Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, your French Country Cottage Awaits!

It's certainly not in bad taste, exactly---but is this just overkill? I can't decide. I feel like somebody said, I want GARDENS! FORMAL GARDENS! Make it so! One of everything Pierre Deux, please. And make it snappy! Do people really live like this anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2019 12:06 PM

The gardens are the only really nice thing about the property, most of the house, especially the kitchen, is meh.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 9:28 PM

It's beautiful, but dear God the cost of keeping that garden up would be horrendous. I love the house even though parts of it (the kitchen especially) desperately need some alterations.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 9:38 PM

I like the bones of the house. The "window treatments" and wallpaper make everything look ugly, so just ignore. The kitchen needs to be renovated, especially the tile and grout on the counter surfaces. Price seems really reasonable $699K, but yes lots of grounds maintenance. Bathroom has already been renovated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 9:40 PM

I don’t care what anyone says. I WANT IT!

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 9:42 PM

Those kitchen cabinets could be made to look perfect for that house. In my opinion they need a pickled finish. But get rid of all that tile. I do like the huge cooking alcove. Actually I would make it a bit smaller. Seems they currently have 2 cook tops. They must really like to cook.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 9:43 PM

Hopelessly middle class!

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 9:48 PM

I love it. Not the decor, but after all, that isn't staying. But the house and grounds are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 9:49 PM

Who lives surrounded by painstakingly created gardens and yet NO windows in the kitchen, in CT, no less.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 9:54 PM

Surprised the house is over 3,200 sf! That’s not really a “cottage”

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 10:00 PM

The entire inside of this place is ridiculous but I love the landscaping!

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 10:18 PM

What's a 'pickled finish'?

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 10:29 PM

They had me until they went inside.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 10:31 PM

R11 this is a pickled finish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 10:32 PM

It's gorgeous OP, and the inside just needs a bit of painting and maybe new counters in the kitchen etc. I would take it in a second.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2019 10:34 PM

That’s nice, R13.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2019 10:34 PM

Bahahaha! No one can have it! It's ours now!

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2019 10:37 PM

The garden is wonderful. It’s also very high maintenance but if you like to garden then it’s doable. The interiors can easily be changed.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2019 10:37 PM

$508.00/mo property tax is outlandish.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2019 10:38 PM

Yes, a well done pickled finish can save the most heinous looking cabinetry.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2019 10:40 PM

The grounds are an unthinkable burden. It'd be impossible to keep up with. The house is cute, minus the Burger King tiles in the kitchen and the over use of wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2019 10:40 PM

Not Pierre Deux, that's toile de jouy.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2019 10:42 PM

It'd be fun to buy and then let the gardens get overgrown and mysterious while you sit in the cupola pining over your missing love.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2019 10:42 PM

From the obit of Pierre Moulin, one of the founders of Pierre Deux:

In the mid-1970's, Mr. Moulin found something else so old it was new: Toile de Jouy fabric, the fine-lined historical-document prints that had captured the imagination of the 18th-century French. With its depictions of American Indians, balloon flights and Lafayette's battles, the material was by then passe; most of the printing rollers had been turned into lamp stands. But Mr. Moulin unearthed some in the basements of French factories, and he and Mr. LeVec invested heavily into putting the patterns back into production. Decorators pounced on the toiles, using them for pillows, wall coverings and bed skirts.

Do you really think 500 bucks a month is a lot for 6 acres and a 3000 sf house R18? Doesn't seem like it to me.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2019 10:50 PM

$6k is not much for property tax, R18.

If there is a separate school tax in that locality, then it could add up.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2019 10:53 PM

I don't think the formal gardens go very well with the house, which is rustic in style (once you pare back the exuberantly overdecorated interior). Also, R17, I don't care how much you love to garden, there is no way those gardens could be maintained without a full-time gardener. That expense has to be taken into account when considering the quite reasonable price.

Gardens like that call for a mini-chateau or an imitation Stately Home of England.

All the elements are pretty (except the ugly kitchen), but I don't think they've been pulled together very well.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2019 10:54 PM

I would remove the hedging in the middle of the garden and let the rest of the garden go wild. I like a formal garden layout with informal planting.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2019 11:08 PM

Connecticut's in trouble economically. Plus the 5 to 7 percent state income tax, and the 6.35% sales tax, downgraded bond ratings and the decline in population and thus state tax revenue.

I'm fine with the house, taxes, the kitchen after a re-do, whatever, but the gardener's salaries are a deal-breaker.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2019 11:13 PM

Bienvenue chez moi! Je suis française, salopes!

