Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Store Closings

3 clothing stores in my area that I've been shopping at for ages have gone out of business recently. Wtf? 2 I'd heard were closing but the other 1 I went to today and there are big signs saying they were closing and everything had to go. I was so surprised. I mean, I realize most everyone does their shopping online these days but still, there are some of us who still like to shop in actual stores. What does this mean for the future of brick and mortar businesses? Will they cease to exist at all and will everyone have no choice but to shop online? It really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2019 3:58 AM

I love online shopping. Hate going into stores

The only shopping I like, in a store, is food shopping. Like going to Sprouts and Whole Foods

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 2:46 AM

I like to shop in actual clothing stores so that I can try on things before buying them. You can't do that when you buy clothes online. And then if you order them online and they're not right or don't fit etc. you have to go through the hassle of returning them in the mail.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 2:52 AM

Everyone I know complains about the extremely poor quality of customer service in almost all retail stores and especially the chains, unless they still live in an extremely small town. Don't blame those that have turned to Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 3:06 AM

I shop online but if a business doesn't offer free return shipping, I won't purchase it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 3:13 AM

I shop at thrift stores and Goodwill. Amazing bargains and they’re very busy. Someone is shopping in person; all of us clever

No idea how people buy clothing without trying them on. Even brands like Banana Republic are inconsistent with their sizing and cuts. It doesn’t matter as much with socks or polo shirts, but pants?

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 3:32 AM

Were they large/chain stores, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 3:34 AM

Yes, r6 And I just looked at a list of stores that will be closing within the next year and quite a few are major retailers.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 1:24 PM

I love online shopping but am pretty much stuck with Amazon because of all the package theft in our neighborhood. (I'm logging lots of trips to Whole Foods to use the Amazon pick-up lockers.) Ironically, I've begun doing more bricks and mortar shopping because of that in the last six months.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 2:04 PM

I live in St. Louis. Last week, Sears announced it is closing the last, full-line department store in the metro area. For the first time since 1928, St. Louis will be without a Sears department store. Not to mention that all the home grown department stores are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 2:08 PM

I rented a PO Box just for accepting packages ordered online. Some retailers use carriers that will not deliver to PO Boxes, but I've learned to use the street address of the post office along with the box number and the post office is happy to accept and hold the packages for me. They simply put a card in my box, and I pick up the item at the counter. I've gotten into the habit of buying online as the stores I like to shop at aren't located nearby, and being pretty tall and broad shouldered, stores usually don't carry my size. I generally reserve my shopping to a few select brands, and they are pretty consistent with sizing. Another hint: the sale and or clearance items online at Saks and Neiman Marcus are generally cheaper than their discount branches.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 2:12 PM

The retail apocalypse isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

Eight months into 2019, there have already been 29% more store closings announced than in all of 2018.

Based on Coresight Research's figures, retailers' earnings reports, bankruptcy filings and other records, more than 7,600 stores are slated to shutter this year and thousands of locations already gone.

Bankrupt footwear company Payless ShoeSource, which closed its remaining U.S. stores in late June, accounts for about 37% of the closings

Sears and Kmart store closings list: 21 Sears and 5 Kmart locations to close in October

Walgreens store closings: Drugstore chain plans to close 200 U.S. stores, according to new SEC filing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 2:17 PM

We all went to Montgomery Ward's for back-to-school shopping- and it wasn't there anymore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 2:59 PM

Stores did it to themselves.

There were lots of different clothing stores.

Chain stores came about. They undercut prices at independently owned stores and put them all out of business. Then they moved into malls.

I happen to live a 3 hour drive from the nearest mall. It was torture to buy clothes. My mom loves bed closer to a mall but she stopped going because of the traffic and looking for a parking space.

Now I buy online. I don't have to travel to a mall to buy clothing. I order several sizes, try them on at home and send back the ones that don't fit. People like my mom don't have to fight traffic and drive around looking for parking.

When I was growing up every town had clothing stores on Main Street. If you couldn't find anything you went to the next town over.

