any good arguments based on science that can challenge the truth of what she is saying. So instead they attack her, her parents, and the youth movement she started.

I'm much older than Greta, but I commend her, and I'm grateful for her advocacy. She is doing what she can. She is not aiming for perfection and is not asking that of anyone. She is however, making it known to those in power who have been dragging their feet on this issue, that we can no longer wait when it comes to climate change.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 1:04 AM

Hope she doesn't hit an iceberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 1:09 AM

The whole point of her school strike movement is a way for young people to demonstrate to adults that they don't know if they have a future due to climate change. They don't know what kind of world they are going to have in 20 years. So they are striking from school to show that if we don't care about the world they are inheriting, then we don't have the right to tell them to go to school and get an education, career, whatever. Of course an education is important, these kids know this. It's a protest to bring attention to the problem that is very real and will have catastrophic results if we don't do something now. For all the pearl clutchers worried about these kids education, don't worry. They are going to school. In Sweden, they have a day where they strike and days they go to school. They probably know more about climate change and what the world needs to do about it than most of us on DL.

These kids should listened to and supported, not derided.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 1:12 AM

Traveling around on a yacht isn't helping the environment.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 1:22 AM

She's trying to make a point, R39. Yes, it's political theater. But it got your attention, didn't it? Were most people thinking about the carbon footprint of their air travel before Greta and the climate change youth movement got underway? If anything, she is bringing attention to the problem. Obviously, no one is expecting people to take a yacht to Europe from the U.S. But it has made people in Europe consider other modes of transportation when travelling short distances, which is a step forward.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 1:35 AM

I think she's great. I'm grateful for what she's doing.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 1:38 AM

I'm seeing a lot of Brits online calling her "mentally ill," and saying she's demanding the entire world change just to suit her, and also that she thinks she's a saint, who then turn around and say it's cruel to have her out in public where she's being exploited.

They're making sure they abuse her left and right, then bemoan the "elites" who are "exploiting" her by "exposing her to abuse."

It's sick. You Brits are as fucked up as we Americans are. You've got a big chunk of your media and punditry who are practically outright psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 1:45 AM

Well, here's one way to get rid of your downs syndrome kid!

Bon Voyage!!!

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 1:48 AM

She's got a big mouth and is bringing attention to the biggest issue we're facing now. That's a win for me. I don't care if she's insufferable, if she's exploited, if she's autistic, if she's skipping her fucking classes. All of this isn't important, there's just excuses to dismiss her. If anyone has a right to open their mouth, it's the kids who are going to have to deal with the consequences of our bad choices. We have literally destroyed their future, and we keep doing it.

So sailing to the UN conference is not so green? Maybe, but did people talk about it? Everyone who heard about it has started to think about what alternative method of travels are, if they're worth it, if only to criticize her. Again, to me, that's a win.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 1:54 AM

[quote]She's trying to make a point, [R39]. Yes, it's political theater. But it got your attention, didn't it?

Yes, if only to highlight the hypocrisy of the situation.

I agree with this girl’s agenda. But unlike r36, I can also recognize that she is possibly being used by adults in a way that may not be healthy for her, mentally and emotionally. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 1:57 AM

I mean, I care if she's exploited, but I don't think she is. She's doing the same thing Samantha Smith did in the 1980s, and I don't recall anyone screaming "exploitation" about that.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 2:01 AM

I'm going to be an asshole here, but I don't care if she's exploited. And if she's doing now isn't healthy, mentally or emotionally, I think she's one of those people who'd feel far worse if they weren't doing anything. It's her way of coping with something that terrifies her and at least this way she can feel like she has some kind of hold on it.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 2:07 AM

global warming, we all gonna die!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 4:08 AM

Ok R45, who is exploiting her? What evidence do you have that she is being exploited?

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 5:07 AM

I'm not r45, r49, but to me, her age, her admitted mental issues, and the fact that her parents were already famous in Sweden but were on the verge of has-been territory.

I don't mind the message, but the messenger can make a difference to how seriously people will view the message. Many look at the 16 year olds in their own lives and think "No. I'm not taking life advice from a 16 year old. No matter how little she smiles or how much the media love her."

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2019 5:15 AM

That's all conjecture, R50. It's easy to criticize someone because of a previous mental illness. She isn't trying to give anyone advise. She is sounding the alarm to a complacent public about climate change.

One thing I know is that none of her critics, not one, can refute the message. That scares them. So they shoot the messenger.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2019 5:39 AM

I'm only pointing out that the messenger has to be inspiring in order to spread the message. A Humorless and hectoring 16 year old is inspiring to some, and a turnoff to others. Some will adore her, others won't.

That's just the truth, r51.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2019 5:47 AM

The same principle as when the US media manufactured David Hogg briefly into the "spokesman for youth". It's evil to resist the purity of the young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2019 6:19 AM

I've always wanted to see what Stefoknee looked like as she got older.

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2019 6:27 AM

As soon as the cunt started whining about "the elites" and bitching about a kid and answering her own posts, you know the kid's right and the right wing troll posts are fucked up.

Leave her alone you dumb fucking cunt. Her parents are fine. Her footprint is fine. She doesn't need your "concern" or your bullshit. Fuck off and die in a grease fire you useless piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2019 6:29 AM

I am not....one of her.....FANS.

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2019 6:30 AM

The Times: Greta Thunberg's yacht trip to New York not as green as it may seem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2019 6:37 AM

She has a face for the radio.

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2019 7:27 AM

She has the face of a typical FAS victim. Shame that her greedy mom chose alcohol over her child‘s health. Now they use her as a cash cow with obvious PR stunts like her “CO2 friendly” trip to America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2019 10:28 AM

She has ALL the characteristics. Guess autism sounds nicer than FAS ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2019 10:30 AM

R55 Bitch, Greta is sick and maladjusted (autism, FAS, anorexia etc.) She is in no way an appropriate role model for anyone. Her story is tragic ....

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2019 10:34 AM

𝑨𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒎 is out. 𝑵𝒆𝒖𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒕𝒚 is now the term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2019 10:37 AM

She's fine. She sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2019 11:11 AM

Greta's mettle will be proved when she sails in to present serious and researched opposition to the two Climategate research scandals, and any of you who say otherwise are RACISTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2019 11:54 AM

"I don't know her"

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2019 11:59 AM

Instead of all these virtual signalers demanding action (greener supply of energy), how about they actual take action by consuming less?

Perhaps she could champion teenagers to not be hyper-consumers? Boycott H&M and fast-fashion? Stop getting a new phone every two seconds? Start walking instead of getting their folks to drive them everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2019 12:08 PM

It's funny that all the virtue signallers travel. If they were serious they'd never travel. They'd espouse the use of skype and videoconference.

But they don't.

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2019 12:11 PM

If these virtue signallers were serious, r66, they'd focus on India and China.

But they don't.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2019 12:17 PM

Normal people with healthy minds think she might have a point (regardless of her perhaps being exploited), don't mind her or simply don't care about her. It's far right folk mocking and deriding her.

Whenever a woman (regardless of her age) speaks up, the far right start deriding her. They also do it with men (particularly with younger ones), granted, but have you ever seen comments on social media wishing, say, David Hogg, to get raped gangbang style? THIS happens to women only.

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2019 12:25 PM

So it's Mysogyny, r69?

Are you joking?

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2019 12:28 PM

R69 Sweetie, d you think your Sherlock? It‘s a just matter of power. Right now, men have more power than women. The left emphasizes equality, so they want men to loose and women to gain power. The right emphasizes inequality/hierarchy, so they don‘t want women to gain power. It‘s not rocket science really.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2019 12:32 PM

The only celebrity who actually practices what he preaches. And he’s been doing this stuff since the 1980s.

He apparently drives an electric car now, but in his St. Elsewhere days, he used to take the bus. (Can’t confirm whether he rode the bus with his sister though.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2019 12:33 PM

But misogyny or not, this doesn’t change the fact that Greta is a big ass FAKE. Her team wants $$$, they don’t care if their actions are rational measures against man made climate change or not. They just want PR stunts to foster their brand such as the ridiculous sailing trip. The parents are highly dubious (mom was an alcoholic during pregnancy and dad is full time environment activist aka unemployed).

