Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just got laid off

I worked in marketing for a design firm that has recently been slowing down in terms of work. I just was let go on Wednesday with a decent severance because they want to get someone in with more development experience. Staff is shocked and upset that I was let go - never a bad personnel report, never did less than a stellar job. Truth be told, I was looking to make a move and maybe they found out? In any case, they beat me to the punch.

Now i'm in that terrible position of looking for a new job without being currently employed. My partner is being very supportive and the severance is basically two months worth of salary. Really trying not to be depressed and as a long-time DLer i'm hoping you bitches can offer some support.

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2019 11:07 PM

GOOD luck! it could be worse, you can be like me, who hasn't worked outside of the home in 2 years and can't work outside the home because he has to take care of his widowed mother and the family dog and thus has to try to find work form home doing something that pays decent but 99.9% of work from home jobs are 1) scams 2) pay 10 to 12 dollars a hour 3) can only work from home after you have worked for the company for 10 plus years or more or 4) are i.t. and other technological jobs that i'm not qualified for or have any experience in!...

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 7:04 PM

You got laid at work, your partner has been chill, and you want our support? Forget it.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 7:05 PM

Did you file your unemployment claim? Is not do so. To tell you the truth we have so little time away from work I would use this as an excuse to take a break. Can you afford it?

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 7:05 PM

Way to make it about you, R1

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 7:05 PM

Potassium cyanide. End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 7:07 PM

OP, I got laid off back in June after being with a company for years because the company is tanking. I also got a decent severance and I hated the place anyway the last few years because all the good people were gone and they were replacing them with idiots, so I was relieved. I was so worn out from all the bullshit I dealt with the last few years there that I’m enjoying the time off as I look for a new job.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Unsupportive partner? What an ass.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 7:15 PM

OP, this will be ok. Don’t worry about being unemployed while interviewing. Layoffs happen and it’s all about confidence. Be totally unapologetic and matter of fact about it and have a little swagger. Mention you were ready for a change and were grateful this happened so you could be freed up to plot your next move full time. Again, it’s all about your own mojo and demeanor around this. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 7:19 PM

How old are you, OP? I’ve been laid off since February, two weeks of unemployment left. I’ve been applying like crazy but suspect I’m getting age-discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 7:24 PM

I recommend volunteering someplace 2-3 days a week. Gets you out and focused and could lead to your next position. Best wishes. Stay positive.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 7:26 PM

OP is the canary in the coal shaft of the Trump Depression.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 7:29 PM

I'm 41. Interview for a lateral move on Monday, partially based on the recommendation of a former coworker who couldn't believe I was laid off. If nothing else it will energize me for a week or so.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 7:51 PM

OP file for unemployment immediately if you haven't already done so. It takes a while for it to kick in and you can't file retroactively. Set up meetings with recruiters and start contacting your network. Set a "work schedule" for yourself, committing yourself to dedicate a certain number of hours each day to the search, whether that be applying for positions and tailoring your resume, meetings, skills development. This is your job now, and having a schedule should keep you focused and productive.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 7:53 PM

Thanks, R13, that's the plan. I have been in touch with a recruiter but need to let them know I'm now open to a wider range of opportunities.

Now I'm going to celebrate booking the first interview by going to the movies with my partner.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2019 7:59 PM

R11, totally

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2019 9:09 PM

R11, please stop making everything about Trump. Assholes like you are giving him way more power than he actually has. Lay offs happen in the best of times. One person says he got laid of and you become a fucking idiot Trump Chicken Little. TRUMP DID IT! IT'S ALL TRUMP"S FAULT!!!

You've let him rewire your brain.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2019 9:22 PM

During the 1990s and into the early 2000s I was laid off several times. In each case I found a better job than what I had before. I know it doesn't always turn out that way but thought I should mention it. If you're good at what you do then you have plenty of accomplishments to put into your Linkedin profile and resume.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2019 9:22 PM

Two months is not “decent severance”

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2019 9:25 PM

I was laid off from my marketing job at age 48 in Feb 2017 with no severance, i filed unemployment updated my resume and put the word out to friends/linked in connections immediately.

Started a new job in April 2017 and have been there since. It paid more and has much better benefits. Take the dates off your college listings on your resume so your age is not super obvs. Don't fret but don't sit around either.