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 1:49 AM

R18 where do you live, a flyover state? We live in NY and pay $23,000 a year in property taxes.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 2:50 AM

R29 not everywhere is New York.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 3:39 AM

It's a dressed up ranch house, but Roxbury is a very nice town. You could stop by the Sondheims for a cup of sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 3:47 AM

The wallpaper and curtains are too matchy-matchy. The kitchen needs updating. I don't like the marble bathroom: much too high maintenance. It's not that I don't like the landscaping, but as several people have mentioned, it's just too high maintenance. My over impression was favorable, though.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 4:40 AM

Only on DL will you get discussions about Pierre Deux and Toile De Jouy!

I love that about this place. Carry on...

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 4:50 AM

[quote] there is no way those gardens could be maintained without a full-time gardener.

Is this supposed to be a joke ?

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 6:18 AM

Garden and much of décor is a bit fussy. Seems pretty cheap for sq ft and location.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 6:30 AM

FYI. this is not in France. Why did you say it was, OP?

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 6:50 AM

Some common middle class frau thinks she's Martha Stewart

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 7:14 AM

Jesus, where I Iive you would get a 2 bedroom condo and the taxes would be higher.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 7:25 AM

Looks just like that horrible home in Connecticut I visited last year. Now, what did they name their home? Upson Downs? Ghastly! Colonial American decor, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 7:32 AM

"Why look," Lucy exclaims to Ethel, "it's Carolyn Applebees home!"

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 7:35 AM

Why would you ask that, R34? The grounds are 6.5 acres. That alone would require a lot time and effort to maintain.

Do you think all of this shrubery just naturally grows this way? When it grows, of course, which you seem to think is a very rare thing. But it is not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 1:54 PM

R36, were you often and repeatedly dropped on your head as a child?

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2019 4:18 PM

The house is beautiful under all that hideous wallpaper and grandmotherly window treatments! It'd be stunning, if redecorate by someone with a bit of taste!

As it is, I swear my late Granny faked her death and has been living there on her life insurance money. It's so fucking mid-century middle class it hurts, because the house was obviously designed for someone with a higher level of taste.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2019 11:35 PM

I stand corrected r23. Although I visited the Pierre Deux shop/museum (at the original location in Tarascon) two years ago and it was mostly the small prints like you see on chair cushions. They make shirts out of it too if you want to blend in with the furnishings.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2019 1:56 PM

I would look into subdividing the property and taking the grounds down to a more manageable size. The house itself has tremendous potential and wouldn't require massive renovations. The kitchen could be initially updated by painting the cabinets and replacing the countertops and flooring, as well as the appliances. That living room would be amazing with a lighter, fresher decor.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2019 2:10 PM

The broker for this property is not doing good work. The photos are terrible.

The wall paper and draperies are already way too busy. That requires simplifying the contents of those rooms for these photographs. Carry that shit to the next room, take the photos, then put it all back, if need be. Flat surfaces throughout the house are filled with clutter. Outdoor spaces are obstructed with lawn furniture. Multiple photos of statues cluttering the garden.

It's okay for real life, if you like that sort of thing. But when you're marketing a house, get all that idiosyncratic distraction out of the photos.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2019 2:20 PM

Is Roxbury a hellhole? Is the roof about to collapse? Why would this perfectly nice (albeit dated) house on SEVEN ACRES only cost $700K?

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2019 2:33 PM

Because it's in a distant corner of Connecticut, a state that's fast going down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2019 3:21 PM

Is it being sublimated into New Jersey?!

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2019 3:54 PM

It's no where near New Jersey.

It's actually on a corridor that's pretty popular for 2nd homes and vacation homes. That might help to keep the price down.

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2019 3:57 PM

I certainly wouldn't want to live in New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2019 4:11 PM

Are people unaware that not everything in Connecticut costs a million or more?

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2019 8:34 PM

Why would it? It's becoming part of New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2019 11:01 PM

The price seems very reasonable for the size of the home and the lot. I find the interior charming if a bit busy. R46 nailed it with the excessive clutter, books aren't decorative accessories when stacked on multiple surfaces. The kitchen needs new countertops, floors and backsplash. I could deal with the master bath but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd change out some of the toile for the Tom of Finland version I once saw in a friend's house, just to see if anybody noticed!

by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2019 11:36 PM

[quote] I'd change out some of the toile for the Tom of Finland version

I have this on pajama bottoms that I got in Ptown years ago.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2019 7:32 PM

Why are there almost no pictures of the exterior of this house? That’s the reason for the low piece. It must be butt ugly.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2019 11:22 AM

What others said - the gardens are too formal for the style of the house. And once you get past all the patterned fabric, the bones of the house are pretty great. I could see it as a weekend place.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2019 12:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!