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2019 12:40 PM

R72 How boring.

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2019 12:41 PM

r69 I dont think David Hogg is a total bottom at all.

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2019 12:45 PM

[quote]Why not speak to the UN via satellite, so that she and her posse can avoid any carbon footprint?

There’s probably something pollute-y about [italic]that[/italic] too.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2019 12:53 PM

Being famous, for anything, is such a thankless task now... you wonder anybody tries to do anything.

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2019 12:58 PM

The single worst thing a person can do in environmental terms is reproduce, so it’s her parents she should be taking to task. For as long as I remain childless, I’m not prepared to take lectures from teenage strumpets or anyone else for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2019 1:01 PM

Agreed,, R78.

We need to address population control. But no one will. It’s a political hot potato.

And fertility treatments are too lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2019 1:08 PM

R78 Please, we need population control in the most barbaric countries and not so much so much in the civilized world. They are the ones with the highes growth rates while having nothing to offer to their offspring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2019 1:22 PM

R80 You'll never stop people fucking and shitting out kids.

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2019 1:30 PM

R81 Have you ever heard of birth control? Or giving them compensation if they don’t reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2019 1:33 PM

Cause they are narcissists who seek adulation in person, R67.

Do I win a prize?

Her parents really had fading careers? Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2019 1:38 PM

Is it established that her mother drank heavily during pregnancy? The facial features she has that are associated with FAS are very similar to her father’s. Maybe that’s just her face.

R74, I didn’t realize the climategate was a decade ago. Climategate completely turned me off to the possibility of man-made global warming. The bullying directed at dissenters within the field didn’t help either. I don’t think people without graduate-level math and research experience realize how egregious that was. It’s only recently that I’ve come back around, thinking that if all the work was fraudulent it would have come out by now. So that’s an entire decade I spend not stressing too much over recycling, the size of my house, how much crap I buy from Amazon, and driving gas guzzlers.

I don’t follow Greta or climate news. But her calling out the elites on their do as I say, not as I do attitudes impresses me and makes me want to do a little better. I think there is way too much posturing and emotion and quasi-religion in climate politics and not nearly enough clear guidance on what the impacts of different practices are likely to be, but Greta certainly isn’t doing any harm. And she seems very sincere, why should we hold it against her if her parents aren’t?

by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2019 1:42 PM

She looks a lot like her father. He doesn't work because he doesn't need to work! I wouldn't work either if I didn't have to. If anything, he's a devoted father, following her and protecting her wherever she goes. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What she says is true. We know it is. Her generation is fucked and I can understand that they are pissed. I didn't have children because I knew I wouldn't be able to provide for them. Not many people made that choice, most people believe they are entitled to becoming parents. Sure. What are you giving to your offspring though? Do you realise how many decades that responsibility is for? In many ways, it is actually for life because you put another person on this planet and you have a responsibility towards that.

I'm very happy that there is someone sounding the alarm and that she is being listened to.

Whether the rest of her family are sincere or not is of zero importance to me. She is not asking of people to be perfect, she herself is not.

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2019 1:55 PM

I do not think she is FAS, looks like her father. But she is autistic (what would have been called Aspergers until recently) and the fixation on a special interest is definitely at play here.

The yacht trip is not so green and glad that is being called out for the stunt it is.

The greatest threats to the environment come from the population increase in Africa and from economic development in China and India. Most plastic in the ocean is connected to commercial activities, not straws. Odd and telling where the media focuses.

by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2019 2:10 PM

R84 Her parents only admitted to autism and anorexia (beaten). FAS is maybe too embarrassing for the mom. Having signs of FAS doesn’t mean there is no resemblance to the parents. But Greta has all the characteristics of a FAS face and stature and things like indistinct philtrum are very significant.

Greta does lots of harm because she incites people and “wants us to panic” without having any well thought out solutions. Because she is mentally disturbed and emotionally stunned, she is unable of nuanced thinking and sensitive human communication. Her sailing trip shows exactly how remote and unpractical her ways are.

R85 Her generation is not fucked. Life has never been as easy as now, today’s kids have way more opportunities than my generation had. Poverty has gone down significantly in the world, while education and information were never as accessible to so many people. Today’s kids can travel as easily and freely as never before. But school children are not in charge of their own household yet, they don’t know how to manage conflicting interests and responsibilities. Instead, they tend to make one sided claims because the their lack of experience in managing things. And this is exactly why an autist like Greta, who can only see things as black or white, is dangerous at the head of a “youth movement”. Greta uses those kids for her very own obsessiv interest in climate without the kind of consideration an healthy, responsible adult would bring into.

by Anonymousreply 87August 18, 2019 2:13 PM

I think China and India are why the measures we take in wealthier countries won’t matter much. But I can’t blame Indians and Chinese for wanting all the stuff we have. I’m trying to consume less, but I’m not going to give up travel or comfort. I think we’ll have to eventually address climate change with technology and infrastructure, not conservation.

by Anonymousreply 88August 18, 2019 2:17 PM

R87, her father also has all the characteristics of FAS. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t have it, but unless her mom is a known alcoholic, the more logical explanation is that she inherited her facial features from her dad.

by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2019 2:20 PM

No heads of those kind of movements are nuanced, R87. Kids can afford to be very idealistic and kind of all over the place. With maturity comes responsibilities and a different perspective.

Greta was chosen and supported by TPTB in that role, the responsibility is not hers. She did not conjure up nor did she merit the media adulation she instantly received. I agree that her message is triggering anxiety in young people and has no clear direction - my immediate thought upon hearing of her was WTF does she mean by resist? With ACT UP the goals were clear and more attainable rather than amorphous and globalist.

by Anonymousreply 90August 18, 2019 2:21 PM

FFS, this book is exploitative as hell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 18, 2019 2:25 PM

In a comment at the link (and details re: how Greta did not just seemingly rise from nowhere)

It is disingenuous, to say the least, for the author of this article to describe Greta’s mother as an opera singer. More relevantly, in the context of her daughter’s role as poster girl for the climate change movement, Malena Ernman is a veteran environmental warrior of considerable distinction (WWF Environmental Hero of the Year 2017).

Greta has been carefully groomed by Al Gore among others, to attract and exploit the instant stardom heaped upon her by the a fawning mass media, gullible dewy-eyed politicians, cynical business leaders and – the ultimate accolade – the Pope.

To her millions of admirers across the globe, she is simply a concerned member of the younger generation emperilled by climate change doing her humble best to save us all from the coming apocalypse. To a powerful elite seeking to revive the flagging fortunes of capitalism via new hi-tech industrial revolution she is manna from heaven..

Wealthy technocrats are banking on Greta and her growing army of admirers to pressure governments into pouring public money (including from pension funds) into their so-called solutions to climate change. Unfortunately, these could easily turn out to be sticking plaster fixes likely to speed up, rather than slow down, global warming.

Greta is a victim of child abuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 18, 2019 2:30 PM

Malena is an opera singer. She even sang for Sweden at Eurovision 2009.

by Anonymousreply 93August 18, 2019 2:52 PM

She was mentored by Gore and her mother was honored by WWF as an eco warrior, you do not consider him and that group the elites of the climate change movement? You are likely alone in that. Bet you disparage Green Peace and Nat Geo too. Her parents are both eco warriors, it is just a fact.

If Greta looked like most kids her age in her town it would not have the same effect. She looks so childlike and with her uninflected speaking pattern it has a very Yoda-like effect.

I have known kids on the spectrum but without all of the serious additional diagnoses she and her sister have been given. Wish them all the best. Climate change will not be solved any time soon, hope that does not send a self harming kid with OCD into a downward spiral. Their lives sound nightmarish and lives for such families often are. Subbing in a justice issue for the family to all focus on (and be employed in) might be a genius coping strategy, who knows? For both kids to be on the spectrum and have so many additional serious disorders - are both the parents neurotypical? Is that why the father is unemployed?

I hope that in addition to the eco justice work, the parents also are helping the girls gain social skills, emotional regulation and coping life skills. The special needs school they attend is meant to do so but now she is not there full time.