Things change

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 3:00 AM

And they kidnap your children in malls

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 1:58 PM

I went to a large 2 level sporting goods store yesterday and only saw ONE employee the whole time. N o wonder people order online.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 2:25 PM

Why did you need employees around r15 ? You needed them to hold your hand while you buy tennis balls ? And I don't see how it correlates with people buying online. What an odd comment.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 3:10 PM

Sad to see a lot of these comments. As shitty as some store experiences can be, I would NEVER want a majority of my buying/ shopping to be online.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 3:13 PM

Aww, good for you, dear.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 3:19 PM

Laziness and entitlement is what's propelling society into a Wall-E esque future where people will just spend their lives in front of a screen ordering everything they need without having to lift their fat asses from the couch.

How fucking sad.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 3:35 PM

All that home shopping can't be good for the environment. It makes people buy more junk, then it all has to be shipped around the world, and sometimes returned.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 5:09 PM

[quote]I love online shopping.

[quote]Don't blame those that have turned to Amazon.

[quote]Now I buy online. I don't have to travel to a mall to buy clothing. I order several sizes, try them on at home and send back the ones that don't fit.

Agree R5, R16, R17,R19, and R20.

Online shoppers claim ease and efficiency. However, individual shipping and mass returns have huge impacts on the environment. So the "ease" and "efficiency" is for the sitting individual clicking away on a tech screen - while ordering multiples to be sent back that don't fit! - which involves further effort for others, deleterious emissions and wasteful packaging. Does not seem easeful or efficient at all.

Do sense that many onliner shoppers have limited perception.

With a greater vision, these individuals could see their overall impacts on the environment and all the efforts imposed on others: the processing of shipping, the package handlers, the planes of overnight/immediate delivery transport, the store and warehousing pickers...and on and on. While online shoppers claims of less effort on their part, they do so by placing more effort on others and a burden on the Earth.

Online purchasing may be revolutionary for the disabled, or incapacitated.

While appreciating the "ease" of onliners, ultimately a devastated planet that does not reproduce resources, may result in little to no "shopping".

I recognise the caricature, but I have visions of many obese online shoppers, too lazy and insolent to move themselves out of their own protected bubble to see the greater impacts of THEIR own (lack of physical) actions.

It's a sad vision.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 5:59 PM

Great post R21

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2019 6:16 PM

I own a small shop in LA and my neighbor closed her place due to poor sales about a year ago. A year later and customers stop in asking when and why she closed. I want to say because you didn't fucking shop there for a year but instead I just blame Trump. I'm probably not far behind.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 12:36 AM

I'm in Houston and I think that the malls are economizing by raising the thermostat this summer. I don't remember it being hot inside like this in the past. It's really uncomfortable in all of them. I do not plan to go again until the temperature drops.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2019 12:46 AM

I'm with r10, have everything delivered to the street address of my PO. I don't think theft is a big problem in my neighborhood but the front door is only a couple feet from the sidewalk so why take chances?

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2019 1:00 AM

Yeah R23, I hate when people act surprised that a store closed when they never bothered to patronize it in the first place

What did your neighbor's shop sell?

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2019 1:02 AM

I love to browse through stores for bargains, but being pretty tall, I often have to order clothing online. I also have a PO Box for delivery of merchandise ordered online, as my front door is also very close to a busy street. I have learned to "defeat" stores that will not ship to a PO Box by using the street address of the post office, followed simply by the number without mentioning the word "box." The post office gladly receives parcels from UPS, FedEx, and DHL for me. I started going through resale shops mainly looking for interesting books and CDs, but I have to admit that I have found brand new designer suits, not cuffed, pockets still sewn together, in my size, for $12. I've also found better deals on the "Sale" pages of high end department stores than at their discount branches, i.e., on the Neiman Marcus sale tab as opposed to Neiman Marcus Last Call.

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 2:36 AM

The only stores where i can buy clothing are many miles away from me (since I won't count Family Dollar),. I would prefer to buy my clothing in a store, but i have to plan to drive across the county, and I really hate driving. And it's frustrating when you're looking for something very specific, and end up spending hours visiting different stores, and still not finding what you're looking for. That's a waste of gasoline (and time). I have a PO Box, and have some of my deliveries sent there, but I work from home, and keep an eye out when I know a delivery should be arriving shortly. My orthopedic surgeon recently gave me instructions on how to exercise the arm that i broke, and they involved elastic bands. I tried looking to see if any of the department stores in the county carried them, but eventually gave up and ordered a set from Amazon. They were delivered in a large, padded envelope, so it was just handled like any other piece of mail.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 2:58 AM

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote] while ordering multiples to be sent back that don't fit! - which involves further effort for others, deleterious emissions and wasteful packaging.

