Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ruining Your Life

I got a DUI, parked in my car. I had five drinks over 4 hours, but they were strong and I pulled over on the way home. Stupid, could have hurt someone, and now I am facing a world of pain.

My partner is very supportive, and will help me through. But I just can’t stop thinking of killing myself. I’ve been pretty successful in life. No one would expect this of me.

by Anonymousreply 175October 23, 2019 3:55 AM

Why would you kill yourself over this? You probably are not will be allowed to drive for a year, but that will be forgotten once the year is over. in the meantime you can use Uber or Lyft.

Five drinks over four hours is not great, but I have done that before. Now you know not to drive if you drink so much, and will call Uber or Lyft next time.

This is not the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 8:00 PM

You were an imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 8:04 PM

Lots of people get DUIs, including doctors and lawyers.

You probably are drinking too much and should check yourself.

Yes, you could have hurt someone, could have killed someone on the road. Be glad you didn't hurt anyone, including yourself.

Take this as an opportunity to reevaluate your life and make changes.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 8:07 PM

An imbecile. Ya think? Cause I really haven’t got that message with the mug shots, the night in jail, and the $4,000 I have already dropped before even seeing a judge.

The police grabbed my battery rather than my phone, which was left in my impounded car. I didn’t have any phone numbers memorized, so no one knew where I was. Plus there was no clock near my cell - so I had no idea of the time. Knowing how much pain I was causing was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 8:08 PM

Lots of people make mistakes like you and get DUIs. Well, it will be a bit of a pain over the next year but if this is your first you can count on being in Uber, pay a big fine and then see your car insurance ski rocket when you start driving again. But you will bounce back from this. Do you think alcohol is a problem for you?

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 8:12 PM

Why did they confiscate your battery, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 8:12 PM

Memorize a couple emergency numbers. Phones die sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 8:14 PM

Memorize a couple emergency numbers. Phones die sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 8:14 PM

It's a huge pity party, and OP has invited himself.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 8:14 PM

They thought it was my phone. My phone was in the car. They really didn’t care that I couldn’t contact anyone.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 8:15 PM

If this is the worst thing that ever happened to you, well, I'm not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 8:15 PM

Have a few drinks and forget all about it OP!

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 8:16 PM

You are going way overboard with the suicide thoughts. The worst of it is over. Use this as your cautionary tale: you will NEVER do it again. In the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young "You will survive getting busted." Just jump through all the hoops and go to the classes and court dates and probation appointments and all will be back to normal before you know it. As far as people thinking badly of you, you would be SHOCKED to find out how many people have gone through this. (And you never even knew it.)

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 8:26 PM

Stop being such a big baby. You didn't hurt anyone nor did you intentionally set out to hurt anyone. Do everything necessary before you get to court: get the booze kazoo installed, do the counseling that the court will require, victim impact panels, whatever your state is going to require. Do all that before your first court date, and write a letter of apology to the court as well. Show that you take this very seriously and you might get a reduced sentence/charge. If you are really so shaken up by this, maybe you should make some changes in your life.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2019 8:27 PM

4 drinks in 5 hours? Are you small-statured? Because your body should have been able to process that much alcohol.

It's fucked up that we can get DUIs for sitting in a car without driving.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2019 8:30 PM

MARY!

Your life is not over because you got a DUI. Bush had two DUIs and he became President.

I know it sucks, but man up and deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2019 8:30 PM

Get over it, stop being a big drama queen. I'm sure you will do something worse down the road.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2019 8:33 PM

Heh my mistake, apparently Bush only had one and it was Cheney that got two DUIs.

Beto has a DUI too.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2019 8:34 PM

Your life is NOT ruined.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2019 8:36 PM

Doesn't everyone have a DUI story? It is hard and expensive but you can get through it. Don't be so serious. Think of all the black guys that get arrested for no reason at all.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2019 8:38 PM

Proceed directly to your nearest overpriced attorney who has experience in the criminal arena. Do nothing until you have procured said attorney. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2019 8:38 PM

LOTS of people have had DUIs that you probably aren’t even aware of.

It’s kind of like a woman having an abortion. Lots of people have had them but nobody really wants to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2019 8:39 PM

A good lawyer is worth the money. Find the money.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2019 8:40 PM

Why r u such a messy queen OP? Now you have ruined your life and your partner's life. Think about that over a drink, missy.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2019 8:40 PM

Cheney had two duis?

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2019 8:42 PM

You should have had the keys out of the ignition and in the back seat or the trunk. Better yet, you should have also been in the back seat. You can't get arrested in your car if there is no chance that you can drive it.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2019 8:42 PM

R24 is the Devil.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2019 8:43 PM

For DUI there really isn't a lot of legal wiggle room anymore, it's a crime they've really clamped down on. Even if you spend a lot on a lawyer you are almost certain to get convicted.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2019 8:43 PM

Yep r25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2019 8:44 PM

If you had been in an accident, it would have been 100 times worse, thank your lucky stars.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2019 8:47 PM

That sucks OP. Believe me, plenty of people know that they could have been in your shoes at some point or another or maybe indeed they have. There was a hit and run here a couple of months ago where a driver killed a woman at 5.30 in the eving and fled the scene. CCTV caught her image though so she turned herself in.

She lives a block away from me, a 58 year old seemingly normal woman. Now she's basically fucked. Be thankful that that wasn't your lesson OP, it could be a lot worse. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2019 8:49 PM

Be careful OP. After my partner's second DUI, I dumped him. He began driving drunk without a license after his second DUI, and I knew it was time to get the fuck out. I had to sell a house and untangle a bunch of other shit, but I did it and did it quick. Best thing I ever did. He eventually called after we broke up from jail for being arrested for his THIRD DUI. My number was the only number he remembered. How he ever got his license back is beyond me. And I enjoy cocktails here and there, but he took it to a whole other level.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2019 8:50 PM

Exqxtly r30. If OP injured someone, or god forbid killed someone, then your life would really be fucked r30.

