Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Last Christmas” (2019) Trailer - Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding, Michelle Yeoh, Emma Thompson, Patti LuPone

It looks so freaking sweet! I love these Christmas love stories! But I’m a SAP in hiding. When it comes to my own love life I hate sappy shit and romance overall. But I love seeing it on film.

I can’t wait to see this wonderful Rom-Com. Lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2019 8:54 AM

Already a trailer. F&F.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 9:20 PM

Calm down R1.

That didn’t come up in my search.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 9:23 PM

Looks like a low rent Love Actually. I’ll probably still go see it though.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 9:25 PM

^^ With a dash of Amélie for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 9:28 PM

Does it have anything to do with the Wham! song?

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 9:32 PM

Op is a paid pr hired to post positive review for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 9:37 PM

I’m not going to see this so I don’t care if it’s a spoiler, but is this really a holiday horror film masquerading as a romcom? I get the vibe that the guy is dead and maybe a killer?

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2019 2:49 AM

I would rather watch paint dry

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2019 2:57 AM

Looks like a big budget Hallmark movie

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]I’m not going to see this so I don’t care if it’s a spoiler, but is this really a holiday horror film masquerading as a romcom? I get the vibe that the guy is dead and maybe a killer?

There is something there. I don't get horror, but I'm definitely getting some sort of ghost or supernatural vibe - she was sick and now just floating through life. He shows up and she starts "to live again."

I don't think there will be a happily ever after for them as a couple.

The real horror is that Michelle Yeoh can no longer be in a movie without Henry Golding although it doesn't seem as if he's her son...then again, it is more than odd that two unrelated Asians are cast in the same movie that isn't about Asians. Her dead son come back as a ghost to help the girl working for his mother?

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2019 3:02 AM

From Rolling Stone:

[quote]‘Last Christmas’ Review: When Holiday Movies Go Very, Very Wrong...Everything about this Xmas-themed, George Michael-soundtracked rom-com seems great on paper. Absolutely nothing works on screen

Ruh roh.

[quote]Which brings us to the genuine spoiler here: Last Christmas is bad. Incredibly, shockingly, monumentally bad. The kind of bad that falls somewhere between finding a lump of coal in your stocking and discovering one painfully lodged in your rectum. The kind of bad that you get when you bring together people of enormous talent and then are forced to watch them flail around, lost and flop-sweat desperate, attempting to make a romantic comedy that is mind-bogglingly short of both elements.

Sounds like a DLer wrote the review.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2019 3:50 AM

^^^ Sounds like potential ultimate Razzie material.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2019 3:54 AM

Looks like yet another flop for Emma Thompson. 2019 has seen ALL of her movies (Men in Black Int'l, Late Night, Missing Link) bomb. She is box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2019 3:55 AM

R11

Shit. Now I HAVE to see it.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2019 3:57 AM

I’m confused is this an Asian movie or not, and if so what makes it an Asian movie? Or is it just courting a Chinese audience to boost sales, and if so isn’t that just pandering?

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2019 4:13 AM

So the idea of Last Christmas isn’t the most recent one, but YOUR last Christmas because you’re going to die right? It’s a supernatural thriller with a dark twist and Wham music right?

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2019 4:21 AM

I saw an advance screening of it last night. I think the bad reviews, and I’ve read them all are terribly unfair. It’s a silly funny stupid sweet and endearing film with a lot of heart. It’s definitely a lightweight film and a piece of fluff. But what’s wrong with fluff? Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2019 4:35 AM

The Guardian weighs in and it ain't pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2019 4:35 AM

I assume this is a SPOILER. The lyrics to the song it is based on are "last christmas, I gave you my heart." Isn't it obvious from the trailer, then, that she had a heart transplant, and he is the one whose heart she got? The trailer gives way too much away.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2019 4:40 AM

Am I the only person on earth who actively dislikes George Michael's music? There is no denying he had talent, but I think his music was pablum. The thought of sitting through an entire movie with his music as the soundtrack does not appeal to me at all.

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2019 5:08 AM

Am I the only person who wants to bitch slap Emma Thompson? Great to see her have 4 flops in one year.

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2019 5:30 AM

You need only to watch the trailer to see that this film is shit. Emilia Clarke looks like an Olsen twin.

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2019 5:55 AM

Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2019 5:59 AM

Henry Golding was on Fallon tonight. Damn, he looked so handsome and sexy, and has a great personality. I love the guy and want to see the movie just for him.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2019 6:49 AM

I'll only watch it because Henry Golding is in it. R24 posted about Henry as I was writing my post.

