Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Schools Are Banning Yoga

In certain parts of the United States, it’s getting more and more likely that rather than a game of dodgeball in gym class or a round of Heads-up, Seven-up as a break between lessons, students will instead find themselves doing downward-facing dog. The internet is saturated with yoga-based lesson plans, teacher-training courses, and “mindful” music playlists designed for schools, while programs for certified yoga instructors who want to bring their practice onto campus have also gained popularity.

While up-to-date data on the prevalence of school-based yoga is hard to come by, a 2015 survey led by the New York University psychologist Bethany Butzer identified three dozen programs in the United States that reach 940 schools and more than 5,400 instructors. School-based yoga programs, Butzer and her co-authors concluded, are “acceptable and feasible to implement.” The researchers also predicted that such programs would grow in popularity.

The trend, however, seems to have been accompanied by an uptick in vocal pushback against the idea. In 2016, an elementary school in Cobb County, Georgia, became the subject of heated controversy after introducing a yoga program. Parents’ objections to the yoga classes—on the grounds that they promoted a non-Christian belief system—were vociferous enough to compel the district to significantly curtail the program, removing the “namaste” greeting and the coloring-book exercises involving mandalas. A few years before that, a group of parents sued a San Diego County school district on the grounds that its yoga program promoted Eastern religions and disadvantaged children who opted out. While a judge ruled in favor of the district, the controversy resurfaced two years ago amid concerns that the program was a poor use of public funds in already strapped schools. Meanwhile, just last month the Alabama Board of Education’s long-standing ban on yoga caused some ballyhoo after a document listing it as one of the activities prohibited in “gym class” was recirculated, grabbing the attention of a Hindu activist.

Neuroscience has a lot to learn from Buddhism.

Proponents tend to cite studies underscoring the benefits of mindfulness-based therapies such as yoga for kids’ development. A 2009 study published in the Journal of Child and Family Studies, for example, found that mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, which teaches children how to divorce themselves from harmful thoughts or emotions, was linked to reduced anxiety and increased attention levels. Other studies suggest that “mindful movement” such as yoga helps to enhance kids’ executive functions—skills such as working memory, attentional control, and cognitive flexibility. Some studies have gone as far as concluding that yoga has a positive effect on students’ academic performance or engagement, particularly among students who’ve struggled with traumatic experiences such as poverty and struggle with self-regulation as a result. After all, decades of research have shown that it’s hard for a child who hasn’t learned how to respond to stress to do well in school.

But some observers question the research on yoga’s benefits. Amy Wax, a University of Pennsylvania law professor who specializes in social-welfare policy, in a 2016 Atlantic story criticized some existing studies on yoga and mindfulness as being of “low quality and dubious rigor.” Julia Belluz, a senior health correspondent for Vox, has noted that despite a drastic increase in recent decades in the number of studies on yoga, the research tends to rely on small numbers of participants and imperfect comparisons, among other limitations. And some parents argue that yoga’s potential benefits aren’t enough to justify the spending at a time when public schools already struggle with The most vocal opponents tend to cite yoga’s Hindu and Buddhist roots, arguing that the line between those origins and secular practices is often blurry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2019 7:59 PM

So?

Is this an issue?

Parents can take responsibility for themselves. Schoolteachers have too much responsibility already.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote] While a judge ruled in favor of the district, the controversy resurfaced two years ago amid concerns that the program was a poor use of public funds in already strapped schools.

This seems like a dumb argument against yoga. It must cost next to nothing compared to other sports. That said, I don't care one way or another about this issue.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 11:34 PM

I would have loved yoga. Our choices were lame. I took fencing and badminton.

Yoga I can do all my life.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 1:25 AM

I wish we had yoga at my school instead of golf or Oztag.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 10:02 AM

[quote]Parents’ objections to the yoga classes—on the grounds that they promoted a non-Christian belief system

They should just teach Janine Turner's Christoga!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 10:09 AM

Let’s all get upset over like 36 yoga instructors

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 1:21 PM

Namaste, Bitches!

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 1:30 PM

I went to school in the 70s. We didn’t have our pick of gym activities: the gym teacher would make us play dodgeball and the big jock kids got to pick their teams. Since I was quiet and skinny, I got picked last. Lots of gays can relate to gym class horror. So yes, I would have surely liked to build up my body with yoga, which can be very rigorous.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 1:35 PM

White people doing yoga is cultural appropriation!

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 1:39 PM

Basically, wealthy areas will have yoga and mind balancing and, because of Jesus, poor hick areas won’t.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 1:42 PM

I do yoga almost every day, and I *do* believe that it would have some benefit for these kids. But it's hard to deny its spiritual origins, and I strongly believe that public schools should be as secular as possible. I'm afraid this could be a slippery slope, with fundie parents demanding "equal time." Might be better to nip it in the bud.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 2:38 PM

I took Yoga in the 10th grade

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 2:43 PM

If it has a spiritual component or contradicts religious beliefs, it’s inappropriate for public schools

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 2:47 PM

Elementary school teacher here.