This is a wake up call.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2019 8:52 PM

You should be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2019 8:56 PM

It is a big wake up call to you. Thank god you did not get into an accident or hurt/kill someone. No more drinking and driving for you. Use this court experience to LEARN the LESSON.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2019 9:20 PM

I got a DUI in my early 20s. It did feel like the end of the world. So stupid of me. But it could have been worse. I learned from that mistake and NEVER did it again. Consider this your *sort of* get out of jail free card, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2019 9:21 PM

Do everything you need to do to the letter, keep your nose clean, and see if you live in a state that allows expungement after a period of time. A DUI is fairly common these days. I agonized about revealing it for my job interview, but most of upper mgmt. had one and didn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2019 9:26 PM

If this is your first offense, you will probably get a period of probation, have to take some alcohol education classes, and will probably have your license suspended for a period of time. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

You may even be able to have it expunged later. If it gets expunged, there is no record of anything... you won’t ever have to report it anywhere because it won’t show up on a background check.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Get a good lawyer and move on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2019 10:16 PM

I’ve had seven DUI’s and now I live on a yacht!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2019 10:18 PM

Op, maybe the booze is affecting your mood...? It is a depressant...

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2019 10:25 PM

My sister is a big important lawyer and a drunk. She got a DUI in East Hampton and they treated her like FBI’s most wanted serial killer. She was ashamed, devastated, scared.

But she got over it. No longer drinks and drives. Drinks a lot less in general. She seems happier. Her DUI was two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2019 10:32 PM

PLENTY of judges have had them.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2019 10:41 PM

I got a DUI last moth OP..I had one drink at 4:00pm and got into my car after a dinner with only club soda at almost 10pm. I got stopped in the parking lot of my condo by a cop who said I seemed to be driving "wobbly" I blew way under our state .059..I blew a 053. The cop acknowledged I was under but it was up to him to decide what to do with me and he chose to arrest me as according to him I seemed to be impaired (I wasn't)

I was still arrested, taken to jail which was hell...nope, no one, no clock, no anything. You belong to them while you're in. Anyway, Its costing me $3500 for a hard lesson learned. I will never have a sip of wine and drive in my state again...zero tolerance.

You'll get past this. Im still waiting for my court appearance as the county has 30 days to provide their evidence against me. I'll LYK what happens

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2019 10:49 PM

OP..I forgot to add, do whatever your parole requires you to do..if you're suppose to call them before you leave the county, do it, call weekly, do it. No attitude, just be polite as everything you do now counts

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2019 10:51 PM

Sorry R43, but there’s no way you had one drink and then blew a .053 SIX hours later.

You’re in denial about how much you drank, or you have liver failure.

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2019 10:54 PM

People can define "one drink" as anything r45, even if they poured five shots of whiskey.

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2019 10:58 PM

It is a blip on your life , move on ...

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2019 11:05 PM

If it's your 1st offense and you didn't get in an accident or hurt anyone, don't waste money on a lawyer. Like others have said, you are gonna get probation and a suspended license, and maybe some other stuff like AA meetings or something. There's nothing a lawyer can really do that you can't do yourself (like talk to the DA about possible expungement if you keep your act clean for a certain period of time).

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2019 11:05 PM

You did not hurt anyone as well , use it as a learning tool.

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2019 11:07 PM

Is this a Northern European thing? Why are so many of you such drunks?

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2019 11:10 PM

Jeez, OP, it’s not like you killed anyone

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2019 11:31 PM

Exactly. You may have “ruined your life” if you killed someone while driving.

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2019 11:37 PM

I disagree with r48 about the lawyer. I initially thought it would be a waste but was persuaded by smart friends and family to bite the bullet and pay the retainer. In my case there was a technicality— the police made an error in processing which caused my case to be thrown out. I was extremely lucky— and I completed my alcohol education course even though there was no need for me to. The $1,500 retainer was one of the best buys I ever made.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2019 11:37 PM

[quote]There's nothing a lawyer can really do that you can't do yourself

Yeah. That’s bullshit. I had a jury trial and was acquitted of my DUI. The fact that my last name is Kennedy didn’t factor in at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2019 1:04 AM

As others have said, you didn't hurt anyone, except yourself (not physically). You have a partner who is supportive. It's a humiliating experience (I know), but consider a learning experience, and never repeat it.

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2019 2:28 AM

You made a mistake. Many do SOOOO much worse.

Do something constructive and channel the energy of those bad feelings into making a positive impact on the worldp. Volunteer in your community. Clean up trash in a park. Something.

And get some help for that alcohol problem.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2019 2:34 AM

Don’t feel ashamed. Driving drunk is a bad idea just about everyone you have ever met has likely made at least once. I’ve had 2 DUIs- both sucked. The only thing I regret at this point is getting caught.

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2019 2:46 AM

[Quote]The only thing I regret at this point is getting caught

Two DUIs and that's your take home message? You have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2019 2:50 AM

Five drinks in four hours is a problem. Not because you had too many units in one outing necessarily, but that you did not allow an hr per drink to metabolise properly. If you thought you would drive (awfully stupid idea, goes w/out saying) you sgould have had a nosh or a meal with the cocktailing. With Uber, taxis, etc. there really never is a viable excuse. Stop with the killing yourself crap... both the self beratement and the suicidal ideation. Acknowledge your mistakes and move on. Many have found themselves in deeper stinkier muck.

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2019 3:03 AM

Just see this DUI as a wake up call. Drink only at home, in a hotel or an over nighter at a friend's house.