As for Emma Thompson, she was in "Years and Years" this past year. She was brilliant and the program was very popular in the UK. Think you can view it on HBO in the states.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2019 6:54 AM

Arrogant Emma also wrote this. Dudnt she have a Devil Wears Prada rip-off movie this year as well?

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2019 7:46 AM

R26 Yeah, Late Night with that Mindy whatshername which Mindy whatshername wrote also wrote. I avoided it like the plague - looked terrible just like this does.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2019 8:09 AM

[Quote] Emilia Clarke looks like an Olsen twin.

She looks like the Crypt Keeper?

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2019 8:33 AM

I'm waiting for Henry's gay movie.

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2019 8:35 AM

Is Monsoon a gay movie ?

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2019 8:48 AM

Poor Emilia doesnt seem to have any luck with movies (even a Star Wars ffranchise) unless it is one of those films that makes a lot of money and no one likes. I'm sure back to TV for her !

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2019 8:51 AM

R30 Henry's character in Monsoon is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2019 9:13 AM

[quote]I’m confused is this an Asian movie or not, and if so what makes it an Asian movie? Or is it just courting a Chinese audience to boost sales, and if so isn’t that just pandering?

Really, you're confused or just trying to make a weak point?

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2019 2:46 PM

I love Henry Golding but this looks silly

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2019 3:24 PM

Thompson must be broke, she never says no nowadays, even to shite.

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2019 3:43 PM

Or maybe she just likes to work, R35?

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2019 4:39 PM

She wrote the screenplay, so it's not just a matter of not saying no to acting roles

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2019 4:43 PM

I wonder how she wrote an Oscar-winning script for Sense and Sensibility but has never wrote anything nearly as good since? Same as one-hit writing wonders Affleck/Damon. Kinda fishy?

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2019 4:50 PM

The movie features a previously unreleased song from George Michael:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote] She wrote the screenplay, so it's not just a matter of not saying no to acting roles

Thompson and her husband Greg Wise came up with the story and Thompson cowrote the script and gave herself more to do in the film than just be "the mother". Her character has her own journey. I commend her for creating her own roles.

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2019 4:55 PM

It’s was also, kinda strangely, co-written with the theatre artist Bryony Kimmings. I’m a huge fan of her stage work, which is usually so smart and clever and rigorous.

I’ve not seen the film, but from the trailer it looks so... dumb. And Kimmings’ work is never dumb.

I hope she got a generous paycheck, at least.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2019 10:57 PM

Saw the trailer. Golding is hot.

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2019 11:27 PM

[quote]I wonder how she wrote an Oscar-winning script for Sense and Sensibility but has never wrote anything nearly as good since? Same as one-hit writing wonders Affleck/Damon. Kinda fishy?

It's one thing to adapt a brilliant work of literature, quite another to come up with good original work yourself.

by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2019 3:02 AM

From the WaPo:

[quote] Is ‘Last Christmas’ a terrible rom-com or a terrible Christmas movie? Spoiler alert: It’s both.

So to recap: The Hollywood Rom-Com has been on its last legs for years, in the critical care unit. And Emma Thompson just pushed a big, fluffy pillow over its face and snuffed the remaining life out of it.

by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2019 5:08 PM

Sweet movie Emila Clarke is a movie star. Golding is dreamy. This year's "Crazy Rich Asians" and ""My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2019 5:48 PM

Late Night stunk, but that wasn't on Emma (looking at Mindy Kaling, "actor").

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2019 5:49 PM

Dracaris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2019 5:58 PM

Why did Emma not really get any great roles or bigger hits after that 4 year period of great acclaim? (1992-1995)?

I wouldn't say her career

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2019 1:11 PM

Why did Emma not really get any great roles or bigger hits after that 4 year period of great acclaim? (1992-1995)?

I wouldn't say her career

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2019 1:11 PM

Those reviews are a double wham-my.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2019 1:43 PM

R48 Probably because she is such a cunt and it didn't take Hollywood long to find that out for themselves.

Despite my disdain for her she has been great in a number of films (Remains of the Day, Sense and Sensibility, Primary Colours & Saving Mr. Banks).

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2019 7:06 AM

I don’t like how she talked bad about Aubrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2019 7:37 AM

R52 she has very grandiose ideas. Like Kathleen Turner when she announced she would correct all of Elizabeth Taylor's mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2019 7:42 AM

Emma Thompson is Box Office Poison!

by Anonymousreply 54November 17, 2019 8:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!