Good luck

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2019 9:27 PM

A new item for OP's grocery list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2019 9:42 PM

OP, you now have a new project: finding a new job. Don't look back. Start on this new project immediately. Take care of yourself. Go to the gym. See it all as a new adventure. See it as a door that has opened.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2019 9:51 PM

Some good advice given above. Another idea: While looking, register with a temp agency. You would be surprised how often a temp job can lead to full-time employment. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2019 9:54 PM

I am sorry this happened. OP. And 2 months doesn't sound like a big severance but maybe that's good in USA? I am glad you have a partner for emotional and financial stability.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2019 10:02 PM

R23, in the US he was lucky to get anything. If you are not in a union, most Americans are not, you are hired "at will" which means you can be fired at any time. Two weeks severance is nothing. OP apply for unemployment immediately. Like taxes, your former employer must pay a substantial part of your unemployment payments once you'vr become unemployed. It is not uncommon for them to fight it, claiming that you were fired. Did they give you any unemployment or COBRA forms?

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2019 10:47 PM

The one time I got "permanently laid off" which was their nice way of wording getting fired, lead to me getting the best job of my life that lasted 25 years until I retired. Sometimes something that seems bad at the moment, is really a blessing. I got paid for the rest of the day and was on my own, no partner, consider yourself lucky OP. The company that laid me off only lasted about 6 more months before they closed the doors.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2019 10:58 PM

I don’t want to make op feel bad but I don’t want misinformation spread either. Most us companies give severance packages to white collar workers who have been with the company for some time. In my experience 6 months+ Is standard unless you are manual labor or very junior.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2019 11:12 PM

[quote] Mention you were ready for a change and were grateful this happened so you could be freed up to plot your next move full time.

In a job interview, I would not say, "I was ready for a change and grateful this happened." It might lead someone to think you were a problem employee and, therefore, first to be "laid off." I would not say anything even slightly negative about my former employer.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 12:28 AM

R27- good point. I don’t think I meant to voice sour grapes, more looking at the lay off from a “glass half full” approach but your point is fair.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 12:31 AM

[quote] I don’t want to make op feel bad but I don’t want misinformation spread either. Most us companies give severance packages to white collar workers who have been with the company for some time. In my experience 6 months+ Is standard unless you are manual labor or very junior.

OP mentioned that work for his former employer was slowing down. If the company is not doing well 2 months is pretty good. I was laid off from an executive position of a company that was going under and I was grateful to get 2 months. When the company finally shuttered a year later the remaining employees got no severance.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 12:38 AM

Keep an open mind. I've been laid off, moped and had some drinks for a couple-few days, started looking around with a thought to check out anything that was half-way viable. Not being employed was a motivator to think of the situation as an opportunity to do something that had never crossed my mind. And it worked out pretty well, has led to some amazing times with the work and locations.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 12:41 AM

An economic slowdown is coming. Red lights are starting to flash in many parts of the economy. As a result, you need to find a new job quickly. Set a goal of finding one before your severance runs out. Take a few days off to decompress, but then get in job search mode for 6 hours per day every day. In early 2020, businesses will begin shedding huge numbers of workers. Get ahead of the curve.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 12:42 AM

I agree with r31. The next 10 years are going to be sketchy. If Trump wins, we will lose our place in the world's standing, which will have economic repercussions. If Trump's loses, Democratic leadership will have to get us out of these Tax Cuts, and start the process to get income disparity under control, as well as other deregulations that have occurred that only favor rich, and rich polluters. As usual, like Obama, Democrats will have to take over the crap, and get it working in the right direction, yet again. Major work changes still coming that will have HUGH financial downturns, such as 180,00 truck drivers out of jobs and the industries that surround truck drivers as self driving trucks take over. Google UPS already using driverless trucks. Our politicians have NO plan in place to address these wide spread job losses. Where did all those manufacturing high paying jobs come from under this current administration? Uh, none of any significance. In fact we lost higher paying jobs. AT&T promised the tax cuts would create jobs; nope laid off 20,000 and stock buybacks made the CEO and stock holders wealthier. With ALL major players following the exact same playbook. Greater than 40% live paycheck to paycheck. This number will grow to 60% or greater in 10 years if something is doesn't get done to strengthen the middle-class, the money spenders. Lack of Universal Health Care of some sort will also further bankrupt middle America. Honestly, our debt will probably prevent us from being able to accomplish anything, and we will glide into 3rd world status, with obliarchs running, ruining, everything. 1984, we are here. Atlas Shrugged.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 1:49 AM

It's always a surreal shock to be fired. But not uncommon and often not detrimental at all. Get back to us in a year and tell us how wonderfully it all worked out.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 1:54 AM

I guess it’s a nuance that is a variable consideration depending on where you work.

If I worked at a 5 person company facing bankruptcy, sure.

I got laid off from an international conglomerate. I was happily relieved of the role but had heard from colleagues I might get a little more so I was disappointed.