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2019 3:10 AM

Or just call an uber/lyft, that's what people do these days r60. Its never been easier to go out drinking without having to drive.

by Anonymousreply 61August 17, 2019 3:11 AM

I agree with those post, such as R53, who have recommended getting a lawyer. You might very well be able to have the charge reduced, if not dropped.

by Anonymousreply 62August 17, 2019 3:14 AM

Bebe, don’t beat yourself up over this. I live in California and so many people have them here. Hell, how many does Kiefer Sutherland have at this point, like 7? It’s going to be a very expensive mistake but learn from it. You will not face any jail time but you will have to pay money for a lawyer and fines. Money can be replaced, but your life can’t.

by Anonymousreply 63August 17, 2019 3:15 AM

A Magistrate in my town was fired recently for Judging While Drunk. I'm sure she feels like her life is over. Everyone fucks up occasionally. This is one lesson you won't need to learn again. It's in the past already. Enjoy the rest of your life knowing you will never again worry about drinking and driving. Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 64August 17, 2019 3:19 AM

I was in one of those bad Lost Weekend relationships about 15 years ago. It started badly and never got better and I knew when it was time to quit him because we were both drinking, I was my place and he was his and we were arguing over the phone. So in my drunken ass state I decided I was going to drive to his apartment and argue in person. I got as far as putting the car in gear and a big fucking voice in my head told me that I'd destroy my life if I pulled out of that driveway. So I went back inside. I finally got how toxic this relationship was, especially if it cause me to do what I almost did. I dumped him not long afterward. It took another ten years or so to sober up though, but I've been sober for the last five years.

by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2019 3:22 AM

Maybe they're Native Canadian, R50.

by Anonymousreply 66August 17, 2019 3:35 AM

I thin it is a bit of a good sign that you are beating yourself up over a DUI and our feeling remorseful. This is a lesson. Do not Drive somewhere and then Drink.

This is a Wake Up Call. A Lesson.

by Anonymousreply 67August 17, 2019 3:36 AM

According to MADD, an average drunk driver has driven impaired 80 times before getting a dui. OP, please use this as an opportunity to clean up your act and never drive drunk again. If you have a drinking problem, consider getting help for that, too.

by Anonymousreply 68August 17, 2019 6:35 AM

Lets put this in perspective shall we? Other people have Cancer, AIDS, Strokes, Heart Attacks, and would give anything just to live another day. Some people have fought in wars, missing arms, legs, the ability to walk or even eat with their hand and still happy to live another day.

Op has a couple drinks, gets caught by the law and all he can think about is offing him self. DRAMA QUEEN!

Maybe you should do it OP, just to give the rest of the people who really want to live on this planet more room.

by Anonymousreply 69August 17, 2019 7:12 AM

R43 sounds like all the people who were in my court mandated alcohol education class. My group had about 25 people, and we all had to tell the story of how we got arrested. Everyone except for myself and one other guy had a bullshit story about how they only had one drink, the breathalyzer gave false readings, they had a bad reaction to prescription medication, the cops were setting them up, etc. It was a room full of innocent lambs. One lady was angry because she crashed her car into a tree in an Applebee's parking lot, right in front of a parked police officer, and it certainly wasn't any of his business because she was on private property. You'd think DUI class would be the place to be open and honest, but my class was a bunch of lying liars in complete denial.

by Anonymousreply 70August 17, 2019 9:54 AM

When I was arrested in the pre cell phone days, the cops had a list of bail bondsmen I could call. You didn't have that, OP at r4?

No one cares about DUIs much and I'd bet your employer, if they care at all, even has a counseling program for employees to go to first, before they'd even consider firing you.

by Anonymousreply 71August 17, 2019 10:37 AM

[quote]In the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young "You will survive getting busted."

It's "you will survive being bested," not "busted."

OP will survive, but you don't have to butcher the lyrics of one of the best songs of the 70s to prove it to him.

by Anonymousreply 72August 17, 2019 10:44 AM

Get a hold of yourself, gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2019 10:56 AM

Yes, it’s an awful experience. But, I’m a lawyer and you really would be shocked how many lawyers, judges and others have a first dui. It’s terrible. You never want to put yourself in this position again. But, it’s fixable. Three years from now, this will be a bad memory. Decide you’ve beaten yourself up enough, internalize the lesson, and move forward. More people than you can imagine have been through it.

by Anonymousreply 74August 17, 2019 10:57 AM

I’m R60 and I no longer drink and drive and the whole thing sucks. Addiction sucks. Poor judgement sucks. Just try and get healthy and keep yourself and others out of danger.

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2019 4:12 AM

Good work, r65. Congrats on your five years of sobriety. The unexpected benefits of just giving up alcohol are worth it.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2019 4:32 AM

Could be worse

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2019 4:45 AM

Drink-driving murders are in the news everyday, yet still some hideous morons still drink and drive. They should die alone, like falling off a cliff or something, instead of killing other people.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2019 4:53 AM

Buck up, OP! Have a drink (or five) and get on with your life!

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2019 5:19 AM

Get over yourself and quit worrying about what other people think. One thing I've found being an elder gay is that the people you're most worried about thinking badly about you have deep dark secrets of their own and their own demons that they are battling. I got in some financial difficulties a while back and thought that I was a bad person because I wasn't making enough money to pay my bills and then I looked at our president who has been bankrupt multiple times and is known for stiffing contractors and folks like Manafort and other who think the rules aren't for them. My minor issues seemed so much smaller and they have no problem holding their head high.

by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2019 5:29 AM

[quote] When I was arrested in the pre cell phone days, the cops had a list of bail bondsmen I could call. You didn't have that, OP at [R4]?

I'm not saying OP could not afford it, but some people simply can't afford to bail out, whether it's a bail bond or cash or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2019 5:55 AM

r15 yes I am. I'm 5'3 and 108 lbs.

Lesson learned. I will never have anything to drink and drive. There is obviously zero tolerance in my state no matter what the legal numbers are

by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2019 6:47 PM

DUI makes you want to kill youself? MARY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2019 6:53 PM

R73 *high-pitched wailing*

by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2019 7:02 PM

Go to AA meetings and your court appointed psychiatric classes if you have them and ask around about which lawyers are good. Everybody is going to think theres is the best, but you want people who can tell you good things that happened directly for them. Usually these lawyers are older and have friends in the courts. Sometimes younger protecting thugs but with connections.

