Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just Another Day in the Simulation

The New York Times claims that scientists are planning experiments to prove that we are living in a simulated world, that our "world" is actually composed of simulated persons rather than real people.

Why would an advanced civilization create us as one version of a simulated world?

[quote]Think of it this way. If a researcher wants to test the efficacy of a new drug, it is vitally important that the patients not know whether they’re receiving the drug or a placebo. If the patients manage to learn who is receiving what, the trial is pointless and has to be canceled. In much the same way...if our universe has been created by an advanced civilization for research purposes, then it is reasonable to assume that it is crucial to the researchers that we don’t find out that we’re in a simulation.

[quote] If we were to prove that we live inside a simulation, this could cause our creators to terminate the simulation — to destroy our world.

What are the odds we are simulations rather than real people?

[quote] Elon Musk has said that the odds that we are not simulated are “one in billions.” Professor Smoot (physicist and Nobel laureate) estimates that the ratio of simulated to real people might be as high as 1,000,000,000,000 to 1.

[quote] If most people are simulations, Professor Bostrom concluded, the odds are good that we ourselves are simulations. Our world would be just one simulation of many, perhaps part of a research project created to study the history of civilization. As the physicist (and Nobel laureate) George Smoot has explained, “If you are an anthropologist/historian and want to understand the rise and fall of civilizations, then you will need to make very many simulations involving millions to billions of people.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2019 3:00 AM

The writer expresses horror at the idea that the advanced civilization watching over us would pull the plug on our world if we could prove we were a simulation. {{{{Poof}}}}, and we'd be gone. But it's actually a great way to go.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 1:17 AM

Wait...so not all of us are simulations? Some of us are real? Why are we not aware that we’re real? Or maybe we are on some level.

I’ve always had this feeling, ever since I was a child, that this isn’t the real world and this isn’t my real life. And that most of the people around me aren’t real. Or something. It’s a very vague feeling.

Could this be an indication that I’m actually a real person living inside a simulation? Maybe when I die, I’ll wake up in the real world (whatever that is) and be like...holy shit, that was a fucked up game!

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 1:25 AM

Just as I was dealing with parallel dimensions/multi-verses, now this shit.

Fuck you, Science!

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 1:35 AM

Well, that could explain this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 2:13 AM

Nothing new about the concept of our reality being a simulation. The Hindus believe we live in an illusion called Maya.

"Maya, (Sanskrit: “magic” or “illusion”) a fundamental concept in Hindu philosophy, notably in the Advaita (Nondualist) school of Vedanta. Maya originally denoted the magic power with which a god can make human beings believe in what turns out to be an illusion."

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 2:25 AM

My intellect can’t grasp these concepts, and I’m old enough to stop pretending. Just gonna keep doing my best to be a good person.

I hope they pull the plug on us so I don’t have to lose any more loved ones and the people who love me won’t have to lose me.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 2:41 AM

I do believe we are simulated people, but the explanations for this are always so elaborate, so fancy-schmancy: we're being studied by a highly advanced civilization with incomparable computer processing power, for a complex study of civilizations, blah-blah-blah.

The real explanation may be much simpler and make tons more sense: we're a simulated terrarium science project conducted by kids the 7th grade on a slightly more advanced planet, and the kids are failing the class.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 2:41 AM

This reminds me of my favourite Twilight Zone episode. The couple wakes up to find themselves living in a town where everything is fake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 2:41 AM

The plug doesn’t need to be pulled. We’re already doing it. Think of the huge jump we made in the past 100 years. We took this knowledge and elected cartoon characters as leaders. We’re de-evolving as humans with technological advancements still continuing.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 2:43 AM

R7 Simpsons did it!

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 2:46 AM

I wish there were a song with a refrain that ended with

[quote] 'Cause it's just another day in the sim-u-LA-tion.

I 'd sing it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 2:54 AM

But I LIKE this world! A lot.

I love the trees and the oceans and butterflies and my dog.

I love the moon and the deserts and the northern lights and the mountains.

The rest of y'all can go "poof"! Leave me here with the beauty of this planet.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 3:16 AM

Jim Carrey was in a movie about this very subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 3:16 AM

I just hope I'm one of their favourite characters.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 3:31 AM

What I can't understand is the "smart" people who think it is absurd to believe in God, and that He created us and our world, yet they feel it is perfectly sane to think that we and our world was created as a simulation by another advanced group. Either way you are believing that we live in a world that was not created "naturally," that we were not created "naturally," and that ultimately we don't really control our lives.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 3:56 AM

Ok then, explain God. What is God?

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 4:31 AM

R16 My point it is no more absurd to believe in God, than in simulation, even though "smart" people claim that it is. To me God is an entity, that created the universe, set nature in motion and then created mankind to have fellowship with Him. He can intervene in our affairs but rarely does, because we were created to have intellect and free will and therefore our lives are has good or as bad as we choose it to be. If we live our lives in a just and honorable way, then we get to spend eternity with Him.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 4:43 AM

I’m sure the advanced civilization is highly amused watching us multiply exponentially and proceeding to rapidly destroy the planet while being enthralled by a reality TV maniac and screeching “RACISM!” at each other.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 4:51 AM

[quote] I love the trees and the oceans and butterflies and my dog.