Yoga can be a game changer for kids who need a reset - meaning too wild, too upset, or even too sad to focus on what they need to do.

It also allows kids to direct excess energy toward a positive point rather than toward trouble.

It’s largely non-competitive (save for striving to achieve or hold a difficult pose), meaning kids who have little coordination, balance, strength, or flexibility can perform where they are with the abilities they have without becoming the target of derision.

Yoga is not a miracle. It won’t work for all kids and it won’t work in every scenario.

But it has science behind it. The focus on breathing alone can bring a sobbing or seething child into a calm state. That does seem like a miracle sometimes.

Yes, it’s rooted in Eastern religion. No, I am neither Hindu nor Buddhist, and I stand firmly against promoting religion in public school.

But I also firmly stand behind yoga, meditation, and mindfulness as a component of children’s education because it works.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 2:53 PM

But R14, studies have shown that saying the rosary has a calming affect on people, too. Should we therefore allow kids to say the rosary in public schools? You can't have it both ways. It *is* religious.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 3:08 PM

Yoga itself tends to have some cult-like elements and I've encountered more than a few controlling characters who were instructors. OTOH, Amy Wax is professional rightwing troll and these lawsuits are rooted in the usual evangelical suspects who don't like the world finally passing them by.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 3:28 PM

I’m an elementary special ed (gay male) teacher, and I had a parent pull a child out of my class because I called our stretching routine “yoga”.

So now I just call it our “stretch break” and nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 3:34 PM

So, you can slap signs on schools saying "in god we trust" but you can run secular exercise programs because people think it's religious?

The world of ignorant people must be a terrifying place for them.

I wonder what the correlation between fundie nutbaggery and paranoid delusion is. Someone should study the degree people state they are deeply religious and both paranoia and persecution disorders.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 3:52 PM

Meditation is forbidden by many religions, unless it’s specially praying and chanting consistent with a particular doctrine or theology.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 4:00 PM

Is Halloween inherently religious, or spiritual? Do Schools ban it too?

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 4:02 PM

Excuse the typo - it should say " you CANNOT run secular exercise programs because people think it's religious?

[quote]Meditation is forbidden by many religions, unless it’s specially praying and chanting consistent with a particular doctrine or theology.

I can see that. You wouldn't want people spending too much time contemplating how absurd your doctrine or theology is.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 4:07 PM

Yoga without the mumbo-jumbo is not yoga.

It is merely American Stretching

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2019 12:13 AM

[quote]Is Halloween inherently religious, or spiritual? Do Schools ban it too?

Halloween is huge in the elementary schools.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2019 12:27 AM

Just rename it as ‘Mindful Stretching ‘ and ‘Mindful Breathing’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2019 12:53 AM

R23, that depends on where you are.

In my district, we are not allowed to celebrate Halloween or Valentine’s Day.

They are both considered culturally inappropriate and associated too closely with Whiteness.

I gave up caring long ago. Sadly, I gave up caring about more than the loss of fun days. The job in many ways is very stiff and almost corporate compared to when I started.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 1:22 AM

[Quote] In my district, we are not allowed to celebrate Halloween or Valentine’s Day. They are both considered culturally inappropriate and associated too closely with Whiteness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 6:50 AM

Self important fundie mummies clutching their pearls and reaching for a valium! Your nut case religion will do more harm to your children than yoga ever will.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 9:56 AM

I call bullshit on R25. If a school superintendent in this country banned Valentine’s Day, they’d first be on Fox and Friends every fucking day and then fired and then lynched.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 2:11 PM

R18, During a few very stressful times in my life I went with fundie friends to their Church and then to LDS social/educational functions although never to actual church services. Appreciated the "love bombing" but then started to get even more stressed by the fear mentality pushed. "Be of the world but not a part of the world" was a commonly heard phrase. Also consistent talk of "the end of the world" and the need to be saved. Couldn't handle the consistent negativity which united everyone else in group think.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2019 2:26 PM

Many churches and synagogues have long offered yoga that is "Christ-centered" or the equivalent for Jews. Stretching sessions are started and ended with special religious prayers. Religious music plays in the background.

Fundies I've met of all religious backgrounds are extremely reluctant to even attend a wedding or funeral for those of another faith so I'm not surprised they'd be antagonistic towards yoga. Brainwashing runs deep.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 2:35 PM

My friend turn vegetarian after starting yoga, and is thinking about becoming vegan. A former colleague told me to stop giving dairies to my mum (she is 78 and just broked her shoulder) because "milk is only for baby", she is a yoga instructor. I would worry more about that influence than the spiritual part.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 2:52 PM

R28, it did ruffle some feathers, but I assure you that in a large urban district, this is not a big surprise.