Good luck

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2019 7:59 PM

OP / R82, Why did you not correct R15? In your intro you said five drinks in four hrs. Sometimes the extra drink is enough to make a difference, however considering your weight you should only have had one drink. Possibly two with something to eat.

by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2019 8:48 PM

OP is not 5’3, 105 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 87August 19, 2019 12:14 AM

I went down to the Florida Keys for winter vacation and ended up with a DUI. At first, I was traumatized and very ashamed. No one was hurt, and no accident. Luckily in the Keys they have a program called "Back on Track". DUI school, alcohol counseling (monthly), 3 months of breathalyzer in the car, 60 hours of community service, monthly email check ins. The cost of the program is $1000. I paid my lawyer $5000. The car lock is about $800. $250 for DUI school, $200 for driving ticket. $100/month for counseling x 12 months. After a year, the drunk driving is reduced to reckless driving. My license was suspended but Florida issued me a hardship license.

I have learned my lesson. No drinking and driving. I don't want to hurt people and the cost of a DUI is very high.

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2019 1:02 AM

R70 R88 here. I had a similar situation at my DUI school in Florida. Half the people there thought they were so smart about refusing to do the breathalyzer - they all ended up with suspended licenses and the same costs as myself (I blew). One woman who worked at a strip club blamed her coworkers for serving her alcohol at an after-work party. Denial was common.

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2019 1:11 AM

OP, hang in there, my friend. Your life is not over. You will get through this, and life will get better.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It would triple your pain, among those left behind. Please don’t make me send the Christmas Moose over to have a word with you.

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2019 1:18 AM

Just do not get into your car (drive) to drink somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 91August 19, 2019 4:59 AM

So you paid almost $10k for your DUI, r88? What happens if someone can't pay? Even $3500 or $4000 what others here paid, must be hard for a lot of people. Do you get jail time if you can't pay anything?

Another question after someone here mentioned that your insurance will skyrocket after a DUI. How did the insurance find out? Do you have to report a DUI? Do you also have to notify your employer?

by Anonymousreply 92August 19, 2019 7:24 AM

It’s not meant to be an income equality program, r92. There are all kinds of charges - to get your license back, to pay for required class, to pay for a breathalyzer in your car, the fines, the impound, the lawyer, etc. it’s also a challenge with the court dates, the classes you can’t miss (and don’t get to schedule), the forms you have to get signed, and only being able to drive to work or the doctor. If your job requires a clearance or background check, this will be on there for the rest of your life. You can be fired - and this is all on public record.

For insurance, in most state. you are required to file a form with your insurance that identifies you as high risk for three years and pay for higher liability. It can double the rates, or you can be denied entirely.

Certainly what I did was wrong, and there should be punishment but the process seems designed to break down the offender rather than to prevent another incident.

by Anonymousreply 93August 19, 2019 9:34 AM

Could have been worse OP. One of my friends got a DUI on his way to a leather club for the first time. All decked out out like you would imagine. He had to spend the night in jail like that.

by Anonymousreply 94August 19, 2019 9:37 AM

R92, when your auto insurance is up for renewal, the ins co will pull your motor vehicle report. Then they'll see the DUI conviction, and either raise rates or choose to non-renew. Many people with DUI have to get car insurance with their states assigned risk plan. Many companies won't insure DUIs.

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2019 11:07 AM

My car insurance doubled at renewal so I switched to Progressive, which was much lower than the new rate with my former company. The phone agent even remarked that they aren’t as hard on people with a DUI as other carriers. This was 20 years ago though.

by Anonymousreply 96August 19, 2019 12:13 PM

Yes, Progressive is a popular insurer for people with DUIs on their driving record. They also only look back to 3 years of driving history so it can come off faster, in other insurance companies it is often 5 years of driving history.

by Anonymousreply 97August 19, 2019 12:17 PM

Welcome to our justice system r92. Dealing with charges is expensive, and many poor people are sitting in jail because they couldn't afford all the fees they were slapped with. That's how the system works, it is easier for people with money to deal with and hard on poor people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 19, 2019 12:29 PM

[quote] The worst of it is over.

Hahahaha. Not. Even. Close.

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2019 12:35 PM

[quote] A DUI is fairly common these days

A DUI is most definitely NOT common. At all. Getting a DUI has major ramifications for those that don’t have a ton of money to deal with it, and that’s the majority of the population including the majority of this thread.

The absurd denialism in this thread is positively Trumpian. Getting a DUI is a huge fucking deal that can absolutely fuck you in life for several years. I’ve seen it happen.

Take this shit seriously. Do NOT fuck around.

by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2019 12:42 PM

I know it feels like the end of the world. It isn't.

You made a mistake, and a bad one. But you're human. Learn from it and let it influence your behavior moving forward.

This will be a pain in your ass for probably a year. After that, it will mainly be an unpleasant memory, nothing more.

It's concerning that you're having suicidal thoughts, so I hope you will see a professional about this, or call a hotline. You absolutely should not even consider suicide over this. It's a temporary problem that many people have gotten past.

Even if you don't think you're addicted to alcohol, you likely will be ordered to undergo treatment for alcoholism if you take a plea deal or if you go on trial and are convicted. It will look good for you if you do some sort of treatment program before you're ordered to. It will do you good if you really do have a problem, and certainly won't do you harm if you don't. You will learn a lot about the nature of addiction, and maybe some things about yourself. I'd recommend that you look into that. It doesn't have to be an inpatient program unless you've been drinking so heavily that withdrawal would be an issue. It could just be meetings you attend 3x a week.

Whatever you decide to do, know that as much as the next few months to a year will suck on many ways, you are also being given a chance to make some changes that could make your life much better than it's ever been. You have a lot to live for and look forward to, OP.