The "multiples that don't fit!" go right back into the packaging they came in and are given either to the USPS mail deliverer when he comes to the house or the UPS deliverer or dropped off at UPS during a grocery shopping trip town, where it gets put together with other packages. No more packaging or gas is wasted and than driving back and forth to a mall. In fact, it's less gas since the mall is an hour and a half drive each way.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 3:20 AM

I simply don't know WHAT I'll do when the last Dress Barn closes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2019 3:51 AM

[quote] while ordering multiples to be sent back that don't fit! - which involves further effort for others, deleterious emissions and wasteful packaging. The "multiples that don't fit!" go right back into the packaging they came in and are given either to the USPS mail deliverer when he comes to the house or the UPS deliverer or dropped off at UPS during a grocery shopping trip town, where it gets put together with other packages. No more packaging or gas is wasted and than driving back and forth to a mall. In fact, it's less gas since the mall is an hour and a half drive each way.

You're obviously going to do you.

But what about when the "multiple returns" leave your hands?

As mentioned above. Difficult for many to have an overview perspective. Me. Me. Me.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2019 3:59 AM

[quote]Sad to see a lot of these comments. As shitty as some store experiences can be, I would NEVER want a majority of my buying/ shopping to be online.

Then some stores need to step it up a bit.

1. Get good customer service. The last time I went to buy something I was ignored by the sales attendant I even asked for help from. She went and tried to help 4 people who didn't buy anything. Meanwhile I was ready to make a purchase and knew exactly what I wanted. I ordered it online afterwards and wrote a letter to the store. If that's not the problem then it's workers talking instead of working or an entire floor with no one around at all to help find something.

2. Get a variety of things people might actually want in the sizes they want. The last time I bought pants in a store I could not find a size 28 waste in anything I was looking at.

3. Have competitive pricing. I went to buy a computer part once and the person actually told me to go online because it would be cheaper apropos of nothing. She was right. It was cheaper by 35 dollars. At least Best Buy has price matching & they will gladly look at your phone if you can pull up an ad and lower the price.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2019 4:35 AM

R26 She sold candles, cards, a few antiques. Cute shop-she was there almost 5 years and DTLA is rough so I applaud her for lasting that long.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote] But what about when the "multiple returns" leave your hands?

I told you what happens. They go back in the package they came in and are handed to the postal worker when he comes to the house to deliver mail. Or they go to the UPS driver when he makes another delivery or they get dropped off at UPS in town when I go to town to do my grocery shopping.

At any rate, I don't have to sit in my car in traffic for the three hour round trip to the mall and back, nor do I use the gas for a 3 hour mall trip.

USPS and UPS are going to be delivering to a ton of other people in my neighborhood anyway, so why not? Think of all the fossil fuel the entire neighborhood is saving by not driving multiple vehicles to stores and back.

[quote] Me.Me.Me

Ok.

You.You.You

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2019 8:36 PM

In other words....she sold useless junk r34

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2019 11:15 PM

"Oh I miss that shop! I used to go in there and look around and buy a birthday card once a year."

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2019 11:24 PM

I still like outlet malls, the nice ones. I don't go to them often though.

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2019 11:26 PM

R36 - Exactly! Those kinds of stores won't last in today's economy. If its a niche store without a huge following then its doomed.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2019 11:33 PM

Outlet malls were supposed to revitalize marginal areas. It was envisioned that hordes would descend on the weekends and pump much needed capital into the local economy. They put a huge one in a depressed area about 1/2 hr away from me. Turns out it only makes money from Thanksgiving to December 26.

They cut down acres of forest and wetlands to build it.

The town is still building more retail stores even though stores already there routinely go out of business and leave behind empty buildings. Chain stores refuse to adapt architecturally to anything they didn't build themselves.