For a kid with sensory issues and severely restricted eating, I would think a yatch with all the spray and motion might be a circle of Hell. I do know of kids IRL who have had a lot of anxiety triggered by the prominence of Greta, the no easy answers nature of the issue and OCD about their own impact on the enviroment. Her being pushed by a pop group with a very young audience was how they heard of her. I think most adults have heard of her through the media. Her message of Resist! is rarely linked with practical steps people can take, so the anxiety is not channeled. Perhaps we will know more re: the agenda once the boat docks. She does seem quite sincere but is only a child. It is not nearly as off putting as those Royals going on and on about saving the earth then taking private jets and helicopters multiple times per week.

by Anonymousreply 94August 18, 2019 3:58 PM

Quick, easy answers and new things to buy (stainless steel straws, anyone?) may have consequences that make things worse. It is wise to be wary.

The scariest thing about the paper bowls is the chemicals leeching into the water supply with no way currently to filter them and no way to break them down. The bowls were promoted as compostable, a very noble goal, and the cities that have composted them have now contaminated the compost with very dangerous chemicals that do not break down. They are so appealing and seemed like such a good solution...scrutinize the messages/solutions regardless of the messenger.

Hopefully what Resist! could mean will be fleshed out in the coming days. Hopefully it will be more than celebrities flying around on private jets to make speeches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 18, 2019 4:06 PM

In refering to celebrities flying around to make speeches, I was thinking of Extinction Rebellion, not Greta.

by Anonymousreply 96August 18, 2019 4:11 PM

Unfortunately, what no one wants to say, even Greta, is that in addition to forgoing children, the other best thing to do for the environment is to commit suicide. Will Greta come out as pro-suicide?

by Anonymousreply 97August 18, 2019 4:23 PM

Fuck off, R97.

by Anonymousreply 98August 18, 2019 4:35 PM

Lol, R97, everyone in Western countries could off themselves and it would make very little difference. The drivers of enviromental degradation and over-population are elsewhere.

Pretty sure an anorexic is signalling your message anyway.

by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2019 4:40 PM

Why can’t China and India show a bit more interest in clean energy? It’s not the era of the original industrial revolution. Back then, there weren’t other options available. Now there are.

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2019 4:50 PM

Greta has stepped straight out of the society depicted in Logan’s Run. She’d be in her element in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 101August 18, 2019 4:57 PM

R100, are you just typing here? China is leading the world in green tech. They take it very seriously. India, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2019 5:04 PM

As soon as the deplorables start throwing around "the elites!" I tune them out immediately.

It's a stupid word for stupid people to use when they are saying stupid things.

by Anonymousreply 103August 18, 2019 5:06 PM

Never saw it, R101, can you please say more?

by Anonymousreply 104August 18, 2019 5:14 PM

R104 It was set in a society in which people were compassionately euthanised upon reaching adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 105August 18, 2019 5:25 PM

Lol! Thanks, R105.

Greta has the rounded facial features of a lot of people on the spectrum - my guess is a combo of low tone and a more expressionless affect combined with less social interaction.

I do worry for her when the moment in the sun ends with climate change still occuring, how will she cope? She might really benefit from attending the SN school and those services and interaction with peers cannot be made up at home or online. I have seen kids benefit from those kind of programs.

When she is not as childlike or novel the pendulum will swing and where will that leave her? I do feel for the parents, it sounds like their family life is nightmarish. If you have never experienced these challenges it can be easy to scoff. One kid with a fraction of the developmental issues can dominate the family dynamic, but they have 2.

by Anonymousreply 106August 18, 2019 5:32 PM

R90 Greta and her team love the attention from the media. The sailing trip is a PR show for the media only. She would b nothing without the media’s attention.

by Anonymousreply 107August 18, 2019 6:14 PM

I know it's not the fault of the girl, but it seems like her parents are real attention seekers. Two kids with all those issues? Something about it just seems off. If the parents weren't minor celebs in Sweden already, you know they'd have a mommy blog instead of a book deal.

by Anonymousreply 108August 18, 2019 6:20 PM

R108, most people with kids with so many issues are focused on getting them help, creating social relationships with peers, etc and trying to keep the marriage together. Not further isolating them from the SN services that are needed and from peers. Some SN parents really do trumpet the kids medical info from the rooftops, it is so unseemly. If a 3rd party did it, it would be a crime, but it is all part of the victimhood and woke cred of the parents. Ugh. They may be trying to set them up for careers and amass some funds for a trust, those are 2 other common concerns.

Link is to another dual attention seeking couple (journos) with an aspie kiddo. How do I know? They trumpeted it in The Atlantic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 18, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]most people believe they are entitled to becoming parents

That's because they are. Human reproduction is a basic human right.

DLers always want to be fascists and insist that people be forcibly sterilized for various reasons, and it always comes up on these environmental threads, where we get a few dozen hateful posts that basically say "if we can't put every teenager on the operating table and force infertility on them, then fuck it, just throw your plastic bottles straight into the ocean."

There's nothing you can do about people reproducing, so instead of whining about it, you have to take different approaches toward maintaining the environment without infringing on human rights. If that makes you angry, I don't know what to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2019 8:20 PM

R110 Ah, so the one thing that could make the greatest positive difference is off the table simply because it’s unpopular. No one is talking about enforced sterilisation. We’re talking things like the implementation of major disincentives, such as financial penalties and higher taxes for people electing to have children. We also need to educate people out of delusional ideas picked up from movies, eg that having a child will bring meaning and completeness to their lives. That’s among the very worst, most shallow motives for having children and just leads to another generation in therapy and on mood stabilising drugs.

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2019 9:25 PM

I'll take her more serious were she to applaud 4th generation nuclear power plants. Climate change, solved. France's electrical grid is 70-80% nuclear.

Thanks to Germany prioritizing wind and solar, Germany is taking a geopolitical gamble, and has had to import natural gas from Russia. 20% of Germany's coal is imported from the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 18, 2019 10:23 PM

Population in Africa and carbon in China and India are the levers that truly matter and are the drivers of the future. Why is no one talking about those facts?

by Anonymousreply 113August 18, 2019 11:04 PM

People talk about those issues all the time, R113, have been for years. Have you been living under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 114August 19, 2019 12:20 AM

Kid looks like the grinch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 19, 2019 2:00 AM

I'm an educator, and I know my students a) are obviously concerned/obsessed with global climate change (their parents have destroyed the planet, they're going to suffer the consequences) and b) are inspired by Greta and other youth who are actually bringing attention to the issue. As gays, I find it appalling that a) we're making fun of a child for the way she looks or for some genetic condition, and b) we don't get that political theatre (e.g. taking the yacht across the Atlantic) is a great way to draw attention to an issue.

by Anonymousreply 116August 19, 2019 2:10 AM

We do get it, R116. We have a couple of very persistent, multiple account holding trolls. They are right wing and attack attack attack anyone and anything not in lock-step with Putin and his puppet in DC. It's constant and boring and eventually, although it leaves holes in threads, you can put them on ignore and keep them there most of the time.

If they were capable of stating a point of view and letting it be, they wouldn't need to get dumped but they troll and troll and troll. It's a sickness.

by Anonymousreply 117August 19, 2019 2:14 AM

Yacht drama - yes, it is good theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 19, 2019 2:17 AM

Milking it ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 19, 2019 2:19 AM

Mom sounds kinda nutty. I hope in the end the important movement is not discredited and this is not some distraction. The lack of any clear objectives is striking - what does - Resist! mean, in this context?

Mom has said some dippy stuff:

"According to her mother Malena Ernman (48), 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg can see CO2 with the naked eye. She writes that in the book ‘Scenes from the heart. Our life for the climate’, which she wrote with her family."

"In addition, she has another gift according to her mother. “Greta is able to see what other people cannot see,” writes Malena Ernman in the book. “She can see carbon dioxide with the naked eye. She sees how it flows out of chimneys and changes the atmosphere in a landfill.”

by Anonymousreply 120August 19, 2019 4:07 AM

Anyone check the Atlantic weather reports ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 19, 2019 4:35 AM

I want a kid to come out being a supporter of anti-natalism, with the support of their regretful parents, also, now in support of anti-natalism.

by Anonymousreply 122August 19, 2019 7:27 AM

The 16-year-old girl goes yachting was my schtick!