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2019 12:44 PM

[quote] Don’t feel ashamed.

You should ABSOLUTELY FEEL ASHAMED. It’s why the punishment is structured the way it is.

The delusion on this thread is truly mind blowing.

by Anonymousreply 102August 19, 2019 12:45 PM

When the OP starts off this thread with all the melodrama about how his life is over and he is considering suicide r100, then yes, a DUI is not THAT big of deal to be worth that extreme of a reaction.

by Anonymousreply 103August 19, 2019 12:46 PM

Have you gotten to a meeting yet? Asked someone to be your sponsor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 19, 2019 12:49 PM

[quote] For insurance, in most state. you are required to file a form with your insurance that identifies you as high risk for three years and pay for higher liability. It can double the rates, or you can be denied entirely.

In nearly 100% of cases your insurance will drop you, and it is very difficult and very expensive (not just double, a lot more) to get insurance even two years after your DUI.

by Anonymousreply 105August 19, 2019 12:49 PM

R88 here.

The Monroe County DUI program is progressive in the sense that after the DUI arrest, I didn't have to pay bail. I was released on pre-trial services which is free. Weekly phone check ins and random alcohol testing ($15 at the probation office). The charge for the Back on Track program can be paid monthly ($100/month). I will not be convicted of a DUI but will plead guilty to reckless driving. (probably a $500 fee?)

I have USAA car insurance (it is only available for active duty military, veterans and dependents). They don't automatically drop your insurance for a DUI.

NY is much more strict. There are no programs for first time offenders. You will be convicted of DUI and lose your license.

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2019 1:07 PM

^You also said you paid your lawyer $5000. I could pay a fine right now, but there were definitely times in my life when I couldn't pay that much. What happens to those people? They have to stay in prison indefinitely? Lose their jobs, houses, kids?

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2019 1:45 PM

OP, I got a DUI in my 20s. It wasn't a great time in my life in general.

But I can tell you: the DUI did not ruin my life. Instead, it prompted me to make serious changes. I stopped drinking (it's been almost nine years), lost weight, found a better job, started to work out, and made a whole lot of other little, positive changes.

I probably would never have stopped drinking had it not been for the DUI.

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2019 1:50 PM

r100, the only people I've seen have their lives ruined by a DUI were those who kept drinking, and then got multiple DUIs.

They were serious alcoholics, and a number of them are now dead.

by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2019 1:53 PM

Actually some big CEOs have had multiple DUIs and are still employed as CEOs . You can do anything and get away with it if you pretend to be republican.

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2019 1:55 PM

r86, I am NOT the op. I am the one that had one drink and then almost 5 hrs later they still picked up alcohol in my system and gave me a DUI.

I did NOT lose my license, have my car impounded or even have to post bond..the cop was being a pricl that night

by Anonymousreply 111August 19, 2019 2:58 PM

99.99999% of the world are not CEOs R110.

by Anonymousreply 112August 19, 2019 3:20 PM

Hang in there, OP! Big, sloppy, bourbon flavored Moose kisses coming at you!

Love,

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2019 12:17 AM

Thanks, Moose. There will be no bourbon or any other alcohol for a long time, if ever. I’m not on suicide watch, but this an unbelievable battle with guilt, remorse, and the vast real consequences. If the case were dismissed (not going to happen), I will never again let the Intoxicated me make decisions the sober me never would consider.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2019 1:00 PM

OP / R114 , Getting arrested on the road and spending a night in jail is not something a person should become inured to (used to). If the experience were commonplace, then you'd really have a problem. I'm glad it did shake you up (in a positive way).

by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2019 6:47 PM

OP, you'll get through it. I had my DUI over eight years ago and went into the same shame spiral. I was on a wine tasting vacation in Napa Valley, and I let a long day of tasting end in a night in jail.

I'm normally an unemotional midwestern guy, but I burst into tears in my lawyer's office. I'm an attorney myself and always thought I was "better" than doing something silly like getting a DUI (even though, in retrospect, I'm sure I drove above the legal limits any number of times.) Now I know better.

My partner was supportive like yours, as were the friends and coworkers I ended up telling. I had to be away from the office for my DUI "classes", so i had to tell some people in the office.

The most helpful decision I made was to forever draw a 'bright line' between drinking and driving. If i have even a sip of alcohol, I don't drive at all until the next day. Then I never misjudge if I've had 'too much". A glass of wine at lunch means I'm done driving for the day (and it makes wine at lunch an even more rare thing, which is fine.) I was shocked how many people at my "classes" refused to do the same, and continued to think they could easily judge when they had too much.

Now eight years later, my self image has recovered, and I don't get sick to my stomach even thinking of visiting the scene of my crime. You'll get there too.

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2019 7:25 PM

R116 , I always wondered about people "wine-tasting" and driving in Napa and Sonoma. Sounds like you made the best of a bad experience.

An attorney (criminal) friend told me that he thinks drinking + driving (the combination of the two) is a separate pathology compared to just drinking. Maybe there is something to my friend's theory.

by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2019 7:30 PM

R117, while I've continued to do wine tasting on occasion since my DUI, we now hire a driver. There are lots of companies now that use your own car (or your own rental car) and provide a knowledgeable , insured chaffeur to drive it for you . Best investment I've made, which could have saved me $10K if I'd done it sooner.

by Anonymousreply 118August 20, 2019 7:35 PM

I feel bad for the person who was arrested and not drunk. Talk about a vicious cop! I think that guy should be sued.

by Anonymousreply 119August 20, 2019 7:37 PM

And as an expected bonus, you may be denied entrance to Canada :)

"in 2016, Canada denied entry to 30,233 Americans, often because they had prior criminal offenses such as US DUIs."