Some teachers compromised with the ersatz Friendship Day, coincidentally also on February 14, but with activities all done in class. No candy or cards.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2019 3:33 PM

For doubters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2019 3:43 PM

Yoga is inherently religious and like any other religion, should be banned from school. I've got Indian origins and it is pretty hard to see yoga as something innocuous when India's ruling party (right wing Hindu nationalists) has been pushing to make it mandatory in schools and universities as a way of forcing Hindu rituals on the whole population.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2019 3:48 PM

It should be replaced by mincing, prancing and juicing.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2019 4:05 PM

I can buy that a school district got rid of Valentine's Day, at least the exchange of valentines, since it's cruel to students who don't receive any. I find it hard to believe any school, even in the wokest of districts, would ban it because of "whiteness."

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 5:16 PM

What about St. Patrick's Day, r25? Doesn't get much whiter than that.

I work with a largely Latino population, with Filipino being our second largest ethnic group. None of them have ever complained about the whiteness of Valentine's Day. According to a few of the parents, Valentines Day in the Phillipines is a big holiday without as many romantic associations, and you give cards to all your family members and friends.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 7:44 PM

Public schools aren't day spas.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 7:46 PM

No, they're not, but little Jayden and Olivia aren't conditioned to sit for 6 hours straight and focus, for a myriad of reasons. Hatha yoga (just the physical asanas) can be practiced during PE, or for a few minutes upon returning from breaks, to help students transition into calmer sitting.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 7:55 PM

"sit for 6 hours straight"

I don't think so. The day is broken up with lunch and recess.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 7:59 PM

That still leaves blocks of a few hours each. I work on campuses every school day and it's amazing if the kids sit and attend for more than 20 minutes.

Keep in mind that students have to eat during their 15 minute nutrition breaks (noone uses "recess" in our district), so very little physical activity happens until lunch. Also, some schools/districts do not allow running anymore during breaks, so kids aren't really getting rid of much excess energy.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 8:04 PM

R18 in NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg stopped the practice of renting space in public schools on weekends for religious services. He said the kids would think it's a church. My nephew attends a public school in Brooklyn which was once Parochial. There's a cross at the top of the building. The city has no problem leasing space Monday-Friday, what's their problem with making money on the weekends?

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 8:10 PM

If kids in school need exercise, make 'em pick up litter outside.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 8:12 PM

I love this idea, r43! Knowing the parents, they'd consider it abuse, but Japanese students clean their schools every week and serve each other lunch.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 8:15 PM

The vast majority of yoga has absolutely no religious instruction or teaching associated with it - it is stretching and breathing exercises.

I doubt any of these classes has ever briefly mentioned Hindu or Buddhist teachings during sessions.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 8:17 PM

"Also, some schools/districts do not allow running anymore during breaks"

This is just so unhealthy, and not only from a physical standpoint. Children NEED to adjust to higher and higher risk levels as they age; that's literally how they become adults. The coddling these days is stunting their psychological growth as well as being lousy for their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 8:19 PM

I knew before I even read the story it was going to be about religion. How fucking ridiculous. With how stressed out people are these days, you would think they would want to keep this in schools.

That said, they still need to have kids running in PE. It’s good exercise for them in a time where kids are fatter than ever.

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 9:05 PM

[quote] It’s largely non-competitive (save for striving to achieve or hold a difficult pose), meaning kids who have little coordination, balance, strength, or flexibility can perform where they are with the abilities they have without becoming the target of derision.

So it's for the defective feebs, who cares about them? >:(

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2019 10:26 AM

So basically kids shouldn’t do yoga because of Jesus

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2019 10:39 AM

There is never mention of had during yoga. It’s about listening to your mind and body.

If you’re worried about the religious roots that also ban meditation because that’s from Hinduism too originally.

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2019 10:42 AM

God, I wish we'd had this when I was trying to survive elementary school in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2019 7:59 AM

This is so stupid, why not just 'rebrand' and call it 'mindful movement' or some other ridiculous meaningless thing.

Or

Consider the Buddhist origins of yoga and emphasize that since yoga is a science, and Buddhism a philosophy vs. a theology, as its considered by practitioners. Most religions are defined as having a centralized belief system based on a god or set of gods- that's not any part of the 8 fold path (which again, isn't being taught, the asana practice is being utilized not the theory. No one's trying to teach schoolchildren the Vedas, there shouldn't be a conflict teaching useful skills to schoolchildren. It sure as hell beats volleyball.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2019 7:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!