Yes, I programmed you that way. And your naked enthusiasm never disappoints us.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 5:08 AM

This makes sense. I've been thinking about the craziness of quantum entanglement, and how it could be explained as a simple trick of mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 5:10 AM

I don't believe we are an actual simulation, like we being avatars in a computer game. I believe we are feeding our higher selves with the data we discover in our lives by exploring this reality.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 5:56 AM

It's comforting to know that Simon Cowell's latest face is just a bored kid somewhere playing with the liquify filter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 6:13 AM

R7

Failing?

Those kids are already in the process of being expelled!

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 6:21 AM

R22 A face only a Mother can say, “what the fuck have you done to your face now? Do you have any idea what you look like? What am I supposed to tell the neighbours? He just started to grow into his face? Who’s going to believe that!?! I don’t even know who you are anymore! Mostly due to your face!”

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 6:36 AM

This is the bullshit that professional philosophers spend time thinking about now?

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 7:13 AM

R29, philosophers are science buffs with no data.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 8:06 AM

[quote] This is the bullshit that professional philosophers spend time thinking about now?

WTF? You do understand that in the early stages everything starts out as a theory, right?

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 9:33 AM

Do these scientists happen to work for the Umbrella Corporation??

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 10:27 AM

I think Sondheim new this decades ago. In "Anyone can Whistle" a character is asked: "Do you ever wonder if you are real?" He answers, "Oh no Sir. Never. I know I'm not real." Does he go to group A or B. I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 10:34 AM

Anyone who knowingly brings a child into the world is a simulation.

Antinatalists are the real deal!

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 10:47 AM

Well Susan Dey must be a simulation - that no-hearted bitch!

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 10:49 AM

R13 or was he?

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 10:52 AM

Professor Smoot it's a moot point, because he you're right, what can we do about it?

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 10:53 AM

I think it’s odd that this theory is being taken seriously by the same people who riducule the notion of f.i. aliens visiting earth.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 10:53 AM

I always thought there was a lot of 'fake' people.

I call them "the Cutouts".

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 10:58 AM

Absurd.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 10:58 AM

But what about Muriel?

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 11:00 AM

The writer is a big fan of the Waikowski bro.... err sisters.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 11:00 AM

How dow they define ’simulation’? This term i.m.o. suggests that you’re dealing with something that’s only an approximation of the real deal, the way objects in Java or C++ programs are. Maybe our ‘higher selves’ (a new age term) are running the simulation and when we die we become ‘whole’ again, or we go to a higher level of consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 11:03 AM

It'd be a relief in terms of explaining Trump.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 11:05 AM

R15 is rather strange and defensive, with an odd anti intellectual vibe.

I float around the nerd and science parts of the internet and can't think of anyone who says "the idea of God is stupid but the idea of an advanced civilization creating us is super smart."

What I've seen is usually "it's not God, per se, but something controlling a simulation."

R15's idea that all smart people believe dumb, hypocritical things sounds more like a religious person who feels they're a victim because of their beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 11:06 AM

[quote]odd that this theory is being taken seriously by the same people who riducule the notion of f.i. aliens visiting earth.

What?

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2019 11:08 AM

f.i. = fer ixample, silly

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2019 11:11 AM

The problem with this theory, is that it presupposes materialist science and emergence theory. It is assumed that every computer program can be modeled by a Turing Machine, but there’s no proof that a Turing Machine can exactly model human consciousness. Scientists don’t even know what that is.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2019 11:15 AM

[quote] What I can't understand is the "smart" people who think it is absurd to believe in God, and that He created us and our world, yet they feel it is perfectly sane to think that we and our world was created as a simulation by another advanced group.

It is not that different. There being a higher power which kickstarted our universe and / or our existence. We start wars about silly and trivial semantics over what to call this higher power. God, Allah, Alien race, etc. But in the end most of us believe that there is a greater power.

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2019 11:21 AM

Gosh, you guys are really making me miss the meth

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2019 1:06 PM

JizzLane is definitely a simulation

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2019 1:37 PM

Maybe we are in some kind of game / competition where the goal is to program intelligence that can escape hell.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2019 1:52 PM

[quote] I’ve always had this feeling, ever since I was a child, that this isn’t the real world and this isn’t my real life. And that most of the people around me aren’t real. Or something. It’s a very vague feeling.

Exactly the same here, right down to the vagueness. It's something I can't put my finger on, but it's there. I remember wondering about it as a child, long before I had heard of computer games like Sims. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2019 1:56 PM

R16 When anyone asks what God is I always say that he is one of us. Just a slob like us.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2019 2:17 PM

R50, I love that song.

“God” is beyond human comprehension...to define “God” is to set limitations. We simply don’t know, just like we will never know with certainty what caused the Big Bang or even if it definitely happened. 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2019 2:29 PM

Black Mirror’s San Junipero episode! I hope technology is advanced enough in 50 years when I’m nearing my expiration date (hopefully) that technology has advanced to the point that we can “upload” our consciousness to the cloud and live forever in a simulation of our choice.