Yes, it applies to ALL ports of entry, such as cruises--most Alaska cruises touch Canada at some point, for example . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2019 8:13 PM

R120, that's definitely true. My best friend got married in Canada two months after my DUI, and I had to miss being his best man due to being unable to visit Canada. Telling him I couldn't be there was one of the low points of the whole process.

And their 'ban' extends for a long time. My probation lasted five years, and I was definitely banned for that time. For a period of five years AFTER your probation, you can only get in by applying and being approved.

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2019 8:21 PM

Not just Canada.

by Anonymousreply 122August 20, 2019 8:42 PM

As if any one would want to go to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 123August 20, 2019 8:52 PM

This isn't worthy of suicide, bro. It's not that tragic. In L.A. everybody gets DUI's and it's not even embarrassing because it's so common. A DUI is inconvenient. Pay your fines, download uber and get over it.

by Anonymousreply 124August 20, 2019 9:01 PM

Where else besides Canada?

by Anonymousreply 125August 20, 2019 9:05 PM

So the US and Canada share criminal records or do you have to inform them?

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote]For a period of five years AFTER your probation, you can only get in by applying and being approved.

This isn't true. Canada COULD deny entry to you for having a DUI on your record, but there is no rule they have to. That is a crucial difference. At the end of the day it is up to whichever agent is approving your entry into Canada, seriously, it's just that human beings decision and what mood they are in. As a general guide though the further it is in the past, the least likely it is for the agent to make a stink about it. 5+ years and you are likely to be fine, yes an agent could, but it is unlikely they will.

[quote]Where else besides Canada?

Nowhere. R122 doesn't know what they are talking about, this is a uniquely Canadian issue.

[quote]So the US and Canada share criminal records or do you have to inform them?

Canada and the US have a unique arrangement of openly shared records between the two countries. Canadian officials have full access to any criminal records you have.

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2019 3:46 AM

I’ve had 2 DUIs expunged and have been ok going to Canada. I paid for a copy of my FBI criminal record and it shows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 128August 21, 2019 3:49 AM

If you have just one DUI you can apply in advance for entrance into Canada.

But really, Canada?

If I want to be around obnoxious French-speaking Canadians, I just head down to Fort Lauderdale, which is colonized by those types in winter.

Vancouver? Puget Sound is just as beautiful.

Polar bears and moose? Alaska has it all.

by Anonymousreply 129August 21, 2019 9:43 AM

Besides Canada, tragically you cannot enter Iran or the United Arab Emirates with a DUI. So a DUI will really curtail your ability to travel to the hottest destinations....

by Anonymousreply 130August 21, 2019 9:46 AM

"This isn't true. Canada COULD deny entry to you for having a DUI on your record, but there is no rule they have to. "

Sorry, instead of saying "you can only get in by applying and being approved", I should have said "applying and being approved are the only way you can be certain without going all the way to Canada and putting yourself in the hands of some moody border agent and risk being sent home". I"m not willing to fly to Calgary on the chance that I'll be sent packing if some agent had a rough morning.

by Anonymousreply 131August 21, 2019 2:54 PM

I haven't read the other responses, but OP please do not kill yourself over this. You made a mistake. No one got hurt. Don't make that mistake again.

You are not a computer, you are a human being. You did a dumb thing. We all do. Please please please promise you won't kill yourself. I bet a year from now you won't believe you had that reaction.

Be well.

by Anonymousreply 132August 21, 2019 3:01 PM

They're obviously costly, but be thankful that there are services like Uber and Lyft these days - because trying to call a taxi, particularly if you live in a suburban area, is damn near impossible. They won't come out that way to do a small run and if they do, they would charge you out the ass for it. Not to mention, they give you shit if you aren't paying in cash.

I got my 2nd one 10 years ago, while working for a well known insurance company, and was paying nearly $200 a week just to get to and from work via taxi. I had no family or friends in the area that I was living in at the time to help me out, and it sucked royally.

by Anonymousreply 133August 21, 2019 3:40 PM

This will be on your record forever and you won’t ever get a reputable job again.

by Anonymousreply 134August 21, 2019 4:12 PM

R134 I think Dubya and Beto have proved you wrong. Beto actually fled the scene of his DUI.

by Anonymousreply 135August 21, 2019 5:31 PM

[quote] This will be on your record forever and you won’t ever get a reputable job again.

Please ignore this absolute nonsense from the maiden aunt brigade.

by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Poor r134 would be shocked at how many professionals in good jobs have a DUI on their record.

by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2019 5:33 PM

If companies shunned everyone with a DUI we'd have no one in white collar jobs.

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2019 5:35 PM

Seriously, OP, a DUI ruined your life? Nothing you did had lasting negative effects on anyone. Hell, my grandmother was over 70 when she wrecked her car after an afternoon drinking at the local VFW Hall. She lost her license for six months and had to spend three days at a Drivers Intervention Program. She lived through it and so will you. Think of it this way, you have learned a VALUABLE lesson without any else being involved. That is a BLESSING!

by Anonymousreply 139August 21, 2019 5:48 PM

R135 - Dubya And Beto are rich, entitled men. The OP is not and therefore his life is over.

by Anonymousreply 140August 21, 2019 6:27 PM

r45 , Im r 43 and it is absolutely true. I blew a 053 after 5 hrs. Im 5'3 and 110 lbs. I was neither drunk nor impaired at the time. I'm NOT in denial about anything. The limit here is .058, over that you're consider over the limit.

The cop said "You seemed to have been driving wobbly". it was the end of the month and I drive a screaming red new Camaro (like a baby BTW)...My car stands out lu=ike a sore thumb

I have always been a one drink wonder. A tall stolies (NOT a double) with club soda. I have made it my business never to drive impaired. I have sat at a bar for hours sipping club soda and coffee just to make sure I wasn't impaired when it was time for me to drive.

lesson is I will never have a sip of wine then get in my car...obviously you can get arrested for still being way under the legal limit. You can believe me or not...Im anonymous and have no reason to bullshit to anyone here

by Anonymousreply 141August 21, 2019 8:39 PM

R141, it simply isn’t possible to have a BAC of .053 after one drink, four hours ago, unless you have no liver. In which case you’d be dead by now. It’s doubtful that your BAC could even have been that high after ONE hour.

