Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Male DLers: Do you work in a "rainbow-collar" job or in a professional field that is dominated by women?

Are you in a rainbow-collar job like hairdresser, fashion stylist, retail associate, health care aide, executive assistant or florist?

Or are you in a professional job that is dominated by females like nursing, HR, PR, or fashion?

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2019 7:48 PM

I work in a library that is 80% women. I'm the only gay man on staff, the rest are all white guys married to Asian women or Asian guys married to Asian women.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 2:44 AM

Librarian (or any library job) would definitely rate as a "Professional job in a field that is heavily female"

Ditto teaching elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 2:46 AM

Do you have any female co-workers at the genius factory R2?

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 2:49 AM

No.

I work in manufacturing. I'm the only gay guy among 250 production employees. There's a dozen lesbians though.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 2:50 AM

An angry librarian at that.

Too many people not speaking in a whisper today perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 2:53 AM

Is "production employee" someone who works on the assembly line?

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 2:54 AM

"They needed us before that damn internet came along! You wanted to know something? You had to know the Dewey Decimal System! Now, all you have to do is ask fucking Alexa. It's a crying shame I tell you! What's next? Self-driving cars????"

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 2:55 AM

Work in a male dominated field and very good at what I do. Out to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 2:57 AM

Librarians are actually well-suited to navigating the new information age R7.

And "production employee" is another way of saying "Amazon picker".

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 3:02 AM

So close to one-third of DLers responding to this poll admit to working in a female-dominated professions.

And no one is a shop bottom.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 3:19 AM

My boss and most of my co-workers are women. I'm not a professional, just an hourly wage slave. But I like my boss and my co-workers, and they like me. And yes, I'm an out gay man.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 3:33 AM

Would we call advertising female-dominated? There are a lot of high-power female advertising execs, but I wouldn't say it is female-dominated.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 3:36 AM

You probably out-earn the librarian R11.

And I guess it would depend on what your job actually was R12, but advertising itself still seems to attract a goodly percentage of straight men.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 3:37 AM

"rainbow-collar"?

Don't you mean "pink collar"? That's what it's always been called before.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 4:03 AM

I agree that "rainbow collar" just sounds stupid.

I've heard "pink-collar" before, but I assume it meant women-dominated professions, not gay males.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 4:36 AM

"Rainbow-collar" jobs are jobs that gay men have traditionally been stereotyped as having, not women. "Pink collar" is something else.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 11:16 AM

I retired as an Executive Assistant to an officer in a "Fortune Top Ten." They needed a man to meet the EEO requirements. My assistants were women.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 11:51 AM

Pink collar are female jobs

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 12:05 PM

I'm in PR - which is dominated by women - except in some of the high positions in the big PR agencies. I work in professional services - in the marketing dept - and there are only 3 men out of 30 total employees. I'm the only homo as far as I know, No dykes.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 12:47 PM

I'm in a blue-collar industry (I deliver beverages to restaurants and bars). There is only one woman the warehouse (she is in the business office). I'm the only out gay among the 60 or so warehouse workers/drivers. Most of my coworkers drive pickups, drink Bud Light, and listen to country music. I'm likely the only driver in the warehouse whose delivery truck radio is tuned to NPR.

No one seems to give a damn that I am gay.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 1:12 PM

Social services is another job dominated by women and POC, but most of the CEO's tend to be white men.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 1:50 PM

Shush, R5!

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 2:10 PM

r20 got any blood orange bold rock?

are burgers okay? i’ll light the grill around 7

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 2:31 PM

I prefer Lavender Lapel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 3:08 PM
by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 2:45 PM
by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2019 7:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!