Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Norway

Let's all chip in on DL and buy Norway.

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2019 11:28 PM

Good idea. I don't want to get into a bidding war for Greenland.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 3:06 AM

Norway is filthy rich with oil money, hope that you have deep pockets

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 3:07 AM

Can I return it within 30 days if I don't like it?

Is there a restocking fee?

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 4:31 AM

You could buy cowardly Sweden, loser Denmark or the appeasing Finland cheaper

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 6:35 AM

It's not for sale. You couldn't afford it anyway. Too much oil.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 6:39 AM

It doesn't have to be "for sale" R5. It's all about the deal. It's an art, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 11:00 AM

Not just oil, but "white gold," the dammed rivers generating many megawatts of electricity, the excess of which they have traditionally sold to power Sweden's heavy industry.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 11:27 AM

Let's not ....... They're detecting nuclear fallout/increased radiation levels from "recent activity" in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 11:30 AM

With the nuclear fallout we are sure to get a great deal. Even DL can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 5:54 PM

Jesus, what the hell would we DO with it? We can’t even keep up with Puerto Rico, and it’s virtually next-door. I’ll pass on this one.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 6:17 PM

About Greenland, I say Donald Trump is onto something. Only instead of buying it, let's SWAP. We'll give Denmark, oh, Hawaii, if they'll give us Greenland. It's like Monopoly, only without any money changing hands. So simple!!!! That's why it would appeal to our president.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 6:47 PM

Is it on Amazon Prime?

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 6:53 PM

Can't we buy a warmer country?

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 6:55 PM

Gå faen deg.

Go fuck yourself in Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2019 9:04 PM

What if we buy Great Britain before it crashes out of the EU via Brexit?

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2019 9:06 PM

Think of the wonderful movies we could own!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2019 9:38 PM

How much has been collected so far for this promising purchase?

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2019 10:20 PM

How much is the monthly payment?

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 1:10 AM

I'll trade you Greenland for Ventnor Avenue and the Water Works.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 5:36 PM

They took the Jesus out of their capital.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 5:45 PM

They have a capital?

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2019 10:45 PM

R20 meaning?

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 10:58 PM

Whom, exactly, would the US "buy" Norway FROM?

Rhetoric aside, Greenland IS (kind of) "owned" by Denmark. Norway is a fully independent country that's beholden to nobody besides itself.

If Denmark "sold" Greenland to the US, it would be getting money for something it's likely to lose sovereignty over ANYWAY within another decade or two. Norway isn't going anywhere.

Greenland isn't poor, but it's not filthy rich, either. If the US offered to give every Greenlander $50k/year for life in return for voting to join the US, there's probably a good chance they'd seriously consider it. Norwegians would just sneer. Attempting to buy the love & loyalty of Norwegians would be like trying to buy the love & loyalty of a trust-fund twink who already HAS three houses, a Mustang GT his dad gave him for Christmas (that he hates, because he REALLY wanted a Lamborghini, but his dad made him get something "practical"), and thinks nothing of spending $5,000 on a random Friday night with his friends.

Even if a million dollars or so WOULD be enough to sway 50% of Norwegians to vote to join the US, Norway has 100 times the population of Greenland. A million dollars per Greenlander over 20 years works out to $50 billion... not exactly pocket change, but not inconceivable by US budgetary standards. The same amount for Norway would come out to $5 trillion. The US might be wealthy and not particularly averse to deficits, but even by US standards, that would be completely over the top. "Buying" Norway under those terms would be like a once-profitable company acquiring another one in a leveraged buyout & ultimately bankrupting both companies in the process.

If Norway had a metaphorical gun to its head and had to choose between joining the US or EU to avoid getting invaded by Russia, it would probably be close to dead-even odds which one it would pick... but it wouldn't be the slightest bit happy about either choice, and more than a few Norwegians under those conditions would probably vote to roll the dice and join Russia just to spite both the US and EU for making them choose at all.

In metaphorical American terms, Greenland is kind of like John Snow... loved by his father, but will never officially be equal in status to his half-brothers. Denmark is like a kid from an old-money family whose actual net worth and lifestyle makes him solidly middle-class, but who can be quite idealistic and stubborn... especially if he even THINKS you MIGHT be trying to twist his arm into doing something he doesn't want to do. Norway is like a kid whose mom grew up in a cash-poor but proud old-money family, gambled the family's wealth on her husband's crazy business idea, and ended up married to Jeff Bezos.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 11:47 PM

Sweden could annex Norway, again, then sell it. Problem solved. Sorry, Norway.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2019 12:25 AM

I'm also voting for Britain. They'll be fucked after Brexit and it would be great to have a colony in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2019 4:08 AM

It's no secret the US has been itching to acquire new territory and Greenland is just the perfect place to begin our future expansion.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2019 4:37 AM

Is this proposal in any way tied to Finnish sprinter Markus Poyhonen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 5:50 AM

Norway could function well as the 51st state in the union. First we take Norway and then Sweden.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 6:01 AM

Finland and Norway are not the same “country”, R27.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 6:02 AM

[quote] Finland and Norway are not the same “country”, R27

Your point is?

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 6:06 AM

If I have to explain my point, R30, it would be that you’ve proved it. American parochialism - always good for a laugh for the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2019 6:09 AM

r21

Why would anyone want to go to a country that has a capital named after Hyacinth's brother-in-law

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2019 9:44 AM

[quote]What if we buy Great Britain before it crashes out of the EU via Brexit?

Yes, PLEASE!

Then I wouldn't have to pay exorbitant import prices for Dubble Bubble & Pancake Syrup....we might even get IHOP.

& we'll ALL start saying "Gurl, puhlease!" and such.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2019 10:00 AM

Too cold for my caftan.

Can't we buy some place more temperate and fabulous like Mallorca or The Seychelles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2019 11:05 AM

“In Soviet Union, Norway buy YOU!”

Oh and in reality too, they’re rich as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2019 11:24 AM

[quote]Can't we buy some place more temperate and fabulous like Mallorca or The Seychelles?

Those places aren't warm all year round. Long dreary winters.

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2019 11:24 AM

R23 -- it's a joke.

Relax

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2019 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!