What is possible is that the device malfunctioned (unlikely), a bartender accidentally or intentionally put alcohol in beverages you though were non-alcoholic, a companion or bystander spiked your drink, the police officer lied, or you took some medication that had alcohol (although you would have to take a ridiculous amount or have a small amount till on your mouth).

But it’s not possible to blow above a 0.05 four hours after one standard drink. Not without a medical issue.

How you could it be aware of this after being arrested for it boggles me. You didn’t google BAC calculator?

by Anonymousreply 142August 21, 2019 9:55 PM

The Canada info is critical to know in case you ever have to travel there on business. Not something you want to explain or leave to chance. Could be tough if you are given short notice.

by Anonymousreply 143August 21, 2019 9:57 PM

r141 I take topamax daily for migraines and methotrexate for RA weekly

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2019 12:21 AM

If you were under the legal limit but the cop still arrested you, can't you just fight this in court? Also why didn't you get a blood test?

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2019 7:14 AM

r145 I had no fear in blowing...I wasn't drunk or impaired. My lawyer told me this particular cop arrests anyone with any alcohol in them, legal limit or over. his conviction rate is extremely low Of course we are fighting it in court. I just read the cops report and he is a lying sack of shit.

by Anonymousreply 146August 22, 2019 2:17 PM

R146 You should also get a blood test. They're more reliable and the laboratory values are often different. How can they convict you if your numbers are under the legal limit? Did they/he also claim you were aggressive and argumentative or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 147August 22, 2019 2:38 PM

You probably resisted arrest, which cops HATE

by Anonymousreply 148August 22, 2019 3:05 PM

You shouldn’t have “sipped wine” (let’s be real, that’s a fucking lie) if you were driving.

No alcohol in any amount when driving.

Period.

by Anonymousreply 149August 22, 2019 3:27 PM

Wait, you’re paying a DUI lawyer and they don’t realize it’s impossible to have a BAC of 0.053 four hours after one drink? Either your lawyer is the worst DUI lawyer in the world, or they don’t believe you (and figures it doesn’t matter anyway). Otherwise the lawyer would be asking you a lot more questions.

I’m starting to believe you’re sincere, but the whole story is strange.

by Anonymousreply 150August 22, 2019 6:23 PM

r150 Again, I have no reason to lie, embellish or try to hide any facts. Im small, take a couple of meds, one for an autoimmune disease that may or may not have had a reason to keep the level at 053, which is WAY below the legal limit here. Why is it impossible? The cop noted that even though I was way under the limit it was still up to him to make the call to arrest me and he did....end of the month quota

NO R148, I did NOT resist anything..I was polite, followed directions given by the cops and spoke only when spoken to.

r149... I had one stolies with club soda...I said I will never sip wine, meaning I will never touch alcohol of any kind, no matter how little the amount is before I drive..ever.

by Anonymousreply 151August 22, 2019 6:37 PM

You may not be lying, but your BAC was not 0.053 after four hours and one drink. I don’t understand why you are having such difficulty understanding this, it’s all the more bizarre given that you are facing legal consequences.

by Anonymousreply 152August 22, 2019 6:48 PM

r157..Im looking at the police report right now .053...there was no reason at all to arrest me. I was under the limit, not impaired..it shouldn't have mattered if I had the drink 15 minutes before he stopped me

by Anonymousreply 153August 22, 2019 10:05 PM

R153 in many states the DUI statute gives the cop/prosecutor a choice—you can get a DUI if either (1) your blood-alcohol content is at or above a certain number, OR (2) if you appear to be unable to properly drive due to being under the influence.

So the number you blow isn’t the only factor.

by Anonymousreply 154August 24, 2019 9:29 AM

You can't drive—so what? At least you have a supportive partner who is going to help you. People claw their ways out of much worse every day, OP. You can deal with this.

by Anonymousreply 155August 24, 2019 9:45 AM

I just watched the arrest video with a couple of non-biased people. According to them as we watched it for the first time, they said there was absolutely NO reason for me to have been arrested. Again, Im anonymous here, there is no reason for me to lie. They had no video of my supposed "erratic" driving, the reason the cop pulled me over

by Anonymousreply 156August 24, 2019 10:37 PM

What did the cop ticket you for if you were already pulled over? Or had they been following you while you were driving?

by Anonymousreply 157August 24, 2019 10:41 PM

r157 the cop followed me about two miles and according to his write up, I was swaying out of my lane, braking and driving erratically, yet, there is no video of it. Why would he let me drive in that state for 2 miles, why not pull me over right away?

The video they do have starts when the DUI "specialist " starts to question me. In the 22 minute video they are doing a follow the finger test for 3 minutes...they also have my eye color wrong...he was looking at my eyes and according to him they were blood shot and I also smelled of alcohol. he is so full of shit

According to a retired cop friend he suggests I sue the cop and the city when this is over...he saw the dvd I was sent and he said no way was I the slightest bit impaired

by Anonymousreply 158August 27, 2019 11:21 PM

Don't drink and drive, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 159August 27, 2019 11:27 PM

R158 He probably followed you a bit to make sure you didn't just changed the radio station or checked your phone. When he was sure something was off with your driving, he stopped you. I think you're in major denial here. You did drink that night and your blood alcohol was close to the legal limit. I know you don't want to hear this, but you drove while being under the influence and cops do not randomly stop and arrest people. Maybe it is time to visit some meetings or get counselling and find out why you drank alcohol and drove home while you were still impaired at all. You could have killed someone.