Back off Greta!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 19, 2019 7:32 AM

I’m not looking forward to the inevitable crack/coke/meth/G/MDMA/sex-tape meltdown when Greta moves to LA in a couple of years and starts making solo albums.

by Anonymousreply 124August 19, 2019 2:23 PM

Imagine hating this girl as much as some of the trolls above. Datalounge has become a playground of neurotic, witless Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2019 2:46 PM

R125 must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2019 9:00 PM

Yes, you're right. You people always hate the same people against whom the right-wing propaganda machine incites its readers. AOC, Meghan Markle, Owen Jones, Bernie Sanders, now this kid. Hardly. A. Difference.

by Anonymousreply 127August 19, 2019 9:03 PM

R127 Meghan Markle? Being irreverent towards the monarchy is not a right-wing position at all. You appear not to know what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 128August 19, 2019 9:37 PM

[quote] Being irreverent towards the monarchy

Like that's what this is about.

The royalty will continue to exist whatever happens to Markle. If you want to be "irreverent towards the monarchy", there are much better targets. Start with the Queen, then her first born, then HIS first born, etc. Markle is way down the relevancy list for genuine anti-royals.

by Anonymousreply 129August 19, 2019 9:41 PM

R129 All the incoming royals, from Diana to Fergie, get a kicking from the press. Why should be obsequious and forelock-tugging towards Meghan? We can leave that to the right-wingers who believe in the innate, unearned ‘superiority’ of royalty.

by Anonymousreply 130August 19, 2019 9:45 PM

Color her purple and you’ve got Violet Beauregarde:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 19, 2019 9:49 PM

Modern day Jeanne d’Arc:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 29, 2019 10:29 PM

She's amazing. It's astonishing that it's taken a 16 year old to put climate change front and center.

by Anonymousreply 133August 30, 2019 3:05 AM

R133 I was on about it in 2004 and nobody would listen!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 134August 30, 2019 3:08 AM

[quote] it's taken a 16 year old to put climate change front and center.

Except it is neither front nor center. Even AOC today is only talking about how she blocks people on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 135August 30, 2019 3:41 AM

A team of doctors examined her—and I don't like it any better than she does—but she is most definitely retarded.

by Anonymousreply 136August 30, 2019 6:10 AM

She's a kid who speaks at least two languages fluently. If she's retarded, the average American or British kid her age must be a vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 137August 30, 2019 6:12 AM

R137 Everyone in Sweden (and other Scandinavian countries for that matter) speaks their native tongue as well as English and have done so for I don't know how many decades. And that includes the mentally challenged.

by Anonymousreply 138August 30, 2019 6:40 AM

So American and British kids are dumber than mentally challenged Swedish kids.

It's how it is. I don't make the rules.

by Anonymousreply 139August 30, 2019 6:59 AM

R139 No. As all the Scandinavian countries have very small population it has been within their best interests to have English as a second language so everyone has to learn English.

by Anonymousreply 140August 30, 2019 7:32 AM

R140 beat me to it. Most kids in Sweden, Netherlands, Croatia, etc have no choice but to speak 2 languages (local language + always English). Because their countries are so small that they need English (an international language) for travel. Sweden is about the size of California - so if they want to drive outside it, they need English to survive. No one will understand them in a hostel in e.g. Belgium if they only speak Swedish.

by Anonymousreply 141August 30, 2019 7:47 AM

[quote] China is leading the world in green tech. They take it very seriously. India, not so much.

How is China "[italic]leading[/italic] the world in green tech", R102?

Sure, they have some green incentives among their 1 Billion+ (!) population - they have to, otherwise they will all suffocate from all the pollution from their gigantic manufacturing plants. But the fact is: they have already over-polluted so much, in partnership with Western companies that re-located their manufacturing plants there (during the past 3 decades of China's fast-paced manufacturing boom) that they now understand they have to cut back a bit - in order to have [italic]breathable[/italic] air again. But, AFAIK, they don't exactly set 'best world standards' or 'pioneer new tech'. They're just trying to mitigate a bit the vast damage that's already been done to air quality in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 142August 30, 2019 7:58 AM

So, she claims to be able to see carbon dioxide? Well, honey, let me bend over and blow a cloud out so you can analyse it.

by Anonymousreply 143August 30, 2019 7:59 AM

I'll listen to Thunberg when she actually invents some helpful new Tech or comes up with a [italic]detailed[/italic] economic Plan about how to properly balance the need for affordable (cheap) manufacturing & transportation (clothes, iPhones, etc) with the need for ecological sustainability.

Because at the moment she's just an empty demagogue: "We need to do, um, something! Quick!". Well, duh - but what? Give up eating meat (stop pollution from cattle)? Cut down on foreign imports? (Transporting iPhones & trainer shoes from China by tanker or airplane is very fuel-heavy). Limit air-travel and spend vacations inside one's country, instead of travelling to exotic faraway destinations by fuel-guzzling plane?

It's very easy to stand on a soap-box and simply shout orders at others to 'do, um, something'. It's especially easy to do this when she doesn't even work or pay taxes (i.e. she doesn't even contribute to the green budget herself). But how about she actually puts in the work effort to invent the revolutionary green tech or the 200-page economic plan.

She's a kid with Asperger's from an upper-middle class family - she sees the world in B&W over-simplistic terms. People like that think we can just cut emissions - and voilà, 'world saved'. But the challenges are much more complicated - and so far she hasn't presented any personal solutions. For example, if we cut down on manufacturing and imports/exports - this will affect mostly the poor, because they're the ones who desperately rely on cheaply manufactured (i.e. affordable) products and on manufacturing jobs to survive. Thunberg is not from the poor class, she's quite well off - so she can't even relate to the need to factor such things in.

by Anonymousreply 144August 30, 2019 8:39 AM

And I'm afraid that Greta Thunberg like so many others preaching about climate change as good as their intentions are are failing to address the biggest elephant in the room - the human race breeding at a rapid rate which is probably the biggest problem of all.

by Anonymousreply 145August 30, 2019 8:55 AM

While our twinks run amok, teens like Greta are making a stupendous difference. Like from the current crisis in Hong Kong, just arrested is...

"...one of the most famous pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong,Wong’s name became known in 2012 when, at 15, he organised the protests against the national education curriculum. The curriculum was...described as “brainwashing” by Wong and his supporters. He was one of the leaders of the Umbrella Movement, in 2014".

We also have teens leading the gun control movement.

by Anonymousreply 146August 30, 2019 11:42 AM

While our twinks run amok, teens like Greta are making a stupendous difference. Like from the current crisis in Hong Kong, just arrested is...

"...one of the most famous pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong,Wong’s name became known in 2012 when, at 15, he organised the protests against the national education curriculum. The curriculum was...described as “brainwashing” by Wong and his supporters. He was one of the leaders of the Umbrella Movement, in 2014".

We also have teens leading the gun control movement.

by Anonymousreply 147August 30, 2019 11:42 AM

R144 nailed it. If she spent her time getting an education to work toward actually come up with solutions, instead of all this grandstanding and superficial nonsense, I would have more respect for her. She is not the first person in the world to figure all of this out. I have no problem with young activists, but if they are just preaching to the choir, then they are no different from the rest of us who already got the memo.

by Anonymousreply 148August 30, 2019 2:08 PM

A keen observer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 30, 2019 2:23 PM

[quote] We olds are rubbish

Well, most revolutionaries are usually young people. The Spanish Civil War, the Russian Revolution, volunteers for WW1, etc - they want excitement and adventure, to be part of a “rebellion for justice”, irrespective of the cause. When one is young and has no financial or family responsibilities whatsoever - running around with a gun or a loudspeaker and giving speeches beats working 10 hours a day, raising a family and paying taxes.

by Anonymousreply 150August 30, 2019 3:22 PM

As an example, during WW1, reportedly around 1/4 million young boys lied about their age (lied that they were over 18, but were actually still minors) and were shipped to the front.