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2019 2:47 PM

I must be a background character, then. Or maybe just an extra.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2019 3:26 PM

It's comforting to know that in a different version of this simulation that I might be faring much better. Perhaps in that other version Henry Cavill is an unfortunate looking cretin, while I can't leave my house without being mobbed by the adoring masses. To switch to that version, simply press Alt-Tab on your computer keyboard, then click your heels three times.

If only.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2019 4:26 PM

How do you explain ME?!

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2019 4:34 PM

How do you explain ME?!

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2019 4:34 PM

[Quote] I remember wondering about it as a child, long before I had heard of computer games like Sims.

Now if only I could get rich just by typing in the word [italic] rosebud [/italic].

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2019 5:04 PM

R57 as long your'e not turn pixellated whenever taking a dump

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2019 5:13 PM

Somehow I ALWAYS forget there actually are Gay Jesus Freaks Like R15 / R17.

Such self-hatred in them.

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2019 5:25 PM

R28 is posting from an underground lab in Raccoon City.

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2019 5:27 PM

R2 r49 I had a somewhat similar feeling too. With me i always felt like I was born in the wrong place or life . I would walk around or go outside and the colors and area where I lived looked bizarre, wrong, and ugly to me.

by Anonymousreply 61August 17, 2019 5:27 PM

That might explain my weird "fear" of time in a philosophical manner.

It's not ageing I fear. I don't feel time is "real". It scares me to think how tenuous it is. You could easily fall into or out of it and just be lost in some nothingness.

What keeps our consciousness in time? What is consciousness? How does it stay attached to physical form? Why can't we switch forms at will or jump around time at will?

See, I think we CAN do all of this stuff but what happens to our current physical form? Too many questions, no answers and time flows through me.

by Anonymousreply 62August 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Lisa Randall explains why this theory doesn't make any sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 17, 2019 6:56 PM

The high school and college pseudo-intellectual debate comes to life.

Of all the things to worry about, this gets our oxygen. I can't believe this intellectual cliche has any supporters or any research.

by Anonymousreply 64August 17, 2019 7:15 PM

We need to wake up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2019 8:46 PM

If true, can I speak with my programmers supervisor?

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2019 4:36 AM

Get futilely working...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2019 6:26 AM

Futilely working take II...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2019 6:28 AM

Is Heather Locklear a Special Guest Star in the Simulation?

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2019 9:26 AM

"I'd like to speak to the simulation manager, NOW"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2019 10:49 AM

"I'd like to speak to the Simulation Manager, NOW"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2019 10:50 AM

If this is a simulation, then why is my life mundane? No one would be entertained or fascinated by me sitting here posting nonsense on DL.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2019 9:20 PM

Turn that frown upside down, r72. [italic]Someone[/italic] has to fill seats in the simulation.

We can’t all be Brendad Icksons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2019 2:11 AM

[quote]If this is a simulation, then why is my life mundane?

Some people get off on "feet" ffs, so there's probably some extra-terrestrial out there who gets off on you unboxing pie or something else completely mundane.

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2019 3:04 AM

If this shit is true, why can’t the simulation rethink the mauve wallpaper as fast as I want it to?

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2019 3:25 AM

I created simulations in college that remind me of this business. We created them to learn how to code, which would be used for practical purposes once we got jobs. So that could be it. I think it’s nonsense, though. We’re not a simulation.

Even if it were true, all it would mean is a different understanding of what life is. It wouldn’t mean we weren’t living.

I’m reminded about how Alexander the Great was thought to be a God. But he wasn’t thought to be a God, in the sense of the Christian God, omnipresent and omnipotent. He was thought to be a God because he was a seemingly invincible warrior, and his word was law, and had power over life and death. It was a different kind of God, entirely, than we might think of today.

Likewise, a simulation wouldn’t mean we weren’t alive, it would just change how we define the word, alive. And not really change it by too much, I don’t think.

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2019 5:17 AM

I've been watching a lot of Rick and Morty recently. The animation series is a total mindfuck since it's all about the weird concepts of what life really could be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2019 6:52 AM

This would explain why my life is always taking these dramatic yet nonsensical turns.

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2019 2:30 AM

Think of it like this. Sim City. Not the sims or life but SIm City. Someone from a 10000-foot view is building and creating an existence based on what-ifs. A simulation. When you play sim city, you don't care about the tiny little people, you work at a 10000-foot view. You affect things that will change the landscape. Watch as your world progresses, see what happens when you apply disasters. If we are simulations the concept of time to us is nothing to them. My lifetime may be a blink of an eye to someone on a computer screen. It could be as grandiose as a program simulation of the universe and we are but one very very tiny part of that program. Someone running a simulation on the creation of the universe and we are in it, unknown to anyone. Once the simulation is over the data is reviewed and oh look in this solar system there was life. Someone asked what is God then? God is just a piece of the simulation. A concept born out of a program running to a conclusion. God is not running the sim, it is part of the sim.

by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2019 2:41 AM

The masters won't ever let you win that oscar G.

by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2019 2:57 AM

Them nerds on their Ivory Towers. Always trying to predict the future ie. scared of death.

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2019 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!