Drawing a salary through February...

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 1:56 AM

"...severance is basically two months worth of salary" As R18 said, that is NOT a decent severance. How old are you, 25?

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 2:04 AM

R26 Not true. I know many “white collar” workers who were laid off from their jobs and received only a 2 weeks severance after being with the company for years.

Anyway OP, there are lots of good things to come out of this if you think about it. You know all those projects around the house that you’ve been putting off because you never had time to get around to because you were busy with work? Well, now you’ve got time (and no excuses) to tackle those things. Also, as someone else said, you have no excuse to be too tired to exercise if you don’t already. If you have family or friends you haven’t had time to meet up with lately, meet up with them.

Having your time back while looking for a new job really is a great thing.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 2:05 AM

OP, do not waste too much time searching and applying for jobs online. GIve it a go, but don't rely on it. There's a hiring culture out there in which employers will absolutely ignore most applications and you'll never even hear back from them except for the rejection email weeks later. Work your connections instead; that's how employers hire. Your next job is most likely to come from someone you already know. i didn't want to believe it, but that's what happened for me.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 2:14 AM

What r37 says. I got laid off in 2010 when my position at an insurance company was eliminated and still haven’t gone back to work. Obviously, my severance ran out a long, long time ago and I find ways of supplementing my income, but I never found the same level or type of work again.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 2:49 AM

I feel your pain, OP. I've been laid off since March, and I only have 7 weeks until unemployment benefits run out. It's been painful. COBRA costs a small fortune, but at least I have health insurance, I guess. I came close to getting a job a couple of times, but lost out after the first or second interview. The worst part is that they say in their form letters that the made the offer to someone either with more experience or with 'more appropriate' experience. I did find out the exact person they hired instead of me from one of the companies. It turns out he had similar, but LESS, experience, but ***ding-ding-ding*** he was about 20 years younger than me. My problem is that I'm 55. They hired a guy who appears (from Linked-in) that is in his mid-30s. I even spoke to the guy. You see he was the hiring manager for a lower position that I also applied for. Not surprisingly, I did not get that job either.

It hurts that my science career appears that it might be over because of my age. Who want to hire a old PhD when they can hire a much younger person who has lower expectations on salary, who has more "energy". My doctorate, along with all those years of school and postdoc training, is useless when the only future I see is bagging groceries at Trader Joe's.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 5:54 AM

R39 How was. That said, if you have a PhD and are 55, certainly you’ve made some good money over the years and have a lot saved up, right?

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 5:58 AM

R40 *How sad

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 5:59 AM

Even though I have about $900k in my 401k right now, it could be much less in the next few months, considering the behavior of the stock market lately. Yeah, it's better than having nothing saved, but it doesn't seem to be enough, truthfully. I should be working for another 8-10 years. I don't want to retire yet. But I have to face reality that I have to look into some other kind of 'career', if you can call it that at this late stage of my life. All I really care about is having an interesting job with benefits. The benefits matter to me more than salary. But who would want to hire a 55 year old biochemist? Maybe I lack the creativity to figure out the other possibilities.

On the other hand, life is good. I have a wonderful partner (also laid off). I have my health (mostly good). And a roof over my head. I'm counting my blessings, but it's still frustrating about the job thing.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2019 6:11 AM

OP - I've been laid off a number of times (I'm 58) and it's been tough each time. I'm thankful to have a supportive partner (who've I've also supported off and on over the years...) and I've been lucky to find new roles. What I've generally done is when I don't have a job - I gin up my consulting business and go out to my network for gigs. I'm not embarrassed to ask - and people in my network have been very generous. Several times, consulting gigs have led to real jobs. Hang in there. Stay positive. Treat each day like a work day - but don't overwork youself looking for a job. Trying to enjoy some of the downtime if you can. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2019 6:14 AM

R42 maybe you could teach? Depending on the HS, or type of college, the kids can be amazing and its a very interesting job, and if you like it, you won't have to do it until you burn out. I'm your age and teach college and the students give me a lot of energy and make the job worthwhile. Good antidote for the cynicism and pessimism of old age.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2019 12:01 PM

Hang in there, OP. I’ve been laid off before. I found something better. While you job hunt and collect unemployment, now you can reflect on your life , consider your options, and determine what you really want to do with the rest of your life. Now is the time to write your novel if you want, for example. Don’t despair. Use the time you’ve been given to make life changes. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2019 12:31 PM

Lots of good advice on here, OP!

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2019 12:36 PM

All of the stories where a person rebounds from being laid off appear to involve having a supportive partner. What happens when you are single and laid off? Or worse, if you get laid off and an unsupportive partner dumps you? What then?