Many died, others were crippled for life. They didn’t fully understand what they were getting into. Teens don’t have fully developed brains, especially the part of the brain responsible for the evaluation of risk.

by Anonymousreply 151August 30, 2019 3:35 PM

Bloody Viking!

by Anonymousreply 152August 30, 2019 3:52 PM

This fucking forum is Breitbart with some gay porn thrown in.

by Anonymousreply 153August 30, 2019 4:25 PM

She's involuntarily jerking and chewing half her face off while talking in NYC. It's apparently a typical stress response among autistic kids.

Maybe she should have stayed home and Skyped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 30, 2019 4:46 PM

R59/R60 needs a trip to her optometrist... or psychiatrist. Either-or.

by Anonymousreply 155August 30, 2019 5:05 PM

[quote] The royalty will continue to exist whatever happens to Markle. If you want to be "irreverent towards the monarchy", there are much better targets. Start with the Queen, then her first born, then HIS first born, etc. Markle is way down the relevancy list for genuine anti-royals.

No, R129, Markle is an American so-called ‘progressive’ trying to lend the Monarchy international legitimacy. It’s because of her that so many American liberals have renewed goo-goo-eyed support for British elitist aristocracy (‘ooh, Royalty is so cool. Look at Markle - she’s a feminist & she supports it!’). Markle is a UN spokesperson, a feminist, a progressive. And now she’s supporting the Monarchy, smiling and waving as she leeches off struggling British tax payers, while boasting about ‘charity’ and ‘shining a light in a dark world’. Such faux-progressives are the worst. At least the Queen is not pretending to be anything else than she is: a conservative elitist and classist. Whereas Markle is a hypocrite, supporting an archaic institution while bragging about her progressive credentials.

It’s like if Lena Dunham married into the Mormon Church while continuing to brag on every podium that she’s a ‘feminist’.

by Anonymousreply 156August 30, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote] Imagine hating this girl as much as some of the trolls above. Datalounge has become a playground of neurotic, witless Nazis.

[quote] This fucking forum is Breitbart with some gay porn thrown in.

R125 / R127 / R129 / R153: That rhetoric (“Anyone who disagrees with me is a literal NAZI!”) is so passé and intellectually lazy.

[quote] You people always hate the same people against whom the right-wing propaganda machine incites its readers. AOC, Meghan Markle, Owen Jones, Bernie Sanders, now this kid. Hardly. A. Difference.

Who is “you people”? I have no idea who Owen Jones is, I like Bernie, I dislike AOC and Markle-Windsor-Mountbatten. Does the complicate your over-simplified world, R153?

by Anonymousreply 157August 30, 2019 6:13 PM

"This fucking forum is Breitbart with some gay porn thrown in."

Sad funny true.

by Anonymousreply 158August 30, 2019 6:36 PM

Tool.

by Anonymousreply 159August 30, 2019 6:38 PM

This is political theater? Well then they should team her up with the young NY drag performer and go on the road. Why the heck not. The youth are our future.

by Anonymousreply 160August 30, 2019 8:40 PM

What did the Great Bard say about elders envious of the young.... Something something tum ti tum something tum ti tum ti..

by Anonymousreply 161August 31, 2019 2:00 AM

Everyone in this thread drives a gas-guzzling car and a has a house full of non-recyclable plastic junk.

by Anonymousreply 162August 31, 2019 2:05 AM

And we are proud of that R162!

by Anonymousreply 163August 31, 2019 7:22 PM

Autocorrect 🙈

by Anonymousreply 164August 31, 2019 7:25 PM

𝐆𝐚𝐬 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐇𝐢𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞-𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐋𝐨𝐰 𝐎𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐖𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐝

𝑻𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒊𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 31, 2019 7:28 PM

I think she's a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 166August 31, 2019 7:30 PM

Sweet smile:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 31, 2019 11:52 PM

She’s an ally:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 31, 2019 11:55 PM

I'm late to the Greta stunt, and mostly I'm interested in the exploitation of this child by her fame-whoring parents. Greta has Asperger syndrome but what about the other sibling? Is there a comprehensive article that lays out the nitty gritty on this unusual family out to seek fame and attention (and money in conjunction with it)? I agree that her facies show traits of FAS but barring that there's also something off about her appearance, and I don't say it lightly (I'm a DNP); it's not definitive that she has FAS but her diagnosis of Asperger syndrome does give me pause.

by Anonymousreply 169September 1, 2019 9:52 PM

I went back and read some more about Greta, and a few troubling points jump out at me. She has a psych history significant for depression, anorexia nervosa, and OCD, I'm assuming these are actual diagnoses and not something that her parents pulled out of their asses. If it's true that she has a recent history of these disorders then it's very irresponsible for the parents to encourage her to trade in one compulsion for another, e.g. anorexia nervosa, which can be thought of as a combination of OCD and depression with perhaps body dysmorphia thrown into the mix, and exchanging it for zealous environmentalism. I love the overall environmentalism message but I do believe she's the wrong messenger because of the probability of her being exploited given her history of mental health struggles. Also, I'm not a big fan of turning these media-propelled creations into cult of personality where the messenger becomes more famous or worshiped than the original causes that they promote.

by Anonymousreply 170September 1, 2019 10:15 PM

Will she meet David Hogg? I love these kids.

by Anonymousreply 171September 1, 2019 10:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 2, 2019 7:57 AM

Her sister has all sorts of psych diagnoses and is also on the autism spectrum. NO WAY are both parents neurotypical. That said, that she is missing the services in her SN school and missing the ability to form peer relationships with other kids with AS, is horrible. Cannot make up for any of that online. And when her arc of relevance ends, what inner resources will she have to cope?

by Anonymousreply 173September 2, 2019 5:11 PM

Yes, two mentally-ill children in the same family with parents who don't have their children's best interests in mind. This is deserving of global recognition and praise. Look, any credentialed mental health specialist will tell you that encouraging more compulsions and anxieties in a child with Greta's significant psychiatric history is not just irresponsible but psychologically harmful. The adults around her, including both parents and the fawning press/ powers that be, are further causing damage to a child with serious, life-long psychiatric diagnoses by indulging in the very traits that worsen her decompensation episodes in the first place. If anyone doesn't think major depression, OCD, anxiety leading to disordered eating, autism spectrum, and selective mutism are not serious mental health disorders, think again.

I read up on Greta's mental health struggles and I think anorexia nervosa is a self-diagnosis on the part of her parents because her symptoms don't meet the criteria for AN diagnosis. By her own admission she stopped eating due to anxiety about environmental issues and not due to the listed criteria required for diagnosis of AN (multitude of factors too long and complex to list here). This tells me that her underlying anxiety is not being properly addressed and treated.

Second, selective mutism in children is highly associated with negativism, compulsions, and anxiety, in fact they're almost always diagnosed with anxiety as well. Again, this supports my opinion that an anxiety disorder plays a large part in the worsening of her mental health in recent years. Anxiety is also linked to depression, and I believe Greta does suffer from depression because it's acknowledged that individuals who are diagnosed with anxiety more often than not also have underlying depressive symptoms. Finally Greta's autism spectrum diagnosis should be highlighted too. Was she diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome recently? Because AS has been removed from DSM-V and DSM-V was published in 2013. We now categorize those who were diagnosed with AS previously as having autism spectrum disorder, or with another diagnosis called social communication disorder which is a mild form of autism.

Individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) have highly fixated and restrictive interests that become abnormal in intensity and perseverate at the expense of other normal interests/ activities; these often become preoccupations. They' can also be highly inflexible in thinking and behavior, again to the point of ignoring or misinterpreting social contexts and communication variances. In Greta's case she's so inflexible that she insisted her mother make her the same lunch (down to odd, specific details) among other ritualized behavior patterns. I think Greta's ASD is worsened by anxiety disorder and selective mutism, in fact all of her concomitant diagnoses are linked together because their respective symptoms induce or increase each other in a dysfunctional loop.