The town has been begging Trader Joe's to open a store since 2003 and Trader Joe's refuses to open a store there even though the town promised to give them a great deal. The area just doesn't meet TJ's research-based qualifications.

by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2019 11:38 PM

Meh, I still have Nordstrom. Fuck you Flyoverstani.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2019 11:41 PM

Stuff I want are not readily accessible- internet buying has been a godsend. For example, there’s a particular brand of polish I want. Look all over town and can’t find it. A minutes on the computer and I get in 4 days.

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2019 11:47 PM

Outlets also used to sell slightly irregular, returned or last season's merchandise for a discount. Everyone caught onto the fact that manufacturers were just making their own inferior products to sell at their outlets by the 1990s. The outlet mall near me was busing foreign tourists from NYC to the outlets because no one else wanted to shop there. Tour outfits made a visit to the outlet a feature "Your New York vacation will include a visit a to a discount shopping area where you will find clothes, electronics, cosmetics, sports equipment and much more at incredibly low prices!"

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2019 11:56 PM

[quote] "Your New York vacation will include a visit a to a discount shopping area where you will find clothes, electronics, cosmetics, sports equipment and much more at incredibly low prices!"

So, Times Square in the 70s

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2019 12:17 AM

There is an outlet mall in the Chicago area, in Rosemont, right next to O'Hare Field. The mall has quite a few high end stores as tenants, such as Zegna, Prada, Gucci, Brunello Cuccinelli, Neiman Marcus, Saks, as well as bunch of ladies brands I am not familiar with. It seems that tourists coming from the Far East arrive on morning flights here, grab a quick shuttle over to the mall, load up on designer stuff, and connect with a afternoon flight later in the day. I admit that I do hit the mall monthly, and the better brands do sell only one line of merchandise. I personally prefer Zegna, and sometimes Cuccinelli. I wouldn't be afraid of buying their items on line as I am familiar with their sizing which is pretty consistant. The retailers, NM, Saks, Bloomingdale, Nordstrom, etc., do have special lines manufactured for their outlet stores. As I mentioned earlier, I usually find I can find better deals on the "sale" or "clearance" section of the retailers' websites as opposed to shopping their outlets.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2019 1:15 AM

43 I thought that was common knowledge. Found plenty of great deals for a price closer to what their actually worth. I haven't been in ages but I never actually noticed any major imperfections that would be noticeable to anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2019 1:50 AM

I've been having pretty good luck at Marshall's- not sure if they are nationwide. I like Robert Graham shirts, which are usually $175-ish and found 2 for $39.99. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

You do have to go regularly though.

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote] I live in St. Louis. Last week, Sears announced it is closing the last, full-line department store in the metro area. For the first time since 1928, St. Louis will be without a Sears department store.

I don't understand how Sears or Kmart can be a going concern. No one can go to any of their fucking stores!

They'll both be dead in 5-10 years, but the only good thing about their slow death is that it's slow. If they shut down all at once, it would in all likelihood trigger a recession. Their business(es) may not be what they once were, but Sears and Kmart's real estate holdings are pretty massive.

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2019 2:25 AM

[quote] I could not find a size 28 waste

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2019 2:26 AM

I don't know how much longer Macy's and Dillards are going to hold on. Shopping at either is a terrible experience. I keep praying that it gets better, but it just keeps getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2019 2:26 AM

Parking lots and warehouses are the future of city landscapes.

by Anonymousreply 51August 21, 2019 2:27 AM

I forget where it was, but one city turned a mall into condos and it looked pretty nice- lots of parking!

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2019 3:09 AM

They have a mall like that in Boston, I think. I can't find a picture of the one I'm thinking of. Honestly, I think it would be fun too live at the mall. It would feel like living in an urban center or a small town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2019 11:16 AM

That's what malls were actually originally designed to do - have mixed use, in some cases residential space, blended with stores and community space.

But developers only used the indoor store part in the 50s and 60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2019 2:22 PM

R36 I suppose you could say that but people do like home decor and candles otherwise we'd all just live in boxes. And I think to deride her ambition and dream of being her own boss is just not something I would do. I don't shop at Ross or Marshall's so I applaud her for trying to bring something nice to DTLA.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2019 7:20 PM

R55, Your friend managed to have a nice shop in downtown LA for 5 years and that's quite a feat.