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2019 2:09 PM

I was surprised at how helpful my linked in contacts were when I was job hunting. There is no shame in getting laid off, OP.

R 13's advice is the best, but also make time for yourself. Spend some time re-charging, relaxing and being peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2019 2:15 PM

I recently was involved in all that surrounds a new hire. I reviewed more resumes than I can count and interviewed 7 candidates. It was a very tough choice and it went down to a final two, but one of them was currently unemployed, having been laid off this past winter. I selected the laid off worker because it felt like the right thing to do. The other candidate, currently employed, probably had more experience, but the unemployed guy (almost 50) was very open and honest about his fears and struggles to find employment.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2019 2:16 PM

I can get you a job licking envelopes. We have a high turnover for some reason!

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2019 2:36 PM

What happens when you are single and laid off? I contact my wealthy mother and she sends me a monthly check.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2019 2:48 PM

R37 is spot on. I had the luxury of a taking a year off because I was so burnt out and once I was ready to go back to my industry, I wasted endless hours on bullshit job sites only to have my network come thru in a big way. It was a waiting game because timing is everything but I wish I cope have those hours back applying to jobs I knew in my gut I wanted zero part of! Good luck OP. Network your ass off.

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2019 5:20 PM

Back in the height of the recession, I was contacted by a number of people in my network, asking for introductions to anyone I knew who might be able to help them find a job after getting laid off. Most of them had been in and were seeking positions higher than me so I figured they were all hitting every single person they knew. Even for those of you happily employed, it's critical to build and sustain that network.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2019 5:04 PM

One of the many shitty ridiculous things we do as a corporate culture is the "hiring process." It is stupid from start to finish. Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2019 5:07 PM

OP: ask your partner if he'll fuck you - and then you can say you "just got laid"

by Anonymousreply 55August 19, 2019 5:11 PM

I was recently laid off, but it will be nearly impossible for me to find another job in my field, because nobody wants to hire someone over 50. Now I'm trying to figure out what I can do for my second act. Maybe something a little less homophobic than my old job. That would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2019 4:27 AM

R56 - curious what your old job was. NFL quarterback? Wall Street trader? Priest?

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2019 10:38 AM

R49 that was very kind.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2019 10:48 AM

R49, you’re a treasure. Most hiring managers engage in knee-jerk HR think: “laid off = undesirable.”

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2019 11:37 AM

Economy's fantastic. You'll end up with a better job, more salary, and a greater challenge in no time. It's an employee's market. Perfect time for anyone to make a move.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2019 11:44 AM

OP, I think if you are honest with potential employers and the attitude in your original post comes through you will do well. You come across as being competent and confident, but not arrogant. And someone who values their colleagues.

Two months is normal, but not great. 60 days is what is required when a larger organization does significant layoffs and it also aligns with the typical banking garden leave period. Not sure why they would feel obligated to give you more. Like you said, it’s “decent.”

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2019 12:00 PM

Start finding THE JOY in writing cover letters. Effective — not long — letters. LinkedIn is the finest "social media" platform: Better than Facebook. Better content. Better behavior. You are now in the digital age. Your job-hunt should be digital! You want to make it EASY for employers to hire you. You'll probably luck out and find something quick. Steer clear of "GUILT" advice — reading articles like 5 EMBARRASSING MISTAKES YOU WANT TO AVOID ON YOUR RESUME.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2019 12:16 PM

Yesterday on my weekly call with my mananger, my chest caved in as he sighed and started talking about revenue for 2020. I thought he was about to explain why I was getting laid off. We have had a few arguments this year and I'm pretty sure he would throw me under the bus if it saved his skin.

In any case, I did not get laid off. It could have just been about revenue for 2020 or he could just be softening me up by setting up the 'no revenue, layoff" scenario.

I am scared of being laid off now I'm middle-aged. On the other hand, I'd welcome a forced sabbatical with pay. It's been 7 years in my current position and the longest break I have had is 1 1/2 week off. The problem is not being able to control how long that sabbatical will be. I want 3-4 months off, but reading posts here about older DLers who have been job searching for months and years spooks me.