Does that sound like a young person who's better served by garnering international fame while not having her mental health disorders properly treated? Is she better served traveling the world while having people encouraging her to continue her rigid thinking and intense preoccupations at the detriment of learning other healthier ways to focus on other interests? I'm all for environmentalism and not a climate denier by any stretch; I became a vegetarian because of animals/ environmentalism. I am however against exploitation of children and mentally-ill individuals; Greta checks both boxes. She should be in a stable environment with supportive services (including psychotherapy and peer socialization) that address her anxiety, OCD, and ASD symptoms so that she can develop healthy cognition and behavioral functions at optimal levels allowed by her diagnoses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174September 2, 2019 7:18 PM

R170 I think her main problem is still this: She is U G L Y as sin.

by Anonymousreply 175September 2, 2019 7:37 PM

She really does appear to have FAS. I thought an earlier poster was joking. Poor kid. She seemed super freaked out in NY, would be a lot for any kid.

by Anonymousreply 176September 3, 2019 2:08 AM

Is it awful to say I find her irritating? Because I do.

by Anonymousreply 177September 3, 2019 2:33 AM

R176 I am sure other kids have confronted her with her FAS symptoms. Must be tough for her if true. There's nothing she can do about it anymore if mom was an alkie during pregnancy. It's just obvious she is seriously impaired.

by Anonymousreply 178September 3, 2019 6:29 AM

R178 There are actually many people with FAS who go undiagnosed. There are more FAS and related cases today because women are drinking on the same level as men. Many women who drink regularly inadvertently continue to do so in the early stages of pregnancy because those pregnancies were unplanned. Unfortunately alcohol is most damaging to the developing fetus in the earliest stages of pregnancy, it's when the fetus will suffer neurological damage from even moderate consumption of alcohol as well as drugs. People with mild FAS don't have the telltale facial features, and they often manifest behavioral symptoms of FAS during childhood or early adolescence. They often act out in school or exhibit antisocial behavior.

Greta appears to be discombobulated in NYC judging from the coverage. Her parents are using her to further their own need for relevance and fame.

by Anonymousreply 179September 3, 2019 6:48 AM

Just scanned all 179 entries. I’m disappointed that not a single one mentioned Pierre Casiraghi. Whatever has happened to us?!

by Anonymousreply 180September 3, 2019 7:40 AM

R177 Honey, you are in the majority. So not, its not - its honest (and accurate).

by Anonymousreply 181September 3, 2019 8:57 AM

Who will be the next Malala or Greta?

by Anonymousreply 182September 4, 2019 10:49 AM

Her discombobulation is more likely to be sensory overload from AS than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 183September 4, 2019 10:59 AM

America has adorable Gretas as well. 🥰

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 19, 2019 2:10 AM

Did she ask the congresswomen she met if they were having their periods?

by Anonymousreply 185September 19, 2019 2:13 AM

She is the definition of a useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 186September 19, 2019 2:14 AM

I view her with suspicion.

by Anonymousreply 187September 19, 2019 2:15 AM

Good Lord, congresspeople. Don't you know it's bad luck to let retarded people in your Capitol building?

by Anonymousreply 188September 19, 2019 2:16 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 189September 19, 2019 6:45 AM

Someone told me that her father is her mothers sister? Does anyone know if this true? I've done a Google search but cannot find anything.

Anyway, on the subject of climate change things are looking pretty grim. We have probably passed the point of no return so inbred Greta should enjoy all the travel and attention she is getting whilst she can because time is ticking away....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2019 8:28 AM

[quote]Someone told me that her father is her mother's sister?

This sentence makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2019 10:43 AM

R191 No it doesn't - like Greta.

by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2019 1:04 PM

r192 What part of "we have to listen to the scientists" confuses you, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2019 1:13 PM

R193 None. But we don't need to listen to Greta. Hope her flight home on the massive green gas omitting airplane is a pleasant one.

by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2019 11:27 PM

China, the world’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, is ready to massively boost its coal-powered energy supply with the total of future projects now standing at 226.2 gigawatts (GW). That is more than twice the amount of fresh capacity planned for India.

But she and the people pushing her toward the camera remain silent on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 20, 2019 2:09 AM

She’s beginning to show angry face. In other words, she’s showing that she’s beginning to regress. Her meds need upping.

by Anonymousreply 196September 23, 2019 9:13 PM

This would be a LOT for any young teen, never mind one with so many developmental, psychological and sensory challenges. So many of her issues center on control and there is no control over this issue. I really worry about her with OCD and an anorexia diagnosis (dunno if that was self diagnosed by the parents and if it is just the kind of sensory feeding challenges typical for kids on the autism spectrum). She seemed genuinely upset today. She had a spot in a special needs school and should be there cultivating relationships with peers on the spectrum and getting services. I fear this will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 197September 23, 2019 11:47 PM

She is a similar orator to Hitler . I suspect she has speech writers. She is so cold and dictator like persona .

by Anonymousreply 198September 24, 2019 12:03 AM

She is autistic, R198, that can make her seem more, well flat.

I had not seen many photos or videos until today, I can see what people are saying about FAS. Of course, that comes with its own host of issues.

Autism sounds so much nicer, esp when mom is a public figure too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 24, 2019 12:11 AM

She jumped the shark when she screeched that we were all ruining her childhood.

by Anonymousreply 200September 24, 2019 12:15 AM

I’m over her

by Anonymousreply 201September 24, 2019 12:16 AM

I hate her.

by Anonymousreply 202September 24, 2019 12:18 AM

I love DL! The rationale usually rules.

by Anonymousreply 203September 24, 2019 12:20 AM

Tavistock?

by Anonymousreply 204September 24, 2019 12:48 AM

Greta's fixations and preoccupations have become more intense now judging by her recent behavior and speeches. It's likely that her anxiety has worsened. She recently told an interviewer recently, paraphrasing here, "I want you to feel the same anxiety that I'm feeling" when describing why she's now a full-on activist. So either her anxiety is now uncontrolled or she's seeking validation by wishing us and foisting upon us to feel the same level of disordered anxiety that she feels. By doing so her mental illness symptoms are now normalized, as everyone now feels just as disordered as her. She's decompensating in public eye and we're supposed to cheer her and her irresponsible parents/ sponsors? Shame on them, Greta needs to receive better psycho treatment than she's getting right now. If it is true that she has so many psych disorders, there's nothing good in her future if she continues doing things that feed into her anxiety, depression, and OCD. Climate change issues are the focus of her unhealthy fixations and anxiety. She needs to get off of this ship fast and soon. What she needs are intensive, individual psychotherapy as well as group therapy for socialization, on top of medications and adhering to a routine like attending school and other structured activities which are recommended for people who are diagnosed with serious, chronic mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 205September 24, 2019 12:57 AM

R205- you are spot on! She’s in meltdown status . I will enjoy watching it.

by Anonymousreply 206September 24, 2019 1:02 AM

Yet again, we're talking about the messenger instead of the message.

r205 Diagnosing people in online essays? Get a fucking hobby and read up on professional ethics, fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 207September 24, 2019 1:19 AM

Don't you have a new cat to occupy you, r205?

by Anonymousreply 208September 24, 2019 1:21 AM

Autistic people give me the chills

by Anonymousreply 209September 24, 2019 1:24 AM

It seems that autism might be one of your 'special interests', R209.

by Anonymousreply 210September 24, 2019 1:35 AM

R205, she has a spot in a special needs school, but obvs is not there. Her sister is said to have many of the same issues including intense anger. I read that Greta has needed to be hospitalized. I fear for her, this is not some simple thing that she can control the mastery of, like walking a 5k. We cannot control other people.

It puzzles me why her pronouncements are so vague and never address huge drivers like overpopulation, China or India and their carbon footprint. Having listened to her, I am still baffled as to what she would have us actually do, but she seems very overwrought. It cannot be healthy. She has said she feels popular now. What will happen when the attention moves on, as it will?

I think the issues relate to FAS.

by Anonymousreply 211September 24, 2019 1:46 AM

A total hypocrite

by Anonymousreply 212September 24, 2019 2:03 AM

A total hypocrite

by Anonymousreply 213September 24, 2019 2:03 AM

R205, r211, I see that, too.