It's more impressive than anything the useless queen at R36 will ever do

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2019 1:51 AM

Your friend wasted 5 years of her life and had to declare bankruptcy over a dream to sell cards and candles r55. Yes....cards and candles. Let that sink in.

R56 types hysterical tacky frau. You deserve to be shot with a bazooka.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2019 2:02 AM

R57, at least she had the balls to set up her own business, that's something a mediocre, serf queen like you will never have.

Also, take that bazooka and shove it up your hideous ass.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2019 3:22 AM

R57 I’ve had my own practice since my mid 20s...thanks for playing, you sad twat.

Why so mad? Did your candle pyramid marketing scheme bankrupt you and cost you all you friends?

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2019 3:51 AM

In Connecticut, bored Wall Street housewives love to start businesses. They call themselves “mompreneurs.” The husband gives them a huge check to get it started. The local newspaper does a big, fawning article about it. Then six months later, when she gets bored with it and/or realizes a successful business actually requires WORK, she ditches it.

Businesses they favor include:

1.) Greeting card, novelty and knickknack shops

2.) Bakeries or chocolate shops

3.) Homemade jewelry (this is a favorite)

4.) Something child-centric (One lady started a business making fancy hair ribbon barrettes. Another one started her own website, which essentially just linked to a whole bunch of children’s activities in our area)

5.) Pilates/Yoga studios.

I have the utmost respect for small business owners who make a serious go of it. However, the proliferation of these vanity businesses started by bored spouses who just want something to do all day are impossible to take seriously. More than anything, though, they highlight the STUPID amount of money these Wall Street guys make (and 90% of them are men—not trying to be sexist, it’s just the reality of Wall Street), to the point where they can provide startup money for businesses that they know will fail just to keep their gorgeous but useless wives busy.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2019 11:06 AM

I live in a new-ish neighboorhood that has expensive rents and is very trendy.

But we have so few useful stores here. Everything is focused on the 24-32 year old frauettes.

We have swaths of empty retail space and yet the only places that have opened are:

- Nail salons

- Dermatologists

- Dentists

- Yoga or fitness studios

- Trendy places that sell you 5 dollar salads for $23

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2019 12:50 PM

I do a lot of online shopping @Lands End. I prefer classic clothing that never goes out of style, and I find that their sizing is always consistent. Their clothing wears like iron, and is on sale every day, usually at 40% off.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2019 1:02 PM

Economy is definitely slowing down...so many stores are sitting empty and it's not all Amazon's fault. Many went of biz are restaurants... I see Marshall's eviction notices slapped on these stores (non payment of rent). and the homeless just camp outside these empty storefronts day and night.

Among stores that are opening up are pet focused like Vets, 2 just opened in my area.

I try to limit my online purchases. Unless I know the item I will be getting exactly. I recently bought jeans on Levis website. They had a 75% off warehouse sale (only online). I prefer to give my biz to mom and pop stores, even if I have to pay a couple dollars extra.

I stay away from Amazon. I go to the online store directly if I want to buy. Fuck Jeff Bozo the clown.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote] I do a lot of online shopping @Lands End. I prefer classic clothing that never goes out of style, and I find that their sizing is always consistent. Their clothing wears like iron, and is on sale every day, usually at 40% off.

I loved them for years but they did something to make the flat front chinos I get differently - probably cheaper. The seat is now super baggy on them. Or maybe the rise is longer (I have shirt legs).

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2019 3:38 PM

^*short

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2019 3:38 PM

R64 ......... 😜 Could you post a picture of your shirt legs, please ?

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2019 3:48 PM

R64 You're suffering from age related droopy flat ass syndrome. Try the ones with the built-in butt lift.

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2019 3:52 PM

Or just order a Hubba-Hubba Heinie from Frederick's of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2019 4:51 AM

R59, if you think that having your own "practice" makes you immune to financial misfortune then , on top of being a pretentious sack of shit, you're also pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2019 12:35 PM

So bitter r69

You must have had several “businesses” fail, and you realized that your stupidity and misjudgment were so the sole cause.