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2019 12:37 PM

Live beneath your means. Everyone should aim to do that because it means you are that much a slave to “the man,” you can save like a maniac and lay offs don’t incite hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2019 11:06 PM

That much LESS a slave to the man ^

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2019 11:07 PM

R64, I do and always have. I actually have enough to take a sabbatical, but don't want to dig into my savings/investments as I have sacrificed a lot over the years to ensure I can retire comfortably. So I'm digging in and seeing if I can grit through the job--it's a 100K plus job and I don't feel I can just walk away. But as the daily headaches continue, I don't know if I can hang on. I'm afraid I'm going to cave and fire myself. That's why in a way, I would welcome being laid off. I just don't want to be fired. Which blights my daily interactions with my manager. I used to be able to just work, have disagreements (cordial), offer differing opinion and even make mistakes in previous years. But now, I feel like I'm tiptoeing on glass as I feel any slip-up is going to give my manager enough to can me.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2019 12:26 AM

I really thought I was a shoe-in for a job I recently interviewed for at a small, privately owned company: recommended by a mutual friend of the owner, two great interviews, extremely well qualified, good follow up. On Friday he emailed me that I was one of three final candidates and they’d make a decision this week.

They haven’t contacted any of my references and there’s only two business days left. I’m thinking it’s not looking good.

I’m 49, out of work for 6 months. Two weeks of unemployment insurance left.

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2019 12:37 AM

Been out of work since May, worked for same business for 28 years, now 63 years old. Have some savings but it was for retirement. Have applied for quite a few positions all over the world. I am flexible that way. My dog just died and I can't stop crying. Yep I am officially a mess.

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2019 3:10 AM

R68, Sorry about your dog.

by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2019 4:35 AM

Can you work part time while you look for another job, or does that affect unemployment benefits? I would want to keep the money flowing, even if it’s a fraction of what you’re used to.

by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2019 4:37 AM

R68 - so sorry about you dog. I know how rough that can be to lose a beloved pet. Hang in there. Even though DL is full of bitches, there are a lot of DLers who can be supportive and encouraging when things get tough.

by Anonymousreply 71August 22, 2019 7:49 AM

Can we have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2019 8:01 AM

OP, you should be happy to get out of the propaganda industry.

The advertising/marketing industry is akin to pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2019 8:26 AM

ANYONE EVER QUIT a job that they hated anyway because they literally felt like any day they would be getting fired, so instead quit beforehand?..

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2019 1:09 PM

R74 yes. And now karma is biting me in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2019 1:55 PM

R74, no, but I'm considering it. One friend advised doing it only if I can't stand it any longer and if my finances allow it. Another friend said he would punch me in the eye if I walked away from my job without another one in hand.

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2019 2:38 PM

Huh...I thought our economy was great.

by Anonymousreply 77August 22, 2019 2:49 PM

R77 the job market is, if you’re under 40

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2019 2:55 PM

Yeah, if you're older than 30 or 35, the job market would like you to just die, please. Preferably quietly and with as little muss and fuss as possible.

by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2019 2:57 PM

ageism is huge, and getting bigger it seems? so much for us as a society (who are getting older aren't we) adjusting !... all i know is EVERYONE gives me advice at my age on what i should do for a 2nd act of a career that makes good or at least decent money, in fact, it usually starts off with "at your age (like what i'm 100?!)".. most of the advice? runs along something like "at your age, you need to find a career that no one knows exists or no one wants to do so they don't care if your 18 or 80, they'll hire you and you'll make really good money!" UM, LIKE WHAT "CLEANING RATS OUT OF SEWERS?!" i don't want to do that either! OR "at your age, you need to start your own business, then you don't have to worry about ageism or anyone hiring or not hiring you!" SOUNDS GREAT, what kind of business? "oh, i don't know, i'm just saying!"....

by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2019 9:42 PM

Through luck that there are openings and because I could call on good references, I'm in strong contention for two jobs with companies I'd be happy to migrate to. One will probably also mean a higher salary. Both are in the same industry I have been in. Any resumes I've sent to companies in other fields or without a known reference have led to nothing. It's really ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2019 10:49 PM

R81 I hope you're not a contention for a job with companies who produce mindless Woke Nonsense like this—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2019 8:48 AM

Good news, OP. I hope you get one of the 2 jobs.

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 8:58 AM

Well I finally got the news that I didn’t get the job. What kills me is that I thought I NAILED the interviews; I guess I’m just not as likable as I thought I was.

And Q4 is always the worst time to find a job, other than menial seasonal positions.

FML. No really, FUCK MY LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2019 1:58 PM

All signs are pointing to a recession brewing, which will only complicate finding a job as most employers freeze hiring during a slowdown.

It’s coming, folks. Hang on.

by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2019 5:09 PM

R84 You sound like a prima donna.

The average employee will be 'sacked' 4 times in their 40 year working life. Get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 86August 23, 2019 9:34 PM

40 years?, uh try 50 plus.

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2019 11:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!