I’m also reminded of Temple Grandin. But she was an adult when she began her activism, and she actually invented a solution for a problem she identified. So I guess what they have in common is a spectrum disorder. And Ms. Grandin has a less angry demeanor, although she is dead serious.

by Anonymousreply 214September 24, 2019 2:06 AM

She’s ugly! And I will rejoice in her melting down to obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 215September 24, 2019 2:17 AM

R207 Some of us can applaud her for having the right message and yet being the wrong messenger. Climate change and environmental pollution are very real concerns but she comes across as being too personally affected by it in an unhealthy way given her history. That's all. Like it or not the messenger matters to a degree, in her case it's also the way she's being exploited. Accusing others of diagnosing people here on DL is kind of a moot point, it's what we do here all the time with public figures. Many of us who work in mental health do so from the standpoint of our background, that's all. Greta is a teenage crusader who is a public figure now, she's all over the news feeds and yet we're not supposed to raise questions and alarms when aspects of her fame is concerning?

In Greta's case she's open about her mental health diagnoses and struggles and now that she's a public figure campaigning for change, she should expect to be scrutinized for her actions if they become alarming. I was not as concerned until I read her interview where she said that, I think her fears about climate change are now internalized as anxiety, and that is not healthy given her psych history. We should all be concerned but there is a healthy level of concern and then there's an unhealthy focus which veers into preoccupation. The younger a patient is diagnosed with severe mental health disorders, there is more of a likelihood of it being chronic and severe in lifetime course. Someone like Greta with all the family support and resources has a great chance of living a good life even with her mental health challenges. But not when she's sort of losing it in public, I wonder how she is in private if she gets that emotional about it.

R211 I don't think it's FAS at this point, I think it's more of her OCD and anxiety symptoms not well-controlled. There's no cessation of symptoms in these diagnoses but people do learn to control their symptoms so that they're able to function without constantly feeling on edge. I don't see why she can't be a leader in the movement while attending school, she could go on tours giving speeches during summer break. School and being in a social environment where climate change isn't the focus 24/7 would be good for her development. I agree about China and India not being addressed enough; participates from China waft over to the western states of the US and they get in the water and air. But there's not much attention paid to it and that's rather telling of our government and public health entities.

by Anonymousreply 216September 24, 2019 2:18 AM

Did she bring the message to the migrants in Malmo?

by Anonymousreply 217September 24, 2019 2:19 AM

Remember the recent story about the boy who ate Pringles and white bread only and went blind? How is eating only rice and pancakes better? Are nutritional deficiencies contributing to the behaviors and difficulties she and her sister experience? The whole situation, including the FAS is really troubling.

This is such an important issue. The message should not be highjacked by this messenger.

by Anonymousreply 218September 24, 2019 2:19 AM

She has several clear markers of FAS.

by Anonymousreply 219September 24, 2019 2:20 AM

Meant to say "particulates from China" waft into western states. Damn autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 220September 24, 2019 2:23 AM

Can any of you mental health experts explain how she made the boat trip? I didn't quite understand that. Was she alone in the boat or was someone traveling with her? Was it good for her mental health to be making that boat trip?

by Anonymousreply 221September 24, 2019 2:26 AM

Actually, it is that China and India have enormous carbon footprints since they now are the chief cheap goods makers for the world. That has also come with localized environmental degradation. Additionally, the population in African countries is increasing at a rate that is simply unsupportable, particularly if they all desire a Western standard of living.

Back to Greta, the mother should be ashamed given what happened to this child before birth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 24, 2019 2:28 AM

Her message is ridiculously bleak. She is the product of a society and education system that is creating a bunch of coddled basket cases, of which we are beginning to see in the US.

by Anonymousreply 223September 24, 2019 2:33 AM

Autism is a form of retardation too

by Anonymousreply 224September 24, 2019 2:33 AM

An adoptive mother of a FAS child - a saint!

A mother of a FAS child - best to deflect and layer on a heap of other labels to describe behaviors and challenges and hope that all of the glaring physical signifiers are not commented upon.

Agree, R223, and for entertainment they listen to performers who glory in mental issues, with many ODing at young ages. The Halsey, Lil Peep, etc, benzo/weed generation.

by Anonymousreply 225September 24, 2019 2:36 AM

China has the largest carbon footprint in the world. Greta dare not go lecture there, the Chinese govt kills children. They would not tolerate being lectured and shouted at, never mind act as though she was a sage and cheer her on.

She says rebel - what does that actually MEAN? She did a spoken word thing with a pop group that is being used to brainwash/greenwash tens of thousands of kids - but to what end? I have listened and am still mystified - anyne?

On a practical level, if coddled and used to support the family tends not to work well with neurotypical child stars, what will happen to Greta and her sister? They hardly sound like they are being raised to be able to live independently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 24, 2019 2:42 AM

SPEAK! Indigo child! SPEAK! Lead us all to The Promised Land of Social Justice, Equity, and Marxist-Leninist Paradise! Only you and AOC know the truth!

by Anonymousreply 227September 24, 2019 2:57 AM

I forgot about Indigo children, lol.

Anyone else catch this bit?

"The eyes of all future generations are upon you, and if you choose to fail us, I say, we will never forgive you. We will not let you get away with this.”

Um, WTF? Really, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 228September 24, 2019 3:04 AM

Autism IS a nicer label, but for all of those pesky and unmistakable physical features. Any mother who would drink heavily during 2 pregnancies (a la Britney) and then exploit their child to be a spokesperson for a movement, depriiving them of needed peer interaction and the resources of a special needs school has questionable morals, despite being a lauded enviro herself and going way back with Al Gore. Poor kid never stood a chance and when the attention goes away, will she have the resources to cope or will she return her need to control to self harm? Her sister sounds equally troubled. The well being of these kids was not a priority even before birth. The parents should literally be shamed for their disregard.

Social and behavioral issues Problems in functioning, coping and interacting with others may include:

Difficulty in school Trouble getting along with others Poor social skills Trouble adapting to change or switching from one task to another Problems with behavior and impulse control Poor concept of time Problems staying on task Difficulty planning or working toward a goal

Physical defects may include:

Distinctive facial features, including small eyes, an exceptionally thin upper lip, a short, upturned nose, and a smooth skin surface between the nose and upper lip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229September 24, 2019 3:11 AM

R224 I wouldn't exactly put it that way. Many factors can cause mental retardation, including chromosomal aberrations, like autism there isn't just one cause but a combination of genetics, epigenetic factors, maternal exposure to infectious agents, traumatic birth, metabolic causes etc... Some individuals with autism spectrum disorder also have intellectual disability and vice versa, but that's not to say that people who are on the higher functioning end of autism spectrum are less intelligent than the general population. There's great heterogeneity in this disorder, and Greta clearly is on the high functioning end of the spectrum because her global cognitive function is quite high. I think being on the autism spectrum is the least of Greta's mental health concerns.

by Anonymousreply 230September 24, 2019 3:14 AM

for all the people here who have criticized Greta would you please list your accomplishments and what you have done to influence others to to do something about the catastrophe we are facing with climate change. Also a list of what you have done to help stop climate change. thank you.

by Anonymousreply 231September 24, 2019 3:18 AM

After watching today, anyone doubt the emotional regulation piece?

Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, which result from prenatal alcohol exposure, are a group of developmental disorders that result in a range of impairments in the areas of impulse control, task planning, social skills, and emotion regulation.

Has anyone read the book? Anyone have more info about the family?

by Anonymousreply 232September 24, 2019 3:19 AM

She thinks she can hold all adults on ransom like she most likely does with her parents her many illnesses, which is the lot of affluent parents. Their children are ruling them in one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 233September 24, 2019 4:25 AM

Malala and Greta make me very uncomfortable at how obviously they're being exploited by their parents.

by Anonymousreply 234September 24, 2019 4:38 AM

How is the holy maid? I hear she prophesies in the North?

by Anonymousreply 235September 24, 2019 10:21 AM

She has to be on meds now, or has some very negligent doctors and omg! Those parents.. We all know about global warming. She’s no prophet, nor is she some prodigy. She should go lecture China and India and Africa, where she will just get laughed at. 30 yrs. of shrinking and I saw tons of such kids and their oddball parents. This whole show of some ascetic, monk like, weird kid, lecturing adults and progressively getting angrier is really horrible. This is the beginning of a cult like mentality among children(yes, children) who don’t want to address overpopulation and are just beginning their education about technology, biology, and so much more. What kind of nutty talk is “we won’t forgive you?”. Wtf??? And yes, no way could she have made that boat trip without heavy meds on board (sorry, but really....) I spent my childhood living on the seas with my sailor father(Engineer) on cargo ships. Of course watching the seas deteriorate hurts me. Such arrogance to think that scaring some billionaires will fix the population explosion and everything that goes long with it.