Did you cash in your retirement account? You lost your home because of bankruptcy? Did your partner leave you? Is shouting at strangers on the Internet the only way for you to distract yourself from your numerous mistakes that you will never recover from?

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2019 3:40 PM

After I discovered Ali Express, I never shopped anywhere else thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2019 3:51 PM

In my area Banana Republic and The Gap closed. That's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2019 4:09 PM

I think the next store to close will be Papyrus. I hardly see anyone in there and few people are buying cards, most people I know are texting greetings etc.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2019 4:13 PM

Bear in mind that all these retailers are having trouble during a good economy that's being driven largely by consumer spending.

If a recession hits and people start buying less, even more of them will go under.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal is reporting today that Amazon sells "thousands of banned, unsafe or mislabeled products."

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2019 5:18 PM

I shop mostly online, and I won’t lie, I dread the fact that now I’m expected to worry about howthis impacts the environment, workers, and other businesses. I just wanna shop, ya know? But I will do it, though begrudgingly.....sigh. I’m not sure though how I’m supposed to adjust my shopping anyway? Half of what I buy isn’t available nearby. Also, for example with clothing, I tend to buy high quality clothes that are made in day Italy. Isn’t that better than made in China? And much of what I buy on Amazon is household stuff. Where else do I buy from (online)? Ace? Home Depot? It feels the same as buying from Amazon as there are no longer independent stores that sell household items. Or food.

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2019 6:08 PM

Yes, you should shop directly from Home Depot online first before buying on Amazon. There are so many fake products on Amazon. They are too big to check on everything...they don't have time to do it. You're better off buying directly from the store's online website. They have seasonal sales and deals.

I try not to buy from Amazon coz they treat their employees like utter shit. I will not support them by giving them my business.

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2019 6:21 PM

But isn’t Home Depot owned by a homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2019 6:22 PM

r77 Here we go again. Apparently you have no idea how publicly-traded corporations work. HINT: They don't have an "owner."

by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2019 3:15 AM

They do, however, have a CEO, who could very well be a homophobe (and the shareholders don't care).

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2019 6:01 PM

There was a sign at Target today saying they have raised the thermostat temporarily due to the heat.

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2019 7:07 PM

With all of the criticism out outlet malls, I am consistently surprised at the level of service from the Ermenegildo Zegna outlet stores. Just got a personal invitation for a pre sale event, and all I have to do is advise them what items I am thinking about buying, and they will have a selection awaiting me. I am buying all of my better casual and dress clothes from Zegna anymore, again, due to consistent sizing. Admittedly, even as an outlet they aren't cheap, but their clothing is timeless. On the other end of the spectrum, I love Blain's Farm and Fleet is my store of choice for jeans, t-shirts, and work clothes. A pair of Lee slim fit straight leg jeans, a t shirt, and my shitkicker work boots can be a pretty good look for me.

by Anonymousreply 81August 29, 2019 1:21 AM

I like crap stores in the USA. You do them the best! Crap stores are crappy in Western Europe and overpriced. Well, they are OK in Germany because the Turkish run them and shop there and won't be fooled by subpar, overpriced imported crap. Otherwise I have luxury tastes and luxury retailing is doing fine in city centres and resorts in Europe. I love shopping in London, Vienna, and Milan during the sale weeks, and the summer and ski resorts, off season, when prices are slashed 80%. The ski resorts are so fucking ridiculous with the pricing, so I don't buy in season, but it's good for a laugh. I think of Bubbles in Klosters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2019 1:36 AM

[quote] There was a sign at Target today saying they have raised the thermostat temporarily due to the heat.

Why would you do that?

by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2019 1:47 AM

[quote] I try not to buy from Amazon coz they treat their employees like utter shit

Yeah but Home Depot treats the 4 employees in each of their stores real well with health care and vacation time and sick time and a pension, right?

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2019 1:49 AM

I try to shop in stores as much as possible but occasionally cave and shop at Amazon. I almost never buy clothes online. I guess I try to do a 50-50 split.

by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2019 2:13 AM

Forever 21 considers filing for potential bankruptcy, according to Bloomberg.

Shitty clothes nobody will miss.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2019 3:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!