Also, it is very hard to tell someone's eye color in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 160August 28, 2019 1:34 AM

Agreed R160, and so much rage in the constant denial.

by Anonymousreply 161August 28, 2019 3:33 AM

[quote]Besides Canada, tragically you cannot enter Iran or the United Arab Emirates with a DUI. So a DUI will really curtail your ability to travel to the hottest destinations

Hottest destinations? I hope you mean heat and not hot. Bitch Please! It's still a crime to be gay there, "sodomy with a male shall be punished by death."

by Anonymousreply 162August 28, 2019 8:32 AM

^ I think he is being sarcastic R162. Obviously Iran and the United Arab Emirates are NOT hot destination. OP got a DUI can't go to Canada AND Iran and the UAE now - 3 of the hottest destinations on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 163August 28, 2019 10:04 AM

Good for you op. You’re being treated unfairly, but the law is unfair. You did the right thing! You realized that you shouldn’t be driving so you pulled off to the side of the road like you’re supposed to. Where were your car keys? I know a guy who did as you and he got a DUI because the police said his keys were still in the ignition even though the engine wasn’t running. They said he should have placed the keys on the dashboard. Of course now, a lot of cars have no keys. Keyless ignition. But I digress, forgive yourself. They should have given you a medal for pulling off the road. I wish the drunk who hit me had done as you. 😘😁

by Anonymousreply 164August 28, 2019 10:28 AM

If you are pulled over, and you have been drinking over the limit, do not ever approve of a sobriety test, or a breathalyzer, pay the fee to be released and call a lawyer, know your rights!

by Anonymousreply 165October 7, 2019 12:04 AM

Refusal to test is an automatic one year suspension of your license and an immediate fine. It can also be used against you in court, and I guarantee the judge will side with the cop and there will be much more serious consequences on top of the suspension.

How about this, don’t fucking drink and drive R165, you dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 166October 7, 2019 2:48 PM

I actually believe the poster about that cop. My mother went through a similar situation, and DOESN'T DRINK, yet was arrested for drinking and driving. How you ask? A woman hit her car then called the police. The asshole cop didn't have a breathalyzer, so he arrests you BEFORE knowing your BAC. She got to the jail and when the test showed NOTHING he had her jailed anyway!

How you ask? Her "behavior" was supposedly impaired, so he demands a blood test for medication. My mother is on meds, so she refused.

Before you naysayers argue it was meds, nope! He wrote the supporting document to "prove" she was drunk, which has different symptoms than meds would be. She was also recorded and no one could believe he arrested her.

She ended up getting the best lawyer around, finding out that this cop arrests older disabled people all the time, accusing them of drinking, but takes the chance that at least medication will be found if they're over 50.

My mother had never been arrested in her life. Her license never had a single point on it. The whole thing was a joke. They ended up dropping it, after a year of delays and her not being able to drive while waiting. Meanwhile dealing with harrassment gettin the lady who hit her, through crazy personal letters, threatening her.

I'd bet every penny that the bitch who hit her was fucked up, and wanted to get ahead of the narrative.

Everyone here who thinks shit like this "doesn't just happen" is really fucking niave. I've had scumbag cops ride my bumper with their brights on to get me to speed. There's some real pieces of shit working as cops.

by Anonymousreply 167October 7, 2019 3:32 PM

OP, if you're convicted and you're required to attend drug/alcohol treatment classes, do both of these things. 1) sign the sheet in BLACK in, not anything else. It won't show up and you're not counted as attending that meeting. 2) Camp on the trail of the treatment center sending the meeting information to the court. Mine lagged and I ripped the top bitch a new one several times; they don't care about you, only their fucking money. And make sure you attend all those classes. Regardless of what anybody tells you, missing them means your ass is toast. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 168October 7, 2019 8:52 PM

I am the poster who got arrested for blowing way under the limit .053. I said I wasn't the slightest bit impaired and did my beatherlizer more than 4 hrs after my last drink...The charges were dropped

by Anonymousreply 169October 7, 2019 9:19 PM

OP here, with update on the outcome.

I had a chance of winning. The officer said my key was in the ignition, but my car is a keyless ignition. The law in my state is very iffy, so it depended on how he responded to my lawyer’s questioning. It was a long shot, but not impossible.

The trial took a left turn because the officer didn’t show up. They offered a plea to reckless driving, which was on the table before the officer responded that he would come to court. I took the deal - six months restricted license, alcohol safety class, and a fine. I avoided a declaration to insurance, another six months of restriction, the DUI stigma, and a breathalyzer in my car for six months.

Through no virtue of me or my attorney, it seems right. I learned my lesson, stopped drinking, and will never drive with any alcohol in my system. I paid much money, but my job and clearance should be fine.

And right now? I’m breathing again. Thanks to everyone who was supportive as well as to the bitches who gave me a virtual snack. In this period, I have had 3 friends in my age range die unexpectedly. Life is not to be wasted, and I have learned that lesson in spades.

by Anonymousreply 170October 18, 2019 4:14 PM

[quote]I avoided a declaration to insurance

Does that mean your insurance rates won't go up? There was a report on my local news last night that a DUI raises an individual's auto insurance rate by an average of 97%.

by Anonymousreply 171October 18, 2019 4:25 PM

My state (and many others) requires you to file an FR-44, which essentially tells the insurance company you had a DUI. It also requires an increase in liability coverage for three years.

With the reckless, my insurance may increase, but likely not to the level from a DUI. I may also be able to mitigate the points with a drivers class.

by Anonymousreply 172October 18, 2019 4:27 PM

Thanks for reporting back, OP. I'm happy for you.

by Anonymousreply 173October 19, 2019 12:45 AM

Glad things worked out OP and you're doing well.

by Anonymousreply 174October 19, 2019 5:42 PM

Even if you are not driving and parked it still is a violation, get a good lawyer and if you have no previous record, you will probably lose your license for 90 days, suck it up and move on.

by Anonymousreply 175October 23, 2019 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!