Honestly, I think she will leave and go back to wherever and will be forgotten politely. Maybe she will get help from somewhere. She reminds me of that terrible Damien kid from Omen. That movie scared me to death.

by Anonymousreply 236September 24, 2019 11:37 AM

Reply 236 Correction: The population explosion and everything that goes along with it(not “long” with it. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 237September 24, 2019 11:49 AM

Or like her sister does, R233.

I know several families with kids on the spectrum and one with kids adopted from Russia who have FAS. None have had an easy time but none let a tween control how a parent walked, either. That need to externalize control of an adult body leaves no figure (literally!) left to be in control, to reassure, to model. The parents are not actually helping the kids here but are continuing patterns that are going to be impossible to sustain and harder for the kids when they are broken. Holy dysfunction Batman, they all need really intensive help, the kind the special needs school might have provided some of, if, you know, they were there. She must have some sort of malnutrition on top of it all, white carbs are a go to for kids with FAS or on the spectrum, but offer little in the way of vitamins. Over time, often with zinc therapy, other foods need to be added.

It all has a bit of a Balloon Boy vibe about it to me and watching her yesterday was alarming about her, not the planet. Not the right messenger for either the cause or the kid. What will happen to her when attention turns elsewhere? Where will the seething anger at rejection from peers, etc, go? Remember, she has said that this has made her feel popular.

Let her go make a speech in China and see how that goes? China taking on the role of manufacturing for the world has given them the biggest carbon footprint.

by Anonymousreply 238September 24, 2019 12:31 PM

It’s a deflection tactic of sorts to say well, have you done more than Greta? If not then you shouldn’t critique her actions and words or more importantly her parents and financial backers. Should people do more than merely recycling and paying lip service to environmental concerns? Absolutely. But should they forfeit the right to raise questions and alarms in Greta’s case? Absolutely not. However, I do see certain posts going overboard with presumption of FAS as fact and attacking her looks, and I don’t agree with that at all.

My concerns with Greta is not with the overall message of environmental pollution/ climate change the basis of which I wholly agree and support. Issue is with the way in which she presents the message e.g. style and contents. Greta presents her message in an overly emotional, personal manner and in doing so she personifies the movement. Emotionalizing any sociopolitical movement is not a good thing ever. I’m discomforted by using emotional appeals in sociopolitical messages because it’s what demagogues have utilized with favorable results in recent history. Favorable results that translate into power but at the expense of appeal to reason/ science and educating the public on that basis.

Right now Greta’s speeches and antics betray a teen with serious mental health disorders who is also emotionally dysregulated. Someone whose internalization of anxiety is directly related to her preoccupation with climate change. She speaks in terms of black and white, either/ or, essentially encouraging others especially those in her age cohort, to bypass critical, nuanced thinking in favor of blame and misdirected anger. There is lack of emphasis on building coalitions, actual plans for change, promoting consensus for change, etc...

I’m forming my own views about Greta by her own words, actions, and known history. I’m no Repug and climate change denier, but one doesn’t have to be in order to have an unsettling feeling about her and her parents/ benefactors. The unsettling manners with which Greta imbues her message coupled with a feeling that she’s likely being exploited, these are all salient points that aren’t rooted in political agendas.

What’s known: Greta saying she feels popular as result of being a famous activist. Not attending school which supports her special needs. History of multiple, serious mental health disorders. Public displays and utterances of emotional dysregulation. Casting herself as martyr while blaming others via use of emotionally-charged language. Inability or unwillingness to forge consensus to further the movement. Are these traits healthy both for herself and the young people she hopes to influence? I don’t think so. This is a teenage girl whose mental health would be better served if she was attending school instead of giving emotional speeches “I should be at school.....I will never forgive you..,,”. Sorry but her symptoms do not appear to be well-controlled, in fact her front and center role at this movement actually worsens some symptoms of her OCD, anxiety , depression, and autism spectrum disorder.

Going back to doing our individual part. Environmental justice is the big umbrella under which climate change resides. I encourage everyone to seek out local and regional associations to do your own part from there. I was lucky to become a part of this organization linked below. Not many people know about this, but many us advanced practice nurses are involved in environmental justice. There are so many issues and the focus should not be solely on climate change: though everything is connected in some ways or another. My focus within environmental justice was/ is on exogenous chemicals and pollutants that we’re exposed to every day via the environment and household/ personal products as well as food/ food packaging. The public should be educated especially younger generations, about the connectivity of all these environmental issues instead of unduly sounding alarm at only climate change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 24, 2019 5:48 PM

Thanks for the link, R239.

I suspect FAS based on personal experience with kids with diagnosed FAS and the characteristic physical facial and ohter features. If she does have FAS and they (they could be calling it ASD or it could be co-morbid) that certainly would go directly to the issue of how her parents seem to be cavelier about her well being in all of this.

I remain puzzled as to what exactly Greta would have us do? What does resist mean in this context?

Remember when being an enviro focused on reducing and re-using items/objects? This all has such a capitalist feel. If many bought local food and supported local businesses, that would certainly help reduce carbon emissions. If people defered purchases and repaired things, the cheap crap from China would have fewer buyers. If we supported local mom & pop stores and eliminated Amazon purchases no more need for the deliveries and packaging for only a few items. It would help in other ways too, helping to create and sustain local jobs and build social ties and a community.

A lot of green washing seems to be an attempt to re-brand some toxic substance so it will not have to be disposed of properly (which costs $). The rubber playround surfaces full of lead from old tires is one example. Rather than dispose of toxic rubber properly, now kids and school gardens (through runoff) are being exposed to high levels of multiple toxins. It was aggressively promoted and installations happened quickly, now the problem is widespread. Unintended consequences of wind turbines (birds) and solar energy (rays going to panels rather than the ground) may be similar. The sense of urgency and appeals to emotion across all of this seem similar to me. The carbon credits and cap and trade, I am no Catholic, but I thought the Pope himself called BS on that industry quite candidly, yet it is still being pushed?

I feel for this kid and really fear she will have a hard time coping when this all goes away. I am not sure why raising attention could not go along with some concrete ideas for people to adopt if they so choose. And why not talk about the population issues candidly or the non-Western countries and their enormous carbon footprint? Since most of the West has outsourced manufacturing to China, we all bear responsibility and share the planet, why are they out of bounds for discussion?

by Anonymousreply 240September 25, 2019 2:01 AM

Greta has no charisma or warmth. She cares nothing for humanity.

by Anonymousreply 241September 25, 2019 2:23 AM

[quote]Greta has no charisma or warmth. She cares nothing for humanity.

Team Greta.

by Anonymousreply 242September 25, 2019 2:32 AM

I prefer to get all my science information from hysterical 16 year old autists.

by Anonymousreply 243September 25, 2019 2:35 AM

Her parents need to allow her to step away from this for awhile. Let her catch her breath. I’m uncomfortable with the criticism on Greta. When I first heard about her and her parents are in entertainment, I thought these parents are using her for publicity. Now, I’m convinced. This child is headed for a nervous at such a young age. Mind you, she brought out how horrible the mindset of republicans can be. Wishing for her death?

Decades ago, people couldn’t fathom how Hitler became prominent and had people do unspeakable things. We are actually living that! If the ICE camps are dismissed, the anti will always be raised. We’re used to this now so euthanasia won’t even raise eyebrow.

by Anonymousreply 244September 25, 2019 8:47 AM

She also reminds me of Dian Fossey. She had a noble cause, in theory, but her strident personality (and cult thereof) did more harm than good. And it didn’t end well.

The troubling part is that Greta is a child, not an adult.

I don’t even think that the insults about her appearance or disorder affect her.

by Anonymousreply 245September 25, 2019 10:31 AM

What do you know? Miss Greta has just been awarded $102,000. What will she do with the money?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246September 25, 2019 4:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!